LORAC PRO Palette

LORAC PRO Palette
Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I hate being THAT GIRL, that one reviewer that has to blow a highly rated and raved about product out of the water with a low ranking. I already understand that I'm in the tiny minority of people who dislike this palette, but I'm hoping that anyone with similarly sensitive eyes/skin like me might find this useful. So ladies who find themselves allergic to all the things, this is for you!

I fell in love with the LORAC PRO Palette the second I swatched it at Sephora. The shadows felt buttery and gorgeous, and the pigmentation was super high. I'd already been using their Behind the Scenes Eye Primer for 6 months, and I was very curious to try more products from this brand. Every Sephora and Ulta near me was OOS when it came to this palette, which only made me that much more desperate to get my hands on it! I placed a rush order for 2 of these babies - one for me, and one for my mom, who had told me she was in need of some matte eyeshadows and a few purple-y shades. The PRO palette had both of those and more.

The first day I tried this, I was amazed by just how high the pigmentation was! I barely needed to dab at each shadow to get a ton of product. What LORAC did well here is noteworthy:

-- Listening to consumers about wanting a palette that offers true versatility. PRO is full of mattes and shimmers, highlighters and crease shades, neutrals and jewel tones, and of course most any color could be used either as a "one and done" wash or applied wet as a liner. I appreciate that LORAC offers something that could truly be an everyday/perfect travel palette, especially for cool-toned and fair girls. (The Naked palettes have always been too muddy, too shimmery, and too lacking in variety for my coloring and tastes.)

-- They offered a decent amount of product per pan, and the mini tube of BtS was just right for the price point. (For reference, my full-sized tube is slightly less than half full after half a year's use!)

-- The formula is long-lasting, easily blended, and the colors are true to pan.

However, the "soothing botanicals" (as noted by Sephora, a detail I saw after the fact) triggered an AWFUL reaction for me. I'm VERY allergic to plant-based ingredients. The online store I ordered from (Blush.com) did not mention this detail, but I feel stupid for not doing better research! In my own defense, I've never come across powder shadows that contain botanicals before, and in fact, powder eyeshadows are the one product that I've never had an issue with... until now. :(

The first day I used these, I wore them for about three hours before looking in the mirror and realizing that both my eyes looked bloodshot. They were itchy and my contacts felt foggy. I removed my lenses, stripped my entire face of makeup, and within an hour the redness subsided. The following day, the inner corner of my left eye turned a scary shade of bright red within about 20 minutes of applying the shadows in a smoky, smudgy eye look. Again, I removed everything and added some eye drops, and the problem cleared within another hour. I realized I was probably reacting to the powders, but because I'd started to fall in love with this palette, I stubbornly gave it one more try, doing a no-makeup makeup look with them the next day. BOOM. Same issue once again.

Worst of all, I had to double wash all the brushes I used with this palette. I realized that the spot cleaning I do wasn't enough to get all the powdery residue out of some of the hairs, meaning I wound up irritating my eyes again after I put the palette aside. However, once everything was properly cleaned and the palette had been taken far away from my stash, I never had another breakout. I know these eyeshadows were responsible, because again, I've used the BtS primer before, and I wasn't using any other new products at the time.

I was genuinely heartbroken about having to return the PRO palette after three days of receiving it. Nearly all of the colors worked for my NW15 skin and green eyes. I especially adored Mauve (matte cool rose-purple), Espresso (matte cool deep brown), Champagne (sparkly, gorgeous nude highlighter), Garnet (shimmery red-based gold with a slight duochrome quality), and Deep Purple (shimmery blue-based royal purple). I'm trying to find dupes for all of these shades right now.

This product received 2 stars because if I hadn't had an allergic reaction, my score would have easily been a 5. I still think the price is right for the product you receive, the versatility is wonderful, and the eye primer is a true winner. Also, my mother is crazy for her own PRO palette - she hasn't had a single issue and she gets compliments on it constantly. But for anyone who has sensitivity issues, particularly when it comes to plant-based ingredients, proceed with caution!

I was torn between this and one of the Urban Decay Naked palettes, which I'm yet to try, but chose this because of the range of matte shades and because I have a mild allergic reaction to some eyeshadows and I heard LORAC is especially formulated for sensitive eyes. I certainly didn't regret the purchase. In fact, it's one of the best makeup purchases I've ever made.

PROS:
*Value for money. Though the eyeshadows are small, they're highly pigmented and good quality, and for the price, you get a good range.
*The range of colours is great. If this is the only eyeshadow palette you have, it's enough.
*You can create A LOT of different looks with the selection of shades. You can create a dramatic metallic gold look, a natural matte pinky/brown contour, use the plum, black or espresso shades as liners, use the white and cream to blend with and lighten the other shades, or go for a full-on smokey evening look with the black, slate and purple.
*The shadows are all creamy, highly-pigmented, good quality shadows. Easy to apply and, in my experience, longwearing.
*Half the shadows are matte and half shimmer. I love having both options.
*NONE OF THE SHADES IRRITATE MY SENSITIVE EYES. Woohoo!

CONS:
*The case. It's dumb. It's made of cardboard, so it gets dirty, and it doesn't clip shut or anything. So it's not ideal for throwing in a makeup bag.
*The Sephora pic does make the colours in general look a little more purple/blue than they are. The palette is basically pretty earthy. I have no issues with the actual colours, I just thought I should point that out.
*I do, however, wish there was a light or mid-toned grey to go with the dark metallic charcoal "slate" shade. The colours generally tend toward golds and warm pinky-browns, so there are less options for grey/silver/blue tones.
*You can't actually buy the colours separately, so if you find one you love (nude!), too bad.

THE MATTE COLOURS:

WHITE: This is a basic white. Practical, a bit chalky but better than other whites I've tried. I've also hit bottom way before the others, because I tend to sweep it up to the brow-bone.

CREAM: I rarely use this, because I'm pale and it's exactly the same shade as my powder (NARS loose powder in "snow.")

TAUPE: This is really more of a warm mid-toned fawn colour. I think of taupe as more cool-toned. Good shade, though.

LIGHT PINK: Basic pale pink; pretty and practical.

MAUVE: Now THIS is what I'd call taupe. It's a cool-toned, soft light brown. Great for using in the crease, and easy to blend. I use it a lot.

SABLE: A darker, warmer brown. Like a squirrel.

ESPRESSO: A rich cocoa brown. Highly pigmented and good for lining and even adding hair-strokes to brows with a narrow angled brush. One of the best basic matte dark browns I've ever had.

BLACK: A really rich, highly pigmented black. I choose this over the blacks in some of my other palettes because it's so pigmented. It blends well, too. Use with "Slate" for a dramatic smoky eye.

THE SHIMMER COLOURS:

NUDE: The perfect shimmery neutral. I've hit bottom, and I don't know what to do about it. I used to use Laura Mercier Sateen Eye Colour in Sandstone, but they changed the damn formula. This is a dupe for the original - maybe a touch lighter. It's pearlescent rather than glittery - the shimmer is really finely milled. You only need to tap your brush in it once for the whole lid too, so a little goes a long way.

CHAMPAGNE: Similar colour, but very glittery. I don't use it much. More beige than it looks in the Sephora pic. (EDIT: I have been using this more since the nude ran out, and I actually love it, glitter and all. It really brightens the eye).

GOLD: A true, rich, light metallic gold. Really pretty. Looks nice under the lower lashes, too.

LIGHT BRONZE: Lighter and a touch more yellow than the gold, with finely-milled shimmer. It makes a good neutral, and make your eyes pop.

PEWTER: Cooler-toned shimmery taupe. It's lovely. I use this under the lower lashes, too.

GARNET: Metallic rust. It's not a colour I use much, as I don't tend to wear ruddy autumnal shades, but it's fun for a change, and a lovely formula.

DEEP PURPLE: I just realised I haven't used this at all, and I have no idea why. I guess I don't wear plum much? It doesn't blend well, but works great as a liner.

SLATE: This is my second favourite, after "Nude." A deep metallic charcoal, with a lot of sparkle. It makes my blue eyes look HUGE, especially with the White and Black, and Nude in the inner corners of the eyes. Makes me want to experiment with more blues and greys.

In short, I love this palette and would repurchase. My only issue is that I'm running out of the neutrals, and can't replace them because they're not sold separately. This is a strange move on LORAC's part, because they've got me hooked on a couple of shades, and I'll have to go out and find dupes in other brands. GAH!

If anyone can recommend a non-irritating shimmery neutral to rival "Nude," please let me know! It seems like a basic that would be easy to find, but I have to buy most of my makeup online, so I rely on reviews and word-of-mouth to find reliable staples.

Sorry my reviews are so verbose.

EDIT: I found another downside to this otherwise awesome palette. When you hit the pan in the small square-shaped shadows, all that's left is in the four corners, so it's really hard to coat your brush with it. Even harder to pick it up with a narrow angled liner brush. This is a minor gripe, and not a dealbreaker, but round shadows would probably be more practical.

on 11/29/2012 2:33:00 PM

This review may be 'flamed' incredulously, but here goes...

I really, really disliked this palette. I pined over it for months but when I got it , I was disappointed at how powdery the shadows were. The slightest tap of my brush created a plume of e/s dust all over the palette and my vanity.

The colors themselves are also not too exciting. The first two of the second row look too similar on the lid. The rest of the colors were nothing out of the ordinary.

I liked the matte shadows but I felt that when worn on the lid the matte and shimmery shadows turned into a muddy mess.

The only thing I Have no complaints about is the primer. Really liked the formula and would consider buying a full size.

I returned this after giving it my best attempts to make it 'work' for me. I'm glad to hear its such a hit with others, but my experience was a bust.

on 12/24/2012 5:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

After using it continuously for one month, I think it's time to chime in my opinions on this product. I won't be discussing the colours individually since they have been reviewed beautifully by other people here.

Main features:
*) Seriously buildable & blendable. You can go for subtle, you can be shocking if you want to, and whatever way you choose, those colours will just blend.
*) You can't go wrong with the colour selection. Even if I close my eyes, pick up 3 colours randomly from the palette, I'm sure I can make it work.
*) Minimum fallout.
*) This palette can bring you from daytime to nighttime.
*) Crappy packaging. This is what I get for the price? For the lack of the proper term, I'll just call it cardboard wrapping. The slim size makes it perfect for travelling but that cardboard can't withstand too much shaking.

Will I recommend this product? Yes, under the following circumstances: 1. you are just starting to build your eyeshadow collection, 2. there is a particular colour here that you just can't live without, 3. you are considering this as a gift. Otherwise I'd have to say it's not a must-have item because at the end of the day it doesn't compare favourably with its peers. It is a good product on its own but in the world of makeup, comparison is inevitable. I can find substitutes for most of the colours, both glitter and matte, within Wet & Wild and Sleek palettes collection and still get about the same quality of eyeshadows. *gasp*. Did I just compare drugstore brands with Lorac? Yes, I did. And no, I'm not sorry.

on 11/20/2015 11:12:00 PM

SUMMARY/VERDICT:
I bought the Lorac Pro palette, my second mid-brand palette, because I thought I needed a true neutrals palette. And Pro does exactly that. The problem is that it does very little else.

Suffice it to say that the Lorac Pro palette is just very uninspiring. With some palettes, you look at the eyeshadows and immediately pull together a very nice look. Maybe it's my skin (fair-medium Asian neutral golden), but the Pro palette just didn't let me put together looks without help from other palettes. The quality is certainly there; it just wasn't very special. It's like going to a fancy restaurant with no extraordinary dishes. You shelled out a ton of money, sure the food's good, but you're kind of regretting that you didn't try that Japanese/Moroccan/Afghan restaurant down the street.

Buy it if...
You don't have any other neutral palettes.
You're an absolute noob in makeup
You love to work with browns and warm colors
You like to vary things up every day by using slightly different shadows
You have pale or fair skin
You want a safe gift for somebody who's into makeup

Don't buy it if...
You already have even just one or two other neutral palettes
You like pops of colors or non-brown shades
You don't like warm colored makeup
You tend to prefer to use a select few shades at one time
You have dark skin
You're looking for something that'll blow your mind

PALETTE QUALITY
First of all, the shadows are across the board very nice to work with. The top 8 eyeshadows are all mattes and the bottom shades are all shimmers. Both of them, on the whole, are smooth and easy to work with -- with the exception of the one glitter shade Champagne, which has some unappetizing fallout. The shadows do tend to be a little powdery, but it's nothing that will really affect you much, unless you're accustomed to stabbing your brush into the pan.

If you're looking for Stila Kitten style shimmers -- i.e. bold, glamorous, and ultra-shimmery -- you're not going to get it here. These shimmers tend to be on the softer side, which for some people might work well, but I personally rely on a good bold shimmer to get that inner corner sparklin'. However, if you like softer, more subtle shimmers, these are the ones for you.

The mattes are fairly smooth and pigmented, except for (ironically) Black, which is actually kind of lame -- workable, but still lame. These are workhorse mattes, and if you had money to burn, I could see why you'd be attracted to the mattes.

COLOR SELECTION:
Here is where I think the Pro palette fails the hardest. Many shades are near dupes of each other (White/Cream/Light Pink, Nude/Champagne, Black/Grey/Dark Purple). You're paying for 16 different shades, but in practicality, you're really getting just 11. I would have much preferred it if they had made the colors less similar -- for example, make the dark purple less purple, exchange the champagne for a silver, etc.

This very warm-leaning palette is filled with creams, true browns, a couple of pinkish-browns, and one or two greys and reds. I would say that 6 are light colors, 6 are medium colors, and 4 are dark colors -- so definitely angled towards a very "daily look" aesthetic. In fact, it's so "daily look" that it's reached the point where the color selection is the stereotype of a "daily look" palette. And that's the Achilles heel of the palette. You can play with the colors all you like, but in the end, you're only really going to get two looks -- either a very brown smokey eye or neutral "daily" looks of slight variation.

I also have qualms as to whether people of color would be able to benefit much from this palette. I'm fair-medium, angling more on the fair, and even with a primer and base, the shadows don't really show up much on me; nor is there really much variation even in the colored shades (e.g. Pewter and Garnet aren't THAT different). On pale skin I'm sure it would be more noticeable. I doubt medium-dark skin would benefit much -- but don't take it from me.

COST/CASE/PRESENTATION:
When you buy the Pro palette, it comes in a sleek looking cardboard box with a small Lorac primer sample. It's elegant enough and certainly not cheap looking. The palette is slim, sleek, and well designed. You're definitely getting your money's worth, aesthetically.

The case itself is rubberized cardboard. Many people rant about it because it does attract dust, fingerprints, and eyeshadow residue, but that's never really been a big thing for me. There is a nice large mirror inside the case, above the eyeshadows.

Now I do have issues with the size of the pans, which are penny-sized. It's kind of like paying $42 dollars for a sample of 16 small appetizers. To eat all of them would take you a while, sure. But you're naturally going to prefer some appetizers (like Nude, Light Bronze, or Taupe), and you're probably not going to eat much of some others (like Black, Slate, White, and Deep Purple). A sampler is great for a beginner in makeup or someone with very few makeup palettes. But if you already know what you want or what looks good with you, why bother?

CONCLUSION:
If you're willing to spend $42 for a sampler of neutral shadows, then go for it. If you're a beginner at makeup, this is certainly a good mid-range starter. And the colors will work even better with fair/pale skin.

But otherwise -- not to diss the quality of the shadows -- you're probably better off spending your money on a palette with fewer colors, but more shades that you'll use, and more variety of looks.

on 9/12/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have to disagree with most of the reviewers and ask "What's all the hype?"
This was terrible! Whilst the colours are very pretty, there is very little pigment to them and I struggled to make them show up. They all kind of muddled together. I tried several different primers but still go the same result. There's also a lot of fall out with some of the colours.
I even gave this to a makeup artist friend to play with and she didn't like it either.
I have Revlon eye shadows that have better pigment than this.

on 12/19/2012 4:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This is a great palette to purchase if you are looking for a good starter neutral palette since you get slightly less product than average, but more color variety with the mattes and shimmers. Here are a few things I noticed:

1. This palette varies depending on where you purchase it from. Some palettes do not have all mattes on the top and all shimmers on the bottom. The WHITE color in my palette has shimmer in it so I really have 7 mattes and 9 shimmers even though the box claims that WHITE is matte. I've heard from several people who purchased this at Sephora who also had a shimmery WHITE. Even though the color is pretty, it's either a production error or false advertising.

2. The quality is good but not the best. I saw various amounts fallout with almost all colors. Some, especially the mattes, apply a bit chalky and uneven. These shadows kick up A LOT of pigment when you grab product onto your brush. I usually have to blow excess off my brush and off the palette - kind of a waste.

3. I love the light, slim packaging but rubber material it gets dirty easily. The outside is prone to smudges and wear. The inside gets dirty with pigment fallout. That might not bother some people but I like my palettes to stay neat and clean.

4. Is the better than the UD Naked palettes? Yes, in terms of color variety. No, in terms of overall quality and packaging. I like because it's perfect for travel.

on 12/2/2012 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Lorac really WOWed me with the PRO palette! I usually just buy UD palettes for their pigmentation and variety, but not necessarily for their functionality. So.... when I saw the PRO Palette it was love at first swatch! :)

For my NC50 skin it is important to only buy quality shadows with superior pigmentation. The PRO palette achieved this! I can easily use this palette every single day with a new look! I sometimes feel like I have a million shimmer shades, so I was ecstatic to see the choice in the palette.

The color payoff in each shade is high and it is as soft as butter. You must be lighthanded when picking up color.The matte shades are my favorite part. I even use Espresso for my eyebrows. love it! Taupe is a great shade for cleaning up the edges of my look. Sable is an amazing transition shade. The black is dead on, love it! I have never used every color but one in any other pre-made palette! The shimmers shade are interesting choices that I love! I use Pewter the most, but Garnet, Deep Purple and Lt. Bronze are all completely unique shades. (I hate how some palettes have 10 golds, with no variety)

The packaging is sleek and feels nice to the touch. Problem is that it is cardboard and I don't see it being super durable. On the other hand, you have to be super gentle with this palette. I have gotten into depotting all my pre-made palette and I know I cannot do this with the PRO palette bc I'm afraid the shadows are too fragile. :-/ I wish Lorac would sell individual shades in pans. But I can't have it al!

Overall: This should be in the arsenal to any MUB! Wonderful quality awesome price of $42 for all the color choices. Amazing combination of matte and shimmer shades. I would recc for anyone who has to get one palette, it is so versatile, you can't go wrong!

on 1/21/2013 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

If you are looking for a HG palette and your lids are closer to mature than young, well this is for you. I wasted $50 buying the UD Naked 2 palette only to find almost all the shadows were tooooo shimmery for my 49-year-old lids. Enter Lorac Pro Palette-half matte, half shimmer. And the shimmer is more of a satin look when applied than a metallic mess like UD was for me. There is a little fallout on some of the shimmer shades, just tap the excess off the brush before applying. These colors are all very wearable and blend like a dream. I use this palette literally every day.

on 11/17/2012 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a very nice palette, great quality buttery shadows, great packaging,,,,BUT

If you are like me and already own the 2011 Bejeweled Day & Night palettes, you already own most of these colors already. I really wish Lorac had been more original and gone with different, even slightly different colors. Also the Day & Night palettes were a MUCH better Value for the money (at $56 comes with 32 shadows, 2 blushes, a huge bronzer, 2 eyeliners, and 2 lip glosses). It kinda puts the $42 price tag on the Pro palette to shame.

Here is what is duplicated EXACTLY--same EXACT shade:

Taupe - is in the Day palette (top row 3rd one over)
Black - is in the Night palette (3rd row down 4th one over)
Nude - in Day palette (top left)
Champagne - Night (4th row 1st one)
Lt Bronze - Day (2nd row 2nd one over)
Pewter - Night (2nd row, 2nd one over
Garnet - Day (2nd row , 3rd one over)
Slate - Night (3rd row, 2nd one over)

Here are the shades that are not exact but close enough:
Cream - Day palette (2nd row down, 1st one)
Espresso - Day (1st row, 4th one over)
Gold - Day palette

So in sum, 11 out of the 16 you already have if you have the Bejeweled Day and Night palettes from holiday 2011. So do you need this Pro Palette when you got a much better deal last year? NO!

I bought the Lorac Pro palette but will sadly have to return it. I just don't need all these duplicates. I have better uses for my money

I think the Day and Night palettes are even more convenient since they come with coordinating blushes. No blushes in the Pro palette.

Hope this helps someone out there.