LORAC PRO Palette

Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

4.2

on 9/12/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have to disagree with most of the reviewers and ask "What's all the hype?"
This was terrible! Whilst the colours are very pretty, there is very little pigment to them and I struggled to make them show up. They all kind of muddled together. I tried several different primers but still go the same result. There's also a lot of fall out with some of the colours.
I even gave this to a makeup artist friend to play with and she didn't like it either.
I have Revlon eye shadows that have better pigment than this.

I'm not usually compelled to write a review unless I think something hasn't gotten a lot of coverage or I feel strongly one way or another. This.....it just frustrates me.

It was after many months and reading TONS of positive reviews that I finally purchased this palette in hopes of finding one that could be my go-to travel set, instead of a half-dozen quads. I was doubly excited because my Ulta had the only one in town, and they were sold out everywhere else.

In theory, the concept of this palette is fantastic: A whole range of colors in various intensities, with both matte and shimmer options. How can you go wrong with the color choices? You can't, I think they cover all the bases for what one would need for an all-in one palette, and they appear to be dupes of many of my favorite high-end shadows. The Gold, Pewter, and Slate shades are absolute stunners!

However, either I'm a complete imbecile when it comes to shadow application or I'm just picky (or both), but I just can't make this work for me. It's not the colors or the matte vs. shimmer, it's the unfreakingbelievably crappy fallout, and weird adhesion to my lids that is making me put it back in my makeup bag and reach for something else.

Some specifics:
-The lighter matte shades go on buttery smooth and have great coverage, but even on my light (NC-25-ish) skin they look chalky.

-The darker matte shades have TONS of fallout, and I have a real problem blending them. If I tap the brush to get rid of excess shadow, there isn't much left, and I can't get a decent intensity.

-In addition to the fallout, mostly from the medium-dark matte shades, once the stuff attaches to your skin (under the eyes, of course), it is practically impossible to get off without a makeup remover, so I'd have to do my eyes first, which I usually do anyway, but I can't even blend this stuff off with fdn or a brush, I have to actually use remover. The same goes for when I apply these shades to the crease - they apply rather unevenly, and once on, just cannot be blended or cleaned up without a lot of effort or remover.

I've played with all sorts of combinations, ALWAYS use the NARS primer, use very high quality brushes, and the same general techniques as for the likes of Tom Ford and CdP (my staples), and every time I try this LORAC palette it looks "muddy", and that it STILL needs blending and cleaning up, and I just don't have that kind of time.

I don't want to have to WORK to make my makeup work.....

I'm going to skip a review of the packaging (typical LORAC short-sightedness) since it's been covered before, and it isn't half as important to me as the actual product and product delivery.

on 3/6/2013 2:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

In the palette, these colors are beautiful. They provide colors for daytime neutral looks, smoky eye looks, and dramatic evening looks.
One row of the palette is full of matte shades; the other is full of shimmers, making this palette age appropriate for most skin tones and ages. It is a palette I can use on clients, friends, and family members.

Color Payoff: Most of the colors have incredible color payoff; there is only one that appears to swatch a little on the weak side. All but one appear true to palette on my NC 40/42 skin tone.

Color Fallout: One does need to tap the brush as there is quite a bit of color fallout. Overall, the shadows do appear a bit fragile and a bit dusty. Mine has not broken or cracked anywhere as I treat it gingerly, but I treat it gingerly because the shadows do appear a bit fragile.

Staying Power: I always use these shadows with a base and have been known to wear these shadows for as many as 10 hours. Typically, these shadows go the distance for 8 hours on me and then begin to fade.

Color Comments: As an NC 40/42, some of these shadows are too dark for me. Certain purples and browns are difficult for my skin shades as I have both gray and yellow undertones (not olive). I have to make sure that I use a light hand with the darker shades as a little goes a long way.

Blendability: These shadows are blendable but the darker colors grab and dominate heavily. Again, best to use a light hand.

Texture/Appearance: Most of these shadows are highly pigmented and apply softly. Only one shade appears a little chalky on me. On most other members of my family, all of the shadows are fine so it might be a peculiarity of my skin texture and color. Some of the darker shadows do require a bit of blending. Definitely use an eyeshadow base or primer if you have any signs of aging around the eyes as the shades will settle into lines without one. In addiiton, the colors are more blendable on a smooth surface.

It is difficult to find shadows that look well on my skin type and eye shape. I cannot layer colors well or do a full smoky eye with my skin color, texture and specific facial features. Yet, I've been able to find at least one extremely wearable look on me using all but two of these colors. For me, that is beyond victory when it comes to an eyeshadow palette.

I would definitely buy it again. The only hesitation I have is the fallout and powderiness of the palette. I keep it at home or among friends/family I can drive to. I would not pack it in a suitcase or take it in my purse for fear of dustiness or breakage.

on 8/21/2014 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I got a great deal on this ($20.00 off, a small tube of primer and free shipping) that I couldn't pass up. The other reviews have already said it all regarding the pigmentation etc. and I already had the Pocket Pro and the Skinny so I pretty much knew what to expect in that area. What I didn't expect is just how much I like this palette compared to the UD Naked 1 palette which I love. I actually may like this one a tad better simply because of the mattes which, with the exception of the pink one, don't come off chalky or muddy when blended out on me (NW45) Lots of people have said if you have Naked 1 you really don't 'need' the Pro, however I think it's a nice complement to the N1. If I ever lost this I would purchase it again IF I could get the same deal.

If I could keep only one eyeshadow palette, it would def. be this one. This palette has everything I need in an eyeshadow palette, and Lorac's formula, at least in this palette, is one of the best in the industry. The shadows are soft, blend like a dream, and I can go all out glam, or subtle for casual days, and professional for work. I love it. So many looks to be made with this one. I never have to reach for any other palette to complete or compliment an eye look.

Price: $42, and its worth it

Packaging: Cardboard. Black. Ok, so not fancy, and the black does get messy with smudges that don't come off, but I'm ok with it. It has a mirror, comes with a primer, but no brush.

The only way they could have possibly made this better is to include a brush. Other than that, this one gets a blue ribbon.

on 9/14/2016 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

It took me a loooong time to jump on this bandwagon/try this palette out. Not that I didn't think the colors were pretty and right up my alley, but because I actually wasn't familiar with Lorac products. I finally picked this up recently and have to say that I can barely put it down. I adore this palette!

These go on like butta - seriously smooth! They blend like a dream and, are highly pigmented, and the color payoff is just outstanding. You get 16 shades; 8 matte and 8 frosted. I would say this is a warm toned palette, which is always waht I tend to gravitate toward. The only color in this palette I don't use is black (I don't do black or silver shadows), but even so, its stunning and performs well for those who do go for black shadow shades. Performance and formulation wise, I actually like this palette way more than my Viseart Theory palettes which only hold 6 shades per palette and cost around the same price as the Lorac palette.

This is an exceptional palette for those who are into warm shades, and a major color staple for Fall looks.

on 7/2/2015 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I've had this palette for a good three months so I've had enough chances to play with it. It's a versatile palette because in one small slim compact you can definetely create several looks, just a wash of colour on the lid, a summer bronzy look, a more classic smokey eye. So it's easily what I reach most during the week. Pewter is probably my favourite shade, with a good primer, it achieves the same performance of a high end shadow stick. There are some very interesting matte crease colours with enough pigment to complement a smokey eye and they're my favourite in the palette. I'm a bit less keen on the shimmers, as they tend to become less defined when the weather warms up and mix in an undefined brown bronze. I prefer to use the shimmers on their own, so that the colour stays true with a good primer. It's a good palette and I'm glad I've got it, but there's room for improvement.

on 12/26/2013 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this palette. Every shade is wearable and has a smooth, almost creamy consistency. I'm about to hit pan on a couple of the shades, as this palette gets a lot of use. There isn't a dud in the bunch. I highly recommend this, and I will definitely repurchase.

This is my go-to palette! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! Great pigmentation and the colors wear well.