3.4

price range

Reviews

3.0

2 years ago

The opening is a refreshing green floral, crisp clean elegant. Classic fresh grassy aldehydes, similar to those used in Miss Dior, Chanel No. 5, or Cacharel Anais Anais. or Caron Miss Rocaille. Then an elegant floral heart. But then the base ruins it for me. Kind of a spicy spicy musk base that turns up after an hour or so. To me it smells of sneeze-inducing, bitter, dirty, baby powder, mixed with and cheap and cloying teenagerish The Body Shop White Musk that annoys me and gives me a slight headache. I got the body lotion and shower gel as well and It was so base heavy for me that just going into the bathroom where I put them gave me a headache. Gorgeous bottle but the plastic cap feels and looks cheap. It doesn't click on satisfyingly and the plastic isn't sparkling crystal clear like the ones from the Ralph Lauren Romance line. It feels to me that they tried to get quality to a point (the opening to mid smells expensive!) then tried to cut too many corners. Lately I think they are making fragrances to test well while you're in the store but the fragrance doesn't work once you get the perfume home. A bit like how they make new eyeshadows to swatch well for youtube but the look pathetic on the eyes. If you can sample the whole fragrance for an hour or so and still like it, then I'd recommend it. Famly - Floral Chypre Top Notes - mandarin, raspberry, bergamot Heart Notes - white gardenias, jasmine, ylang ylang, iris root Base Notes - creamy amber, white moss, vetiver

About reviewer (1236 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

4 years ago

I love the original discontinued Ivoire and was prepared to despise the reformulation, but I can't. It's an absolutely lovely fragrance, worthy of having a completely new name. Yes, there are similarities between the two but more than enough differences to warrant a totally new name. The original Ivoire is a chypre green floral that is powdery, soapy, creamy and just a touch leathery all at the same time. The new Ivoire is a bright green floral with juicy citrus top notes and a very clean, green, woody floral drydown, and just a touch of bitterness. No powder, no leather, no creaminess and only the slightest bit soapy. It opens with a bitter burst of galbanum and mandarin. The combination gives it an acidic fizziness, like the first spurt of juice when you cut into a lemon. The violet leaf comes into play soon after, giving it a slightly earthy green note. This is then followed by rose and ylang ylang. I can't really smell either the jasmine or iris in the middle. Vetiver and cedar in the base notes keep the whole composition smelling green and crisp from start to finish. There is also patchouli and vanilla in the base notes, but they're not apparent on my skin. All up, this is a lovely bright green woody floral that smells like it's been made with quality ingredients. I have ticked that I would not repurchase for two reasons: 1 - I have FAR too many perfumes, including a couple of green florals 2 - The eau de parfum has only moderate sillage. I get the occasional whiff of perfume wafting around me occasionally, or I have to sniff my wrist to smell it. My skin can eat some perfumes, so don't let this turn you off trying it, but I will stick to fragrances that have greater sillage on me. I hate it when companies reformulate fragrances to suit modern tastes. I would prefer to see a great classic discontinued and replaced, instead of so completely revamped. Think of this as a new fragrance, rather than a revamped classic. As I stated previously, there are enough differences between the two to warrant it. Edit November 2016: I am now officially in love with this fragrance. I recently started a new job. One of my co workers is sensitive to many fragrances, and I share a small, sometimes stuffy office with one other person. Most of my usual fragrances weren't going to cut it. I found a 30ml edp bottle in my local chemist for $20AU. The low sillage and smooth composition make it perfect for close quarters. Despite moderately low sillage, longevity is all day on skin, and lasts on clothes until you wash them. This smells clean, classy, understated and expensive, and has become my every day work fragrance. I have now ticked that I would repurchase, but if I am honest, that will come down to price and how easily it is available.

About reviewer (816 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

4 years ago

Balmain Ivoire (2012) is an elegant, sophisticated perfume. The bottle is classic and elegant, also. This "new" interpretation of Ivoire is modern and yet it is obviously a close relative to the original formulation; it is still a green floral. On the journey to the long, glorious drydown, I can still sniff glimpses of the Ivoire I've known for years. Yes, Ivoire 2012 is elegant, but there is also a warm sexiness to it.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinOther, Other, Cool

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

3.0

5 years ago

Ivoire is the quintessential ivory soap in perfume form, pure and long lasting. Strikes me as a sister of Un Air de First and they do have lots of notes in common but I think I prefer the later. Un Air de First appears more sparkling and airy (must be the aldehydes and the tiny tinge of peach) while Ivoire is more dense with the grounding cedar and the earthy violet leaves. Both worth trying, though.

About reviewer (950 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Curly, Medium

EyesGreen

6 years ago

This is not a fruity perfume whatsoever. I own the old formula in pure parfum and the new in eau de parfum. While I love them both, the new formulation is much more to my liking. It's still green, but smoother and less bitter than the old. The longevity (for both) is about 8 hours on my skin, and the sillage is moderate enough that I can wear to work and not force my fragrance on others. But I still get lovely whiffs of the green perfection of Balmain Ivoire. This is a beautiful and chic scent that makes me feel beautiful, confident and happy. Can't ask for more than that! Oh wait...yes you can. A beautiful, to die for bottle and good price. Ivoire has it all. Try it!

About reviewer (7 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

6 years ago

I adore this perfume! I do not know what the original was like so I cannot compare them but this is a gorgeous scent. I sprayed it in a store a few months back and initially thought it might be too soapy (it can smell very similar to Dove soap sometimes, but this is not a bad thing to me) but I kept thinking about it. I have recently bought a small bottle and I adore it. Initially there is a floral burst, and something slightly berry-ish but that soon tones down and I am left with a wonderful, clean soapy scent. It is clean but still glamorous which is quite hard to find in a scent (I also love Dolce & Gabbana Sicily and their original red-topped perfume in this soapy/glamorous way). It is not the most long lasting of scents, although I can still smell it lightly as I am typing (now 5.45pm, sprayed it at 9am) but as it is not too strong you can apply liberally with this one. It is close to being a signature scent for me, there seem to be certain fragrances (such as Bulgari Pour Femme) which just work with my chemistry. 5 stars.

About reviewer (65 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

6 years ago

Well first off, I object to having to put a review under this heading rather than just 'Ivoire' because everything gets reformulated. But I didn't like seeing so many negative reviews so I am adding my positive one here rather than under the main listing. This is NOT a fruitchouli... that reviewer needs to get nose examined. There is no fruit, there is no patchouli. In all honesty it smells an awful lot like the original. No, it's not exact, but the original smells dated frankly. (It has that stale green bitterness you get in vintage Givency III also, versus the new update. The newer versions are doing the same thing with newer materials, which is what perfumery has always done.) The difference between this and the original is that it's a bit less green, but it still is green, and the overall character is brighter. It's still a soapy floral. If you like soapy florals, you shouldn't miss it! It feels less heavy to wear than the original and very elegant. I imagine it would make a beautiful signature scent. I love it, and I'm glad Balmain's new owners brought it up to date and relaunched it. I'm looking forward to trying more of their new re-releases.

About reviewer (154 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

1.0

7 years ago

I'm accustomed to green fragrances and normally love them. But on me the new Ivoire is naggingly bitter and soapy. In fairness I should say that I found the 1979 Ivoire too aggressive as well, but that one had earthy, mossy and almost leathery facets that at least made it interesting. The new release has been de-fanged. Bitter, bland and boring.

About reviewer (69 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

2.0

7 years ago

Ivoire was a"blind buy" and a big disappointment for me. It smells like an old-fashioned soap on my skin.I bit bitter and clean,but not fresh.It is less sharp than the Original Version. I think it is a great Perfume for people they like this kind of soapy,clean,unsweet Fragrances.It is elegant and on a special way a bit upscale.But it doesn't work for me.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

7 years ago

A clean, smooth, and elegant floral scent that is not overpowering yet lasts many hours after modest application. One of those “soapy smells of cleanliness”, but in a good way without sharp notes. To me it smells like a more comfortable and friendlier version of Van Cleef & Arpels First.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Cool