Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil

Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil
Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Shadow Pencil

2.2

on 12/9/2015 9:12:00 PM

Horrible product. Crappy materials that were not smooth to apply at all, really patchy application all over the eyelid, and the blending tool was useless, just smearing it rather than blending!
I also got some mild-to-moderate eye irritation, which was just the cherry on top.
This product belongs in the bin.

on 12/19/2014 12:24:00 AM

Got this to try purely for the smudging tip. Absolute waste of money. I do a better job with my finger! The formula makes my eyelids and lashes feel like they're sticking together. Really crap sponge/smudger tip THING. I got a better result with my Jordana mechanical pencil liner which was... $3? If that.

Meh. Nice consistency and decent color payoff, BUT it was already smudging and wearing off by the time I finished putting on my mascara. Completely unimpressed.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this product today so I'll let you know exactly what I think of it. As I've gone back to uni and no longer work full time - or at all, I decided to try some cheaper brands. This product is definitely inexpensive, I bought it from Chemist Warehouse for $8 Australian! I bought this in smoking charcoal which is a very dark grey colour and nicely pigmented. Lots of people are saying this product isn't creamy, but I think this product is definitely creamy enough! It glides on wonderfully. Now for the smudging - the cap on the smudger is dodgy, and the whole smudger came off when I pulled on it, which was easily fixed though. The smudger was fairly straight forward and simple to use. It was quite spongey and not hard at all like some people suggest - perhaps they have recently improved the product? Who knows. So it's towars the end of the day and I've noticed the product has come off a bit. This is probably due to a new cheap foundation I've bought which is quite oily without a powder - and I didn't prime or put powder on my eyelids so this is why. I had to reapply the product but I didn't mind. Overall I would buy again. Good product for beginners. Just carry it in your purse if you go out!

EDIT: Had this product for about a week and a half now. It's actually broken somehow. I opened it to find the actual product/crayon has crumpled apart. Idk. I think I bought a bad one.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I agree with many of the points reviewer laurakaaay mentions. This is perfectly fine as an everyday eyeliner. I have it in Scorching Brown. As an NC20 with blue eyes, this turned out to be a great choice for me. It's a nice black-brown which is not too dark, not too light.

I tend to apply it fairly lightly (see laurakaaay's technique below) and this works really well for me. I do use the smudger. Sure it is not the softest, squidgiest smudger but when laziness prevails, it is not terrible! I do not find it scratchy like someone mentioned but it is a tad firmer than I like. Meh, it does an ok job and it is more precise than my finger. It's very handy having it positioned on the other end of the pencil and it is protected by a well-fitting cap. I find that dabbing rather than swiping with it yields the best "bedroom eyes" smudges.

The staying power is good. I have fairly oily lids. Most of the time I am applying this alone and usually at the last minute before I rush out the door... I prep with a light application of pressed powder and find this is enough for the liner to stay put. After about 8 hours or so I see a faint transfer on my browbone but aside from this, it looks as good as when I applied it.

I had difficulty deciding whether to click yes or no to the question "Would you buy it again?" This is not really a revolutionary product and I'm sure there are probably better equivalents out there. I went with "No" in the end but that is not a reflection on how well it works. Give it a try, especially if it is on sale!

on 2/21/2014 11:18:00 PM

it's too soft. The blending sponge removes it even with a light hand. I found it works best to let the liner sit a bit before trying to blend it. The blending sponge is hard and scratchy. I have the color NY Concrete. It's a darker grey with a lot of sparkle. I will not repurchase.

on 12/26/2013 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I found the MASTER SMOKEY is easy to apply, as it doesn't drag across my eyelid or scratch the sensitive skin and the line applies with a even colour in one stroke. It is also easy to smudge the colour out. This is where my problems start, as it is too easy to smoke out - the smudger works more like an eraser for me.

Rather then this being a fast and easy alternative to using eyeshadow, I find myself having to take ten minutes blending, shaping and layering my MASTER SMOKEY until I get a nice, wearable look. Then comes problem two; this is NOT 'long lasting'. I'll look in the mirror after about six hours and there will just be a little colour in my crease, the rest of the liner will have vanished. My skin is dry and setting the liner with powder makes no difference. Ican set it with eyeshadow, but that defeats the purpose of using it for a smokey look in the first place.

It's a shame; I bought the MASTER SMOKEY on a 3 for 2, and love the colours [I have black, grey and navy]. The pencil itself is very nice; not too hard, not too soft, but the size and price is pretty bad for using this purely as a liner. Rimmel's kohl pencils are cheaper, but smudge better.

on 12/1/2013 4:29:00 PM

It smudges too much over the course of the day so that I have noticeable raccoon eyes. It works well at first to create a bold eye, but the color moves around so much that it is difficult to work with. The smudger on the end was not great for me, it kind of just erases it.

on 10/20/2013 3:41:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

First off, I was trying to take a shortcut on making a GREAT smokey eye look. Bad me!! Shame shame shame!!

This pencil went on OK but as you kept trying it kinda tugged and pulled on the lid, a big NO NO.

Smudging was a nightmare and did almost nothing... if you don't use your finger in the .5 seconds before it sets... you're screwed... I don't know why this had any good reviews but if you got it to work congrats.

I have oily lids so I don't even see how this wouldn't smudge on my lid.. but it would smudge everywhere else.

I would not repurchase or recommend.. I might just use this to line my waterline since I don't think it has any other real use.

This eyeliner is great! It isn't like the other smoky/smudge liners that wear off. After applying the line give it a few seconds to set a bit- but not too long bc when it sets it will be hard to work with. I'm loving smudging the line for a softer look then I apply some to outer v and buff as well. Also, if you want a more wearable wing this is perfect for that. I love this bc it can be used as a normal liner or you can buff it for a smudged or smoky look. I have the Smoking Charcoal and will be picking up more!