Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil

Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Shadow Pencil

2.6

on 4/12/2015 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I found these at Dollar Tree in the blue and purple shades, and for a buck apiece, I thought, why not? Well, the colors are pretty. They don't really apply that evenly, however, and you'd think, well, I can fix it with the other end's blending tip. Not quite. On me it smudges a lot of the eyeliner off. Still, they'll work well with regular eyeshadows or to add a bit of color to a black base (or as a base with a bit of black added on top.) Nice effort by Maybelline, but it's not quite there.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Pros: you can smudge it, wear it as eyeshadow, lasts all day
Cons: you cannot sharpen it and the tip gets dull
Also i got violet, and its a smoky plum/purple, i wish i got black instead.

on 12/19/2014 12:24:00 AM

Got this to try purely for the smudging tip. Absolute waste of money. I do a better job with my finger! The formula makes my eyelids and lashes feel like they're sticking together. Really crap sponge/smudger tip THING. I got a better result with my Jordana mechanical pencil liner which was... $3? If that.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm kind of whatever about this eyeliner, I have the Scorching Brown shade and it works well as an eyeliner and the smudge tip on the other end does a decent job if you smudge with a light hand. You dont rub, you press. I think sometimes we dont know HOW to smudge and we wind up rubbing the eyeliner right off.
So go easy.
I'm curious about the green shade so that's why I said I'd buy this again...but if they didn't have that shade I'd probably skip this one a 2nd time around.

I'm not sure if I want to use this as an eyeshadow though, I feel as if the product itself is soft, not like an eyeliner, and that's because it needs to be smudge-able (if that's a word ). But applying this to your entire lid would wind up breaking the tip off and creating a mess and after reading the other reviews, this happens a lot.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought the emerald shade and really loved it. It's long wearing, easy to apply and a nice color, kinda like a dark pine tree green. I bought the blue blaze pencil today, I'll update after I try it out.
UPDATE: The blue isn't as good as the green but it worked great as an es base, which is how I use these. I use these to create a 1920s Smokey eye and they work just fine for that.

on 7/23/2013 5:01:00 PM

I usually stick to my liquid pen eyeliners (my favorites also being from Maybelline: Line Stiletto and Master Precise), but I have been wanting a more blendable cream pencil for a while and the packaging for Master Smoky looked perfect for taking on the go, as it included a large, crayon-size, creamy, retractable pencil (unlike the virtually un-retractable Master Drama pencils) and a smudger on the other end to clean up the thick lines and blend it out. I found the pencil to have impressive staying power as I have been able to stretch this to 10 hours of wear time without it smudging away; it's pretty water-resistant.

There are a few issues with the pencil however that keep it from being perfect. The actual product, while firm enough to get a good line without breaking (as was an issue with Maybelline's Unstoppable eyeliner), it wasn't creamy enough to deliver a heavy, bold line in one stroke (for the record, I was using the shade Black Smoke). I needed to go over the line 2 or three times to get the color payoff I wanted. Also, either this pencil sets very quickly on application, or it's not creamy enough to blend it out easily. Or both. I have to work on one eye at a time to build up and blend the color out, and sometimes draw on more color because the smudger would sometimes pick up more color than I wanted it to. Maybe the pencil just needs some getting used to, or it really does take a little more work than I thought it would to get the results I wanted.

I do, however, find that using a more liquid eye primer or cream shadow as a base and then applying Master Smokey over it helps the pencil glide more smoothly and gives me more time to smudge work the line into the shape I want. I then layer a little bit of powder eyeshadow between the liner and the cream shadow to set it and blend the two even more smoothly, and then layer one more line of Master Smokey just above the lashes/tight-lining to restore some of the black that the powder eyeshadow may have covered. Another work-around is to set the pencil down near something hot like a hair straightener or curler, or in the sunlight for a minute or two to warm the product and melt it a little bit.

I love Maybelline eye products and overall I liked Master Smoky--especially its packaging--though the pencil's a little stiffer than I thought and worked better when used with creamier products than on its own like I had hoped. At $7-8 a pop, the packaging is perfect and very travel-friendly--exactly what I needed--but the for its price I expected more out of the actual product itself. Honestly Maybelline's Unstoppable eyeliner is creamier than this pencil, and that's a waterproof pencil.

on 6/27/2013 9:53:00 AM

I have this in Emerald Fury, a blackened jewel green. The color is really pretty and the overall concept is a good one. However, there are a lot of problems with this product. It's sufficiently creamy, which minimizes tugging on the delicate eye area -- BUT the tip of the pencil literally smooshes flat upon contact with your eyelid. This is no bueno for a couple of reasons: it's self-sharpening, so if you don't feel like breaking out your whittling knife you're SOL. Also, it makes it really hard (or soft?) to get an even line. (Trying hard not to make an obvious joke here...)

The blending tip (with cap that falls off in my makeup bag) is kinda hard on the eye area. Regardless, when you blend out the liner it loses a *lot* of its vibrancy. It doesn't last very long either. Even with all these issues, I've worn it a bunch of times and my favorite look so far has been a result of working with its flaws instead of fighting them. I draw over my shadow (the green looks nice with MAC's brown/green Club shadow) on the lashline, crease, and outer V and blend with a smudger brush (something everyone needs to own, btw). It's not exactly a smokey eye look but it's certainly easier than blending dark shadow for your crease definition. I wouldn't repurchase and I'm glad I didn't get the black. FYI, Buxom makes a super dark and long-lasting thick pencil like this that is AMAZING.