Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil

Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil
Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Shadow Pencil

2.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I agree with many of the points reviewer laurakaaay mentions. This is perfectly fine as an everyday eyeliner. I have it in Scorching Brown. As an NC20 with blue eyes, this turned out to be a great choice for me. It's a nice black-brown which is not too dark, not too light.

I tend to apply it fairly lightly (see laurakaaay's technique below) and this works really well for me. I do use the smudger. Sure it is not the softest, squidgiest smudger but when laziness prevails, it is not terrible! I do not find it scratchy like someone mentioned but it is a tad firmer than I like. Meh, it does an ok job and it is more precise than my finger. It's very handy having it positioned on the other end of the pencil and it is protected by a well-fitting cap. I find that dabbing rather than swiping with it yields the best "bedroom eyes" smudges.

The staying power is good. I have fairly oily lids. Most of the time I am applying this alone and usually at the last minute before I rush out the door... I prep with a light application of pressed powder and find this is enough for the liner to stay put. After about 8 hours or so I see a faint transfer on my browbone but aside from this, it looks as good as when I applied it.

I had difficulty deciding whether to click yes or no to the question "Would you buy it again?" This is not really a revolutionary product and I'm sure there are probably better equivalents out there. I went with "No" in the end but that is not a reflection on how well it works. Give it a try, especially if it is on sale!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I picked this up at my local Walmart for around $7 in the Smoldering Violet color. Im addicted to smokey eye makeup and I thought this little doohickey pencil liner looked like it could be a lot of fun. The picture on the package looked really cool, the purple looked really fantastic.

Unfortunately, this was a no go for me. First of all the color was nothing like the color in the photo on the packaging. Yeah, it's purple, but its definitely more of a grey purple. So, that was misleading right off. Misrepresentation is definitely one of my biggest pet-peeves. Especially when a product is packaged in a way where you can't test it or see the actual color of the product you're forking over your hard earned cash for. Immediately it was a strike.

Second, the directions says to draw a thick line and then use the smudge tip applicator (located on the opposite end of the pencil) to smudge and blend for a smokey effect. Okay...so I did this on my hand to test it out. The pencil itself applied pretty nicely. I wouldn't say it's a soft, gliding application but its softer than some pencils I have used. I didn't feel like I had to apply with too much pressure to draw. After drawing a thick line I popped off the cap to the smudge applicator (I do like the design of the pencil...the packaging itself is pretty cool and the caps snap tightly, which I like) and began smudging it. The result? It basically erased the line into my skin. The result was what I would expect my eyeliner to look like after partying and sleeping in my makeup. It didn't look "done" and the color was almost non existent. It looked just like a grayish smudge on my hand as if I tested a product and then wiped it off with a tissue.

After this I decided to see if there were any videos demonstrating how to use this. There are...but after watching a few I wasn't very impressed or surprised with the outcome. But, I decided to give it a go myself.

I drew a thick line along my top lash line and then started to blend with the smudger. OMG...not fun. The smudger is EXTREMELY rough and hard on the eyelid. It felt like I was trying to blend with sandpaper. Not only that but it was almost impossible to blend evenly. It came out all blotchy, uneven, and was really really dry feeling. Not only that, but it barely looked purple.

The smudge tip killed my eyelids, I will never use that tip on my eyes again and I do not recommend anyone using it unless you want to speed up your aging skin process. It is so rough that Im dumbfounded why Maybelline would ever produce it and sell it to us. It kinda blows my mind tbh.

It's a cool idea executed poorly. I'll prob try it again at some point but with one of my own brushes. I definitely won't be purchasing any of the other colors.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This product was such a let down. The color payoff was nice but everything else sucked. You can't really smudge this with the smudge tip because it just erases the color. Also it's not very long wearing either it smudges very easily on it's own. It's not a nice smudge either. You think you'll end up with sexy smokey bedroom eyes but it just looks like you fell in a pool and smudged your eyes everywhere.The only thing i like this for is using it as a base for dark eyeshadows. Good thing they were only a dollar at dollar tree. I would never buy this full price.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I got this in the color black smoke and I think it's a very nicely pigmented black liner. I don't really use the smudger on the bottom tip of the pencil because I can't pull off the smoky look, but I can say by swatching the liner and rubbing it with the tiny sponge it doesn't work. It erases and absorbs everything.
I really have issues with the thickness of the retractable liner pencil itself. It's SO thick and un-practical. It's also impossible to sharpen it once you've used the first couple of sharpened milimeters it has when you first buy it. This can't be used for lining my upper and lower waterlines so I can't really find any purpose for it at all. If you want to have Panda eyes looking liner, this is for you, but I really don't recommend this product.

I JUST GOT THIS YESTERDAY AND TRIED IT RIGHT AWAY...I GOT THE COLOR PURPLE AND IT SUCKS...ITS NOT PURPLE REALLY :( AND KINDA HARD TO GO ON AND YES THAT SMUDGER IS AN ERASER!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is garbage. I got the purple, it looks more like a dull black. No color payoff, the smudger is hard and uncomfortable on the eyelid, and erases the line you just drew. Back to the store it goes!

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have the Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing eyeliner/shadow pencil in Scorching Brown, and to be frank, I do really like this for everyday wear, AS AN EYELINER ONLY.

I was walking through Chemist Warehouse one day, and I saw this at the Maybelline stall, and it was on offer for about AU$7.00 and I immediately picked it up, and threw it into my shopping basket. I needed a new eyeliner, but as it's summer, I wanted something less harsh, but still something that will define my eyes. The Scorching Brown colour is beautiful, it's a dark coffee brown, and upon further inspection, has a slight iridescent shimmer, which helps make this wearable for many skin tones without being too heavy and harsh. I use the pencil on my lower lash line, heavier on the outer 2/3 of my lash line, and lighter on the inner 1/3. If I'm going for a more dramatic look, with either with my finger or a mac 217 brush, I smudge it out. Although, it doesn't smudge a lot, because it isn't creamy. I just smudge it a little, just to make it look effortless, and more bedroom eyes - esque. Chuck on some mascara, and I'm good to go! (Girls with glasses like me, this makes your eyes stand out through your glasses, if applied as an eyeliner, it's awesome!)

The smudge sponge on the pencil itself is terrible, but that's a reality with many eyeliner smudge sponges at the drugstore. I only use this product as an EYELINER, not an eyeshadow stick as it isn't creamy enough to put all over the eyelid with major tugging. I'm not a fan of tugging at my eyelid, and I imagine not many people are, so if you're looking for an eyeshadow stick in a similar colour (brown) and price range, let me steer you toward the Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow stick in Bad Girl Bronze.

The pencil doesn't have any noticeable scent, it didn't irritate me when I was wearing contact lenses, and I have quite sensitive eyes. When applied, it didn't feel heavy, so I have no problems wearing it all day, or to work or university.

The pencil lasted all day on my lower lash line/Water line and at the end of the day, it looked the same as it did when first applied. I don't have oily skin or problems with eye make up coming off, so it could smudge slightly on those who have oily skin, but it's not too creamy, so I don't imagine it slipping off dramatically. It came off easily with some eye make up remover or warm water, I didn't have to scrub my eyes to get it off!

All in all, it's a great eyeliner, that would suit and flatter so many skin tones. For the price it's good quality, but it's not a revolutionary product. It does the job of defining my eyes, and if I ever run out of it, I could see myself purchasing it again.

on 12/1/2013 4:29:00 PM

It smudges too much over the course of the day so that I have noticeable raccoon eyes. It works well at first to create a bold eye, but the color moves around so much that it is difficult to work with. The smudger on the end was not great for me, it kind of just erases it.

on 12/9/2015 9:12:00 PM

Horrible product. Crappy materials that were not smooth to apply at all, really patchy application all over the eyelid, and the blending tool was useless, just smearing it rather than blending!
I also got some mild-to-moderate eye irritation, which was just the cherry on top.
This product belongs in the bin.

on 6/9/2015 1:03:00 AM

I bought this in smoldering violet,and I like it..It's easy to apply,can be used as shadow or liner and gives my eyes a sultry smoky look. This color looks great with green eyes.When I run out I'll probably try some of the other shades.It stayed on all day without a primer and that's definitely a plus.