Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil

Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil
Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Shadow Pencil

2.7

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I actually found this at dolar tree, so i decided to try it. I like it, it goes on smooth and blends good. I will buy this again

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this product today so I'll let you know exactly what I think of it. As I've gone back to uni and no longer work full time - or at all, I decided to try some cheaper brands. This product is definitely inexpensive, I bought it from Chemist Warehouse for $8 Australian! I bought this in smoking charcoal which is a very dark grey colour and nicely pigmented. Lots of people are saying this product isn't creamy, but I think this product is definitely creamy enough! It glides on wonderfully. Now for the smudging - the cap on the smudger is dodgy, and the whole smudger came off when I pulled on it, which was easily fixed though. The smudger was fairly straight forward and simple to use. It was quite spongey and not hard at all like some people suggest - perhaps they have recently improved the product? Who knows. So it's towars the end of the day and I've noticed the product has come off a bit. This is probably due to a new cheap foundation I've bought which is quite oily without a powder - and I didn't prime or put powder on my eyelids so this is why. I had to reapply the product but I didn't mind. Overall I would buy again. Good product for beginners. Just carry it in your purse if you go out!

EDIT: Had this product for about a week and a half now. It's actually broken somehow. I opened it to find the actual product/crayon has crumpled apart. Idk. I think I bought a bad one.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I got this in the color black smoke and I think it's a very nicely pigmented black liner. I don't really use the smudger on the bottom tip of the pencil because I can't pull off the smoky look, but I can say by swatching the liner and rubbing it with the tiny sponge it doesn't work. It erases and absorbs everything.
I really have issues with the thickness of the retractable liner pencil itself. It's SO thick and un-practical. It's also impossible to sharpen it once you've used the first couple of sharpened milimeters it has when you first buy it. This can't be used for lining my upper and lower waterlines so I can't really find any purpose for it at all. If you want to have Panda eyes looking liner, this is for you, but I really don't recommend this product.

I JUST GOT THIS YESTERDAY AND TRIED IT RIGHT AWAY...I GOT THE COLOR PURPLE AND IT SUCKS...ITS NOT PURPLE REALLY :( AND KINDA HARD TO GO ON AND YES THAT SMUDGER IS AN ERASER!

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have the Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing eyeliner/shadow pencil in Scorching Brown, and to be frank, I do really like this for everyday wear, AS AN EYELINER ONLY.

I was walking through Chemist Warehouse one day, and I saw this at the Maybelline stall, and it was on offer for about AU$7.00 and I immediately picked it up, and threw it into my shopping basket. I needed a new eyeliner, but as it's summer, I wanted something less harsh, but still something that will define my eyes. The Scorching Brown colour is beautiful, it's a dark coffee brown, and upon further inspection, has a slight iridescent shimmer, which helps make this wearable for many skin tones without being too heavy and harsh. I use the pencil on my lower lash line, heavier on the outer 2/3 of my lash line, and lighter on the inner 1/3. If I'm going for a more dramatic look, with either with my finger or a mac 217 brush, I smudge it out. Although, it doesn't smudge a lot, because it isn't creamy. I just smudge it a little, just to make it look effortless, and more bedroom eyes - esque. Chuck on some mascara, and I'm good to go! (Girls with glasses like me, this makes your eyes stand out through your glasses, if applied as an eyeliner, it's awesome!)

The smudge sponge on the pencil itself is terrible, but that's a reality with many eyeliner smudge sponges at the drugstore. I only use this product as an EYELINER, not an eyeshadow stick as it isn't creamy enough to put all over the eyelid with major tugging. I'm not a fan of tugging at my eyelid, and I imagine not many people are, so if you're looking for an eyeshadow stick in a similar colour (brown) and price range, let me steer you toward the Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow stick in Bad Girl Bronze.

The pencil doesn't have any noticeable scent, it didn't irritate me when I was wearing contact lenses, and I have quite sensitive eyes. When applied, it didn't feel heavy, so I have no problems wearing it all day, or to work or university.

The pencil lasted all day on my lower lash line/Water line and at the end of the day, it looked the same as it did when first applied. I don't have oily skin or problems with eye make up coming off, so it could smudge slightly on those who have oily skin, but it's not too creamy, so I don't imagine it slipping off dramatically. It came off easily with some eye make up remover or warm water, I didn't have to scrub my eyes to get it off!

All in all, it's a great eyeliner, that would suit and flatter so many skin tones. For the price it's good quality, but it's not a revolutionary product. It does the job of defining my eyes, and if I ever run out of it, I could see myself purchasing it again.

on 12/1/2013 4:29:00 PM

It smudges too much over the course of the day so that I have noticeable raccoon eyes. It works well at first to create a bold eye, but the color moves around so much that it is difficult to work with. The smudger on the end was not great for me, it kind of just erases it.

on 10/20/2013 3:41:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

First off, I was trying to take a shortcut on making a GREAT smokey eye look. Bad me!! Shame shame shame!!

This pencil went on OK but as you kept trying it kinda tugged and pulled on the lid, a big NO NO.

Smudging was a nightmare and did almost nothing... if you don't use your finger in the .5 seconds before it sets... you're screwed... I don't know why this had any good reviews but if you got it to work congrats.

I have oily lids so I don't even see how this wouldn't smudge on my lid.. but it would smudge everywhere else.

I would not repurchase or recommend.. I might just use this to line my waterline since I don't think it has any other real use.

on 10/20/2013 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This eyeliner was not a very good choice to use. The smudger just erases the eyeliner look you already created. It didn't last and I already saw myself having a racoon look for the day. I love the dark pigment it gives off but it fades away too quickly. It's just not worth it.

on 7/23/2013 5:01:00 PM

I usually stick to my liquid pen eyeliners (my favorites also being from Maybelline: Line Stiletto and Master Precise), but I have been wanting a more blendable cream pencil for a while and the packaging for Master Smoky looked perfect for taking on the go, as it included a large, crayon-size, creamy, retractable pencil (unlike the virtually un-retractable Master Drama pencils) and a smudger on the other end to clean up the thick lines and blend it out. I found the pencil to have impressive staying power as I have been able to stretch this to 10 hours of wear time without it smudging away; it's pretty water-resistant.

There are a few issues with the pencil however that keep it from being perfect. The actual product, while firm enough to get a good line without breaking (as was an issue with Maybelline's Unstoppable eyeliner), it wasn't creamy enough to deliver a heavy, bold line in one stroke (for the record, I was using the shade Black Smoke). I needed to go over the line 2 or three times to get the color payoff I wanted. Also, either this pencil sets very quickly on application, or it's not creamy enough to blend it out easily. Or both. I have to work on one eye at a time to build up and blend the color out, and sometimes draw on more color because the smudger would sometimes pick up more color than I wanted it to. Maybe the pencil just needs some getting used to, or it really does take a little more work than I thought it would to get the results I wanted.

I do, however, find that using a more liquid eye primer or cream shadow as a base and then applying Master Smokey over it helps the pencil glide more smoothly and gives me more time to smudge work the line into the shape I want. I then layer a little bit of powder eyeshadow between the liner and the cream shadow to set it and blend the two even more smoothly, and then layer one more line of Master Smokey just above the lashes/tight-lining to restore some of the black that the powder eyeshadow may have covered. Another work-around is to set the pencil down near something hot like a hair straightener or curler, or in the sunlight for a minute or two to warm the product and melt it a little bit.

I love Maybelline eye products and overall I liked Master Smoky--especially its packaging--though the pencil's a little stiffer than I thought and worked better when used with creamier products than on its own like I had hoped. At $7-8 a pop, the packaging is perfect and very travel-friendly--exactly what I needed--but the for its price I expected more out of the actual product itself. Honestly Maybelline's Unstoppable eyeliner is creamier than this pencil, and that's a waterproof pencil.