MAC Satin Lipstick - MAC Red

MAC Satin Lipstick - MAC Red

4.4

MAC Red is one of my favourite red lipsticks. It is true red which looks great on both warm and cool skintones. It is has a shiny finish and is comfortable to wear, thanks to the matte finish. However, it is not hydrating. I won't dry out your lips, but if you already have dry lips I would definitely recommend wearing a lipbalm underneath. It will last through drinking but will need to be reapplied after eating. It has good staying power though for a lipstick that is not matte. I wore it out dancing and it lasted all night! It did not bleed, even without using a lip-liner, which is always a bonus. This is a great red lipstick, and very underrated. I would highly recommend this colour to all lovers of red lipstick. A+

on 9/6/2016 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

The Satin formula makes it lasts long on the lips (though not transfer-proof) and very comfortable to wear. It's a bold red but not a bright red like Lady Danger. It's also not a deep red either but it sure will make a statement. It's not as matte as I'd like however so I won't be repurchasing.

To Read all 143 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/7/2016 4:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My first red lipstick was Ruby Woo. Highly regretted because it was so so drying. This was the next purchase, and I am very pleased. It looks like a true red on me, the formula is smooth and easy to apply. I need to reapply after food etc because it transfers for me.

I also love this because I have a bunch of lipsticks I can't wear (goth/dark berry, light corals/pinks). What I do is I blend the shades with the Mac Red, and because the formula is smooth - it really is easy to mix colors on my lips. That way, I create unique shades plus I don't have to chuck out a whole bunch of lipstick.

I can't compare to other Mac shades cos I don't have them. But I'm pleased with my Mac Red, it has relegated Ruby Woo to the back of the lipstick line!

on 7/25/2016 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This has to be one of the most underrated red lipsticks that MAC has.
I usually only hear about Ruby Woo or Russian Red.
I love the super matte transfer-proof formula that Ruby Woo has but I felt the color wasn't as red on my NC30/C35 coloring compared to other people.
With one swipe Ruby Woo is quite red but it isn't even so you end up having to put two or three layers and it ends up being quite similar in depth to Russian Red just a tad bit lighter/brighter and a tiny bit more blue based.

Russian Red is kind of a neutral red that leans slightly blue. I just find its about half a shade darker than Ruby Woo and not as much of a vibrant red. Most describe it as a "bold red" but when I think "bold" I think "bright" rather than "dark" and Russian Red tends to look more maroon on me but I can see how it would look more red on those with pink undertones or more tan skin.

Then comes MAC Red which is GORGEOUS. It's about same depth as Ruby Woo maybe a tad bit lighter, more red and quite noticeably more blue based and I really thought Ruby Woo was the most blue based red MAC had and I was very wrong. It's more creamy than the three since it a satin and does have some shine to it but it's very comfortable and can be blotted.
I can see how I'd end up using this more than Ruby Woo since it's more of a true bright red on the lips where Ruby Woo and Russian Red tend to fall a tad flat.

If you want an actual blue toned bright red then definitely go with MAC Red?
If you're wanting a bright sort of scarlet red then I'd go with Lady Danger (has been a favorite of mine for awhile)
I'll post up swatches of the red lipsticks from MAC I have to compare to

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I am in love with this lipstick. It is a gorgeous red with blue undertones. I always get compliments when wearing this. It is my all time favorite! It is satiny but has great staying power, doesn't dry out your lips. I am an NC50

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this colour for years! I always get compliments from this colour. Even better its a nice creamy formula that doesn't dry your lips out. You can wear it all year around

on 3/3/2016 10:11:00 AM

I love this red blueish lipstick! When I tried it on I fell in love, it just lights up my whole face. It was all I could wear last year and my tube is almost empty. Will repurchase for sure. Only problem, it can sometimes bleed. Other than that, this one checks all the boxes and should definitely be more popular.

on 12/26/2015 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Though I rarely wear red lipsticks, I purchased this two years ago. I could not find a true red for my pigmented lips no matter the brand I purchased. I hated Ruby woo and sent back Russian red. I have repurchased Russian red in hopes that I can line it for a better look. Ruby woo, I line with NYX currant or espresso. Though Ruby woo is an acquired taste for me, it is far from my favorite. No matter how much I exfoliate my lips it still has to be rubbed in the lip for smoothness and it dries my lips out so that is used very rarely.
The moment I found MAC red, I knew I had found my truth. Perfect even color even on my darker upper lip. It is very moisturizing and creamy with a little shine which I am going to figure out how to cut down without ruining the look.This lipstick makes my entire face brighten up; something about the color red just does that. The application lasts a while but gets on anything you put near the lips. Nice purchase for me though.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This was the first red lipstick I ever owned and I purchased it while on a school trip when I was 15 years old and I am now 21 and I STILL have it. It's the perfect true red on my medium brown skin and it has a good lasting power. I do own other shades of red lip colors now but I still always bring this out when I want that classic red lip. Still looks just as pretty and feels just as creamy as the day I bought it.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I am Afro Am, brown skin, dark brown eyes. I LOVE this lipstick. It's perfect for a classic day look, or i can add a gloss to jazz it up at night. Gorgeous.

Popular Lipsticks