Yves Saint Laurent Yvresse (Champagne)

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Yves Saint Laurent Yvresse (Champagne)
Yvresse (Champagne)Yvresse (Champagne)Yvresse (Champagne)Yvresse (Champagne)Yvresse (Champagne)

3.8

on 7/28/2013 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I wish wish wishhhh I could get a vintage bottle of Yvress, such an exquisite creation! That's another whole dimension of fruity perfumes. A chypre heavy on the FRESH peach, apricot and nectarine (unlike Tresor) that's still classy and grown up - they don't make them this way anymore (oh, I sound like my grandmother and I'm still 25)
It's interesting that Yves Saint Laurent changed the name from Champagne to Yvresse because of lawsuits filed by French producers of the sparkling wine that originally bore the name.

According to my nose Yvress opens with a heavy blast of the aforementioned fruits (did I stress it enough that they smell incredibly natural?) and a touch of mint. Then lots of cinnamon is revealed and the warmth of it makes a fantastic contrast with the mint and the fruits. This is a strong scent that won't pass unnoticed, gets loads of compliments and lasts forever.
During the drydown I can smell lots of oakmoss too. I know oakmoss might not appeal to the young audience and will be banned from perfumes soon because of IFRA and allergies - it really makes me sad because it's such a sophisticated note! There are other notes too like litchi, rose caraway, violet, carnation, patchouli, amber, jasmine, benzoin, iris, anise, coconut, vetiver, cedar, vanilla, musk, styrax ans lily of the valley. Although they are not that prominent to my nose they really contribute with their subtle nuances and contrasts, it's a real olfactory symphony. Bows to Sophia Grojsman!

Yvress does smell unique and sparkling, it's a powerhouse and a total beauty!
Did I just say ''does''? I meant ''did'' and it hurts me to say so. The new (2011) formulation ''La Collection'' packaged in the white blocky bottle is just madiocre. The top notes were almost the same and I was hopeful. But after a certain amount of time I only get a far cry from the original. Looked at the notes too and there are just peach, litchi, patchouli, violets and rose. Imagine Capella Sistina without colors.

I can't even wear it - although it's still better than most fruity perfumes out there - because I remember what a breathtaking beauty it was and how they ruined it. I have no words for this crime.

on 12/23/2012 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I have bought many many of these over the years (back when it was called Champagne). I always get compliments when I wear it and it is a must have in my perfume collection. I never tire of the smell. Its gorgeous.

on 12/31/2008 10:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Blech. Synthetic fruit salad...especially a strong peach note. There is nothing worse than a badly created peach note (though I guess it's supposed to be nectarine). Overly fruity and cloying at any time of year.I do like the hefty bottle, but not the price tag that goes with it.

on 12/29/2008 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My mom had got me this for my birthday back in 1993 when it 1st came out yrs and yrs ago and omg I was beyond dissapointed when I could no longer find Champagne...I seriously loved this perfume ( I still have my original bottle with some left lol) but when I found out it was renamed I was soooo beyond happy!! Definitely a fall/winter scent...this one will always be a favorite of mine!!!!

on 7/28/2006 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Head: Anise oil, Apricot, Cumin, Green Note, Peach, Violet
Heart: Carnation, Cinnamon, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Rose
Base: Amber, Benzoin, Castoreum, Cedar, Musk, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Styrax, Vanilla

Champagne is a delightful, bubbly effervescent violet rose (not rose violet) dominated fruity chypre. It is very evocative of champagne but more of the mood then the actual scent. Light, longlasting with wonderful sillage. Hubby says it smells like the candy necklaces / bracelets that kids wear (and / or parma violets). He loves it and he is usually a musk or vanilla man!

I find this very original. Demeter Champagne Brut is very similar but more like the drink and less elegant classy. A spring HG for me. 5*****

on 1/27/2006 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I used to love this in the 80's when it was called Champagne, so I bought a sample of this on ebay to give it a try. Didn't like it this time around. It smelled very old-ladyish to me. It's quite sweet, and does smell like champagne, but it really reminds me of an old lady. Glad I bought just a sample size. The bottle is cute though.

Popular Fragrances