Yves Saint Laurent Yvresse (Champagne)

Yves Saint Laurent Yvresse (Champagne)
Yvresse (Champagne)Yvresse (Champagne)Yvresse (Champagne)Yvresse (Champagne)Yvresse (Champagne)

3.9

on 7/12/2009 5:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is pure memory in a bottle for me. This is the only fragrance my mother wore. Ever.
Back then it was still called Champagne.
It fit my mum like nothing else, an elegant, glamourous,smart and funny woman with very long dark blonde hair, big, BIG turquoise eyes, tall and very feminine who would ALWAYS wear bright red chanel lipstick and long floating skirts. She even put red lipstick and this fragrance on in the hospital shortly before she died 10 years ago.
I still have her personal bottle, I smell it when I need comfort or feel sad, it always works.
I tried to wear it myself many times but it just smells so different on me than what I remember smelled on her when she came flying into my room to kiss me good night and the scent stayed in the room long after she was gone.
This smells of love, laughter joy and beauty.
I can imagine this on every woman, every age, who has a good sense of humor and is confident to wear an unusual fragrance you don`t smell often. It`s fizzy, luxurious, fun, warm and at the same time very sophisticated. And I agree, I`d also put it in the pin-up, parfumery parfume (eg. Lipstick Rose (which I adore)) direction.
This has amazing sillage and lasting power. It lasted 10 years on me. ;-)

on 11/5/2012 5:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am affluent ( since you need to be if you have the yvresse addiction! ), sophisticated, immaculately-mannered and with a library in my head. This is how Yvresse speaks to me and commands to behave accordingly! This is THE upperclass lady scent, and it smells absolutely ridiculous on those who can't at least play the role! Cold season/evening substance, rather grownup ( would think twice before if I were in my 20s! ) and very content with life and itself: full-bodied, plum, sparkling currant or rose wine. It is everyday glamour of intelligence. Dimmed lights in an old library occupying a grand historic building, suede emerald ( I detect a little chypre in there ) and wine-coloured fabrics, curtains with tassels, old books sitting in neighbourhood of a cognac-filled glass and creme de la creme moving around slowly while discussing the burning political and social issues. When I wear it it makes me work for it, listen, read, learn, keep my back straight and never dine without a napkin and proper dinnerware. A very old beauty of a rapidly vanishing lifestyle: so grateful it has been at least preserved in a bottle! Apropos, the factice is everything the scent is not: as far as you can get away from sophistication, a child's toy shape and hardly memorable, would not be bringing any grace to one's vanity table. The only thing that holds me back from keeping it inside a wall cabinet is the contents: I would never want it to be too far away from my reach. I sniff it at least one a day ( from the bottle cap) even when I am wearing other perfumes. It reminds me what I can be and what kind of woman I aspired to become when I was a little girl.

I have had multiple bottles of Yvresse (ne Champagne) off and on since the mid-1990s. It is a fruity-floral fragrance as evidenced from the notes below. Given its marked fruitiness, I had never thought of it before as being a chypre until a fellow perfumista mentioned that, but now that I am looking for chypre notes, I can detect them in the drydown along with a somewhat yeasty fragrance. Mostly though, Yvresse is a sparking perfume that smells mostly like an effervescent concoction of nectarines and litchi to me.

A distinctive thing about Yvresse is that it is always in a good mood. Sometimes that relentless chipper-ness (kind of like having an incessantly optimistic friend around) is annoying but most of the time I find Yvresse to be a complement to my own good mood or it gets me out of an occasional funk. Also, I am not a perfume bottle person but I think Yvresse has one the most stylish bottles around. I find the heft, textures, sassy gold color and even the twisted metal detailing to be chic and charming.

Here are Yvresses notes, as gleaned from various perfume websites: Top: Anise, Nectarine, Mint; Middle: Blue Rose, Otto, Litchi; Base: Patchouli, Oakmoss, Vetiver.

on 7/28/2013 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I wish wish wishhhh I could get a vintage bottle of Yvress, such an exquisite creation! That's another whole dimension of fruity perfumes. A chypre heavy on the FRESH peach, apricot and nectarine (unlike Tresor) that's still classy and grown up - they don't make them this way anymore (oh, I sound like my grandmother and I'm still 25)
It's interesting that Yves Saint Laurent changed the name from Champagne to Yvresse because of lawsuits filed by French producers of the sparkling wine that originally bore the name.

According to my nose Yvress opens with a heavy blast of the aforementioned fruits (did I stress it enough that they smell incredibly natural?) and a touch of mint. Then lots of cinnamon is revealed and the warmth of it makes a fantastic contrast with the mint and the fruits. This is a strong scent that won't pass unnoticed, gets loads of compliments and lasts forever.
During the drydown I can smell lots of oakmoss too. I know oakmoss might not appeal to the young audience and will be banned from perfumes soon because of IFRA and allergies - it really makes me sad because it's such a sophisticated note! There are other notes too like litchi, rose caraway, violet, carnation, patchouli, amber, jasmine, benzoin, iris, anise, coconut, vetiver, cedar, vanilla, musk, styrax ans lily of the valley. Although they are not that prominent to my nose they really contribute with their subtle nuances and contrasts, it's a real olfactory symphony. Bows to Sophia Grojsman!

Yvress does smell unique and sparkling, it's a powerhouse and a total beauty!
Did I just say ''does''? I meant ''did'' and it hurts me to say so. The new (2011) formulation ''La Collection'' packaged in the white blocky bottle is just madiocre. The top notes were almost the same and I was hopeful. But after a certain amount of time I only get a far cry from the original. Looked at the notes too and there are just peach, litchi, patchouli, violets and rose. Imagine Capella Sistina without colors.

I can't even wear it - although it's still better than most fruity perfumes out there - because I remember what a breathtaking beauty it was and how they ruined it. I have no words for this crime.

on 4/17/2010 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I absolutely adore this fragrance, but it can get a touch too loud in the opening so I can only give it a four. Contrary to the previous reviewer, I get an almost straight up peach bellini for most of the life of this scent - which I love. Bright and effervescent, it shines and inevitably makes me happy for a few hours. This doesn't have a strong enough base on me to really count it in the chypre category - when I think of chypres, I'm thinking Diorella, Caline, Jubilation 25. If you were to lay this out on a scale of 1 to ten on where it might fit in a chypre category, I'd put it solidly in the 2 or 2.5 on the scale.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

What a curious fragrance Yvresse is. For something supposedly heady with intoxication, there is something very little girl about it like a dressing-up perfume that might be found on a half-sized dresser. I smell a plastic accord like the teat of a pretend bottle, and the comforting vanilla is reminiscent of a woven pink blanket a child might wear to a make-believe market. There is powder, which nods at glamour without fully attaining it, and then there is the complicated effervescence with its nectarine, peachy, melba undertones. Its a dense fragrance, with much sillage, and though Champagne might sound nice in the summer, Id be cautious of not knocking ones self out. Yvresse could be considered a retro pin-up scent in a similar way to Frederic Malles Lipstick Rose, in that there is a cartoonish allure at work here. I smell a kinship with Rochas Femme, which is bolder, with more cumin. I see it being worn by the kind of woman who has a dressmakers mannequin in her bedroom.

on 12/25/2009 5:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My little black dress scent. Meaning one: I wear it for my little black dress(es actually, I'm a sucker for these :). Meaning two: this is the little black dress of the fragrances (at least for me).
Reading all the reviews, I've got the impression as there should be two different Yvresses, a light, dry, effervescent peach bellini one, and a rich, full bodied, sweet fruity-chypre. Guess, it's about body chemistry again. With mine the second Yvresse-face turns out. And how I love this face! Absolutely elegant, but not in a cool, unresponsive way. The opening's fresh, juicy peach note grows and ripens with time and mellows into a lush, warm, heavy chypre base (probably it's just my silly nose but in the drydown sometimes I can smell something sweet coconutty as well).
It conjures around me a vintage, timeless aura, if you know, what I mean.

Just got a bottle and have to say, I love this perfume! I have the EDT spray. I had the lotion first, was underwhelmed, grew to love it. Then I got a sample of the EDT and had to have a bottle. It is perfect on me, a light powdery apricot that is also musky, slightly waxen and a bit fizzy. People call it loud and mention many notes of all sorts but on me, It is a private, intimate scent, more reminiscient of the scent of a child's clean head and skin than champagne. Pale sheer, light as cloud, dream scent.

I am so lucky , once again I scored a vintage very rare one , with champagne written on it ..I sprayed it on my wrist immediately as I got home , oh my so unique and powerful , certainly an old school , well made juice , chypre- fruity isn't usually my cup of tea in perfumes , but I wouldn't have left that great opportunity to score this with such a price ..People say it smells like champagne cocktails , or a fruity champagne , I don't indulge in alcohol or smelled champagne before , but I do think this what expensive champagne should smell like ...

on 12/23/2012 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I have bought many many of these over the years (back when it was called Champagne). I always get compliments when I wear it and it is a must have in my perfume collection. I never tire of the smell. Its gorgeous.

Popular Fragrances