Holika Holika Petit BB Cream - Clearing

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Holika Holika Petit BB Cream - Clearing
Petit BB Cream - ClearingPetit BB Cream - Clearing

4.2

Water,Cyclopentasiloxane,Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Titanium Dioxide,Methicone,Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Dimethicone,Butyelene Glycol,Disteardimonium hectorite, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Dimethicone,Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Iron Oxides(CI 77492) & Mica & Methicone,Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer,Sodium Chloride, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethyl Citrate,Glyceryl Behenate,Polyglyceryl-6 Octastearate,Silica,Iron Oxides(CI 77491) & Mica & Methicone,Iron Oxides(CI 77499) & Mica & Methicone,Phonoxyethanol,Methylparaben,Propylparaben,Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Extract, Fragrance,Xanthan Gum

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have tried A LOT of BB creams over the years, and there are only two that I have repurchased consistently, and this is one of them (the other being La Roche Posay Effaclar BB Blur).
I love Holika Holika's products and this was actually the first product I ever tried from their brand back in 2013. I've tried their Petit Jelly BB as well, but I like this one better.

As someone with acne prone combo skin with larger pores on and around my nose that are succeptable to blackheads and congestion, I appreciate products that don't cause breakouts or clog my pores such as this BB cream. I don't know if it actually "clears" my skin, but it certainly does not cause breakouts and it does do a pretty decent job at managing oil production.

When I first tried this I was concerned about the shade because it looked a little dark for my NC20 skin with neutral-yellow understones. Upon application I was surprised at how the shade seemed to just adjust to my skin tone and ended up looking perfect shade wise. I prefer to apply this BB cream with my fingers rather than a Beauty Blender or brush. A brush can make it a bit streaky and a Beauty Blender provides a rather sheer coverage. I feel it looks better and more natural applying with my fingers, and I also prefer it without silicone primers.

It's a rich, creamy consistency that initially feels thick, but it sheers out and blends beautifully.
For a BB cream, this has amazing coverage. We're talking foundation-like, higher spectrum medium coverage that covers redness, hyperpigmentation, and uneven tones. It's really incredible how much coverage this provides without looking heavy or cakey (my two arch nemeses).

It has a beautiful finish. It's not too matte and it's not too dewy. It's the perfect balance of the two.
I do have to set it with setting powder, especially in the heat and humidity, otherwise it can get a touch creasy around my eyes, forehead and nostrils after a few hours if I don't.
However, this BB cream maintains its coverage, and when set it doesn't patch, pool or separate and I never feel the need to reapply. I've worn this at times where I've been out all day from morning into the evening (I recall even wearing it during an all day trip to Disneyland...a real test if you ask me) and it never budged.

This BB cream also has 30 SPF which is awesome since I now live in TX and the sun and UV index here is monstrous. 30 SPF is pretty high for a BB or foundation which I don't mind, but I can't attest to any flashback since I'm generally not having having my picture taken in flash photography conditions. Given the amount of SPF I assume that it will have a flashback.

This BB cream also removes with ease. When I use this BB cream one makeup remover wipe removes it all unlike the 3 typically needed for my foundation.

It's generally affordable (as long as it's in stock on Amazon), easily transportable, and a tube can last me up to 9 months depending on how often I use it. It's performance for its price is incredible and imo works better than almost all of the high end brands I've tried (UD One And Done, I'm looking at you...) and has the most amazing coverage for a BB that I have ever encountered.

I'd definitely recommend it to those with sensitive skin that are prone to breakouts, clogged pores and blackheads who want great coverage without the heaviness and cakiness. I could see it working for dry skin (as long as you're exfoliated) to combo skin. Straight up oily skin might have a harder time with long time wear, but since it does pretty well at keeping oil production in check in my t-zone with setting powder it might still be workable (perhaps powdering before and after application could potentially prolong the wear. I've never tried it personally, but I just might to further prevent that creasing, now that I think of it).

All in all, I totally recommend giving it a shot and I will continue purchasing until it doesn't exist anymore.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Excellent BB/Foundation product for oilier skins at a great price point! I understand this is called "Petite BB" because the tube is not as big as some comparable products, but the coverage this provides (yes! creamy, real coverage!) makes that a non-issue, as a little goes a long way. The only real drawback I can see in this product is lack of shade range. I have light gold and neutral undertones and run abt NC20 in MAC, and the color suits me fine, but I would caution anyone much deeper in tone, as it could look pasty. I like to buff this in with a stippling brush and set lightly with powder. It lasts well on my oily skin and looks natural.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I bought this on recommendation by another MUAer, and OMG, I think this may be the best base product I've ever used. I'm super oily, and this controls oil like nothing else I've ever tried. I do blot and use a little translucent powder mid-day, but I could probably get away without it. This keeps me matte for hours!! It's medium coverage and goes on very very easily, I buff it in with a flat top brush. It blends in beautifully and doesn't highlight any dry spots. It has a very pretty matte finish. This $7 product is better than any of my (much) more expensive foundations. I've already bought a backup! If your skin is oily, I highly recommend this.

on 11/15/2016 3:53:00 PM

I bought this about a year ago as my first Asian beauty product ever and I definitely do not regret a thing. The coverage is great and the SPF protection is a plus. My skin usually looks amazing after just one layer; I've never had the need to put on more. It's not as good when my skin gets dry during times I accidentally overcleanse and ends up looking powdery/flakey once it sets, so if your skin tends towards the dry side make sure to moisturize before using this BB cream.

It first goes on a little pale but it adjusts as it sets in. It looks matte and natural, and I've gotten multiple compliments on my complexion when no one could tell that I was wearing make up. It feels light on my face, which is great because I super don't like having my face feel heavy, or my nails, or anything. I don't even like putting on nail polish because it feels like it weighs down my fingertips.

I usually use the e.l.f. HD powder after putting it on. But in the beginning I've gone half a year without that, wearing solely only this makeup product everyday, so it's great on its own too. Also, even though it looks small, usually a tube of this lasts me AT LEAST 4 months with every day use.

My skin definitely is clearer than before, but I can't say it's because of this or because of the multiple other products I've tried over the course of time wearing this.

Overall, this is definitely a steal for being $3-$8, and I'd definitely recommend it! (As of right now, I think you can get it from Amazon for about $7 bucks and Jolse for about $6 but I'd recommend waiting for the very common 20% off sales on Jolse.)

EDIT: I saw that some reviewers didn't know the ingredients because it was all in Korean, so here is a list of the ingredients that I found on the Holika Holika Canadian website for those who hadn't seen it before.

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Titanium Dioxide, Methicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Dimethicone, Butyelene Glycol, Disteardimonium hectorite, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Iron Oxides (CI 77492) & Mica & Methicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethyl Citrate, Glyceryl Behenate, Polyglyceryl-6 Octastearate, Silica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491) & Mica & Methicone, Iron Oxides (CI 77499) & Mica & Methicone, Phonoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Extract, Fragrance, Xanthan Gum

This is my first Korean BB cream and I like it, though I don't have anything else to compare it to. The first time I used it, I sprayed a little bit of my UD De-slick setting spray and then buffed out the BB cream on my face--it stayed and didn't make me oily (probably because of the setting spray), and stayed matte on my face (the Clearing version is supposed to have a matte finish). It does leave a bit of a white cast on your face but I'm sure most Korean BB creams do this for a "brightening" effect. Today, I opted out of using my setting spray because I assumed that the BB cream sort of loses its purpose if it's sitting on top of another product like the spray; it still had the matte finish for the most part of the day, but I noticed when I got home (after a 6-hour shift inside an air-conditioned building), my face has gotten a little bit oily-looking but mostly in my t-zone (where I am normally the oiliest). It also has a very pleasant, kinda "rosy" smell to it that I don't mind, I am not super sensitive to fragrances and it does go away after a while. All in all it's not a bad product and I may repurchase once I am out--I bought it on Ebay for about $10 and I've read that the "original" packaging had a little picture of a cat on it, so I don't know if it's been remade or (and I hope not) I have a fake :(

I've been using this for a year +, and I love it. I usually buy 3-4 bottles at a time on Amazon for about $6 a piece. My skin is always dry, easily irritated, and slightly acne prone. (less because I'm on the pill) I still have some hyper pigmented little red spots under the surface of my skin, and maybe one or two breakouts a month. This stuff has never irritated or broken me out, I doubt it is clearing, but it is not pore clogging. I live near Houston, TX where it is always humid, and I still wear this every day. If it's a hot/muggy day, I do notice a little shine after about 5 - 6 hours of wear...nothing a little bathroom break won't fix. I just go in the stall and blot with regular ol' tissue paper.

For the first time in my life something has matched my
very fair but yellow undertone skin! Because every fair skinned person in the world does NOT have pink undertones ::pouty face:: anyways I love this stuff, it's really too cheap not to give it a go in my opinion.

My only complaint is really that I haven't found a good foundation or concealer that mixes with this bb cream. I have L'oreal True Match that I use now, (for those tiny red spots left my acne years ago) but it always seems to separate and not mix very well with the bb cream. It's not too big of a con, I only use a second foundation when I have the time to get ready and be nit picky about my make up. I know its prob something to do with the base of both of them, oil, water, or silicone...If anybody knows what base this BB cream is let me know. In the mean time I will continue using it, until it is discontinued, and then I will buy the company, the patent, the formula...and make it my damn self, because this stuff is perfect.

on 5/9/2014 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Price:
This is a very affordable range of BB Creams, at around AU$6 each from ebay sellers in Korea. I love that there are 5 different types for different skin types & needs, but unfortunately they all come in just 1 colour. I don't think they make sample sachets, and I believe this has to do with their already affordable price. So it's a cheap gamble to make in order to find out if the 1 shade or the formula will suit you, but a gamble nonetheless.

Packaging:
The packaging is a squeeze tube with a twist on cap. There is no pump, but the nozzle has a decent sized opening with a flat top, so it's very easy to wipe off after dispensing product. It's also very easy to control how much product is squeezed out, and very secure to travel with as the cap doesn't just pop off leaving a pump exposed.

Consistency:
I used this a few years ago so I can't remember if the consistency was very runny or a thicker cream.

Application:
I do remember that this BB Cream blended out really easily. I just used my fingers to apply it, never tried a brush or sponge. It didn't dry too fast and I had enough time to spread it around, blend out the edges and stipple away any streaks before it dried.

Coverage:
I have quite normal skin and don't have breakouts year round, but tend to break out in Summer due to producing oil & sweat. I don't have large pores, just pinprick ones on my cheeks, and some fine lines around my eyes. I have fair skin with a mix of light and dark freckles, a little redness around my nose, some red marks from past blemishes and slight undereye circles.

I found that this BB Cream has a solid medium coverage, it completely covered the redness and darkness but didn't cover all of my freckles.

Finish:
Because this BB Cream is targeted towards oily and blemish prone skin, it does dry to a completely matte finish. I don't think it would be buildable. It smoothed over my slightly visible pores nicely, but I did look a bit crepey under the eyes so I recommend applying eye cream before using this (regardless if you have fine lines or not, you don't want to dry out that area!).

In Summer I can get quite oily on my chin and remain comfortable and shine free everywhere else, but in Winter my skin gets quite dry all over. I would never attempt to use this on my normal skin in Winter, but oily skinned gals might love it year round.

Scent:
I do not remember the scent, sorry!

Colour:
A lot of Korean BB Creams are too dark for me, but this Clearing one is SO pale with yellow undertones. It's a perfect match for my neck, which is much paler than my face and is what I prefer to match my base products to. For an easy universal reference, Revlon Colorstay in Ivory is too dark for me.

Wear:
I used this in Summer with no moisturiser underneath, and it lasted all day without turning cakey or looking dry as the day progressed. It was moisturising enough that I didn't produce excess oil to combat its matte finish. My skin felt normal when I removed it, I didn't feel dried out from the matte finish & Tea Tree Oil. But, it broke me out. Badly.

OVERALL:
Unfortunately, I didn't realise this contained Tea Tree Oil when I ordered it and began using it. I had tried using TTO on pimples in the past because everyone raved that it's a great zit zapper, but it never did anything for my blemishes. This was the product that finally drove the point home - my skin hates Tea Tree Oil. I'm not sure if I'm just sensitive to it or if I'm completely allergic to it, and I don't know the % of TTO in this BB Cream, but broke me out in large, deep, painful zits. It didn't cause a breakout the first day, but during the second day I could feel "blind" zits forming, the ones that are a red bump with no whitehead. On the third day, it created even more and the existing ones became painful. I stopped using it and the zits went away within a few days.

This is not a bad BB Cream at all, it's just not right for my skin. If your skin reacts positively to TTO you might really like this and it might actually help clear up your breakouts. If you're really pale you'll love it on its own, but if you're anything darker than pale you might want to use this as a "treatment" primer underneath a foundation or BB Cream that matches your skin. Whatever your skin type, I recommend applying eye cream and moisturising any dry or flaky patches beforehand.

Also, I highly recommend an oil cleanser to remove facial makeup, whether it be BB Cream or foundation. Regular makeup removers don't clear everything away. You can even just use Extra Virgin Olive Oil if you don't want to purchase an Oil Cleanser. The oil breaks down ALL the makeup on your skin so it washes away leaving no residual product. Please don't forget to double cleanse (Oil Cleanse to remove the makeup then follow up with your regular cleanser).

on 2/26/2014 10:59:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I like this bb cream but not love. this product is really watery and blends well, but it only gives a light coverage for my skin and cannot really cover up my acne scars. It smells really good and the color match my skin well. But it's too watery to stay for a long time on me but it's good for a light makeup look

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

So, I got this in the mail yesterday. I am going to update this review again in about a month (on how my skin reacts to it) but I definitely wanted to do an initial review as I tried to wear it last night, and wore it today.

Coverage: is fantastic. My skin looks pore-less and very matte. I did use a smidgen of bronzer just to give me a little more color but other than that I have no complaints. The product spreads well and has a nice, not too strong fragrance in my opinion. I do find it to be slightly drying (expected as it contains tea tree oil) but I don't notice that it seeps into fine lines, which is a definite plus.

Photography: NO. Do NOT wear this if you are going to be taking photos with flash. Before I went out last night I thought I would try it on and take a few pictures with flash just to see how bad it would look and it is terrible. This is definitely day time only (which I know should be obvious because it has SPF but as far as I know this product line does not come without SPF, which is unfortunate because it seems, initially, to be a great product that would simplify most make up routines).

Ease of use: pretty simple actually. I use a pea size amount for the lower half, and then another pea size amount for the upper half of my face (admittedly I have kind of a large head). To be on the safe side I do blend with a brush (nothing fancy, just an elf all over one). Without the blush the bb cream still looks nice.

Practicality: I live on the coast where it is super humid and super hot 11/12 months of the year. If you are going to be sweating, carry this with you. It does smudge off, but I found that if I patted my forehead with a cloth (or t shirt or anything) and did not wipe my face, the product did not come off. I certainly wouldn't do hard work or play sports in this product, but it would be great for daily activities (errands, shopping, etc).

Texture: The product is not thick. It is a little on the runnier side, so be careful when squeezing product out. I personally like that it is runnier because it does not feel so heavy on my face.

As far as acne goes, I will update. I'm crossing my fingers that this one won't break me out, as products with SPF usually do.

10/23: UPDATE.

It has been a little more than a month since I have been using this BB cream daily, and I have definitely learned how to better use it.

For starters, it did not break me out. I did get a little cocky with tea tree oil thinking "well if it's doing well in the cream extra couldn't hurt" but my sensitive skin did not do well with that. Once I quit with the tea tree oil, everything was fine.

That does bring me to my next point- coverage. The coverage I've found is still great like I posted initially. It does not crease in any lines, and covers fresh blemishes well.

I find that this gives me lasting coverage all day (~8 hours) providing I am not sweating profusely or doing something that would cause it to wipe off. I do get a bit oily towards the latter part of product wear.

I have also found that a little, for me, does not go a long way. Instead, I put three dots along my cheek bones, three on my forehead, and three on my jaw line. Not big dots, about a pea size, and proceed to blend with a kabuki brush. This gives me the best finish and also prevents me from looking like I have a BB cream on. Instead, I just look like I have a great complexion.

I have found this cream to also overall improve my complexion. It's not miraculous by any stretch of the imagination but every little bit helps, right?

I definitely recommend this product if you are someone who has a FAIR complexion, otherwise you might look a bit ghastly and need to warm up your face with a bronzer.

on 7/7/2013 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was a little unsure of this at first, but it's totally grown on me! I reach for this every day now. I haven't used actual foundation in a couple months, and my skin is loving it! The texture is kind of thick so I was a little scared at first that this would break me out and be really heavy. It blends very nicely (a tad dark for me, but it works since its summer) and covers well. It can be layered for extra coverage. It isn't matte at first, but once it dries it is. I find that using a foundation brush works better than my fingers with this one. My only complaint is that I HAVE to wash my foundation brush after every use - I can't just do a quick rub on a paper towel with some cleaner. I don't know if it's the tea tree or another oil but it does make my brush really gunked up. My skin definitely looks better - I've changed a few of the products I'm using but this certainly hasn't hurt. My skin is softer and clearer and overall better looking! I've already ordered a second bottle. I do get a bit of wear through the day, but it doesn't look bad. Just more of a light coverage left. I've also used Skin79 pink label and Missha, and this is by far my favorite.

Edit 8/8/14:
I'm now on my 3rd bottle of this! I find that I'll stop wearing it for a while and go back to regular foundation, and every time I reach for this again I think "oh yea, this is so awesome!" It's just a great.