Models Prefer Kohl Pencil in matte black

4.3

I recently retrieved two eye pencils from my yet-to-use stash, both from Models Prefer and seemingly at completely opposite extremes on the quality scale.
The first one (which prompted me to write these reviews) was the Infinite Colour Eye Pencil. At first use it was hard and no colour was coming off it. So, just thinking it might have been because it had been stored for a while, and a fresh sharpening should likely correct it. Wrong!! It crumbled, it broke, the wooden part surrounding the tip cracked and splintered, and by the time I had managed to get it sharpened to a usable state, half the pencil was gone. THEN trying to actually use it was just as woeful. It was hard, waxy and crumbly and completely without colour whatsoever. To persist would've done some trauma to my eyes, so I binned it (then retrieved it - because a product this bad NEEDS a review. Now that I have, it's on its way to the tip). Terrible product.
BUT...at the opposite extreme was another offering by Models Prefer - this time the (Matte Black) Kohl Pencil. The difference between the two could not have been more stark. Considering it too had been stored for awhile, at very first use it was smooth and firm (without being too prone to softening. Some products glide on beautifully, but too much, and they'll need to be permanently kept in the fridge). This one seemed to have found a nice middle ground. It went on easily, but had a not-too-soft texture (that might affect its staying power), the colour was true and could be built on with additional strokes. It also came with a nice little smudge tip at the other end.
I can't remember the prices for each pencil, but one certainly appeared to be the cheap offering, and the second the quality item at the other end. Chalk and cheese. (The Kohl Pencil had good staying power too. I tried it on my hand as I was writing this review and have just rubbed it off with a tissue and can still faintly see it). So full marks for this one. I'd easily buy it again. And the first one? Well I wouldn't consider it, even on a budget. Not when there are so many GREAT budget buys out there that don't compromise quite so severely on quality.

Intensely pigmented black liner with built-in smudger on one end. One of the best for a chemist shop brand. Nice range of other colours too. Affordable

To Read all 3 Reviews, Login or Join