LUSH emotional brilliance

3.6

Warning: long review. Edit appears at the end.

I have tried two products from this line: "feeling younger" skin tint (a highlighter) and "ambition" lipstick.

"Feeling younger" is a creamy whitish orangy gold product with a whipped consistency in a jar. I think it's more subtle than Benefit's "high beam", but I'm not sure if "feeling younger" breaks me out. After I got my sample, I started having acne issues.

"Ambition" is a super-bright orangey lipstick. It goes on like a cream and is not glossy. It is not drying but it lasts and lasts. It lasted all through a meal and didn't come off even when I tried to wipe it off. I was only able to remove it when I got home, applied makeup remover to my lips and then had a shower. I think I prefer the colour of this lipstick when it's freshly applied because as it wears off, the undertone changes and it looks a bit blue. Since it's so bright, a little goes a long way. I would always apply this with a lip brush.

I have not tried the eyeliners or eyeshadows but I have seen other people wearing them and they tend to smudge. Apparently, all the colours in this line can be worn anywhere on the face. The colours can also be mixed with each other -- so you can mix a blue eyeliner with an orange lipstick to get something brownish. However I do feel that this line is for people who are either younger or have perfect skin that isn't acne-prone or sensitive to botanicals. Or people who can handle bright makeup. The reason I say this is because there are very few colours in the line that I can wear on a day to day basis without having to mix shades. The colours in the emotional brilliance line look like the inside an artist's paint box -- literally all the products looks like paint. I think my makeup aesthetic is more... muted or "natural"... or lazy. Some beauty bloggers have been saying that "perspective" can probably be worn by most people as it's a muted pink lipstick, but I find it a little greyish blue.

My overall impression is...

1) the emotional brilliance line is "fun" makeup. It is not makeup that I (personally) would wear to work or anywhere where I expect to not have to touch-up my face.

2) It is also makeup that looks better on people who ironically do not need makeup at all.

3) I think the colours are really unique and the bottles are cute; and it is nice that the ingredients are mostly natural and that there is a low percentage of perservatives (if any) -- however, this means the makeup has a short shelf life.

4) Personally I think the line is over-priced for what it is and I do not experience any of the "emotional" effects that the names of the colours are purported to have. [Some of the SAs I've encountered have told me that they have emotional effects.]

Edit: After a few weeks, I'm bumping the line up a lippie. Sure it's fiddly, but I find that the cream eyeshadows are easy to apply. I really like the eyeshadow colour "sophisticated". It's a pinkish taupe that shimmers and it is the perfect neutral for my NC20-25 complexion. It still does crease a bit so I have to set it with translucent powder (I don't use primer as I'm sensitive to silicones). For this lazy woman, "sophisticated" is an easy shade to wear without having to mix colours. Also, I purchased "power", which is a nice everyday warm red with a gold sheen. I can use it sheerly for a stain/tint or layer it on thicker for more drama. The emotional brilliance line in Australia is around $25-29. I still think it's over-priced (like all cosmetics in Australia). A MAC eyeshadow single here costs $35.

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I bought "Confident," a nice burgundy.
Pros:
Cute color
Moisturizing
Easy to apply
Easy to layer
Doe foot applicator for easy control

Cons:
Packaging (will be hard to get the product out after a lot of use)
Other colors were too pearly/kinda garish
A bit pricey

Another nice product from Lush, but I'm sure it can be improved upon. I'm happy with my purchase, though!

I'm in love with these. I bought Sophisticated eyeshadow which is a beautiful shimmery taupe to apply all over your lid. I then lined my lids with Quietly Motivated which is a nice medium bronze and the combo was spectacular. I was skeptical about the staying power because in the past all creams shadows creased on me. These are liquidy goodness and they stayed put for a 8 hour shift and then some. I also bought the deep plum lipstick called Confident. Its a gorgeous deep plum perfect for fall. I do have to add a clear lip balm over it because my lips are on the dry side and without lip balm the product stuck to my dry spots. It doesn't last as long on me as a lip stain, but it does last longer than a lip gloss. I love these and plan to buy more.

DECISIVE lipstick

I have been destined to own this lipstick since the very first moment I tried it on. The reason is simple - I fell in love with the colour. Can't help but this is the most pigmented this I've ever worn ...and it makes the colour really intense. And I mean reeeeally intense.
I also like the texture which is a little bit oily, so it hydrates your lips well.
And I like those cold undertones (a sort of neon pink or violet) you can see in the highlights it gives away.

On the contrary I have to say that is thing is unbelievably messy. You have to be very careful while using because it is very persistant if you put it on your hand, T-shirt...and so on. Unfortunately the only place where it's not very persistant are surprisingly your lips. This smudges like hell. If knew how it was going to hard to apply it, I would think it over.

The colour is awesome, but I can't wear because of the horribly messy texture which won't last few minutes without smudging all around your lips.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I bought Confident & Perspective, these two colors mixed together makes a beautiful mauve nude color on my lips which looks great On my complexion (NC 50 Mac ). They look great on their own as well but with perspective a lipliner is needed in my opinion, it looks too pale on my lips. The other minor problem with perpective is it tends to settle in between my lips lines & can give an uneven application. So exfoliating & moisturizing is key to getting an even application, I've even tried coloring in my lips with a lipliner closet to the color to help minimize the creasing & to prolong the wear of this lipstick. Other than that the application is smooth, long wearing & moisturizing, & vibrant colors. Don't like the glass bottles and the dinky applicators, I'm pretty clumsy & if my don gets a hold of them, that's money down the drain... A little goes a long ready, so I dab a few dots on my lips & blend with my fingers. These will last me a long time, the other color that also looked great on my complexion is passionate which will be my next purchase.

I was so excited when Lush came out with eye/lip makeup that I went out and bought some right away. I bought the red lip color called "Decisive". Well, this was actually TOO effective as a lip stain because it would not come off!! Even after scrubbing, it would not come off my lips or anywhere else it got. Also, the applicator broke off inside the bottle so now I can't get it off. The color itself was way too bright, I know that sounds weird, but it would only work in very select situations (definitely not for everyday). Hopefully Lush will improve their makeup... this was definitely not worth the 23 dollars I paid for it.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

PACKAGING IS HORRIFIC! It arrived to me in mail from lush.com and the wand was BROKEN Clean off!, I ordered and mascara aswell and the applicator was snapped off aswell VERY POOR PACKAGING. The product itself is a bit thick and weird consistency. I won't be repurchasing!

This is by far my favorite and longest lasting creme cheek color! I bought Perspective after having a LUSH sa try it out on me and I still remain impressed by it. It a very pigmented creme all in one color for you face/body.

Things I love about it:

- The scent. Very subtle, doesn't linger or overpower, and you barely notice it is there. It is a very natural orange flower/neroli and rose scent.

- The color. These little jars are jam packed with pigment, and a little goes a long way. 2 or three dabs and it is more than adequate as a check color. Plus, it is the most natural looking creme cheek color I've ever used. Just blends in beautifully, a very natural rosy look. I have Bobbi Brown cheek colors, but they tend to be hard to blend and too bright, and the Tarte gel ones I've used didn't look as natural.

- It's long lasting. I have not used these pigments on my eyelids, although I mixed it with some of my Rosebud lip balm to create a gloss which lasted about as long as I could lick my lips. However, I'm so impressed by how long lasting the color was on my cheeks! After an 8+ day of commuting, working, walking outside in the the wind, the blush was still there! I have used all sorts of creme and gel blushes only to have it all rub off in a the span of 2 hours, but not this.

- Easy to apply. I think the doe foot applicator is perfect for this, and I like that Lush used glass jars. I love make up that is easy to apply, and nothing is easier than apply this with your fingers.

Overall, I think the Emotional Brilliance line is interesting, but definitely stands out as cheek/face cremes and highlighters. I would also recommend trying out one of the pigments as a cheek color, and pairing it with Feeling Younger the pearl colored highlighter creme, such a natural beautiful look!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought a deeply pigmented lip colour/ cheek colour called Confidence. It is most like Nars lip stain in Victoire. It will not budge and is quite matte. Good does-it-all product. Nice subtle scent. Got it at half-price in the post-Christmas sales. Result.

I got the Independant eyeliner (black) and Decisive lipstick (cherry red).
The eyeliner goes on well, but I've noticed that some bits end up flaking when dry and ending up in the corners of my eyes. On the plus side, any mistakes can be wiped away really easily.
The lipstick is way too bright for me though. I thought it would be darker when I swatched it in the shop but it ended up everywhere when I tried it on my lips, and it was really hard to remove the stain. However, when using it as a blush (just a dab on each cheek and really blending it in) it was pretty good.
The packaging is really cute and would be pretty handy for travelling.
I got these two at half price at the after Christmas sales, so it wasn't expensive but I'm not sure I'd repurchase. I might go and get a creme eyeshadow though.