LUSH emotional brilliance

Filtered by age: 30-35

1 review

Warning: long review. Edit appears at the end.

I have tried two products from this line: "feeling younger" skin tint (a highlighter) and "ambition" lipstick.

"Feeling younger" is a creamy whitish orangy gold product with a whipped consistency in a jar. I think it's more subtle than Benefit's "high beam", but I'm not sure if "feeling younger" breaks me out. After I got my sample, I started having acne issues.

"Ambition" is a super-bright orangey lipstick. It goes on like a cream and is not glossy. It is not drying but it lasts and lasts. It lasted all through a meal and didn't come off even when I tried to wipe it off. I was only able to remove it when I got home, applied makeup remover to my lips and then had a shower. I think I prefer the colour of this lipstick when it's freshly applied because as it wears off, the undertone changes and it looks a bit blue. Since it's so bright, a little goes a long way. I would always apply this with a lip brush.

I have not tried the eyeliners or eyeshadows but I have seen other people wearing them and they tend to smudge. Apparently, all the colours in this line can be worn anywhere on the face. The colours can also be mixed with each other -- so you can mix a blue eyeliner with an orange lipstick to get something brownish. However I do feel that this line is for people who are either younger or have perfect skin that isn't acne-prone or sensitive to botanicals. Or people who can handle bright makeup. The reason I say this is because there are very few colours in the line that I can wear on a day to day basis without having to mix shades. The colours in the emotional brilliance line look like the inside an artist's paint box -- literally all the products looks like paint. I think my makeup aesthetic is more... muted or "natural"... or lazy. Some beauty bloggers have been saying that "perspective" can probably be worn by most people as it's a muted pink lipstick, but I find it a little greyish blue.

My overall impression is...

1) the emotional brilliance line is "fun" makeup. It is not makeup that I (personally) would wear to work or anywhere where I expect to not have to touch-up my face.

2) It is also makeup that looks better on people who ironically do not need makeup at all.

3) I think the colours are really unique and the bottles are cute; and it is nice that the ingredients are mostly natural and that there is a low percentage of perservatives (if any) -- however, this means the makeup has a short shelf life.

4) Personally I think the line is over-priced for what it is and I do not experience any of the "emotional" effects that the names of the colours are purported to have. [Some of the SAs I've encountered have told me that they have emotional effects.]

Edit: After a few weeks, I'm bumping the line up a lippie. Sure it's fiddly, but I find that the cream eyeshadows are easy to apply. I really like the eyeshadow colour "sophisticated". It's a pinkish taupe that shimmers and it is the perfect neutral for my NC20-25 complexion. It still does crease a bit so I have to set it with translucent powder (I don't use primer as I'm sensitive to silicones). For this lazy woman, "sophisticated" is an easy shade to wear without having to mix colours. Also, I purchased "power", which is a nice everyday warm red with a gold sheen. I can use it sheerly for a stain/tint or layer it on thicker for more drama. The emotional brilliance line in Australia is around $25-29. I still think it's over-priced (like all cosmetics in Australia). A MAC eyeshadow single here costs $35.