Honeybee Gardens - Pressed Mineral Powder Foundation

Honeybee Gardens - Pressed Mineral Powder Foundation

3.6

Mica, Kaolin, Corn Starch, Magnesium Carbonate, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Squalane, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is gluten-free, natural, and it's a beautiful shade match in, "Geisha," if you're an N10.

I'm rewriting this review after months of trying to make this work. It has three main issues:

1.) It will sit in your pores. I have oily, acne-prone skin with visible pores, and this looks like little dots after a few hours.

2.) It has bamboo in it. Bamboo is like little shards of glass, after a while. I found this both irritating to my eyes, and irritating to rosacea.

3.) It stays streaky. As a finishing powder it will work with CoverFX in N10, but only because the Cover Fx is not streaky. As a foundation by itself, or over other foundations that aren't an exact match, this doesn't work as a longer-wear powder.

For that, I can't recommend it.

on 11/20/2015 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Finally, a major win as far as color match! I have been looking for a natural ingredient, mineral powder that matches my skin (Indian, medium brown, golden undertone), with no luck. I tried Pacifica, Physician's Formula, and Mineral Fusion - I had various issues with all of them, and none matched my color - often they also didn't have enough yellow for my golden undertone. This powder not only goes on more smoothly and subtly, not at all looking like it is sitting ontop of my skin, it also blends with my skin better than any other powder I have ever found, period, mineral or not. I use a light hand in general - I'm not trying to achieve lots of coverage, just a light coat, and covering shine. I can't tell you if it will get cakey if you try to put a lot on - but to me it seems less likely to do that than Mineral Fusion pressed foundation, which I could see sitting on my skin. This really buffs/blends well into my skin. I personally did not find it to be shimmery at all, it is matte on my skin. If there is any shine at all, it matches the normal reflection I would have on non-oily skin. Keep in mind that I use Sundance - so I don't know if that varies between shades?

I love that the company will send you 50 cent samples - I sampled a range, and finally narrowed it down to Sundance and Montego. They look pretty different, but I found that they are good for the same shade of skin, but with a difference in undertone: Sundance has a more golden undertone, while Montego has a more pinkish undertone. Sundance was my true match. The powder itself comes in a flimsy container, but I love that you can buy the actual compact case and keep refilling it - and the fact that it has a mirror and puff make it so, so, SO much more convenient than brands that lack either of those (Pacifica, Mineral Fusion).

So.....this may or may not work well for you....but the good news is, you can just order samples to find out for yourself!

p.s. If ordering directly from the company, I highly recommend trying out samples first - their website states that a) you can't make any cancellations once you've submitted the order; b) you can't receive a refund on shipping if you return the item; and c) if you send back an item because of ordering the wrong color or no longer wanting it, they will charge a 15% administrative fee.

Update: I really, really love this powder! I was using Bobbi Brown before, and I find this is a great replacement for someone with golden/yellow undertones. I liked both the Bobbi Brown loose powder, which I applied at home, and the compact, which I used for reapplication while out. This doesn't come in a loose powder, but the pressed powder is quite soft - I mean, it is solid, it's not coming apart, but it is softer and more velvety than other pressed powders I have used, so it's like a perfect in-between! I keep one at home which I apply with a brush, then I take one with me and use a puff to reapply while I'm out.

The puff can be used very gently/lightly, as it picks up a lot of product, and the coverage is quite good - I don't feel like I did with other mineral foundations, as though I were applying and applying but still having an oily face, with this, I can see a clear difference of where I patted the puff even once.

You do need to buy the compact case separately, but that's because it's refillable - it is magnetic and will hold new pressed powder refills, so that is much less wasteful. It is a small, rectangular shape and very light - it also has a separate compartment for the puff, so that it's not sitting ontop of the powder all day, collecting powder and transferring any oil from your face to the powder. Moreover, the area for the puff has little holes in it, so the puff itself gets a chance to breathe a little rather than sitting clammed up in the case all day.

Basically, I'm totally sold on this powder! It's amazing that I could get such a good powder at such a reasonably low price.

To Read all 13 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/25/2015 11:58:00 PM

*Skin type/color: oily combo, Asian, med. yellow tone
*Paraben, gluten free. Does not test on animals. Vegan. Contains no harsh ingredients.

I really enjoyed the "Luminous" pressed powder. I only use it lightly after using a BB cream or concealer (under my eyes). It does sparkle in the sun (Edward Cullens vibe) and it might bother some people but it's great for a natural light coverage (depending on how much you put, of course). It keeps my face matte for hours.

This is one of the worst foundations I've ever used. I would stay away if you have dry skin. I have very small pores and this managed to make every single one of them MORE noticeable. I first learned about this product because it won a 2014 Organic Beauty Talk Readers Choice Award. No idea how that is possible. Maybe it works for some, but if you have dry skin I would avoid.

on 6/24/2015 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this in Malibu, which was actually a shade too light (Montego is perfect) but it blended beautifully, builds to medium-full coverage and neither dries nor breaks my skin out.

It is one of my favourite pressed powders and for the price it is one I will buy again and again. It lasts pretty well, even through my boxing workouts when I'm sweating like crazy. It's also very matte (which I like) and doesn't leave shiny spots after a few hours.

I'd definitely repurchase.

on 2/12/2015 12:33:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I have this in the lightest color, Geisha. My skin tone is porcelain with pink undertones and this is a good match. I like to apply this over my foundation with a light hand using a Real Techniques powder brush. Use too much of this natural ingredient, unscented product and you will look cakey. Gives sheer to light coverage. I would not use this on its own for coverage. Does not irritate my combination skin or cause breakouts. Gluten free. For reference, it is the same color as Maybelline Fit Me powder in shade 110 porcelain.

This is a nice pressed powder foundation. I like that you buy the product/pan separately from the compact. It does make the foundation a bit more expensive to purchase the first time around, but it saves money in the long run and cuts down on waste. (Also, the little bee on the compact is just charming.) You can buy samples cheaply from Honeybee Gardens's website ($0.50 each). The samples will come as a loose powder, however; not pressed. Each sample baggie will last for 3-5 applications, depending on how much you apply.

I have this in the color "Geisha," which is the lightest shade they have. I'm very fair and neutral-toned. This is a pretty good color match for me; it could stand to be a bit less pink but it's definitely workable. I think there are only 5 shades total, so they could do with a bit more color variety.

If you don't need lots of coverage, this works fine as a stand-alone product. I would say it has light to medium coverage that is somewhat buildable. If you need heavier coverage, it's best to pre-conceal problem areas first or use it over a liquid foundation. It won't give you a perfect, airbrushed-looking face, but it conceals redness and mild/moderate discoloration quite well. The finish is matte.

It applies very smoothly; no chalkiness at all. I think normal to slightly oily skins would be very happy with this. Drier skin might find it too drying unless they sufficiently moisturized beforehand. Very oily skins will want to set this with a fixing powder. (My skin is combination to oily. On days when I won't need my makeup to last too long, I can use it by itself, but if I want all-day wear, I set it with a silica powder.) It applies well with either a dense powder brush (I've used both a flat-top and a kabuki) or a flocked sponge. The sponge included in the compact is alright in a pinch, but it's very small and quite inflexible, so it's not ideal.

The one con I have to point out about this is that it does have a bit of a tendency to emphasize fine lines. I'm 25 and have minimal lines. From a slight distance, my skin looks great with this on, but up close, the fine lines under my eyes and next to my mouth are emphasized. A good primer would probably help this, but I don't wear primer.

This doesn't give me perfect, flawless skin, but it's a nice, solid powder foundation. The convenience really can't be beat and it's my go-to for days when I am just trying to throw something on my face to look a little better but can't be bothered with a long routine. It's rare for me to find an affordable, cruelty-free, *pressed* powder foundation in a decent color match, so I will definitely keep it around in my makeup kit from now on.

on 5/22/2014 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I wasn't completely sure about this when I first purchased but it's totally grown on me. I bought it in the color "malibu" off iherb (I'm a MAC NC40/42). It doesn't break me out and it provides a little extra coverage when using my kiehls bb cream. It's very light-weight and provides decent coverage on it's own for people with minimal skin issues. Personally, I have a wrecked grill so I can't get away with wearing it alone but I definitely recommend. The oil control is amazing for those with combination skin.

My skin is extremely DRY at the moment and this didn't make my dry patches stand out.

I recommend it for sure, it's a great powder that's under 10 bucks!!!!

on 4/12/2013 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Was tired of paying a lot for Bare Minerals. Tried a good number brands of mineral makeup and finally found Honeybee Gardens powder which I purchased in the supernatural shade. No talc or parabens and vegan. Absolutely love it. It does not settle into wrinkles as did Bare Minerals. No matter what one puts on one's face, one will have wrinkles, but this is much, much better than Bare Minerals that really settled big time into wrinkles.The shade is just perfect for me. The only drawback is that one has to order it online since it is not sold in many brick and mortar stores in my area. I definitely would repurchase. Really love it!

on 3/23/2013 2:42:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I bought this in Geisha. At first it looked alright, but after an hour it took on a grayish hue. I recoiled when I saw myself in the mirror. Plus my face looked oily. Very disappointing.