E.L.F. Tone Correcting Powder

E.L.F. Tone Correcting Powder
Tone Correcting PowderTone Correcting Powder

4.2

Mica, Talc, Magnesium Myristate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Nylon-12, Titanium Dioxide, Octyldodecanol, Dimethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Boron Nitride.

on 6/16/2017 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

First of all, I should disclose that I'm not a big fan of pressed powders overall. I don't think they set the makeup as well or as flawlessly as loose powders, and that's not the fault of this powder in particular. It's more down to my preference and what works for my skin.

I have the cool toned one, and I don't think this powder is tone correcting as much as it's just plain brightening. And the reason it's brightening is that it essentially is a very light powder. You'll notice that there isn't much of a difference between the four shades, if you swatch them separately. At least not on my fair skin, and I think you have to have somewhat light skin tones if you don't want to alter the shade of your foundation or create a white cast. What I do appreciate, however, is that it's a brightening powder that doesn't have a ton of sparkle - in fact, it has none. I sometimes use it to set my undereye concealer for that reason. I also will say that the powder is really finely milled and doesn't make your foundation look cake-y, and that's not bad for such a cheap powder!

I think if you're looking for a product to color correct, you're much better off just buying liquid or cream color correction. However, if you want something brightening but still matte, you might want to take a chance on it. If you also tend to like pressed powders, I think you'll like it even more than me, since I'm partial to loose powders.

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegan
+ Finely milled and non cake-y
+ Very affordable product
+ Brightening without being shimmery
+ The packaging! Very sturdy, large mirror, simply impressive with such a cheap product

- The tone correcting aspect is more of a gimmick than anything else, like someone below mentioned
- Will probably create a white cast on some skin tones

on 6/14/2017 9:42:00 PM

I suffer from rosacea so was interested to try this powder for its purported color correction. I applied it to one side of my face and saw a tiny lightening effect and reduction in redness - but no more so than with most other face powders. I swirled the brush around in all colours as indicated. I also tried swirling a cotton pad around in all colours and saw that the deposit on the tissue (the combination of all four colours) wound up being a sort of warm white/ivory. So basically by using this powder you are applying a warm white powder to your face. The multi colours are a gimmick, IMHO.

on 5/17/2017 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Pros:
The packaging is very sturdy and great to keep to in your purse.
It can control my oil about 4 hours, which is not bad for oily skin.
Cons:
It does appear chalky and it will emphasize dryness.
My skin looks cakey and very white after put this on.
Overall, an average, budget-friendly product!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I enjoy using this powder. I use it on top of foundation in place of a translucent powder and it helps control oil and keep my foundation matte. I also find that it does make my skin tone look more even. It does not make my skin look dry or chalky, but instead leaves a matte yet natural finish. A little goes a long way, so this compact will last for a long time. The compact itself is good quality and quite sturdy, so will be good for travel. It also has a mirror in the lid. This is a great powder and extremely well priced. I would repurchase.

on 3/26/2016 6:13:00 PM

I use this daily to set my foundation. It is perfect for those of us who like a translucent (I use the cool pallet) finish. I find when using a tinted powder I go from looking dewy with my foundation to looking like a dumped my face into a bucket of dust.
It helps set the liquid foundation, without making me look powdery, once it to has settled. I'm really happy with this, and plan to purchase this or it's beaded counterpart when I run out.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I used the laura mercier translucent powder before and I got this after thinking it was a color correcting cream. When I found out it was powder, I put it away for a while and continued with the Mercier. I recently dug it out of my bag of stuff I never use and Wow! I missed out. It does a great job of keeping my face matte until at least 11:00 am (I put on makeup around 6:30 am) and does a great job of keeping the redness of acne away.

on 1/3/2016 7:02:00 PM

A fantastic concealer that really helps my under eye look brighter. Excellent finely milled consistency, cheap as hell and long lasting. Only took one star off because mine came with a chipped corner. Prolly just got dropped in the store.

on 12/30/2015 6:07:00 PM

I really like this product! Elf is definately a hit or miss makeup brand and this was definitely a hit! I didn't like it at first because of some bad experiences I had with other elf products but when I recently pulled it back out and gave it another try I loved it! I have very acne prone and sensitive skin and this doesn't irritate it at all. It covers the redness and discoloration on my cheeks and chin and isn't chalky like I thought it would be. For the price this is definately worth it!

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

love this. my skin has lots of freckles and acne marks. after I put my normal Mary Kay foundation on I put this on on top. it covers my acne marks and let's my feckles show through. I buy this all the time I usually get it at walmart since the small town I live in doesn't have many stores. this powder sells fast so make sure you buy two or three when the store has them in stock. I recommend this product

I really like this product. It is kind of similar to the HD powder. I honestly do prefer the HD powder, but this is pressed and has a much less bulky packaging. Its a very finely milled, matte powder.

I own this in the shade Warm, and as far as "tone correcting" this really does nothing. It's white.

Like a lot of people have mentioned this is kind of chalky and gives a sort of white cast (maybe not the best for darker skin tones), however not really the same way the HD powder gives a white cast. This really gives me a vintage feeling if that makes any sense. It gives a matte, powdered finish like what you would see in the 40s and 50s. This might make it sound like horrible quality, but I really like this finish for a vintage look and will use this alone or as my setting powder (with a heavy hand) if that is what I'm going for. This "cast" powdery finish will however disappear quickly if applied with a light hand.

I'm going to give this 3 lippies because I prefer the HD powder so I don't really reach for this unless I'm going for a certain look, or if I'm traveling.