Lancome La Vie Est Belle

Lancome La Vie Est Belle

3.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Patchouli choking in artificial pears and baby powder, its everything I don't like in perfume. To me this smells overpowering, cheap, boring, anti-sexual, anti-social, and utterly tasteless. Like someone weak and frail who has lost their sense of taste and smell well before their time, its the old maid's version of Angel.

I find it funny how people talk this up over cheaper, prettier fragrances. Maybe its because I don't find Julia Roberts appealing the magic doesn't happen for me? Anyway, it may be super popular but secretly alot of people really hate this.

Top notes - black currant, pear
Heart notes - iris, jasmine, orange blossom
Base notes - patchouli, vanilla, tonka bean, praline

LVEB is to the 2010s what Coco Mademoiselle was to the 2000s and what Angel was to the 1990s: a high-quality, impeccably crafted sweetchouli that you smell everywhere, that is the ambient noise behind every high-end cosmetics counter... but that you grudgingly admit to be very nice. It's more wearable for me than either Coco Mad or Angel-- which is likely because it sat in focus groups for a long time getting cleansed of any hint of filth or controversy.

I wear and enjoy LVEB without expecting it to be other than what it is. If you poured into a cauldron Pink Sugar, Euphoria, Fantasy, Flowerbomb, Prada Candy, and every iteration of Marc Jacobs and Juicy Couture over the past 10 years, and added a touch of the required Lancome maturity so that the scent could be convingly worn by those >35, you'd have LVEB. It is sweet but not silly, grounded quite well by the iris and patchouli, and it projects for hours and miles so you get your money's worth. It just plain smells good. Great, even. My family far prefers smelling this on me than some of my beloved vintage stinkers (which makes me sad because they don't share my elevated tastes).The praline and blackcurrant are delicious, the patchouli is just-enough, the florals make this clean instead of sticky. It's full-bottle worthy to me, if only because I subjectively prefer it to the many other scents in this category that smell quite similar to it. Sometimes you just want to smell non-controversially "nice" and this one fills that bill.

on 7/24/2017 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Light & elegant? More like: Strong & Sweet sweet Candy Bubblegum Playschool, like scented eraser or dough etc Cheep celeb fragrance Disney Sweet drinks and I'm not talking about sweet wine, I'm going with undiluted & extremely sweet & cheap cordial drink It's strong too :/ Best for 16 & belows and 70 & aboves is a better description. This isn't light and

on 2/24/2017 5:00:00 PM

This was a blind buy because of the hype, but what a mistake that was. This is how a perfume shop smells like. Sooo overpowering and instant headache. It is really strong, powdery and sweet. One spray is more than enough. It has great lasting power, but it's not my cup of tea. The package is great but it is expensive. I gave it away to a friend.

I only have a sample of this at the moment but I think I'm having a bit of a love affair with it. If you hate sweet smells this defiantly is not for you. I find it very unusual and ultra feminine. Very tempted to purchase the full size even though I'm very fickle with Perfume. Fragrance is best tested by the individual as it's such a personal thing X

This review is for the EdP.

Top Notes: Black Currant and Pear.

Heart Notes: Iris, Jasmine, and Orange Blossom.

Base Notes: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, and Praline.

I heard so much about this fragrance. According to my on-line research, it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, which I found truly surprising because after all, in Paris one can find every Guerlain, Chanel, and Dior that is still being made, and all three houses offer outstanding fragrances, so I was very curious about LVEB upon reading that it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, and I pushed myself to go to the shopping mall in order to test it.

Although citrus notes are not listed for LVEB, I smelt pure citrus upon initial application, and citrus is all I smelt for well over half an hour---perhaps it came from the orange blossom? I soon began to wonder where were the gourmand notes everyone mentions as I could not detect any, nor could I detect black currant, pear, or iris. Finally, after an about an hour, the base notes began to come through, and I was able to discern vanilla and other sweet notes, probably praline.

Projection and sillage were excellent. I could see that everyone around me noticed the fragrance on me, and I had only spritzed one good spray on the back of one hand! Longevity was outstanding to say the least. I could still smell LVEB quite strongly late in the evening before I bathed but after I had washed my hands a couple of times. LVEB has tremendous tenacity. I suspect it would last for days and days on clothing.

Unfortunately, I am unable to understand why LVEB is so very popular. I certainly do not think the huge point of sale photos of Julia Robertson is what makes LVEB sell well. Yes, it is sweet and gourmand, which is one type of fragrance that I enjoy, BUT it smelt very synthetic. In fact, it smelt so synthetic that it actually made me feel a bit embarrassed. The only other fragrance I have smelt that is as synthetic as LVEB is Jessica Simpson Fancy EdP, which I purchased blindly and then quickly got rid of it.

I cannot say I hate LVEB, but I also cannot say I truly like it, and I would not purchase it even at half the price. If it were gifted to me, I might keep it just for the pretty bottle, but I cannot imagine I would wear it very often--maybe only on exceptionally cold winter days and even then, I think other fragrances in my collection would be more tempting. If I wanted a delicious, praline fragrance, I would use my Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber every time over LVEB. Sensual Amber smells so much better, so much more complex and less linear than LVEB, and Sensual Amber does not smell so synthetic. As an added bonus, Sensual Amber is quite inexpensive, too.

Some people have compared LVEB to Angel, and I certainly understand why the two have been compared, but I own Angel in both the EdP and EdT formulations, as well as Angel body creme, and I think Angel is far, far superior to LVEB. Angel does not have the strong synthetic vibe to my nose, and it is more complex. I cannot say Angel smells "natural," but it certainly does not smell as strongly synthetic as LVEB.

Therefore, if you want a sweet, gourmand with prominent praline/chocolate, my best advice is to try Sensual Amber first, and then try Angel second if you want to spend more money. Frankly, if you want to keep costs down and still smell fabulous, I think you would be very satisfied with Sensual Amber which is so good that I cannot imagine ever not having it in my collection. As for LVEB, well, I am disappointed in the fragrance, but I have rated it two lippies due to its excellent projection, sillage, and longevity.

Fragrance: 3/10

Projection: 10/10

Sillage: 10/10

Longevity: 10/10

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I discovered this perfume in Dec 2014.
I have allways loved chocolate based fragrances and previously have worn Flowerbomb.
I ordered 4 gift sets from Boots in the january sale online, but after all that they had ran out.
So I ended up buying the 100ml instead and have worn it everyday since.
Its very similar to flowerbomb on my skin.But the Praline seems to last heavily on my neck,catch it now and then.Its not as obvious to my nose.I sometimes think some scents dont last.But according to others they can smell the perfume still.
I have bought a spare bottle for when I run out as I had a money off voucher.

on 12/18/2014 4:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Beautiful fragrance not over bearing or if you have allergy issues. Long lasting beautiful bottle. My hubby noticed and liked it so for Christmas he bought me the 1.7 oz I was hoping for the gift set but was sold out.
Gourmand scent but all the notes blend beautifully so it doesn't smell like food.
Can't go wrong with this one

on 9/26/2014 5:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I love this scent for fall and winter. It is sweet and warm and very feminine. It lasts beautifully and I get compliments on it all the time. I don't feel there is anything old lady about it at all, but rather new and sophisticated. Surprised at the negatives on here. I'll be wearing this one for a long time!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Too strong and cloying. Sillage is high on this one. It's too bad that Lancome gave all the marketing dollars to this headache inducer and literally none to the new Tresor Lumineuse, which is so much more complex and beautiful than this one. I am a true blue Lancome Girl but this one just can't get my vote. This fragrance is like a 30 or 40 year old woman trying to dress like a teenager. I just don't get it. It's completely inappropriate.

Popular Fragrances