Lancome La Vie Est Belle

Filtered by skin type : Other
Lancome La Vie Est Belle

3.0

on 11/6/2016 4:49:00 PM

This is the first perfume I was so complimented on but after wearing it for a while (I was given some samples with an other buy) I found its sweatness sickening. I don' t get much iris either, just sweet vanilla and some florals I can' t identify by name -but not iris. It‘ s definitely there, still what we smell or don‘ t smell heavily depends on our skin quemistry after all...
I gave it a 3 merely for the compliments I got and for its staying power, especially on clothes. La Vie Est Belle is a crowd pleaser, it is a happy perfume, but it is not for me.

on 6/22/2016 9:06:00 AM

A sales rep sprayed this perfume onto my wrist and I was immediately repelled. It is a powerful odour of overripe fruit and heavily flavoured candy-floss. Two hours later the smell is just as powerful. Awful. I prefer a lighter, less penetrating perfume.

This review is for the EdP.

Top Notes: Black Currant and Pear.

Heart Notes: Iris, Jasmine, and Orange Blossom.

Base Notes: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, and Praline.

I heard so much about this fragrance. According to my on-line research, it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, which I found truly surprising because after all, in Paris one can find every Guerlain, Chanel, and Dior that is still being made, and all three houses offer outstanding fragrances, so I was very curious about LVEB upon reading that it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, and I pushed myself to go to the shopping mall in order to test it.

Although citrus notes are not listed for LVEB, I smelt pure citrus upon initial application, and citrus is all I smelt for well over half an hour---perhaps it came from the orange blossom? I soon began to wonder where were the gourmand notes everyone mentions as I could not detect any, nor could I detect black currant, pear, or iris. Finally, after an about an hour, the base notes began to come through, and I was able to discern vanilla and other sweet notes, probably praline.

Projection and sillage were excellent. I could see that everyone around me noticed the fragrance on me, and I had only spritzed one good spray on the back of one hand! Longevity was outstanding to say the least. I could still smell LVEB quite strongly late in the evening before I bathed but after I had washed my hands a couple of times. LVEB has tremendous tenacity. I suspect it would last for days and days on clothing.

Unfortunately, I am unable to understand why LVEB is so very popular. I certainly do not think the huge point of sale photos of Julia Robertson is what makes LVEB sell well. Yes, it is sweet and gourmand, which is one type of fragrance that I enjoy, BUT it smelt very synthetic. In fact, it smelt so synthetic that it actually made me feel a bit embarrassed. The only other fragrance I have smelt that is as synthetic as LVEB is Jessica Simpson Fancy EdP, which I purchased blindly and then quickly got rid of it.

I cannot say I hate LVEB, but I also cannot say I truly like it, and I would not purchase it even at half the price. If it were gifted to me, I might keep it just for the pretty bottle, but I cannot imagine I would wear it very often--maybe only on exceptionally cold winter days and even then, I think other fragrances in my collection would be more tempting. If I wanted a delicious, praline fragrance, I would use my Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber every time over LVEB. Sensual Amber smells so much better, so much more complex and less linear than LVEB, and Sensual Amber does not smell so synthetic. As an added bonus, Sensual Amber is quite inexpensive, too.

Some people have compared LVEB to Angel, and I certainly understand why the two have been compared, but I own Angel in both the EdP and EdT formulations, as well as Angel body creme, and I think Angel is far, far superior to LVEB. Angel does not have the strong synthetic vibe to my nose, and it is more complex. I cannot say Angel smells "natural," but it certainly does not smell as strongly synthetic as LVEB.

Therefore, if you want a sweet, gourmand with prominent praline/chocolate, my best advice is to try Sensual Amber first, and then try Angel second if you want to spend more money. Frankly, if you want to keep costs down and still smell fabulous, I think you would be very satisfied with Sensual Amber which is so good that I cannot imagine ever not having it in my collection. As for LVEB, well, I am disappointed in the fragrance, but I have rated it two lippies due to its excellent projection, sillage, and longevity.

Fragrance: 3/10

Projection: 10/10

Sillage: 10/10

Longevity: 10/10

I absolutely LOVE this perfume. On me, I don't get any flowery notes at all. I get a sweet black currant syrup at the opening, which settles into a heart of a berry-vanilla-patchouli blend, and a dry down of a vanilla patchouli. It is somewhat similar to flowerbomb, but it is by no means a dupe. I like flowerbomb, but I LOVE La Vie Est Belle. It lasts all day and night on me, granted it fades in intensity but I'm still getting whiffs of it the next morning when I wake up.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Ok, the first time I smelt this perfume was at work on a colleague, this woman obviously sprays herself with this perfume like it's Charlie red or something! I could smell a very very strong and sweet perfume on her and I asked what it was and she replied 'la vie est belle'. I thought it sounded familiar and remembered Julia Roberts heads the campaign etc etc. This colleague nearly put me off this perfume as she brings the bottle to work with her and reapplies all day, I walk down a corridor and she's no where to be seen but the place stinks of caramel and candy floss! She smokes too so sweet perfume and old nicotine mixed together ain't smelling great! she wears this so wrong too, she cheapens the perfume, considering we work in a nursing home I think wearing this much perfume is wrong, and when you imagine the smells we come across a much fresher perfume is required! Anyway, I did go and try this perfume and OMG once I get passed the thing in my head about my colleague it is lovely! Yes really sweet and very strong, this won't wear off! One spray is all you need, and it stays for hours!! If you love gourmand fragrances this is great! I will not be wearing it to work! Also I can not imagine Julia Roberts wearing this at all, I imagine her to be a Chanel girl!

on 8/7/2014 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Way too strong and mature. The body lotion is better. But this one is not wearable tome. It is moderately expensive but the bottle is a masterpiece. I think the only way to describe this perfume is NOT LIGHT. It is pretty but it needs to be diluted down. It is nothing special. I find it rather generic. Having said that I would not turn down a free bottle and I have turned down many free bottles.

on 12/9/2013 8:37:00 PM

I like this perfume a lot but it is very SWEET. It smells almost like candy. My mom said I smelled like a lollipop. It's a nice scent but I prefer something a little less sweet and more musky.

on 6/16/2013 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I've had a sample of this for a while and avoided trying it, because the patchouli & praline made me think it would just be a disappointing Angel clone (I love Thierry Mugler's Angel, but the million fragrances made to somewhat copy it tend to be awful on me). Much to my surprise, I really like this and can't pick out the patchouli or praline at all. On me, this is mostly jasmine, iris, and vanilla with undertones of pear and currant. It's definitely a warm, sweet fragrance, but the jasmine and iris give it a sensual, perfumey feel that cuts through the sweetness nicely. A lot of floral blends tend to be too sharp and give me a headache, but I really like La Vie Est Belle. Sweet, vanilla-y floral. It's almost warm, sunny, and reminiscent of honeysuckle and golden sweetness on my skin (actually, it reminds me quite a bit of the sweet Miss Dior Cherie). I'm not sure if I'd ever purchase a full bottle, in part because I own a bottle of Miss Dior Cherie, but I do like this.

I received this perfume as a gift, and while I do like the scent and it lasts all day, I really don't like the bottle design.

Vile.