Lancome La Vie Est Belle

Filtered by skin tone : Other
Lancome La Vie Est Belle

3.5

on 11/6/2016 4:49:00 PM

This is the first perfume I was so complimented on but after wearing it for a while (I was given some samples with an other buy) I found its sweatness sickening. I don' t get much iris either, just sweet vanilla and some florals I can' t identify by name -but not iris. It‘ s definitely there, still what we smell or don‘ t smell heavily depends on our skin quemistry after all...
I gave it a 3 merely for the compliments I got and for its staying power, especially on clothes. La Vie Est Belle is a crowd pleaser, it is a happy perfume, but it is not for me.

on 6/22/2016 9:06:00 AM

A sales rep sprayed this perfume onto my wrist and I was immediately repelled. It is a powerful odour of overripe fruit and heavily flavoured candy-floss. Two hours later the smell is just as powerful. Awful. I prefer a lighter, less penetrating perfume.

This review is for the EdP.

Top Notes: Black Currant and Pear.

Heart Notes: Iris, Jasmine, and Orange Blossom.

Base Notes: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, and Praline.

I heard so much about this fragrance. According to my on-line research, it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, which I found truly surprising because after all, in Paris one can find every Guerlain, Chanel, and Dior that is still being made, and all three houses offer outstanding fragrances, so I was very curious about LVEB upon reading that it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, and I pushed myself to go to the shopping mall in order to test it.

Although citrus notes are not listed for LVEB, I smelt pure citrus upon initial application, and citrus is all I smelt for well over half an hour---perhaps it came from the orange blossom? I soon began to wonder where were the gourmand notes everyone mentions as I could not detect any, nor could I detect black currant, pear, or iris. Finally, after an about an hour, the base notes began to come through, and I was able to discern vanilla and other sweet notes, probably praline.

Projection and sillage were excellent. I could see that everyone around me noticed the fragrance on me, and I had only spritzed one good spray on the back of one hand! Longevity was outstanding to say the least. I could still smell LVEB quite strongly late in the evening before I bathed but after I had washed my hands a couple of times. LVEB has tremendous tenacity. I suspect it would last for days and days on clothing.

Unfortunately, I am unable to understand why LVEB is so very popular. I certainly do not think the huge point of sale photos of Julia Robertson is what makes LVEB sell well. Yes, it is sweet and gourmand, which is one type of fragrance that I enjoy, BUT it smelt very synthetic. In fact, it smelt so synthetic that it actually made me feel a bit embarrassed. The only other fragrance I have smelt that is as synthetic as LVEB is Jessica Simpson Fancy EdP, which I purchased blindly and then quickly got rid of it.

I cannot say I hate LVEB, but I also cannot say I truly like it, and I would not purchase it even at half the price. If it were gifted to me, I might keep it just for the pretty bottle, but I cannot imagine I would wear it very often--maybe only on exceptionally cold winter days and even then, I think other fragrances in my collection would be more tempting. If I wanted a delicious, praline fragrance, I would use my Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber every time over LVEB. Sensual Amber smells so much better, so much more complex and less linear than LVEB, and Sensual Amber does not smell so synthetic. As an added bonus, Sensual Amber is quite inexpensive, too.

Some people have compared LVEB to Angel, and I certainly understand why the two have been compared, but I own Angel in both the EdP and EdT formulations, as well as Angel body creme, and I think Angel is far, far superior to LVEB. Angel does not have the strong synthetic vibe to my nose, and it is more complex. I cannot say Angel smells "natural," but it certainly does not smell as strongly synthetic as LVEB.

Therefore, if you want a sweet, gourmand with prominent praline/chocolate, my best advice is to try Sensual Amber first, and then try Angel second if you want to spend more money. Frankly, if you want to keep costs down and still smell fabulous, I think you would be very satisfied with Sensual Amber which is so good that I cannot imagine ever not having it in my collection. As for LVEB, well, I am disappointed in the fragrance, but I have rated it two lippies due to its excellent projection, sillage, and longevity.

Fragrance: 3/10

Projection: 10/10

Sillage: 10/10

Longevity: 10/10

on 12/18/2014 4:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Beautiful fragrance not over bearing or if you have allergy issues. Long lasting beautiful bottle. My hubby noticed and liked it so for Christmas he bought me the 1.7 oz I was hoping for the gift set but was sold out.
Gourmand scent but all the notes blend beautifully so it doesn't smell like food.
Can't go wrong with this one

I absolutely LOVE this perfume. On me, I don't get any flowery notes at all. I get a sweet black currant syrup at the opening, which settles into a heart of a berry-vanilla-patchouli blend, and a dry down of a vanilla patchouli. It is somewhat similar to flowerbomb, but it is by no means a dupe. I like flowerbomb, but I LOVE La Vie Est Belle. It lasts all day and night on me, granted it fades in intensity but I'm still getting whiffs of it the next morning when I wake up.

on 11/30/2014 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this perfume and I am a perfume freak. It is the only sent the people follow me around in stores and ask what I am wearing.

on 5/13/2014 1:03:00 PM

This is the third scent i've reviewed in the little contest i have with myself to find the sweetest scent possible. La Vie Est Belle has been my absolute favorite to wear. Also, it's the tattoo Casey Anthony had....Belle Vita...The Beautiful Life. It's such a simple, sweet little scent that has been done before but it is so beautiful and naive. It doesnt smell like cotton candy or a cup cake or anything like that but it is sweet. The praline, vanilla, tonka bean and patchouli. The little flowers like orange blossom and jasmine spring to life and add a wonderful little floralcy to the mix to. The bottle and box elegant and do the fragrance justice too. Also, towards the end of the day yesterday i noticed a peach-like scent. I checked the notes and peach was not a listed note but i think it might have been the pear or black currant i was smelling. La Vie Est Belle is not a childish little fragrance like Pink Sugar or Fantasy. It's just a beautiful fragrance is all. I just finished my bottle and i will be sad i wont be able to wear La Vie Est Belle until i can get another bottle which i most definitely will be doing. I have tons of fragrances that i like to wear and i dont consider any of them a "signature" scent but this is the closest that would come to a signature scent for me. Definitely not the sweetest of the three but i've still got Fantasy to go. LOL

on 1/16/2014 8:04:00 AM

I love this perfume! It's sweet but not heavy and so pleasant. The reason why I gave one star off is because it was advertised as something amazing and new and to tell you the truth while I enjoy this it feels so familiar, probably this is why I like it because it's comforting. But it's definitely nothing new and for the price tag I must admit it will not give that expensive feel you'd want. I would not buy it again because for what it actually is I can always find another new sweet perfume that sounds familiar and I love it, maybe even more special than this one...

on 12/9/2013 8:37:00 PM

I like this perfume a lot but it is very SWEET. It smells almost like candy. My mom said I smelled like a lollipop. It's a nice scent but I prefer something a little less sweet and more musky.

I received this perfume as a gift, and while I do like the scent and it lasts all day, I really don't like the bottle design.

Popular Fragrances