Lancôme La Vie Est Belle

Filtered by age: 36-43
Lancôme La Vie Est Belle

3.4

on 8/11/2012 12:43:00 PM

A fruity-praline-patchouli scent that'd smell great on someone else. I tested this on a card in store, not on skin. The review will be updated if it smells very different on skin. But I want to pop this on MUA, in case anyone is curious about it. :) Warning: I use the words 'sweet', 'sweetness' and 'sugar' A LOT in this review.
The sweetness suffocates when first sprayed (instant diabetes), the dry down's better, definitely powdery, if still extremely sweet. It reminds me of Pleasures Delight at the start, but the Lauder is more marshmallow and Lveb is spun sugar or praline-vanilla -- maybe there's a bit of cocoa in there too, but there's so much general sweetness, I can't really tell. I prefer Lancome's Lveb because it's a little less sugary -- (and that speaks volumes about the Lauder). Perhaps there's better differentiation between notes (marginal) because Lveb isn't quite the jumbled sweet-mess that PD becomes on me.
Lveb's patchouli note isn't too loud, which is a minus, because I prefer less praline / vanilla and more patchouli. I get the pear / blackcurrant listed in notes, but the level of sugar in this one really smothers the fruit, and the listed iris is cancelled. I don't get much -- if any -- iris. It smells a little dry, which might be an attempt at iris. If you're good at figuring out gourmand iris scents (I'm not) maybe you'll have better luck. If I look harder than I want to: there's a hint of something like bergamot and orange blossom, no obvious jasmine. But I don't want to focus on a scent like it's a magic-eye picture in order to see past a prominent feature -- in this case vanilla-praline-sugar.
If you liked fruity-patchoulis and want something similar or more youth-oriented, that tweaks and 'updates' the theme -- try Lveb. I prefer the original Badgley Mischka. I've worn Angel, Coco-M and a heap of others in this vein (let's go ahead and add Flowerbomb, even though its patchouli is supposedly light and 'purified').
While the Lancome is nice, it's not all that new. It is softer on the patch than the others, and certainly less heavy on the fruit than BM. But it keeps hitting me with the all-consuming sweet mid-notes. I need something in the base for balance, and the Lancome doesn't deliver. That's probably the update: the lack of heavy patchouli/solid bases which was a feature of the big fruichoulis.
The development on the card is actually pretty good. This could've worked if the sugary notes weren't so girly-but-ferocious. That said -- it isn't loud, exactly -- not in the way Poison, Giorgio or Angel are loud. (I love those perfumes). To me it Lveb is a super-feminine (and a bit more posh) gourmand with a steady, unrelenting, wave of sugar -- and despite its insistent nature, it's a notch above average department store gourmands flooding the market.

It's really not me - hence the low rating. It smells a little young, with no interesting twists. The bottle's okay and I like that the spokeswoman (Julia Roberts) is a grown-up. I just remembered a scent that successfully reworks the heavy fruichouli idea and has a praline-like note in the middle: Angel Innocent. The Mugler is more to my taste because the top has some freshness which cancels out any 'candy-floss' effect -- and it's a little different -- it surprises me. I *think* Ropion worked on both Innocent (with Bruyere) and Lveb (with Flipo and O. Polge). If memory serves -- Oriens by VC&A is another one with praline, if you want mainstream scents with that note. Gourmands I like with obvious fruit notes: Hanae Mori extrait, BM, Delices, Pozo's In Black and Hot Couture. I still think Hypnose by Lancome is one of the brand's better, contemporary releases. Patchouli favourites: I have about a hundred, so I'll stop now!

on 8/16/2012 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I like this. I don't know why but lately I have been really into the sweeter, vanilla sugar scents. I've never liked them before! But for the past year or so, I am drawn to them, particularly Lancome scents - Hypnose, Tresor Midnight Rose, and now La Vie Est Belle.
I smell mainly vanilla and some chocolate in this - I guess I do get some powdery iris. I can't really smell any patchouli, which is a good thing since its not my favorite. I am really going to love this in the fall - it just smells so warm on me. I don't think it smells too young, although my daughter does love it and is "sharing" my bottle! Midnight Rose smells younger, with its fruity, raspberry notes. This just smells GOOD. And it does make me happy - like life IS beautiful! It lasts a long time (all day) on me, but stays pretty unobtrusive - its not something you can smell across the room. I like the bottle too - its pretty without being too frou-frou. Overall, yeah, I would buy this again unless I get sick of these scents and move on to something else :)

I smelled this on a sample card at the perfume counter this afternoon and thought it was soft and pretty, so I sprayed a bit on my wrist to see how it blends with my skin. Oy. There's something strong and almost sour that's giving me a headache and making my nose and TEETH hurt. I'm giving it 2 lippies because it's been over four hours and it's still going strong. Nothing will wash this off. For those of you who can wear this, I can see how it would be a pretty scent. I, unfortunately, am not one of them.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this fragrance! Normally I am not a big fan of Lancome fragrances, but they hit the mark on this one! Saw the whole "spiel" on HSN not long ago about it and they described it as a gourmand + fruity smell and it really is very YUMMY!

I agree with others that it's got a "sugary" scent, but it's not sickeningly sweet and it definitely is a more sophisticated fragrance than Pink Sugar, which I loved for a while and even bought more and realized I didn't love it anymore!

I bought La Vie Est Belle at Ulta. The 1 oz was $55 and the packaging is adorable with a little gray ribbon around the neck of the bottle and the pretty pink-ish color of the juice. On HSN, the Lancome rep said that the bottle design was created back in the 1949 and has been re-designed from the classic Lancome fragrances. I found that intriguing as well.

As for whether or not it's similar to Flowerbomb...I guess I can *see* that, but it's not so similar that I feel like I have duplicate fragrances. This is more "sugary" than Flowerbomb and Flowerbomb seems to have more vanilla in it than La Vie Est Belle.

Overall, I love this fragrance and I can imagine running out quite quickly and will re-purchase the largest size when I do.

on 11/2/2012 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I was quite disappointed in this, not because it's a bad fragrance, but because it was so similar to Flowerbomb on me. The opening notes were like Coco Mademoiselle for a while, then almost identical to Flowerbomb through to the dry down. Do try it on yourself, as scents often smell different on different people. It has good sillage and good lasting power. There is no way I'd buy this personally, as I already own Flowerbomb and it's pretty much a dupe on me.

on 11/6/2012 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Fragrance preferences are very personal... To me, this has a strong kick of patchouli - the same one that Coco Mademoiselle has - which gives me an instant gag reaction and sometimes triggers a migraine. Boo.

on 12/27/2012 11:43:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Lovely perfume. I had someone at Ulta spray some on me and I walked around for 15 min with my nose in my wrist. I was addicted. I just not sure about staying power. That's always my winning formula if it stays and it smells great.

on 1/22/2013 6:56:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love this fragrance and so does my husband. It is not too strong and it last all day long and even lingers the next day on my coat or jacket.

Top Note: The elegance of Iris becomes the backbone of the fragrance. It blossoms from the first to the last note like never before.
Middle Note: The strength of Patchouli gives strength and depth.
Base Note: A sweet gourmand adds a burst of unexpected radiance.

on 2/2/2013 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

If you like Angel or Womanity by Thierry Mulger, this scent is in the same vein. The iris in this parfum is part of what makes it special. While it might seem too strong at first spritz, it settles nicely and lingers the right amount on your skin. Reasonably priced too, considering the richness of this scent. Lancome's presentation with the gorgeous, heavy glass bottle is stunning, and it makes the liquid inside seem to glow.

This fragrance contains: Patchouli, Orange Blossom, Gourmand, Jasmine, and Iris Palida. And in my opinion the marriage of these ingredients is absolutely phenomenal. Each component complements one another. It is strong, but not over-bearing. In fact, I think it is a bit intoxicating to the wearer and others.

Whenever I wear this fragrance, I feel sexy, pretty, and oh so feminine. It lingers a bit when I enter a room; but not in an obtrusive way. It simply envelopes your senses and that of others. This has become a Holy Grail fragrance for me because of the way it makes me feel. In every sense of the word--like a woman!

Popular Fragrances