Lancome La Vie Est Belle

Lancome La Vie Est Belle

3.7

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Wow really surprised this perfume doesn't have higher reviews! I never owned a "high end" perfume before this one (mostly just used Bath & Body Works sprays), in part because of how pricey they are, and also because I could never find a scent that really knocked me out.

Last year, my mom took me shopping for Christmas presents, and decided that she wanted to get me a fancy perfume, because her mother bought her her first perfume at my age. I was pretty skeptical, especially when the first five perfumes I tested were disgusting and made me nauseous.

After many failed attempts at trying the more popular brands (blown away that Channel No. 5 is so popular, it smells like public bathroom hand soap in my opinion). I told the sales associate that I was looking for something, "light and feminine, without being too flowery or fruity." She directed me to two perfumes that she thought best matched my description; one was okay, much too sharp of a scent, but the other one--Lancome La Vie Est Belle--was something out of a dream! Exactly what I had been looking for all these years!

I bought it immediately, and despite the price (which is expected when you're getting a quality perfume, one bottle has lasted me ages anyway) I am insanely happy with my purchase! I also think the packaging and supple, rosy color of the perfume is just lovely. It is a very potent perfume, so one generous spritz on the wrists, followed by a quick rub on either side of your neck is the perfect amount. Long lasting, without being overbearing. I always get compliments about how good I smell! Never going back to body sprays again.

on 6/30/2016 8:29:00 AM

I do not dislike it but it is nothing special, I can relate it to a few other fragrances.

To Read all 180 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/22/2016 9:06:00 AM

A sales rep sprayed this perfume onto my wrist and I was immediately repelled. It is a powerful odour of overripe fruit and heavily flavoured candy-floss. Two hours later the smell is just as powerful. Awful. I prefer a lighter, less penetrating perfume.

on 5/7/2016 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Incredibly beautiful sweet smell. It's the only high end perfume that I actually purchased (it smelt like fairyfloss). However after a few times of wearing it it started to give me a headache that, sadly, I ended up selling it. I work in retail and whenever a lady walks in wearing this, I am like "what is that you have on?" or "wow you smell nice" and they say "lancome" and I know exactly what she's wearing. It's unique, sweet and a crowd pleaser. A great perfume for women of all ages.

on 5/5/2016 8:22:00 PM

Perfume is so so subjective-- tastes not only vary wildly but body chemistry does too! This is such a strong N--O-- for me.

The top note for me is robitussin. I have no idea what they are supposed to be-- but on me it is strongly robitussin. Some weird medicinal, artificial candied, gross, syrupy....

I've tested this quite a few times -- and every time it's cough syrup. The last time I tried it I was home alone and just being too lazy to wash the smell off. I made it to the drydown.

Ugh. What a hot mess. Basically take the cloying sweetness from Armani si. Add that to the overbearing musky note in Valentino Donna. Then add that to the suffocating stuffy powdery note of Estee lauder modern muse le rouge-- and then put that in a blender with... Cough syrup.

Voila- la vie est belle! This literally smells like the flu. When you're 2 weeks into a virus and everything just smells off and tastes terrible and you are just a stuffy mess. La vie est sinus infection. Pass.

on 5/5/2016 7:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I like this scent and tested it when it first came out, i now use a roll on of this, cheaper and its pretty good
i like the scent, but it doesnt WOW me

This review is for the EdP.

Top Notes: Black Currant and Pear.

Heart Notes: Iris, Jasmine, and Orange Blossom.

Base Notes: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, and Praline.

I heard so much about this fragrance. According to my on-line research, it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, which I found truly surprising because after all, in Paris one can find every Guerlain, Chanel, and Dior that is still being made, and all three houses offer outstanding fragrances, so I was very curious about LVEB upon reading that it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, and I pushed myself to go to the shopping mall in order to test it.

Although citrus notes are not listed for LVEB, I smelt pure citrus upon initial application, and citrus is all I smelt for well over half an hour---perhaps it came from the orange blossom? I soon began to wonder where were the gourmand notes everyone mentions as I could not detect any, nor could I detect black currant, pear, or iris. Finally, after an about an hour, the base notes began to come through, and I was able to discern vanilla and other sweet notes, probably praline.

Projection and sillage were excellent. I could see that everyone around me noticed the fragrance on me, and I had only spritzed one good spray on the back of one hand! Longevity was outstanding to say the least. I could still smell LVEB quite strongly late in the evening before I bathed but after I had washed my hands a couple of times. LVEB has tremendous tenacity. I suspect it would last for days and days on clothing.

Unfortunately, I am unable to understand why LVEB is so very popular. I certainly do not think the huge point of sale photos of Julia Robertson is what makes LVEB sell well. Yes, it is sweet and gourmand, which is one type of fragrance that I enjoy, BUT it smelt very synthetic. In fact, it smelt so synthetic that it actually made me feel a bit embarrassed. The only other fragrance I have smelt that is as synthetic as LVEB is Jessica Simpson Fancy EdP, which I purchased blindly and then quickly got rid of it.

I cannot say I hate LVEB, but I also cannot say I truly like it, and I would not purchase it even at half the price. If it were gifted to me, I might keep it just for the pretty bottle, but I cannot imagine I would wear it very often--maybe only on exceptionally cold winter days and even then, I think other fragrances in my collection would be more tempting. If I wanted a delicious, praline fragrance, I would use my Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber every time over LVEB. Sensual Amber smells so much better, so much more complex and less linear than LVEB, and Sensual Amber does not smell so synthetic. As an added bonus, Sensual Amber is quite inexpensive, too.

Some people have compared LVEB to Angel, and I certainly understand why the two have been compared, but I own Angel in both the EdP and EdT formulations, as well as Angel body creme, and I think Angel is far, far superior to LVEB. Angel does not have the strong synthetic vibe to my nose, and it is more complex. I cannot say Angel smells "natural," but it certainly does not smell as strongly synthetic as LVEB.

Therefore, if you want a sweet, gourmand with prominent praline/chocolate, my best advice is to try Sensual Amber first, and then try Angel second if you want to spend more money. Frankly, if you want to keep costs down and still smell fabulous, I think you would be very satisfied with Sensual Amber which is so good that I cannot imagine ever not having it in my collection. As for LVEB, well, I am disappointed in the fragrance, but I have rated it two lippies due to its excellent projection, sillage, and longevity.

Fragrance: 3/10

Projection: 10/10

Sillage: 10/10

Longevity: 10/10

on 4/27/2016 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Little background behind me and this fragrance - around Christmas time 2 years ago me and my friend were shopping when we came across this perfume, we both absolutely loved it at first sniff. Every time we went into boots or other stores, we'd drench ourselves in this. We never bought it because we were about 16 and didn't want to rob ourselves of the very little money we did have. All of a sudden, a year later I smelt this scent everywhere I went - e v e r y w h e r e!!! I even ended up sitting next to a lady at the theatre who was wearing this. One thing I noticed when smelling it on other people is that the scent lingers in a bad way, like a stale way. When someone wearing this walks past me, I strongly dislike the smell. But when I'm wearing it, I love it. Take what you will from this haha - I still have a bottle purely because it reminds me of shopping at Christmas with my best friend but if it wasn't for the comforting memory attached to this fragrance, I wouldn't particularity like the smell.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I have well over two hundred fragrances in my collection and have used up or given away or sold off probably twice as many as that over the years. They range from the corniest celebrity frags to Jicky and Bond No.9's. I am NOT in the 'you should only wear perfume that is appropriate for your age' camp.
What does that mean??? It's scent, not short shorts. Do you tell children they have to stick to sugary food and leave the asparagus for when they're older? Do you take ice cream away from old ladies because 'everyone' knows that stuff's for kids? My God.
Now, I DO get that there might be times and places where a fragrance might not be welcome...hospitals, close offices, etc. I try not to wear any if I know I'm gonna see my mom 'cause she gets migraines. And so on. But being too old to wear a gourmand? No.
This scent is sweet, and on me it is mostly all sweet; the jasmine and iris never really show themselves...the closest to not-sweet is that I get a little patch-tobacco (tobacco in a good way).
It is not a bold, groundbreaking scent; it's office appropriate. Nothing wrong with that.
What I use this for is to layer with Shalimar when I want to wear Shalimar in places similar to what I described above. Shalimar is 'too much' sometimes for noses used to Marc Jacobs Daisy or Pink Sugar 24/7. (I have both those too, I'm just saying).
One spray of La Vie est Belle over one spray of Shalimar and people are stalking me through Ulta/Barnes & Noble/Nordstroms to finally ask what I have on when they can't figure it out. They actually complement each other wonderfully.
For this reason I would buy it again, because I love Shalimar and love people to start entertaining the idea that they could wear it. ( they'll graduate to loving it on its own if they give it that first chance). Try it.
If you like Jimmy Choo/Coco Mademoiselle/Flowerbomb you'd like this. If you DONT like those because they're a hair too sweet but you do like sweet, try this. It's very nice.

on 3/25/2016 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

My very first bottle is almost empty, but it has been with me for about 10 months and I still have some to go. Very powerful and elegant fragrance that has made some fall head over hills for me. and Yes Life is beautiful every day but especially when I'm wearing this perfume. No one knew it was a woman fragrance until I told them. But everyone men and women have complimented me on it. I will make sure I always have a bottle of it with me

Popular Fragrances