Lancome La Vie Est Belle

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
Lancome La Vie Est Belle

3.0

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE realize how horrible this fragrance smells to those around you. I'm not sure if there is "anosmia," or lack of smell to a certain chemical after exposure, but this perfume is so popular. As a registered nurse who sees 10 patients a day, I can tell you that when women come in with this one on, I almost have to put a mask on.

It is the overuse of an aromachemical that I am imagining Lancôme uses as a "blackcurrant" note; a bitter, somewhat herbal topnote that never goes away with this fragrance. To those around you, this note smells like insecticide. Since your nose is blind to this note, you spray on more, thinking you smell pretty and sweet. Please take my advice and make sure this perfume is discontinued quickly so that no one ever has to smell it again. I'm that serious.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

La Vie Est Belle is the latest perfume to make its debut by Lancome...
It has black currant,pear,jasmine,orange blossom,iris,patchouli,praline,vanilla,tonka bean...
Sweet perfume that smells like Pears,Flowers,Vanilla...Ladies that like sweet perfumes may enjoy it...

on 6/22/2016 9:06:00 AM

A sales rep sprayed this perfume onto my wrist and I was immediately repelled. It is a powerful odour of overripe fruit and heavily flavoured candy-floss. Two hours later the smell is just as powerful. Awful. I prefer a lighter, less penetrating perfume.

This review is for the EdP.

Top Notes: Black Currant and Pear.

Heart Notes: Iris, Jasmine, and Orange Blossom.

Base Notes: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, and Praline.

I heard so much about this fragrance. According to my on-line research, it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, which I found truly surprising because after all, in Paris one can find every Guerlain, Chanel, and Dior that is still being made, and all three houses offer outstanding fragrances, so I was very curious about LVEB upon reading that it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, and I pushed myself to go to the shopping mall in order to test it.

Although citrus notes are not listed for LVEB, I smelt pure citrus upon initial application, and citrus is all I smelt for well over half an hour---perhaps it came from the orange blossom? I soon began to wonder where were the gourmand notes everyone mentions as I could not detect any, nor could I detect black currant, pear, or iris. Finally, after an about an hour, the base notes began to come through, and I was able to discern vanilla and other sweet notes, probably praline.

Projection and sillage were excellent. I could see that everyone around me noticed the fragrance on me, and I had only spritzed one good spray on the back of one hand! Longevity was outstanding to say the least. I could still smell LVEB quite strongly late in the evening before I bathed but after I had washed my hands a couple of times. LVEB has tremendous tenacity. I suspect it would last for days and days on clothing.

Unfortunately, I am unable to understand why LVEB is so very popular. I certainly do not think the huge point of sale photos of Julia Robertson is what makes LVEB sell well. Yes, it is sweet and gourmand, which is one type of fragrance that I enjoy, BUT it smelt very synthetic. In fact, it smelt so synthetic that it actually made me feel a bit embarrassed. The only other fragrance I have smelt that is as synthetic as LVEB is Jessica Simpson Fancy EdP, which I purchased blindly and then quickly got rid of it.

I cannot say I hate LVEB, but I also cannot say I truly like it, and I would not purchase it even at half the price. If it were gifted to me, I might keep it just for the pretty bottle, but I cannot imagine I would wear it very often--maybe only on exceptionally cold winter days and even then, I think other fragrances in my collection would be more tempting. If I wanted a delicious, praline fragrance, I would use my Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber every time over LVEB. Sensual Amber smells so much better, so much more complex and less linear than LVEB, and Sensual Amber does not smell so synthetic. As an added bonus, Sensual Amber is quite inexpensive, too.

Some people have compared LVEB to Angel, and I certainly understand why the two have been compared, but I own Angel in both the EdP and EdT formulations, as well as Angel body creme, and I think Angel is far, far superior to LVEB. Angel does not have the strong synthetic vibe to my nose, and it is more complex. I cannot say Angel smells "natural," but it certainly does not smell as strongly synthetic as LVEB.

Therefore, if you want a sweet, gourmand with prominent praline/chocolate, my best advice is to try Sensual Amber first, and then try Angel second if you want to spend more money. Frankly, if you want to keep costs down and still smell fabulous, I think you would be very satisfied with Sensual Amber which is so good that I cannot imagine ever not having it in my collection. As for LVEB, well, I am disappointed in the fragrance, but I have rated it two lippies due to its excellent projection, sillage, and longevity.

Fragrance: 3/10

Projection: 10/10

Sillage: 10/10

Longevity: 10/10

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Checking out new fragrances for the first time in a long while, I only spritzed this one on myself (the others I sprayed on a testing strip). I thought it smelled nice but it was not my world-rocker, no.. Two days later, that damned fragrance was still as strong as ever on my hand! I had bathed 2x + washed my hands many times but nope! It wasn't going anywhere. Glad I had not been led astray and bought it, though if so, I'd have a life-long product lol. I am getting into some other Lancome scents that don't have such great lasting power but I prefer them.. the Tresor ones in particular.. anyway, give this a whirl but be careful to not apply much at all.. it's a monster!

on 12/10/2014 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I rarely read fragrance notes. I did smell this in a magazine, and intrigued, ordered a couple samples from eBay. I liked it after a two-three week trial. Mom bought this for me for Christmas, and gave it to me early. It's delightful, but I'm a child of the early 70s. I do get a hint of jasmine at the beginning, then maybe a sweetness, but that is probably the patchouli. Perhaps this reminds me of Love's Musky Jasmine Flower? Yeah, I wore that for years. It doesn't go powdery or "sweet and floral" on me. I couldn't disagree more that this smells like Madamoiselle. It is so EVERYWHERE that it's boring. I love this one. Will you? It's a hate or love relationship. I definitely do.

on 9/26/2014 5:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I love this scent for fall and winter. It is sweet and warm and very feminine. It lasts beautifully and I get compliments on it all the time. I don't feel there is anything old lady about it at all, but rather new and sophisticated. Surprised at the negatives on here. I'll be wearing this one for a long time!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Lancome La vie est belle is a very pretty, elegant smelling perfume for the younger set. I get the patchouli first, it's sweet and soft, not overpowering at all. It's a patchouli for beginners mixed with a candy-like flair. From beginning to end, La vie est belle is soft, never in your face, never too sweet. The pralines lay low and everything is mixed together so well that it almost becomes difficult to discern any notes or evoke any particular images. This is more of an elegant perfume to me, one to wear to dinner, to the theatre, but certainly not out shopping, camping, hanging out or to work. It seems more suited for genteel occasions, linen , silk and lighter fabrics. Not a heavyweight by any means, with the tonka beans exacerbating its vanilla presence, this Lancome addition is better suited for those who prefer quieter perfumes of patchouli leaves, a sweeter vanilla with a powdery overtone. It's not a heavyweight, not a ground-breaker, and not one to be noticed, either. It's similar to many on the market today rolling off the perfume presses. It's just another similar fragrance that others won't be able to put their finger on because it smells so familiar. The juice inside, being pink, probably appeals to a younger set, but don't let a color dissuade you from trying a perfume. Sits closer to the skin and lasts a number of hours. The bottle is pretty tho, very feminine to match the pink inside...pretty for a very quiet perfume if that's your preference.
Top Notes: Black Currant, Pear.
Middle Notes: Iris, Jasmine, Orange Blossom.
Base Notes: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Praline.

on 7/26/2013 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I finally got a lovely large sample of this fragrance and I will be buying the large bottle. I am not going to list the ingredients as I see others have done so already. I will just add here that I find this scent very lovely, soft, and lady like. It makes me feel wonderful when I wear it and I think others probably get a lift from it too. I don't find it too strong or over powering. At first spray it is powerful but that fades pretty quickly and stays closer to the body. It remains on my clothes for quite a few hours and stays fresh. It sort of reminds me of Miss Dior and Shalimar combined. Two of my favorite scents and now this one will be added to my list of favorites.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Nordstrom sent me a sample of this with some makeup I ordered. It is overbearing, cloying, way too sweet and headache inducing. Usually I give away sample vials I do not care for , but that I think my daughter or a friend might like. I actually put the vial of La Vie Est Belle in a ziplock so it would not stink up my garbage can. Yes, that is how godawful I thought this was.
I rated this a 3 on packaging and price because I have no idea what they are. I wish MUA would let us not rate those for fragrance, but I can never seem to post a review without having to do so.

Popular Fragrances