Lancôme La Vie Est Belle Eau de Parfum

Filtered by age: 44-55
Lancôme La Vie Est Belle Eau de Parfum

3.6

on 11/19/2018 2:26:00 PM

Several months ago I wrote a scathing review of LVEB, accusing it of being the ultimate in generic, formulaic "mall" scents. I mean, how many candied fruitchouli scents do we need, especially for >$100 a bottle?

I'm back with a different take on this perfume, because I've kept using my little bottle of LVEB... and it's really grown on me!

Ever since I smelled Angel on my beautiful neighbor, I tried and tried to make that fragrance work for me, but on my skin it has always smelled like sweaty armpits + stewed prunes. Coco Mademoiselle has many of the same notes as Angel, and it smells good on me, but I just find it trite and overly squeaky-clean. As it turns out, LVEB is "my" perfect Angel! It's clearly an Angel derivative, with the whole vanilla-caramel-praline-patchouli drydown and fruity topnotes, but it actually smells heavenly on me and gives me that sugar/patchouli contrast I so love about Angel.

Angel was a groundbreaker and is daring to this day-- and I'll always love it from afar. Some may argue LVEB, by contrast, is sanitized and annoyingly synthetic. I get that, but I cannot deny that it smells GREAT on me and makes me feel good all day. If I have to smell a bit generic and recognizable, so be it. Some things are popular for good reason.

BTW, the InStyle/Perfect Scents dupe of LVEB sold at Walgreens and CVS is really quite close to the original. It wears more lightly, which some may even prefer. I wear the "imposter" version to work and the real thing at bedtime and on dates :)

La vie est belle smells fantastic at first. The top notes are sweet and fresh. However, the "dry down" didn't work with my body chemistry. After about a half hour, it settled into a very over the top, powdery smell. Unfortunately, it was far too strong and very dated for my taste. I tried so hard to love this scent, because I read so many fabulous reviews. My husband usually loves all my perfumes. However, this is the first one he didn't care for. The one positive thing I will say...is that the bottle with the little bow, sure is pretty!

on 3/28/2018 12:22:00 AM

Everyone's chemistry is different, but for me this scent is intoxicating. I do enjoy and own unique scents such as Mugler Aura, and understand that the notes are not unique, but the lasting power and the non overpowering nature of the Tonka bean lingering for over a day makes this scent perfect for those who dislike smelling flowery or perfume(y).

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I like this but after it dries down it smells like old wine and cigarettes on me. I can only describe the fragrance as heavy and sweet.

on 1/20/2018 3:13:00 AM

I’m shocked that a petition hasn’t been started yet to try to get this chemical filled bottle of “scent” off the market.

Contrary to a couple other reviews, I’m not sensitive to patchouli(in fact, patchouli essential oils are all over my house and car), and this perfume ABSOLUTELY makes me sick. And not in the figurative sense...in the literal sense.
It’s not just the scent. It’s also the other additives Lancôme is using. There is something in the perfume that gets into your lungs and throat and makes it very hard to breathe, all the while giving you a MASSIVE headache.
I did not have a terrible scent sensitivity issue until this perfume came into existence. And now most perfumes and colognes bother me to a degree...but nothing is as bad as this one.
Please do not buy this perfume. I’m not the only one who cannot tolerate it. And you absolutely cannot use it lightly. It’s too strong. Period.
And remember, 100% of what you put on your skin, goes into your bloodstream. If just the vapor alone can cause the reaction in me that it does, then what’s it doing to you internally?

on 4/13/2017 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I usually stick to reviews for make-up/haircare/skin care products, but this perfume deserves some praise. I'm normally a body spray/smelly lotion type of girl, and not one to wear a really strong scent...This smells amazing, it's sweet and has a vanilla tone, and reminds me of cotton candy..I received a sample, and immediately purchased a full size bottle, that's how much I love it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Love it! Beautiful, feminine and long lasting

on 12/14/2016 10:07:00 AM

Oh well it's a bummer, I ordered this perfume thinking it was gunna be magical but it turns out a total letdown, after reading all the reviews about it, how some ladies said it has longevity and staying power, it's also supposed to have patchouli? No I don't get that either.. it smells like a strange mixture of candy and something else, maybe vanilla? And not to mention the casing around the sprayer broke and came off only after 2 days, very cheaply made, Oh and about an hour after I put it on poof it disappears! That's the only magic thing about it! I knew I should've got Poeme which I adore, sorry Lancôme you really bombed on this one, next time I'll go with my instinct and get Poeme... 🙄 Update: I’ve come to actually like this perfume, turns out the first bottle I bought was a fake! I returned to the seller on eBay and got my money back! My husband bought me a real one from Ulta for Christmas this year, although it’s a strange one, depending on the weather and yes this is a winter perfume, however if I wear this perfume on a day when it’s a more dry climate then it doesn’t really project all that much and I put ALOT on and still I can barely detect it, it’s like there’s nothing, well I tried it on a more humid day after a rainy spell and WHOA, my husband started complaining about the strong perfume I was wearing! He said he could smell it everywhere, including outside! So I was like ok so this perfume seems to have a reaction to humidity, it’s just weird, I have never had a perfume do this before, I always heard that this stuff was strong and I guess it’s true to my satisfaction! I hate fragrances that are expensive and don’t last but a couple of hours! So I will say that this juice is some potent stuff!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is very average, all-around, for me.

Scent-wise, I find this to be feminine without being 'too girly,' which I appreciate. Soft, not overpowering. All in all a pretty 'safe' fragrance, meaning, this is more of a crowd-pleasing scent. Safe for year-round and good for day or night. Safe for church or a night on the town, so it is very versatile in that regard.

I think this would be fine for school or the office; it does not seem too strong. But of course as with any fragrance, subject to personal opinion and individuals. This does last all day on me and beyond, so kudos for that, and I really pick up the sweetness of this on the dry-down for me.

The bottle, it is pretty I guess, but really..?---A simple little silver/grey ribbon tied to the top..? Okay. I am one to appreciate simple and I love classic and clean lines and all, but I just think they kind of dropped the ball with this on the bottle design. The bottle design is pretty but..kind of plain, and I just think this fragrance deserves a prettier bottle. JMO. It is a pretty bottle, feminine ribbon, but I just think the design of this is very plain. IDK. I like plain but this to me, the design of the bottle is way understated..I guess..?

Anyway, to me this is a lovely soft floral with a sweetness in the background. I've read the notes "sweet, vanilla, fruity, powdery, patchouli" and to me, this is a lovely soft floral with a hint of sweetness. A grownup woman's scent, not grandma scent, but a mature woman.

I get no fruity note nor do I pick up any patchouli and really no vanilla ime. I get no powdery note either. Strange. All in all, for me, this is a very average floral/sweet fragrance, good lasting power, but all in all everything about this is pretty average for me, nothing about this stands out or makes me feel like this is anything unique or special. A decent fragrance, but in a sea of perfumes, this kind of gets lost in the shuffle for me as just an average sweet/floral fragrance. Nothing extraordinary, but still quite nice. A 'safe' perfume, if you will, for crowds (provided noone has allergies or asthma, etc.) or school or the office. I think this is a good year-round fragrance, good for day or night, so it is pretty versatile, if very 'average' in my opinion. But for me, I do not want to smell like an average girl at the mall. This is nice, just nothing 'special'.

on 5/5/2016 7:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I like this scent and tested it when it first came out, i now use a roll on of this, cheaper and its pretty good
i like the scent, but it doesnt WOW me