Lancôme La Vie Est Belle

Lancôme La Vie Est Belle

3.1

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The pear is the strongest fruit note on me - well, I say strongest, but it is still pretty soft and doesn't leave me with a lasting impression. There is soft vanilla present through all of the fragrance too, with adds a creamy sweetness and warmth to the fragrance. The patchouli is also quick to develop, so whilst everything is sweet, it's not cloyingly so.

The floral notes used are powdery and just provide a background for the iris. It's quite startling how, after around two hours, the fragrance suddenly changes from a soft gourmand to present the wearer with a rich iris note. I don't have much experience with iris in perfumes, so LA VIE EST BELLE is unique enough to me to justify the splurge. After another few hours the fragrance turns slightly nutty and even creamier as the rest of the base notes develop. Whilst the iris note dies down, the combined powderiness of the floral notes remain and softly fade away with the base notes after around nine hours on my skin.

Official scent notes: Iris, orange blossoms, jasmine, black currant, pear, tonka bean, praline, patchouli and vanilla.

I wouldn't wear LA VIE EST BELLE in warm/bright weather as the excellent longevity [9+ hours], and the sensation of warmth that is created by the creamy sweetness in the scent notes can be too much for migraine-prone me; I've made the mistake of wearing it on sunny days, and have been left with banging migraines as a result. I'd say this is definitely a fragrance for autumn/winter - in fact I like to wear this perfume to bed then.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I actually didn't buy this, and never will. How this review came to be, is an unfortunate situation. I did some looking up on the fragrance and was shocked to see the price, packaging and it's popularity. Maybe this review will help anyone who considers purchasing.

I was getting comfortable in a movie theater, eagerly anticipating the Avengers Infinity War show about to start. A beautiful (well groomed) young lady had purchased the seat next to me. She sat down and got comfortable also. Immediately I was nauseous. The smell coming off of her was so sickeningly sweet and overwhelming, that I could barely stand it. It burned my eyes and my lungs (I smoke a pack a day, that had to be some serious stuff) and my head started to hurt pretty bad. As I said, I smoke and smells usually don't bother me.

I politely leaned over and asked her, what perfume are you wearing, it's fabulous! Really, I was talking mental notes to avoid and never expose myself to this hell again. She excitedly told me, La Ve Est Belle! It's Lancome! Sexiest fragrance out right now! I love it too, doesn't take much, so go light handed!

I suffered through the movie and made it out of there as fast as I could. Online, the fragrance profile actually looked like something I would like. I've always second thought buying it though. My intuition never fails me. $98 a bottle? A clear glass bottle, half full, wearing a glittery scarf, that smells like Jessica Simpson's Fancy and Brittney Spears Curious had an ugly love child that was radio active.

It's bad. Stay away from it. Consider the people who have to smell you!

on 2/13/2018 3:01:00 PM

I think this is a very polarizing edp because of its popularity. In my opinion it is really good, a bright, intense, warm, flowery and of course sweet fragrance. I waited till 2018 to buy it because in the run someone close to me had it and I was letting that person had her "la vie est belle" moment; but now its my turn...no apologies. Love LVEB!!

on 1/31/2018 7:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I have a friend of mine that uses this. It's not as tooth achingly sweet as Pink sugar or my nemesis Flowerbomb but it's close. This smells syrupy, thick and sugary. There are some flowers that lanage to burst through the dense thick sweet sugar. However to my nose this smells like a thick syrup. I don't like really sweet perfumes & this one isn't for me but it smells nice when sprayed with a light hand.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My first experience with this fragrance was on an elevator. I had no idea what perfume it was then, but I had to get off that elevator and take the stairs! The woman who had doused herself in this fragrance got on and sugar bombed the place, I couldn't breathe. I generally don't mind sugary/gourmand scents, but this one I can't stand. I finally discovered the name of this scent when I had lunch with my brother and his GF. Of course she was wearing this and a lot of it. Couldn't even smell the food on the table, just candy floss and burnt sugar. This is a vile brew, and as luck would have it I work with 3 women who wear it. I can't escape it, but I long for the day when it gets discontinued!

on 12/10/2017 1:45:00 PM

HIGH ALLERGEN/ASTHMA WARNING

This perfume actually gave me chemical pneumonia. It is horrid. It fills the room and does not disperse for hours. I can walk into a room and immediately know if someone has it on. Instant allergic reaction complete with puffy face, clogged sinuses, irritated throat, and fluid in lungs. I hope they stop making it.

on 10/23/2017 6:58:00 AM

I’ve tried this several times since I keep getting samples. If you’re sensitive to patchouli you won’t like this. I don’t think this is as universally appealing because of that patchouli.

It does last and packaging is nice.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

While trying the sample I thought it smelled sweet, a little bit too sweet but then I thought that strong sweet scent is youthful and suits winter time well...boy was I wrong!!!!
I'm not a fragrance expert so I'm not sure which ingredient is responsible, apparently it's patchouli but after an hour in my work place I noticed that I'm starting to smell like those heavy smokers who smoke a full pack in their car with windows all up! The sweet smell was totally vaporized and all that had remained was this terrible cigarette stink. Worse is that it lasted all the day long and had I not washed my clothes the same day I'm sure they'd keep stinking like that.
When I read others' reviews I found out that there's many people with this problem advising to avoid going under sunlight, warm places or crowds wearing this but considering it's a winter perfume and unless you decide to stay outdoor all day alone, you can't wear it at all. Because there's always some sort of heating system indoor or there's party with lots of people etc...
This was one expensive purchase I seriously regret. Wouldn't buy this or anything with patchouli ever again.

on 8/29/2017 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

If you love this scent or sweet patchouli based fragrances, this is a great purchase. It lasts FOREVER and it's super strong. Even when I just put a little drop on my wrist and neck, I could smell this all around me, all day. I'm assuming others could as well, so that's something to consider. This could be easily overdone, so I would build up depending on your taste and avoid spraying on clothes.

For me personally, this made it quite cloying and I got tired of it. It has a super sweet, synthetic smell. I was hoping the patchouli would make it more natural, but this is definitely a perfume vs. a skin scent. Also - A LOT of people wear this as their signature scent.

I see this as a party, wedding or bedtime fragrance vs. an everyday office scent where you might offend some coworkers if you overdo it. Overall, a beautiful, high quality scent, but try to take it for a test drive to see how it wears on you!

on 3/30/2017 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is one of my all time favorites.
The perfume lasts for more than 12 hrs, it smells like a sweet thing (cotton-candy-like) and the smell is pretty obvious.
This is not a discreet perfume, it is the kind of smell one senses when passes near the person who wears it, it is the turning heads perfume.
I love it and I bought it more than once.
I recommend it to women who love persistent essences.

Popular Fragrances