Chanel Coco Noir

3.9

on 9/8/2017 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I love this captivating, seductive fragrance. In the beginning of wear its creaminess reminds me of Coco Mlle, but the drydown is a subtle call to the Wonder Woman of Perfumes, Coco. I LOVE Coco, but I don't wear her it often because it tends to wear me. Coco Noir, however, makes me enjoy my own presence wherever I am. Coco Noir has all my favorite Chanel moods and accords, but it personalizes to my skin more than Coco or even Coco Mlle. For example, I think Coco Mlle is one of the most beautiful perfumes ever created; but there's no mistaking it, no matter who wears it. Since one of my closest friends wear Coco Mlle every single day, and has worn it for years, I hardly get the chance to wear it anymore! Plus, it doesn't smell like "me" because it's so popular. I had the unfortunate experience of having a student in a class who wore far, far too much Coco Mlle and it was clear when students came in the room that no one wanted to sit next to her. Frankly, she gave me a headache, and I adore Coco Mlle! Strangely, I wear La Vie Est Belle quite often, along with millions of others, yet I get compliments on how beautiful I smell. Coco Noir's vanilla-patchouli, like La Vie Est Belle's, doesn't seem to blend into the "white noise" of fragrances as much as Coco Mlle, despite their shared overwhelming popularity. Coco Noir smells incredibly beautiful, but it's mysterious, and only those who know what it is can positively identify it on a wearer. I am head-over-heels for the bottle, too.

on 8/23/2017 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

My absolute, favorite perfume. Fresh, elegant and clean.I always get compliments when I wear it.

on 2/2/2017 2:28:00 PM

Got this as a Christmas gift from my husband. I initially smelled it in Blue Mercury, and it intrigued me after I spritzed it. It's notes of vanilla and bergamont, which I like, signal comfort, coziness, and cooler weather to me. Interestingly, it also has patchouli, a note of which I am not a fan.

This scent smells like a cross between Chanel Chance (original formulation) and Coco Mademoiselle. However, it's not as "fratchouli" as the latter. Wear time on me is 3-4 hours; sillage is middling. If I am out on the town, I'll pair it with the body cream for longer wear.

I think the name is a misnomer as "Noir" signals danger and a sense of being sultry like "Danger" from Roja Dove or the original YSL Opium scent. This is more of a "Jour" scent as there's a sense of lightness to it. It's more of a scent that the "good" Bond girl would wear than the "bad" one.

This is like Coco Mademoiselle's moodier *slightly* deeper older sister. For that reason, it should've been named Coco Mademoiselle Noir because it doesn't really resemble the original Coco Chanel.
Coco Chanel is a masterpiece classic but I find it a little too much for my tastes and age. It is an undoubtedly beautiful fragrance but I'm not quite ready for it if you know what I mean. *Sigh* ... maybe in 5-10 years.
Coco Mademoiselle is also lovely but has unfortunately morphed into a bimbo fragrance. It no longer represents a bold and spirited young woman but a basically a cheap wanna-be who thinks she is classy because she wears a Chanel perfume. And above all I just smell it too much on people so it was immediately disqualified from my selection.
But when I smelled Coco Noir..... YES.
The first noticeable difference is that Coco Noir doesn't have the obnoxious projection of Mademoiselle. Mademoiselle wants everyone to notice her but Noir has a more quiet stirring magnetism. Mademoiselle is rather linear whereas Noir is balanced and becomes an alluring skin scent as the day goes on. Mademoiselle enters the room before you do but Noir leaves a "come hither" trail after you. At first I purchased the 1.7oz bottle but became so addicted to Coco Noir after one day that I went back for the 3.4oz.

Finally a Chanel fragrance I will make my own 🖤

EDIT: I actually returned this and exchanged it for Coco Mademoiselle because of the issue of longevity. For some reason Coco Noir has one of the poorest lasting power out of the entire Chanel fragrance collection and I don't understand why especially for being the most expensive. Much happier with Coco Mademoiselle and it smells a lot prettier than I remember.

Love this fragrance! Dark and sexy blend that is not overpowering. Get annoyed with the bottle because you can't tell when your running out.

on 11/4/2016 7:24:00 PM

I first bought it in 2013. Just wonderful! Effortlessly elegant, from every aspect. Excellently blended, worth its exorbitant price. Noir? No. I didn‘ t find it mysterious at all, it seemed very bright to me. I wanted to buy it again this year, but having read about the massive 2015 reformulations in Chanel I tested it again. I am glad I did. What a disappointment! It is now a watered down, artlessly musky, unisex concoction and has lost all its precious, previous feminity. Such a pity!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have honestly never been a fan of Chanel fragrances. From No 5 to Coco Mademoiselle to Chance I have always found them to be too heavy, overpowering and cloggy, but this...this is something different.

Coco Noir smells extremely classy, rich, elegant, sophisticated and mature. This is not a scent for very young women, it opens quite strong so you need to wait for it to dry down a bit but I fell in love from the first spray anyway.

It's my evening perfume for special occasions.

This is a beautiful fragrance that warms nicely on the skin. Starts off smelling similar to coco madamoiselle which I also love then dries down to a lovely mix of coco m and allure (that's how it smells to me). Don't let the noir part fool you, it's suitable to be worn day and night and for any occasion. A definite compliment getter and a staple in my collection

Top Notes: Grapefruit, Bergamot.

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Rose, Narcissus, Geranium.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk, Oilbanum,

This review is for the EDP original version. A lot of reviewers say Noir reminds them of Chanel Mademoiselle. Mademoiselle has very sharp citrus top notes. Coco Noir's citrus top notes are not so sharp. They smell very refreshing by comparison. Noir reminds me more of Miss Dior EDP (current formula). Both have a very strong, very dominant and persistent patchouli note. To my nose, the patchouli almost completely over powers the other notes and persists into the deep dry down. I do not pick up the base notes very well in this, which is a shame because they are the most appealing notes.

Some reviewers say they can detect legendary Chanel Coco in Noir, but I do not detect Coco at all. Perhaps a little bit of Mademoiselle, but definitely not Coco. If I had to guess, I would say that Noir was created to compete with Miss Dior current formula or vice, or Miss Dior was created to compete with Noir. Either way, I do not find Noir to be dark at all despite its name and black bottle. I would not think it an Oriental because I do not discern the base notes much if at all. I like Noir well enough, but I could not wear it often due to the heavy but clean patchouli note.

Longevity is weak to moderate, but I find this to be true of all current Chanels, even the Les Exclusifs, and given Chanel's price point, I find this a fatal flaw. Projection and sillage are moderate initially but quickly taper off, and this is true of all other current Chanels as well. Overall it is not a bad fragrance, but it is more of a "cologne" than a "perfume" if that makes sense. If I did not know it was a Chanel, I probably never would have guessed it. At this price point, there are better designer fragrances one could purchase. Indeed, the original Coco is a masterpiece, and I would recommend it over Noir any day. Sorry, Chanel.

Fragrance: 6.5/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 5/10

on 4/22/2016 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have some perfumes, one for every day mood or season, but....I think this one is my signature scent. A girl told me I was wearing an aftershave perfume. I bet she was just envy and ignorant about perfumes, wearing some drugstore, cheap perfumes and judging my Chanel. This perfume is class in a bottle. It opens citrusy, maybe a little too strong for some noses, but if you wait for 10 minutes it turns into a mysterious and feminine fragrance that will make you fall in love with...citrusy notes leave a little (a lovely bergamot, that comes from Calabria, like me!!) to say welcome to a sweet bouquet of roses, narcissus and jasmine that stays on of me for a long time. But my favourite "season" of this scent comes after all of that...base notes of this scent are so relaxing....balsamic and a little soapy...patchouli, vanilla and some others...on me it has a pretty long longevity and a moderate/heavy sillage (it depends on how much you spray on) The bottle design is just wow. The most beautiful one I ever seen. Classy and evergreen. Price is the only sad thing about this lovely creature...
Let me leave you all an advice: don't test it on a shop...ask for a little sample of this and smell it at home with no other perfumes in the air, ready to make you stoned and confused.

Popular Fragrances