Chanel Coco Noir

Chanel Coco Noir

3.9

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have honestly never been a fan of Chanel fragrances. From No 5 to Coco Mademoiselle to Chance I have always found them to be too heavy, overpowering and cloggy, but this...this is something different.

Coco Noir smells extremely classy, rich, elegant, sophisticated and mature. This is not a scent for very young women, it opens quite strong so you need to wait for it to dry down a bit but I fell in love from the first spray anyway.

It's my evening perfume for special occasions.

This is a beautiful fragrance that warms nicely on the skin. Starts off smelling similar to coco madamoiselle which I also love then dries down to a lovely mix of coco m and allure (that's how it smells to me). Don't let the noir part fool you, it's suitable to be worn day and night and for any occasion. A definite compliment getter and a staple in my collection

To Read all 68 Reviews, Login or Join

Top Notes: Grapefruit, Bergamot.

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Rose, Narcissus, Geranium.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk, Oilbanum,

This review is for the EDP original version. A lot of reviewers say Noir reminds them of Chanel Mademoiselle. Mademoiselle has very sharp citrus top notes. Coco Noir's citrus top notes are not so sharp. They smell very refreshing by comparison. Noir reminds me more of Miss Dior EDP (current formula). Both have a very strong, very dominant and persistent patchouli note. To my nose, the patchouli almost completely over powers the other notes and persists into the deep dry down. I do not pick up the base notes very well in this, which is a shame because they are the most appealing notes.

Some reviewers say they can detect legendary Chanel Coco in Noir, but I do not detect Coco at all. Perhaps a little bit of Mademoiselle, but definitely not Coco. If I had to guess, I would say that Noir was created to compete with Miss Dior current formula or vice, or Miss Dior was created to compete with Noir. Either way, I do not find Noir to be dark at all despite its name and black bottle. I would not think it an Oriental because I do not discern the base notes much if at all. I like Noir well enough, but I could not wear it often due to the heavy but clean patchouli note.

Longevity is weak to moderate, but I find this to be true of all current Chanels, even the Les Exclusifs, and given Chanel's price point, I find this a fatal flaw. Projection and sillage are moderate initially but quickly taper off, and this is true of all other current Chanels as well. Overall it is not a bad fragrance, but it is more of a "cologne" than a "perfume" if that makes sense. If I did not know it was a Chanel, I probably never would have guessed it. At this price point, there are better designer fragrances one could purchase. Indeed, the original Coco is a masterpiece, and I would recommend it over Noir any day. Sorry, Chanel.

Fragrance: 6.5/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 5/10

on 4/22/2016 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have some perfumes, one for every day mood or season, but....I think this one is my signature scent. A girl told me I was wearing an aftershave perfume. I bet she was just envy and ignorant about perfumes, wearing some drugstore, cheap perfumes and judging my Chanel. This perfume is class in a bottle. It opens citrusy, maybe a little too strong for some noses, but if you wait for 10 minutes it turns into a mysterious and feminine fragrance that will make you fall in love with...citrusy notes leave a little (a lovely bergamot, that comes from Calabria, like me!!) to say welcome to a sweet bouquet of roses, narcissus and jasmine that stays on of me for a long time. But my favourite "season" of this scent comes after all of that...base notes of this scent are so relaxing....balsamic and a little soapy...patchouli, vanilla and some others...on me it has a pretty long longevity and a moderate/heavy sillage (it depends on how much you spray on) The bottle design is just wow. The most beautiful one I ever seen. Classy and evergreen. Price is the only sad thing about this lovely creature...
Let me leave you all an advice: don't test it on a shop...ask for a little sample of this and smell it at home with no other perfumes in the air, ready to make you stoned and confused.

on 4/2/2016 7:16:00 AM

I received my bottle today. I do not understand why this been criticised put down the ground been buried from the mass. People compare it to a mixed coco modemoiselle with allure chanel and i heard they put the bad notes of this two together to make up coco noir....in what kind of world we do live lol?? This is an absolute different kind of fragrance. I have the three of them and i do prefer this to all. It has a special kik to it, it definitely is not for everyone. A brave class woman would wear it, not all of us.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

House of Chanel is my absolute fave even after a slight disaster w Les Exs Beige EDT (ended up returning coz lasted all of 5 minutes on me, I was rec'd to only use EDP...not Parfum even but EDP has the best staying power whilst still being "affordable" [ha! I said affordable & Chanel in the same review!]). I am going to buy the solid Parfum of this EDP spray coz I like it so much! Chanel doesn't have much staying power thou which is disappointing which is frankly kinda shocking when I paid $125 for 3.4oz EDP. My faves (& that I own) are Chance 1.2oz EDT; Chance eau tendre body spray; Coco Noir/Coco/Allure 3.4oz EDP; & 3 bars of soap (Coco/No. 5/Coco Mdmslle), + a bunch of Chanel makeup mostly Glossimers make up the biggest part of my collection. I'm kind of like an avid collector, Chanel is my fave beauty brand in the world even if their scents don't have a ton of staying power they are so unique, beautiful, & sophisticated that you cannot help feeling so great when ur wearing them. I highly rec'd them in spite of sillage happening in less than 1 hour & having to reapply more than say like Dior Addict, Jimmy Choo Stars, or EL Youth Dew (those are my other "good" perfumes the rest are all under $50 or Victoria's Secret/bath&bodyworks which my mom told me not too long ago "it better to own ONE good bottle of perfume than 50 Victoria's Secret sh!te [her opinion of VS/B&BW isn't real high]). My advice: never try high end cosmetics & perfumes coz I used to love VS/B&BW & now it doesn't enthrall me any longer. Same w DS makeup I'm underwhelmed now w my old beloved wetnwild 666 Brandywine lipliner after buying Chanel & MAC liners. Okay I digress. Back to Chanel Noir, I get a lot of sandalwood & some musk both of which I love, incense, a smoky note (wish there was more smoke & leather in this. I've not smelled any perfumes that are Noir/Nuit well I can't think of any off the top of my head). I wish this was heavier & more heady/sensual/animalistic basically I wish this was a harder hitter. I thought Noir would mean strong & deep but it's surprisingly a lightweight (I did a blind buy), not what I thought it would be, it has an effervescent grapefruit note like many of the mass marketed scents do (even Dior Addict has it) that which to me represents a kind of traitorous treachery to the memory of an icon like Coco Chanel. When I think of her I simply expect nothing but the best (& any perfume over $100 better be evthing, a bag of chips, & walk the dog!). They gave a 3/4 hearted unconcerted effort w this, coulda tried a bit harder for individuality AND esp. better longevity. I do love the bottle, its shape is so classic yet modern sleek shiny black looks good on anybody's dressing area/vanity. I'm still giving this 5 lippies just because I like the sandalwood, musk, & hint of powderiness. It smells like expensive. It is sweeter than No. 5, until I got collecting Chanel & bought Coco Noir my unrefined self/nose thought most of the traditional Chanel fragrances were heavy kind of EL Youth Dew/EL Cinnabar/EL Estée scents with very little sweetness. But then I fell hard for Beige, built my collection (in the past I had only had Chance & No. 5.....) & my tastes have changed a lot as I grew older. I think this is a scent that is not something that would appeal to too many people under 30 maybe 35, extra bonus points if you're a spinster (hmm..ME) coz if ur anything like me u wear a perfume selfishly for yourself only & not to overtly please any suitors/beaux. I'm not into smelling like an 8th grade locker room after 7th period gym class (a fog of VS Love Spell, Vanilla Fantasy, & Juicy Couture....) NO OFFENSE don't get me wrong I enjoy those on occasion but Chanel is appreciated by those with taste, I don't mean the kind in your mouth, & maybe coz it's come by so dearly by me (I don't earn much money. I'm broke, period.), I'm even more enthralled by how special Coco Noir is & the rest of the house of Chanel. I really think I could buy any Chanel scent & adore it. Scent is objective: but I can safely blind buy Chanel without being uneasy or nervous that imma end up w a dud or something obnoxious/cheap smelling. I do like my scent to proceed me ever so slightly & have projection, I do not like skinscents & I don't allow anyone to hug me (I guess I'm OCD; I find hugging repugnant), so Coco Noir could be a little stronger in that respect. I find Allure & Coco to have more of that. I don't want to induce nausea/headaches to the folks who occupy the same physical space as me coz that's impolite/inconsiderate/rude. Coco Noir is not a skinscent but it's not super heavy. It leans more skinscent than projecting if I had to choose like 60/40 i reck. Other than grapefruit I don't get any other fruitiness/sugar off this. I'm interested/intrigued to try Aquolina Black Sugar which is getting a lot of love on the Fragrance Board ATM to see if it is anything close to Coco Noir. Aquolina runs ~$60 + tax (not sure but prob toilette spray?) for the same amount of liquid as Chanel's 3.4oz EDP ($125 + tax). Coco Noir, to wrap this review up, is a very fine fragrance that I really like. It's a chameleon sometimes the fruitiness of grapefruit, the powdery & muskiness I adore, & a bit of fruitchouli other times. A must-have for those who collect Chanel but if you could only afford to buy 1 Chanel fragrance I'd suggest something else. Beige is my #1 & I'm itching to get it back into my collection in Parfum form! Les Exs isn't sold to my knowledge in the big town by me but Coco Noir IS, so I hate smelling like other people I may smell in passing in public.

TL;DR Coco Chanel is great! I highly recommend this scent but it's not particularly long lasting. Gr8 for those who like to collect Chanel!

on 11/29/2015 2:30:00 AM

I feel like people have got an issue with the bottle rather than the perfume. To tell u the truth this is the perfume I would expect from a bottle like the coco noir and this is because o find it so different noir and at the same time elegant, classy, refreshing and expensive. If I had a completely black type perfume I wouldn't have been happy at all but dizzy a different perfume I won't name it now! I first had a snif when I went to leave my boy to his nursery; a mum passed next to me with and amazing style aroun early or mid 30's and I said to my self OMG what perfume does she wear!after a few days the same!a divine perfume not too strong for 7:30 in the morning but really different refreshing! After a few days the same happened so I decided to ask her! It was Coco Noir! I went online to order it I thought like other people that it was a bit expensive but I ordered it. It's lovely and I always use it with the body lotion. I m not going to discuss the notes just suggest to spray it on your skin before u buy. But like another member said before I feel I can smell Mademoiselle Coco everywhere and I wanted something different. I m 38 by the way. The body lotion is amazing too!

on 9/13/2015 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I have worn Chanel Coco since it first came out in the 80s and it has played a big role in my life; I met my husband the night I bought my first bottle and Coco is his favorite of all my perfumes. I'm sharing this because, while my heart skipped a beat when I first read that Chanel was releasing Coco Noir and I saw that gorgeous black bottle, I really didn't see how it could be much more "noir" than the original. The way to judge Coco Noir is on it's own merit, and it's just lovely: a smooth, elegant well blended Floriental with a modern feel and no notes that really stand out. There is clean patchouli and a lovely musk in the basenotes giving a well rounded feel to the whole composition. Coco Noir purrs and while it's sexy, it would be fine for work as long as application is light. For me it's wearable in all but the hottest weather, and that black bottle is stunning. Overall Coco Noir is not going to set the world on fire but it will make it smell a little classier. Lasts all day, too.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Very sophisticated, strong and long lasting. My go-to perfume for any occasion.
If you are looking for a scent that will transport you into a beautiful nostalgic realm look no further.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I rarely wear perfume as most give me a headache or make me nauseous. Never this though. Its a beautiful, sexy, sophisticated perfume. Cons - price.

Popular Fragrances