Urban Decay Smoked

Urban Decay Smoked

4.2

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

This is another one of those palettes that I thought I'd be too old for. I ordered this from UD's website: $20, plus it comes with the 24/7 eyeliner pencil, the primer potion, and I got a free Afterglow highlighter in sin, as a bday gift, which will be going to my daughter, along with the primer potion. Free shipping also, for signing up as one of their 'junkies', lol, oh Lord, I think I'm going to hell now.

So this is neutral mattes & shimmering jewel tones that comes in a wonderful black zippered mirrored case. To be honest, the packaging was a big draw for me. It will be great for traveling. The mattes are soft, though not as soft as say the Lorac shadows. The shimmers feel a bit rough, but only a bit. I'm just really used to soft shadows. Nonetheless, all the shadows go on nicely, minimal fallout, with good color payoff. Many on here said they cannot do a complete eye look with this palette, but I heartily disagree. This makes lovely eye looks using the right combination of mattes & jewel tones within the palette.

I will agree somewhat about the muddiness though. I found that the more I blend, the more likely these will turn muddy on me. But its an easy fix as they don't actually NEED a whole lot of blending. Once I lay down the matte base color, I put down the brush and I just use my finger to swipe on one of the jewel tones and using my finger to blend very slightly gives a beautiful finish. The colors last on me without creasing or fading, all without the use of the primer, as I do not use eye shadow primers ever. I'll use a clean brush then to clean up around the edges to soften the look. It works like a charm.

The eyeliner pencil is highly pigmented. Probably one of the best I've ever used. It literally does glide on - just like the name of it says. Because of my age though, I only use it on the top of my eye as the dark black along the bottom lash is too harsh for me now. I would have loved this back in my younger years for my waterline.

Overall, I love this palette. Is it an everyday palette? Yes, because of the neural mattes, and even when using the jewel tones if used with a light hand. It's def. great for dramatic glam looks. Which is another thing I love about this: very easy to go from day to night. I love everything about it and the price cannot be beat. I'm glad I was able to snag one at such a great price. I also think this is one of UD's best offerings. I never cared for the Naked 1, and therefore never got on board with the other naked palettes, except the Naked Basics.

Edit to add: This does come with a how-to booklet, which is also a really nice bonus for those who may be intimidate by these colors.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Yanno I've never really been able to master the smoky eye I am ashamed to admit. 31 years of wearing makeup it took the 12 looks in this book that came w the palette (this book is sooo important it's like half of the value of the palette!!) I did the first look with much success & I've decided to do all 11 more in the next 11 days. The pencil (full sized 24/7 Perversion) is $20, travel UDPP is $12 + eyeshadows/book holy cannoli I paid $20 only for this delightful very nice palette. It's out of my comfort zone big time which is great i tend to keep buying the same colors in diff brands. But this is legit different than what I own. I didn't own good sapphire & emerald jeweled toned shades & 1 legit black (MAC carbon & it isn't even as black as this) & I have a million run of the mill black eyeliners but this eyeliner is really great in terms of shade (blacker than ace of spades) remarkable wearing longevity of both Perversion & e/s & using UDPP helps that (that was thoughtful of UD to throw in i would've liked a small travel brush & mini Perversion mascara I woulda paid extra. But even at $49USD this is a good deal at $20USD is a downright bargain barnyard steal it's like i bought the eyeliner & all the rest was a gift gratis who doesn't love getting something for free???!!! I actually accomplished my 1st of 12 smoky eye looks I couldn't be prouder & more satisfied w the best $20 bucks well spent. I'm so happy I own this & I will be cruising UD's sale page on a regular basis!

on 5/25/2016 12:33:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I thought I would love this palette but unfortunately I did not use it enough. The smokey shades are beautiful in the palette as well as swatched. However when worn and blended on the eyelids, most just ends up looking gray on the eyes as some other reviews have said as well. I just did not like the way the shades looked and barely ever reached for this palette.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I got this when sephora was selling it for cheap. First off I love the packaging on it its a black case that zips. It came with an eyeliner and a primer potion (which I used up really quickly)
To the actual shadows, I have only hit pan on a few of them because the darker ones tend to look kind of muddy. The lightest two shades ( kinky and freestyle) are the ones that I have hit pan on. All of the shadows are very buttery and smooth. For the price I paid it wasn't a bad deal and all the extras that came with it were well worth it for me.

I love the palette and all of urban decay products, but three of the pigments in this palette remind me something you would see Tammy Fay Baker or an 80's grandma would wear. I could do with 2 other colors for the blue and green, the purple is alright but repeated in their other palettes it seems.

on 5/9/2017 4:44:00 PM

I would give this palette five stars just for the Barlust eyeshadow color. Barlust is the most gorgeous and versatile shimmery brown that I have ever used. It literally goes on like butter and stays on even without primer. I have a light-medium skin tone and Barlust compliments my skin so well. It can be swept on with a taupe color for a natural day look and layered at night for the perfect smoky eye. The other shadows in the palette are also great quality and go on smoothly (but really nothing compares to Barlust). The only drawback, as other reviewers have pointed out, is that the shadows in this palette lack light and neutral tones to pair with the deep, rich colors; however, I actually prefer this because I use darker shadows a lot more.

I only used this palette for mushroom and combine the darker shade with other eyeshadows. I never used this palette alone and that why i gave a 2 out of 5. this is not a versatile palette, and I do not like the 2 lighter shades. but the pigmentation of all the eyeshadows are good and easy to blend.

on 1/13/2016 10:36:00 PM

I just got this beauty when it was on sale at Ulta for $22. I am so glad I decided to get this! I'm normally not the girl who will wear all these dark and bold colors (I'm a sucker for neutrals) but this...this is great. It's changed my whole perspective on blue eye shadow! It makes a beautiful smoky eye regardless which shades you use. The liner and the primer potion are both amazing as well.

I love this palette. It's my goto palette for most occassions. I've had it for over two years (I know I'm supposed to throw it away after 12 months but who really does that?) & I still haven't hit pan.
The colours are beautiful and really pigmented.
It comes with a booklet to tell you how to achieve different looks.

on 12/8/2015 8:39:00 PM

I really love some of these colours, but half the time I don't have the occasion to wear them. The worst thing about it is that, unlike the various Naked palettes, I don't think you can really create a make up look just with these colours. When I have used it, I've relied on other colours. I do love it enough that I wouldn't throw it away and will still use it occasionally, I just wouldn't rebuy it.