Urban Decay Smoked

Urban Decay Smoked

4.2

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

I got this when sephora was selling it for cheap. First off I love the packaging on it its a black case that zips. It came with an eyeliner and a primer potion (which I used up really quickly)
To the actual shadows, I have only hit pan on a few of them because the darker ones tend to look kind of muddy. The lightest two shades ( kinky and freestyle) are the ones that I have hit pan on. All of the shadows are very buttery and smooth. For the price I paid it wasn't a bad deal and all the extras that came with it were well worth it for me.

on 5/25/2016 12:33:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I thought I would love this palette but unfortunately I did not use it enough. The smokey shades are beautiful in the palette as well as swatched. However when worn and blended on the eyelids, most just ends up looking gray on the eyes as some other reviews have said as well. I just did not like the way the shades looked and barely ever reached for this palette.

To Read all 51 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/13/2016 10:36:00 PM

I just got this beauty when it was on sale at Ulta for $22. I am so glad I decided to get this! I'm normally not the girl who will wear all these dark and bold colors (I'm a sucker for neutrals) but this...this is great. It's changed my whole perspective on blue eye shadow! It makes a beautiful smoky eye regardless which shades you use. The liner and the primer potion are both amazing as well.

on 12/8/2015 8:39:00 PM

I really love some of these colours, but half the time I don't have the occasion to wear them. The worst thing about it is that, unlike the various Naked palettes, I don't think you can really create a make up look just with these colours. When I have used it, I've relied on other colours. I do love it enough that I wouldn't throw it away and will still use it occasionally, I just wouldn't rebuy it.

I love this palette. It's my goto palette for most occassions. I've had it for over two years (I know I'm supposed to throw it away after 12 months but who really does that?) & I still haven't hit pan.
The colours are beautiful and really pigmented.
It comes with a booklet to tell you how to achieve different looks.

I only used this palette for mushroom and combine the darker shade with other eyeshadows. I never used this palette alone and that why i gave a 2 out of 5. this is not a versatile palette, and I do not like the 2 lighter shades. but the pigmentation of all the eyeshadows are good and easy to blend.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The best UD palette there is. I'm not a fan of glittery eyeshadows so this blows all the Naked palettes out of the water for me.

on 3/14/2015 3:53:00 PM

A bit of advice here... Try using them wet.

Overall, this palette works for me. I got it on sale at Sephora for $20 so it's actually a good deal. The eyeliner is good though I rarely use it. I prefer liquid liner pens generally. The primer is good, as well. As for the many shadows, I agree with reviews that say the jewel tones don't deliver and look sort of muddy. These beautiful colors unfortunately do not translate on skin. However, a few days ago, in an attempt to make them work, I dipped a liner brush in water to line my upper and lower lids using the blue shadow. After a little effort, it was quite vibrantly blue and really pretty. Ill be trying this again with the jewel green as that's one of my favorite shadow colors. I hope that it will 'pop' like the blue sid using this method. The wet application also cut down on the powdery fallout. If you have this palette and are disappointed in them, I highly recommend trying to use them wet. As for the rest of it, the two highlighting colors are very nice. The shimmery grey Mushroom shade is is a lovely neutral on me with a good pigmentation.

Since this palette isn't offered anymore, you may find it for a steal like many of us have. In that case it is definitely a nice purchase.

on 1/29/2015 1:03:00 AM

I believe this palette is currently being phased out. It can only be found on the UD website now. I snagged it when Sephora marked it down to $20. After playing around with this I am glad I had passed up the opportunities I'd had to purchase this when it was full price ($49), but it's still a really nice palette. This palette contains ten shades. There are four matte shades and the rest are highly shimmery. There are seven neutral shades and three jewel tones enclosed in a smokey charcoal colored lycra material, zippered case. There is also a nice mirror inside the lid.

Kinky - a matte cream
Freestyle - similar to Kinky only warmer and with a peach undertone
Mushroom - a very shimmery taupe silver
Backdoor - a rich, dark, matte cocoa brown
Blackout - a super intense matte black. Black black. Stain your fingertips black.
Barlust - this is a gorgeous, very shimmery reddish brown with copper undertones
Rockstar - a shimmery plum
Evidence - a shimmery sapphire blue
Loaded - a shimmery emerald green
Asphalt - A shimmery dark silver grey

This palette also comes with a full size UD 24/7 eyeliner in Perversion, which is their blackest black eyeliner (that, alone, makes the rest of the palette free when you purchase it at the sale price!). It also comes with a deluxe size sample of the original Primer Potion (it's in a "secret compartment" at one end of the box, so you have to open the opposite end you opened to get the actual palette out to access the primer) and a look guide. Now, let me say that this is probably the most comprehensive look guide I've ever seen with a palette. Forget a cheesy three-look guide on a glossy slip of paper. Oh no. This is an UD quality, beautifully bound, gorgeous embossed cover, thorough look book. Not only does it give you explicitly detailed instructions on how to achieve twelve sultry smoky eye looks ranging from office-appropriate to rock concert to boudoir, but it explains the application techniques, what brushes work best, and how to finish off the looks with the right blush and lipstick.

Let's get into the good and the bad about this palette. The one huge downside is that there isn't a broad range of transition shades. Granted, this is a smokey eye palette, but the lack of a couple of matte transition shades completely takes away from any versatility it may have had and makes it, really, either just a smokey eye palette or one you pick and choose shades from and use them in conjuction with another palette or single shadows you own. Another bummer is that the three jewel tones are very "hard" shadows in texture. They aren't dry, but they aren't that buttery soft texture most people think of when they think Urban Decay. Loaded and Blackout have the most fallout so either shield under your eyes when working with them, or do your face makeup last. The other shades don't have as much fallout as you normally get with UD shadows. Kinky and Freestyle are very soft to the point where they kick up a bit of powdery excess when you dip a brush in them, but it's not awful.

But even beyond that I find that the most grievous flaw with this palette lies with the jewel tone shades. On the lid, when used with other shades from the palette, they look very muddy. You're expecting a vibrant pop of color and it just does not deliver. Today I used Loaded under my lower lash line and it looked brownish grey, and that was using a clean smudge brush for application. That beautiful emerald hue just did not translate from the pan to the skin. Evidence is even worse. It reads as more of a muted greyish blue on the lid and blends terribly. Rockstar is the best of the three, but still comes across very "dusty" in tone on the lid.

With that said, for what you get this is a nice palette to have. The colors are, for all intents and purposes, very workable if you aren't expecting the jewel tone shades to provide a "pop" of color. Some are more blendable than others. I gave this palette four lippies for the nice zippered case, the look guide, the full size 24/7, and all but three of the shades being really great to work with.

on 11/8/2014 7:27:00 AM

I got this palette on sale for $29. At that price...it is awesome! I would not have paid full price for it as I never do really dark eyes. Most the colors are doable though and a good matte brown and black are always good to have (even though I don't use them much). I honestly will probably never use the bold colors (green, blue, etc), fun to have though. I loved the brown/bronze shade in here though, Rockstar and Mushroom. Now I have all three, plus a variety of other shades and a Perversion liner...for $29! I needed another palette like I needed a hole in the head, but this was a darn good deal that let me get my hands on 3 UD shades I wanted plus a whole lot more for $29. Did I mention $29? BTW, if you see this review soon, it is still on sale at Ulta and the UD website for this price. I am NW20, deep winter, almost black hair, brown eyes.