Wella Frosty Ash

1 review

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/2/2012 3:36:00 PM

Heard Wella had reformulated their Color Charm line. Had used this a couple of years back because Color Charm was (and is) widely heralded for its color range, gray coverage and fade resistance. Unfortunately, the original formula left your hair extremely stripped. Like uncombable! So the great news is the new formula, featuring "Liquifuse Technology" is light years better! I used one bottle of Frosty Ash (white blonde) plus 2.8 ounces of 30 volume Clairol Soy4Plex cream developer (it's a 1:2 ratio). My natural hair is dark blonde (level 6) w/ 20-30% gray. Left the mixture on one full hour (although Wella advises up to 45 minutes). Still chasing the white blonde look. Okay, the smell. It's not awful, but it's strong. Box says this features a new floral fragrance. This nose detected no fragrance at all except strong chemicals! Had minor tingling/itchiness of the scalp. (Nothing compared to what I used to tolerate in my earlier days of hair lightening.)

Results: 100% Gray coverage, yeah! For reference, I have pretty thick hair below the shoulders so preferably should have gotten two boxes of Frosty Ash. The lift was really nice (although not white blonde), and my hair was hardly damaged at all considering the ultra blonde formula. Next time I might add Wella's Cooling Violet which tones down red/warm tones. And if I'm really brave, I could use 40 volume developer to get the white baby blonde shade I'm still craving. But beware because 40 volume is a real hair killer. Used it some years ago, and afterwards my hair would constantly get knotted like crazy from damaged hair getting tangled together.

Conclusion: kudos to Wella because they did a wonderful job of reformulating an old favorite. I paid $2.99 for a bottle of Color Charm, and anyone in this economy would call that a fab deal.

Lastly, I highly recommend using Infusium 23 Repairology treatment post coloring. It does a fab job of restoring your hair after any chemical service.

Popular Hair Color Products