Wella Frosty Ash

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Wella Frosty Ash

Price: $

Price: $

This is my favorite dye from Wella I have read this is a high lift colour and I love the results I've gotten. First this is cool toned so and I find I being cool skin toned this works very well with my skin tone. I bought 2 boxes of the 12A and one box of T18 toner. I did my roots first using 30 vol because I have a lot of gold dominate underlying pigment so it's hard to get my hair ashy and cool. With this dye I left it on my roots for about 40 minutes and they finally went very light yellow so I could tone properly. I used 20 vol on the length since it's much lighter and very porous so it lightens quickly. Once I finishes the roots and my length I noticed I only needed to tone my roots.

My hair came out a beautiful ashy white blonde. It's pretty much platinum. I used the T18 on my roots only and my hair came out so even it blends perfectly! I'm very happy with this hair colour and this will now be my go to high lift. It turns light purple while this is in your hair so I think that's why I barely had to tone. I use 10 vol with the T18 btw. The price is reasonable and the product itself is amazing! Plus my hair feels soft not dry or fried at all. I do deep condition after I colour and will use purple shampoo to upkeep the colour between root touch ups and toning. My hair is very porous but the colour took evenly. I'm very happy with the results it's the lightest I've had my hair and I couldn't be more pleased by how this worked. Highly recommended! :)

on 4/12/2014 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Eta: this mixed with 20 vol is like a magic eraser for pastel unnatural hair colors. Put it on leave for 10 min and voila, back to blonde. Love it!

This stuff is great! I too used it kind of as a toner with some lift. I had the platinum blonde but my stinkin roots would NOT go past yellow no matter how much bleach, t18/14, virgin snow, violet semi diluted, etc I'd use. So as a last resort I found some of this in my drawer and used 25 vol with it. It turned my hair steel purple grey (!!!) in 20-25 min so I washed it out; wet my hair still looked pretty grey. Dry though it's a perfect silvery platinum white. LOOOOVE!!! No more yellow roots. May have to use this every bleach! I always have better luck w wella.

I had this horrible yellow tinge in my blonde hair that I couldn't get rid of so one day I'm at Sally and I had been eyeing this permanent color for a while and wondered what it would turn out like if I used it as a toner? So I picked a tube up and 10 volume peroxide. I waited til my next bleaching and trim too do it I waited a few days and I finally did it I left it on for about 1hr and I rinsed it with silver shampoo man I looked at myself I was like wtf my hair is violet gray. I sucked it up and three days later I washed it my hair was the prettiest white blonde ever omg I started using this with my platinum routine I had the best hair ever!

on 8/2/2012 3:36:00 PM

Heard Wella had reformulated their Color Charm line. Had used this a couple of years back because Color Charm was (and is) widely heralded for its color range, gray coverage and fade resistance. Unfortunately, the original formula left your hair extremely stripped. Like uncombable! So the great news is the new formula, featuring "Liquifuse Technology" is light years better! I used one bottle of Frosty Ash (white blonde) plus 2.8 ounces of 30 volume Clairol Soy4Plex cream developer (it's a 1:2 ratio). My natural hair is dark blonde (level 6) w/ 20-30% gray. Left the mixture on one full hour (although Wella advises up to 45 minutes). Still chasing the white blonde look. Okay, the smell. It's not awful, but it's strong. Box says this features a new floral fragrance. This nose detected no fragrance at all except strong chemicals! Had minor tingling/itchiness of the scalp. (Nothing compared to what I used to tolerate in my earlier days of hair lightening.)

Results: 100% Gray coverage, yeah! For reference, I have pretty thick hair below the shoulders so preferably should have gotten two boxes of Frosty Ash. The lift was really nice (although not white blonde), and my hair was hardly damaged at all considering the ultra blonde formula. Next time I might add Wella's Cooling Violet which tones down red/warm tones. And if I'm really brave, I could use 40 volume developer to get the white baby blonde shade I'm still craving. But beware because 40 volume is a real hair killer. Used it some years ago, and afterwards my hair would constantly get knotted like crazy from damaged hair getting tangled together.

Conclusion: kudos to Wella because they did a wonderful job of reformulating an old favorite. I paid $2.99 for a bottle of Color Charm, and anyone in this economy would call that a fab deal.

Lastly, I highly recommend using Infusium 23 Repairology treatment post coloring. It does a fab job of restoring your hair after any chemical service.