Mecca Cosmetica - To Save Face SPF 30+ Hydrating Facial Sunscreen

Mecca Cosmetica - To Save Face SPF 30+ Hydrating Facial Sunscreen

4.4

Octocrylene 5% w/w, Phenylbenzimidazole, Sulfonic Acid 2% w/w, Oxybenzone 1.5% w/w, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane 1% w/w. PRESERVATIVES: Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxybenzoates.

on 6/9/2016 10:04:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

After using this product for over a year I can safely say this is a reliable and quality product! Currently on holiday in Greece with long days seeing the sites outdoors in hot weather and in the past other sunscreens would have caused me to get blocked pores but with Mecca this is not a problem. I use it alone during the summer and in winter I layer it over a moisturiser. The fragrance has not irritated my sensitive skin. And it blends really easily like a moisturiser; no white cast or oiliness/stickiness. It is also long lasting as I apply once and am covered for the day (obviously it is recommended to reapply, especially after swimming, but I have not gotten burnt with it).

I had a bad reaction to a zinc based sunblock this holiday (probably one of the other ingredients they added) and all over my body is covered in hives from photocontact dermatitis but thank God I used To Save Face on my face because it really did save me. Forever indebted to this product. Will recommend to all!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I wanted to LOVE this so much and I kind of do but it does not love me!

Warning for ladies with sensitive skin or issues with sunscreen this may not be the guy for you. While it smells AMAZING, packaging is gorgeous etc, every time I use this within two days I break out in little hives all over my face! For girls with no issues with sunscreen get it because it's super cute and smells nice. Everyone else... ask for samples first or try before you buy.

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

Woooo finally a sunscreen that doesn't have that sunscreen-y smell! Instead it has a floral scent and is genuinely nice to have on my face, I loathe strongly scented face products since I find them generally overpowering, but this stuff is lovely.
Texture wise it goes on very smooth and leaves a slight sheen that one may describe as a 'dewy glow'. By the end of the day it's more of a 'light slick' but that's nothing a wee blotting paper can't fix.
This product does exactly what it says, hydrates and protects from the sun's rays (which all the way down in NZ are NO JOKE, seriously I spent 10 minutes outside looking for a pair of sunglasses I dropped and my arms and shoulders turned a lovely shade of lobster-don't be sun dumb like me.) I can pop this product on after my moisturiser (or oil) and I'm good to go. It's lightly tinted which I like and the wee tube fits easily in my bag so I always have it handy when I need to reapply. Might seem a bit expensive, but honestly botox is waaaaay more expensive that this and getting needles in my face just doesn't seem appealing, nor does forehead-freeze since I'm quite a eyebrow-communicator.

Pros:
-Nicely scented, not overpowering, doesn't have that typical 'sunscreen-scent'
-Does exactly what it says it does. I have never been burned while wearing this on my face.
-Gives a boost of moisture to my combination skin. If I under-do the moisturiser, this fixes up any remaining dryness.
-Doesn't break me out, which many sunscreens I have previously tried, have.
-Doesn't give me blackheads either. Bonus!
-Little tube is travel-friendly. I have one in my bag and one on my dresser.
-Lightly tinted, helps to even out my skin tone a bit.

Cons:
-Leaves a slight sheen after it is applied. By the end of the day you may be a bit greasy. My advice, invest in some blotting paper.
-Again it is one of those products that is a tad pricey, but if you look at it as a preventative for all the expensive products/procedures you will need to buy to 'fix' or 'correct' the damage UV rays do, it actually works out to be pretty cheap.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

AMAZING!!!! absolutely loving. I use the darker shade and it looks fab on my face.

on 7/31/2015 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought one of the little travel size tubes of this for AU$15, and I am DEFINITELY buying a full-sized one when this one runs out! This is the only sunscreen I've ever used that doesn't either feel like I've slathered lard all over my face or aggravate my sensitive skin. It's so light it doesn't even feel like I have anything on.

Definitely recommend, especially if you're picky about your sunscreen needs. If you're not sure, $15 for a small tube should give you a good idea without shelling out for the big one.

on 11/25/2014 4:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Finally, a sunscreen for the face that doesn't stink or make me shiny. I bought this from Mecca prior to going OS on holidays. I use retinol, AHAs and BHAs so a facial sunscreen is essential all year round. My trouble was finding a sunscreen that didn't stink like so many of them do and one that didn't make my face shiny/greasy. I also exercise daily and found that even with sports sunscreens they ran and stung my eyes when mixed with sweat.

Enter this sunscreen. It smells great - light and pleasant, the fragrance doesn't linger either. It has a lightweight texture and melts easily into my skin (normal to dry, with some hormonal breakouts that are now under control). No gross sunscreen smell and no shiny greasy face if wearing on its own! I haven't tried it in place of my serum/moisturiser as I don't think it'd be hydrating enough for my skin, but those with normal/combo/oily skins may differ on this. The Mecca SA also told me I could use it as a primer so that's what I've been doing. Goes on easily under my foundation. The packaging (slightly updated from the pic above) is minimalist and chic. I use it only on my face at the moment but it can be used on the whole body. $45 for 100ml which I think is reasonable given the performance of the product and the fact there are plenty of products dearer than this that aren't half as good. It might be a bit steep to use all over and depending on the expiry date, I may consider buying a regular sunscreen from the supermarket for my body. Definitely a keeper though.

on 11/4/2014 7:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have oily/combination skin and have avoided sunscreens like the plague as I've always felt they made my skin break out as well as making my face look super shiny. All this has changed thanks to this product. A little goes a long way with this sunscreen, and the end result is a matte like finish that doesn't ruin any makeup you may apply afterwards. It acts both as a moisturiser and sunscreen which is what I love most about it. Has a great smell and applies easily.

on 2/23/2014 2:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Love this stuff! It doesn't have that horrendous sunscreen scent and actually smells delicious! It dries to a nice matte finish and doesn't reduce the longevity of my makeup which is great! I use this everyday and will repurchase. Price is quite high but I think it's worth it.

on 11/10/2013 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Having not only oily skin, but along with being sensitive and acne-prone, finding a high spf sunscreen that doesn't break me out has been a big challenge for me. I had read the rave reviews on Mecca's site for this product but the price put me off for the longest time until recently I went on Accutane so a high sunscreen was now even more essential. I took the plunge and picked this up and at first I wasn't sure about it but after sticking with it, I am really impressed.

For $45 you do get 100ml which is a lot of product so I don't see myself using this up any time soon. The packaging is nice, not compact but I like the squeeze tube packaging. I hate the smell of sunscreen and unfortunately with anything SPF30 or more you can't really escape it. I love that this does have a fragrance to it which helps mask the smell but it is located lower in the ingredients so it doesn't irritate my skin.

It definitely is a hydrating formula so its easy to spread and dries down to a slightly shiny finish but it wears really well under makeup. It claims to be non-whitening and I can vouch for that, it blends in really seamlessly into the skin.

Overall, it is an investment so if you have tried everything in the low-end market and still haven't found a sunscreen that doesn't irritate your skin & cause more breakouts than I would highly recommend this.

on 10/3/2013 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I hate how most sunscreens leave a greasy shine over your face or ghost face. This product doesn't do that at all. It seems to have helped refine my skin all over and there seems to be less redness and no visible pores. I've been using it for about two weeks and I haven't had any break outs yet. I don't think I've been burnt through it, even though I've been wearing it on the beach and in the pool. The smell is very good.
For a $45 sunscreen (the most expensive beauty product I've ever bought) it seems to be totally worth it.