Marc Jacobs Dot

Marc Jacobs Dot

3.6

I don't own the full size bottle, but I have tried it many times and it always came out smelling as an amazing clean, melon and cucumber scent on me. I know it doesn't contain those notes but that's what it transforms to on me so I'll continue using that description. It was one of my favourite scents for its clean light smell, but it only lasted about 3 hours for me.

I bought the (authentic) mini ~5ml version and it's literally the worst smelling perfume I've ever used on myself. For some reason the mini version smells like straight pepper on me. Not a nice note of pepper (like Gucci Guilty which I adore), no it smells exactly like I had dropped a container of black pepper and had it blow back into my face. It makes it very hard to breathe and I can't escape the smell, no matter how little I use. The notes don't even contain pepper! There's a slight hint of the melon but the pepper is so overpowering I don't want to seek it out. I bought it intending for it to be the cleanest, lightest fragrance in my collection but instead it's the heaviest and most overpowering.

I used my mini on my partner and he got the clean melon scent. I immediately used it on myself to show him the difference between our body chemistry and at first he refused to believe it was the same perfume, even though I applied it a couple seconds later. He honestly thought I'd switched it as a joke.

Even though Dot - and Marc Jacobs perfumes - are known for only lasting 3 - 4 hours, the pepper smell from my mini lasts around 5 - 6 hours. The melon hint disappears after half an hour.

I would rate the full size a 3 because even though I love the melon smell it comes out as on me, the lasting power is so weak I don't see it as a worthwhile repurchase.

I considered rating this as a 2 out of 5 (for the poor lasting power, difference between the full and mini size, and because the mini packaging is in a clear bottle which is a poor way to store perfumes as the light will worsen it) to try and be fair since I'm sure it's my body chemistry that's to blame but since reviews are about personal experiences and this was mine, I chose to give it a 1 because that's what it is to me.

Small update: I've been wearing Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh for the last week and absolutely love it - I got Dot because I wanted a very clean and light but feminine smell and now Daisy ESF has fulfilled that need for me. Check it out if Dot morphs to something terrible on your skin.

on 12/30/2016 6:35:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I love Marc Jacobs perfume! The bottle of 'dot' is so cute and looks great on a vanity. The smell is very fresh. This is not my favourite Marc Jacobs perfume however. Whilst the smell is great when you first apply it, the scent doesn't carry it's original smell throughout the entire day. On me the scent seems to change slightly the longer I am wearing it. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the scent it transforms into, however I would prefer if the smell from the first time I sprayed on myself lasted longer.

For a more expensive perfume by a high end designer, you would hope the scent would last you the entire day, or at least hold it's original smell. Other Marc Jacobs perfumes (like Daisy) do hold their scent so I would stick to those.

on 11/7/2015 11:30:00 PM

I smell nothing special with this scent, I even can get this kind of scent in even-cheaper perfume. But the bottle is really an art, love it!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Love daisy by marc jacobs - so much so, that i was temporarily convinced that i should buy every perfume he comes up with in the future. While i do like this scent, It is aimed at more of a sweeter, younger age range. I think dot may be more for those looking for a particularly youngish scent in a cute (but annoyingly inconveniently shaped) bottle! I prefer daisy and daisy dream myself. But this is still worth trying for yourself and experiencing something new from marc jacobs. Beautiful as always. Cute packaging also, yet it makes it an inconvenience to spray on your pressure points accurately.

on 5/17/2015 5:14:00 PM

My all time favorite fragrances ever. Smells like a dream! I've purchased this 3 times now. & I will keep purchasing over & over.

on 1/8/2015 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have been wanting this fragrance for a long time now but it was just too much for a lower brand fragrance IMO. I am so excited to say, I walked into Ross's just at the right time! The lady had just put out the largest bottle of DOT for less than half the price at the high end department stores! I grabbed it! My birthday is coming up fast and this is perfect for me. I do enjoy this fragrance. It is not a smell that I would wear every day but it is very fresh and lovely. The bottle is beautiful and I lusted for it I think more than I actually wanted the fragrance. ;-) I have not opened my bottle yet but I will just to make sure it is a good bottle as sometimes Ross has older scents and I have gotten bottles before that have leaked out. I do not expect this to be true of this fragrance though. I can't really describe this scent as it changes the whole time I am wearing it. It last a very long time with me. I kept getting samples of this perfume before I made my purchase. I was saving up for the large bottle when I came upon this one yesterday! I love wearing a new scent to bed at night so I can see how long it last and what it smells like the next morning. This is one of the scents that I tired that lasted way into the morning and still smelled great. I think it gets better the longer I wear it.

Although people talked about this fragrance transforming into an awful sent on their skin, I did not find this. I love this fragrance. It is warm and smells like pine and berries, perfect for Winter! I use this in Winter seasons (on Christmas) and Marc Jacobs Daisy in Summer.

I do suggest trying this out a few times before purchasing because it is the type of perfume that can vary in scent depending on your skin type.

Also the packaging is surprisingly sturdy and really lovely quality. The glass bottle looks really nice on my dressing table.

PS: The price is a bit high but if you buy this from the right places you can get good discounts!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I love Marc Jacobs! Dot is my favorite perfume - definitely my signature scent! It smells floral yet fruity at the same time! Awesome scent to go with if you want something light and sweet :) That being said, this scent is made for younger people, and I've noticed that a lot of the negative reviews are from those age 25+.. this scent would be best for teenagers and young adults :)

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I feel about this the same way I feel about most other Marc Jacobs fragrances. They're nice, but nothing special and smell similar to one another. This one is no different. I wear it sometimes, but never on a special occasion or anything like that. It's fruity and youthful, probably perfect for a young woman in high school/early college age. I feel it wears off quickly despite being an EDP. Also, it is fruity and sweet which is great for daytime. Beautiful packaging, but nothing special on the inside!

on 12/3/2014 12:15:00 AM

This is a very fruity fragrance, it reminds me of berries. I was excited about the scent when I purchased it but then grew tired of the scent. It also wears off very quickly which is disappointing. Overpriced for what it is- regret purchasing. I rarely wear this fragrance any more

Popular Fragrances