Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.8

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

on 3/27/2017 5:54:00 AM

HG product for me. I have light combi skin with pretty dark freckles. This product is a little on the pricey side but a little goes a long way! It comes with a pump which means you can control it, unlike the YSL cushion foundation I was using because quite a bit of the product gets wasted on the sponge. It is as matte as it promises to be. The texture is kind of on the sticky side compared to other liquid foundations so to prevent any cakiness should you want to layer it more, try to use a hydrating primer underneath it.

I am on vacation in the US and am trying out some foundation.
I am fair, cool toned and my skin has melasma spots on the forehead. So this is doing the trick: shade 46 is cool toned, I put it on the forehead, shade 44 (a lighter cool color) on rest of the face. A little bit of indetectable contouring with 46. Finishing with transparent Artdeco Camouflage loose fixing powder).
If you try to cover melasma, you have to choose the shade of your melasma to cover this area, never try to cover that with a lighter shade or you will end up with several layers of makeup, which always looks mask like if put allover. Set it with the most invisible transparent powder you can get, every other powder with coverage will take away the wonderful natural effect you get with this foundation and then not the foundation is cakey but the setting powder or the application method needs to be changed. Sheer the foundation out where you dont need the full coverage, work eith it, play around and soon you can handle this product the right way and you will look like a foto model in the end.
I clearly prefere the feel and look of this foundation over ELDW (drying, oxidysing and so matt) and over Loreal Infallible total cover (more difficult to apply and no right cool shade for me, ivory is almost white due to the high coverage) In my opinion this Kat Von D really is a perfect product, worth the money.

This foundation is so high coverage and ultra pigmented. Kat von d never disappoints either when it comes to her packaging , however, this is just incredibly heavy. I have other full coverage foundations that don't feel like I literally have a mask on my face. So for that I wouldn't repurchase.

on 3/26/2017 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this product. It is hands-down my favourite foundation that I've tried.

Pros:
Stays in place all day
Works well with other products (Primers, powders, etc.)
Full Coverage (Don't even need concealer)
Only need a little bit for whole face
Packaging is nice

Cons:
You can definitely feel this product on your face

I don't find the price a problem. It last a very long time, considering I only need one pump for my whole face and do not need concealer. I breakout to a lot of face products but this one worked really well for me. I've tried it with multiple primers and it didn't react poorly to any of them. The only downside is that it feels kind of heavy on the skin which is why I didn't give it a 5/5. Other than that, this is an amazing product and I would definitely recommend this.

I soooo wanted to like this foundation b/c the coverage is awesome. The consistency is pretty amazing, too; however, it dries really quickly so you have to be FAST when applying it. Unfortunately, I had to return it because it oxidized HORRIBLY on my skin. It was a couple shades darker within an hour or two. Bummer b/c so many other makeup junkies love it. This one was unfortunately a "miss" for me!

on 3/16/2017 2:56:00 AM

I initially used this in the shade 44 as my foundation, I found that come mid day my nose would be super oily but nothing a blot wouldn't fix- this stays on my skin for hours upon hours.

As a foundation alone, I find this a little heavy, with a definte medium-high coverage. The finish is matte, and I've not noticed any transfer when using this.

What I really love this for, however, is mixing. After I used my sample up, I purchased the shade 42, which is about 2-3 shades too light for me. I've mixed this with other high coverage foundation which don't come light enough, such as the Estée Lauder double wear maximum cover, and with other foundations like the Nars Sheer Glow in Deauxville (which the sales girl said was my shade!). I've found it mixes really well, improves the coverage of other foundations and makes them slightly more matte.

And hats off to KVD for her shade range!

on 3/13/2017 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This foundation is really only good if you have very oily skin. I have a friend who has dry skin, and it didn't work well. It is very matte and will look like a mask of your skin doesn't produce a lot of oil. I like this foundation though. Full coverage, and I don't even need concealer. I have a lot of acne scars so I use my orange concealer after priming and then use this on top.

on 3/13/2017 6:28:00 PM

I don't do a lot of reviews and I'm only writing here because I was stunned to see the mediocre rating for this foundation. I think it's terrific. I do think maybe you need some experience and finesse to work with it, but I have never had the "mask like" finish that some reviewers report. I apply with my fingers and then press with a damp beauty blender. The finish is terrific, looks like skin and it lasts. I don't have any tolerance for makeup that needs retouching. This does not. Beautiful finish and lots of colors to find your match. I get more compliments using this foundation than with any other. I live in Florida and it doesn't melt. I've been using it for more than a year and am still pleased.

on 3/11/2017 12:59:00 PM

Very tacky, sticky foundation that sits on my face like a mask and maximises my light facial hair, pores and fine lines. Tried to apply it with a BeautyBlender, my fingers, brush, added a drop of moisturiser or oil but still it looks extremely unnatural and feels very sticky on my skin. I really do hate it and can't wait to throw it in the trash.

on 3/2/2017 3:38:00 PM

I have rosacea and while I don't have an issue with acne, I do have a beet red face. Oh, and I also have psoriasis around my hairline. So my skin is pretty terrible, and to add insult to injury, the foundation I spent years looking for that was **perfect** for my skin was discontinued... Le sigh... But after a few horrendous trials I finally found Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo Foundation. This stuff is my holy grail. I'm in love! I was initially worried about it being too cakey, or mask-looking, but NOPE. It looks natural on my skin, which is amazing because it also completely covered my redness.

Pros: Amazing coverage and so many shades to choose from! I'm very pale with (obviously) pinky/lobster skin and I went with the Neutral 42, which was perfect for me. The packaging on this is a pump, and it's so cute. It came with a little flower stopper for the pump too. Another pro is that that I didn't detect a scent in it, and a little goes a long way. I did my entire face with two small pumps. One for the base, and then a second to touch up the really red places. The price is a bit high, but honestly a little goes a long way and you don't need to use any other concealer/foundation products since the pigmentation is so high in this. I set it with Ben Nye neutral powder, and sprayed it with Urban Decay's De-slick setting spray. And the last pro, it didn't cling to my dry/flaky skin, which is amazing. I have patches of psoriasis, and for some reason this foundation went on smoothly. This part really shocked me, so whoo hoo!

Cons: This sets really fast. I watched reviews/tutorials on YouTube so I knew I couldn't be slow with my brushes. I used a flat, angled synthetic foundation brush for application and then worked it in with a dense synthetic foundation brush. It does separate a little around the nose as you wear it, so I used a very light hand when applying there, and retouched it with a brush and powder.

I would definitely buy this again and enthusiastically recommend it to anyone looking for high coverage. If it ever gets discontinued I will cry and scour Ebay/Amazon to hoard it. The foundations I've loved previously for high coverage were: Kryolan TV Paintstick in EF 21 and 23 (they recently changed their formula & it gets a pancake finish if not blended well), Graftobian Hi-Def Creme in Aurora, Sunrise Flush, and Buff (love it, but blending is a pain, it needs constant touchups, and it's super pricey) Smashbox's Halo HD foundation in Shade 1 (discontinued, wah!!!), and L'Oreal True Match Liquid Foundation in N 1, C 1, and C 2 (love this stuff and it's so affordable!).

I'm a person that will not leave the house without foundation because people will assume I'm sunburnt or that I'm blushing. This foundation evened out my skin and did it without looking cakey (like the Smashbox Studio Skin did for me!) and I didn't notice any oxidizing (like with Revlon's ColorStay). Five out of five lippies from me! Of all the foundations I mentioned above that I like, this one tops my list. No more lobster face! Yah!