Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation

Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation

3.7

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

on 9/16/2018 9:04:00 AM

This is definitely not a 1 size fits all kind of foundation. My skin is complicated. Its oily, dehydrated, sometimes dry and flaky, and my pores are really visible. My hormones play a big part on how my skin looks and feels throughout the month and this foundation performs best when my skin is at its best. If I have any dryness or texture going on, I won't use this. The best primer that worked for me under this foundation is the Hourglass N28. It helps this melt into the skin and look more like a 2nd skin. It takes a lot of work to wear this and you need to work quickly and in sections but the end result is incredibly worth it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After trying over 20 foundations over the years from max factor to Estée Lauder, MAC, Doir and others nothing will stick to my face... and if it does it feels heavy. On its own I don’t rate this foundation... but with the Kat Von d primer it suddenly becomes weightless and stays on all day no matter what I do! It’s AMAZING! The bottle is plastic... but it’s of great quality... and it has its own built in pump unlike Mac or nars or any others... and it’s cruelty free! What’s not to love! It’s a premium brand at a reasonable price... and there has been care and thought over every detail!

A little goes a long way... it coveres that much I don’t even need concealer... also it’s a dream to apply with the Kat Von d brush. Forget mac, forget Estée Lauder... there overpriced and they test on animals... this is the future for me!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

For reference, I have very fair, cool-toned, dry skin and use the shade L41.

I have been using this foundation for the past two months and yet feel completely unable to hold a definite opinion on it. My indecisiveness stems from the fact that this product had both outstanding qualities and serious flaws.

On the one hand, the range of colours and undertones available in the Lock-it line is quite simply outstanding. Since I always match the fairest foundation shade in every other line, I blind-bought the lightest shade L41. To my surprise, this foundation is actually slightly too light for me (it really is an extremely pale shade not very far from pure white) and its undertones, though described as neutral, lend a greyish cast to my skin. I can however pull this off as long as I brighten up my complexion with blusher and use a light hand. The coverage of this foundation is truly impressive, the tiniest amount is enough to cover half my face. In my opinion, it is comparable to Estée Lauder’s Double Wear in that respect. When used without any thinner or moisturising product, its finish is extremely matte. Besides, it is one of the cheapest options at Sephora and lasts forever since one only needs a tiny amount of product.

Now onto the less-than satisfying points.

The only word I can think of to accurately describe the texture of this foundation is “paint-like”. It is so thick that it won’t slide down the back of my hand if I vigorously wave it around. Unfortunately, that also means that spreading it on one’s face is, to put it nicely, a massive pain. The only way I have found to make it work is by adding a dollop of moisturiser or face oil. Obviously, this means that the matte finish is compromised and I end up with a semi-matte finish. My T-zone can even get quite shiny from the moisturiser. Powder then you’ll say! Sadly, even with moisturiser, this foundation clings to my dry patches like nobody’s business and the overall effect is heavy and mask-like.
Blending takes an awfully long time and the coverage is so intense that my face ends up looking flat unless I re-draw the rest of my features. In other words, this foundation is best reserved for special occasions where I have some time on my hands. The bottle comes with a stopper but no actual cap which I find slightly unhygienic.

on 8/27/2018 9:41:00 AM

I'd heard so much about this foundation but hadn't tried it beyond swatching it in store. It's full coverage which I typically don't care for, I'm more of a medium coverage gal, but Sephora online had a code to try 7 different foundation samples and it came with that. It was one of the few that contained enough product to do my entire face not once but twice.

Consistency is sort of thick and since it is so full coverage it's easy to over apply. None of the shades in the sample pack were an exact match, so I felt like I was wearing a mask after it dried down. Luckily I know better than to try a new foundation on a day when I have important things to do.

It goes on smoothly and it's easy to blend out... but the patchiness on my nose was awful. I rarely have this problem but it was so obvious. I was able to finally blend it out but it still didn't look as good as I would have liked in that area. I'm not sure if it's because I also used a new primer or what.

It didn't really stay matte after about an hour even after being set with powder, which isn't always a deal breaker for me but I just feel like it turned into a mess on my face and I had some serious cake going on around my eyebrows. It also oxidized, which actually worked in my favor this time since it blended in with my skin tone better. One good thing about it is that it never moved, creased, or transferred. It was like a second (rather thick) skin.

I wont be buying this. I didn't even use the rest of the sample. Regardless of how I personally feel about KVD most of her products are great but this one is meh. There are other long wear foundations that work better for my skin.

on 8/25/2018 7:41:00 AM

Love the Lock-It Foundation and Concealer, they're just so creamy and spreadable which is what I look for. It doesn't oxidise on my skin, it camouflage's my skins imperfections really well, I love the fact it's 100% cruelty free to which is one of the reasons it is my go to foundation and concealer. It works well with a flat brush and beauty blender, if you're unsure, get a sample from a Kat Von D counter as they're one of the counters where they don't mind because they aren't stuck up.

I have oily skin, very acne-prone with some scarring on the sides of my face. A friend had recommended this foundation to me and I was nervous at first, it felt so thick and I was just hoping it wouldn’t break me out.
After some trial and error (do not use a foundation brush with this) I fell in love! I picked the 41 neutral shade which is perfect for my skin tone. Definitely use a damp beauty blender to apply this; I pump once onto the back of my hand then apply small amounts to different parts of my face then work it in! It is full-coverage and completely covers my acne scars. I just started using the Born This Way Concealer by Too Faced and Huda Easy Bake in “Sugar Cookie” over this and my skin has never looked so good. It saddened me to read that this foundation made others break out, I have very sensitive skin and it doesn’t cause any problems for me.

on 7/30/2018 3:26:00 PM

The coverage is amazing! I suffer from really bad acne and usually struggle to cover it but this foundation covers it very well. It is very long lasting and can last a whole day, even coping through very sweaty raves. The only problem I have with this foundation is the finish, it always looks cakey which is a real bummer.

on 7/27/2018 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

$42.00 for 1 ounce

I do not have one redeeming thing to say about this foundation except that it is full coverage if you apply thickly. I hate everything about it. Two things I detest in a foundation is a bad scent and stickiness. This has both. I also don't like to be aware of it on my face and with this I am, all day long. The smell, chemical like, never goes away and it just feels heavy and drying even though do not have dry skin. I had no rash or breakout but it felt like it was mildly stinging me every time I worse it. It was just not comfortable. It remained sticky even when I used powder over it. It's very thick, dries very fast and not that easy to work with even with a sponge. It accentuates every pore and line and just looks like makeup face. I guess if you like very full coverage, don't mind the smell and don't care if it looks like your skin or better you might like it but this to me is worse than m\any drugstore makeups. After wearing it for a week and never changing my mind I gave up.

Description from Sephora:
A hyper-performance liquid foundation with flexible full coverage and up to 24-hour wear, available in 30 shades for a range of skin tones and undertones.

Lock-It Foundation gives you all the coverage you need to rock a flawless matte-not-flat canvas that stays waterproof, fade-proof, and transfer-resistant for up to 24 hours—no touch-ups necessary. This unique formula delivers flexible full coverage. All you have to do is adjust the amount of foundation you use to quickly and easily achieve your perfect finish, whether it’s natural, medium-to-full coverage, or a flawless full-coverage finish.

With a high-pigment foundation like Lock-It, a little goes a long way. Just one pea-size droplet provides natural, medium-to-full coverage with up to 24-hours of wear. Need to cover redness, blemishes, or discoloration? Simply add another droplet and build lightly to create a flawless, full-coverage finish. For perfect precision and seamless blending, apply with the Lock-It Edge Foundation Brush (sold separately).

Think you know Lock-It Foundation? Think again. Kat Von D’s hyper-performance vegan foundation has been a top-selling foundation for six years and counting—and it’s only getting better.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Phthalates

What else you need to know:
Kat Von D used an antique wax seal as the inspiration for the Lock-It Collection design.

This formula is oil-free and alcohol-free. Kat Von D products are vegan and cruelty-free.

Ingredients:
-Optical Diffusers: Treated pigments visually minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while increasing luminosity on the skin.
-Emollients: Impart excellent slip and playtime; ensure softness.
-Glycerin: Extremely hydrating.
-Siliconic Elastomers: Long-lasting esters with emollient properties; provide dry, semi-matte finish.
-Mattifying Powders: Texturing agent; increase powder effect and absorption properties.
-Siliconic Ester: Provides no-transfer properties.

on 7/21/2018 10:25:00 PM

The foundation itself is great. Very full coverage and transfer resistant. It is a buildable to full coverage base but there is a fine line between the perfect amount and being a streaky mess. A little practice and it’s fine i always used a beauty blender. I like her cosmetics but I don’t like who she is as a person so when I run out I will replace it with another line.

This foundation is extremely full coverage. I have combo skin, which is sometimes dry around my mouth/eyes and oily on my forehead and cheeks. I also have mild acne/acne scarring. This covers absolutely everything and has such a beautiful finish I don't even have to powder! The packaging has a pressurized chamber which means the product isn't exposed to air so will not oxidize and nothing will go to waste. There is a huge shade range, which all seem to be very yellow toned which is great for me but may not suit people with pink undertones, however. If you have acne/acne scarring or oily/combo skin this will be your bestfriend!