Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.7

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

I'd heard this foundation was excellent at covering up any redness/uneven skin tone which immediately interested me, and after deliberating for a while, this turned out to be the first high-end foundation that I purchased. This is one of the few foundations I have found that caters for very pale skin, which is great (I usually go for the palest shade in drugstore foundations/concealers - with this I went for the second palest (Light 42), which admittedly is a teeny bit too light for me).

Positives first - I love the packaging, very unique and pretty bottle which is both sturdy without weighing a tonne, and hygienic with it's chamber-like pump. It is very full coverage, concealed any redness and blends relatively easy (I always use the RT Miracle Complexion Sponge damp to apply any foundation/concealer).

Upon first applying it looks flawless, even and matte, my main issue is - it only stays that way for 2 hours or so. Beyond that mark it does begin to look cakey, thick, settles in even the finest of lines (even when my skin was in one of it's less-dry spells) and separates in others. It transfers onto my hands if I touch my face even lightly. I'm not too sure what skin type would benefit from this foundation as mine is combination and I find it both clings to dry patches and separates wherever you're more oily. I'm a bit gutted to say I won't be repurchasing as I had high hopes for this foundation and it hasn't lived up to them. I am trying to use it for another purpose as it was quite expensive and I'd rather not completely abandon it. I've attempted to use it as more of a concealer on areas where I really need coverage, and apply a creamier foundation over the top, or try and mix a tiny bit with another foundation that I need to make lighter. Using it like this makes it a lot easier to work with and eliminates some of the problems I mentioned earlier, however, that defeats the objective of the product in the first place.

I guess if you'd only need to be wearing it for an hour or so, it'd be fine, but for standard daily wear I'm really struggling to think of anyone I'd genuinely recommend it to.

on 9/17/2017 12:49:00 PM

Kat, babygirl why!! I first used this foundation when my acne was out of control, and was recommended this to cover up my redness. I liked it, for the first 30 minutes, then an hour later it looked SO CAKEY, it settled into fine lines I didn't even know existed! I was so embarrassed. I was so bummed!! I really felt it made me feel like my skin looked worse. I hope this works out better for others, just beware, maybe get a super impressive primer/setting spray. Air pump however is great! very mess-free and easy.

I want to say that I love Kat Von D's live. The products are incredibly pigmented, and the application of said products are superb.

That being said, I'm glad thatI only got a sample of the foundation instead of paying full price for a bottle. I had been wanting to get back into the foundation game for a while, and I thought that her foundation would be on par with her other products, but it just didn't work for me.

The first thing that put me off was the smell. For products that claim to be "vegan", The scent emitted was that of tempura paint - the texture was the same.

It was highly pigmented, and it covered everything including the mild rosacea on my cheeks. A little certainly goes a LONG way, and I think it might be a while before I will ever make my way through the sample.

As it was drying, my face felt stiff and mask - like. Anyhow, I concealed problem areas and powdered where I needed to and went about my day.

Again, I was reminded why I stayed away from foundation; especially anything full coverage. Not only did it crack and settle into fine lines, but my cheeks looked patchy and flaky. In some places, which includes areas where I was going for extra coverage.

I think if I had shelled out the $40, I would have been highly disappointed.

on 9/15/2017 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

No matter how many ways I have tried to apply this foundation, nothing works. Bought a new beauty blender and foundation brush to see if it would apply differently (it didn't). Even paired with Kat von D's primer, this product applies cakey and patchy, and after wearing it for a few hours, it separates on my nose and forehead, and sinks into the lines in my face.

I would not recommend this to those with dry skin as it does exaggerate dry patches. I'm glad I got a sample of this foundation first, I'll admit though, that a little will go a long way. I got about 5 uses out of the little Sephora sample jar.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

High coverage matte foundation, perfect for oily skin. I have combination skin and unfortunately this looked too dry on me and it looked like I had applied chalk on my face. I really like this foundation but it doesn't work well on me sadly. I even use my fingers to blend and apply it and it still looked too matte, almost chalky on me.

Pros:
high coverage
good price
matte finish
HD
erases all your imperfections
in photos your face looks perfect

Cons
Too matte/dry
settles into lines with time
cakey looking

on 9/11/2017 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this is my holy grail foundation that i've been using everyday for the past year. this is full coverage/buildable, non-oxidizing, easy to blend and long lasting. this is the PERFECT liquid foundation for those who need natural full coverage. looks awesome in photos. the shade range is awesome as there are many different shades with different undertones to choose from. another pro is that once you run out - YOU'RE OUT, and the bottle gets rid of every single drop. this lasts a good 3-4 months. i use 2 to 2 1/2 pumps with a silicone blending sponge everyday.

on 8/19/2017 7:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This does last longer than my other foundations but it's so hard to work with. It needs to be applied on very well prepped skin and then with a beauty blender (don't even bother with a brush) and even then takes a long time to blend in properly. If not careful, it will emphasise every bit of texture and I find quite difficult to blend well near my nose crevices. I'm putting it in the too hard basket.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I decided to try something different from my usual Estee Lauder Double Wear and bought this on a whim. I recommend having a sales consultant help swatch with you as I ended up with something way too light on my own and had to come back for a replacement shade. This stuff is 100% the most full coverage foundation I have ever used, one pump is enough to fully cover my face completely no extra concealer needed, I can even get away with using this as under eye concealer. To apply you definitely need to use a damp brush/beauty blender as it's a thicker formulation. Overall it holds up fairly well, not as long as DW but after 6 hours I definitely am looking dewy (but not oily).

on 8/30/2017 6:05:00 AM

Such a shame about this line as its vegan and a wide variety of shades. Unfortunately, the foundation itself is utterly useless. Yes, it does "lock in" but this makes it hard to blend across the skin as it dries very quickly. The biggest problem however is the constancy; while it is medium (definitely NOT full) coverage it will settle into EVERYTHING. As a poor individual with large pores and fine lines, I found out very quickly this foundation highlights every flaw upon my face. Very disappointed as I waited a long time to get this and spent more than I usually would on makeup. (As a disclaimer, yes, my face was moisturised and primed before use).

on 9/6/2017 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I still have this foundation but it doesn't get much use anymore for several reasons.

Pros:
-Probably one of the most full coverage foundations I've ever used, but when I apply it I still see my acne scars poking out, but still is very full coverage.
-Vegan and cruelty free.
-Very beautiful packaging.
-Very diverse shade range.

Cons:
-Pretty expensive! A little more than $40…I expected better quality for that price.
-Breaks down really easily. After a while of wear, I start to see cakiness especially around my chin and nose/upper lip. Upon initial application it looks really flawless, but it gets bad throughout the day.
-Doesn't control my oils….like at all. If I put this on before I leave to school and do the rest of the makeup, by the time I get to school I'm already kinda shiny (about an hour later).
-Even though it doesn't control my oils, it still manages to cling to drier patches of my skin. My skin was fine until I started going back to school and therefore wearing this every day! It caused the skin around my mouth to get dry. Ugh.
-It is NOT transfer proof. Especially when I'm getting oily and blot, a lot of my foundation is gone by the end of the school day. And I have to blot a LOT because it doesn't control oils.

Hopefully this helps.