Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation

Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation

3.7

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this foundation because I was desperately in need of a new foundation for a new theatre production I was in. I decided to go for this one because it was said to be waterproof on Sephora. The day it arrived, I decided to do a wear test for the whole day. I got compliments saying it looked great! As for the waterproofing, well, at the end of the day some personal matters caught up with me and I spent three hours (maybe more) in tears. My mascara left lines on my face, but my foundation was still as flawless as ever.
My only note for this foundation, however, is that it's so full coverage and makes my skin look so perfect that I don't look human, I have to contour my features in with a heavier hand.

on 2/24/2018 12:45:00 PM

I am trying to find a nice foundation that lasts but doesn't look cakey or dry.
To boot, I am 41, dry (flaky in winter) and sensitive skin (but not the normal sensitive) due to rosacea

I tried a sample of KVD light warm 43.

My first impression....
in the store, I love everything about the bottle (airless container is a ++++)
I used a brush to buff the product onto my skin. defiantly less is more with this one
It had a nice match to my skin (blended nicely into my neck color)
it felt very heavy and fake and exaggerated all my pores and I couldn't wait to take it off.

Pros:
nice match to my skintone
awesome bottle

Cons:
looks cakey/fake
too matte
exaggerated my pores
felt heavy on my skin

My other favorite foundation other then Giorgio Armani, this is def. a drying foundation so put on some hydrating primer or do what I do and mix it with farsali gold oil. It does give you acne if you leave it on, so make sure to take it all off when you're going to bed :) if you have dry skin like I do make sure to exfoliate before putting it on and be sure to mix It with something hydrating

Amazing, gorgeous ultra full coverage foundation with a velvet matte finish.

I use the shade Light 43 Warm as my foundation and Light 41 Neutral as my concealer. The Lock It foundation offers more coverage than the Lock It Concealer Creme and actually sets in place better. I experience full coverage and minimal creasing while using the foundation as a concealer whereas the actual Lock It Concealer Creme is more creamy and I did experience noticeable creasing. If you desire a creamier and more hydrating formula for the under eye area than the concealer could be the better choice. Lock It Foundation is something of a paradox because whilst it boasts an ultra full coverage, matte finish, transfer resistance and oil-controlling properties which are desirable and trendy qualities it seems to be a very polarizing formula. It seems like you either love it or hate it. Some people who have super oily and textured skin have experienced issues with this accentuating large pores, transferring, not keeping them matte all day etc. On the opposite end of the spectrum people will complain this adheres to dry patches and looks like a mask. The demographic which Kat Von D targets with this foundation seems to be the ones experiencing the bulk of the issues which explains why people give up on this so easily. The contradictory nature of the Lock It Foundation means that those seeking the ultra full coverage glam look but don't actually suffer from significant skin concerns enjoy it the most. My tips are as following:

1) Use a primer that targets your particular skin concerns whether it is oiliness, dryness, large pores, smoothing, hydrating etc.
2) Use a tool that is designed for thick foundations like a beauty blender, Bobbi Brown Full Coverage Face Brush, Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
3) Don't use too much
4) Set it with the appropriate powder for your skin type. If you are dry skinned than use an "effect" powder like the Too Faced Ethereal Setting Powder or Nars Light Reflecting Loose Powder. Avoid heavy powders that mattify because it will look dry and powdery.
5) Resist the urge to be a face toucher

Perfect for covering acne scars. Was hoping this could be my holy grail foundation but it felt so heavy and sticky on my skin. I think the scent is very similar to sun cream which I hate.

on 1/18/2018 2:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my all time favourite "going out" foundation. Completely full coverage and covers ALL of my acne and scarring.

I have really really oily skin and this is the only foundation I have EVER used that actually stays on for 6+ hours without a touch up. I usually wear it with a primer underneath (smashbox OG one) and set it with Hourglass dim light and the staying power is a dream.

Pretty good shade selection for my skin tone, I didn't have any trouble finding a shade to match (light-medium, yellow undertones).

The only problem with this foundation is that it CAN give me breakouts (I have acne prone skin as well), but I only rarely use it so this is not a big issue, and it actually covers break outs I already have like a dream as well. Despite this, I continue to repurchase it as my acne is largely related to hormones and excessive oil production rather than any specific makeup. This foundation has so many pros which outweigh this one con (especially since I only wear it occasionally).

Beware of this foundation if you are looking for an everyday foundation and you have acne prone skin, but 100% buy it if is only for occasional use (going out, weddings, parties etc).

on 1/12/2018 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Perfect foundation for those who want a heavy full coverage. Easy to use bottle and packaging quite light compared to many others like Fenty beauty and YSL ones.

This is really thick in consistency and would suit people with acne scars like myself who would like a good coverage foundation without the need for concealer I only used 2 pumps and it covered my face without need of concealer. I used a stippling brush.

If you have good skin however I wouldn't recommend as it is a heavy coverage.

on 1/9/2018 9:08:00 PM

If you have very oily skin...this is for you!

This has a veeery thick consistency, so on normal combination skin it looks and turns out a bit chalky. I like the coverage, it's amazing, but a little too dry for me to continue wearing this. I like it but just not for me sadly.

on 12/31/2017 1:23:00 AM

UGH - another KVD product that bombs! There was nothing I liked about this foundation. I tried it numerous times and it dries way too quick so you can't blend it out. If you want full coverage out if it you also have to layer it and then it feels very heavy. I really can;t say anything good about it. Revlon Color-Stay is what i normally use and it works SO much better, plus is way more affordable.

on 12/30/2017 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Lock It is a nice, medium-full coverage foundation. It is quite thick, but I only use about one pump to cover my whole face. If I want a fuller coverage I will add another half pump. It layers easily, and doesn’t look cakey or thick on the face. I apply this using a dense kabuki product to buff the product into my skin. It also applies well using a beauty blender. It doesn’t oxidise either. I am NC15 and use the shade Light 45 Warm in Lock It. It is a good match on my skin. This foundation lasts well through the heat and humidity, it doesn’t sweat off or smear. It sets well, and a light layer of translucent powder keeps it matte all day. It is reasonably priced and a very good product. I highly recommend it!