Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation

Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation

3.7

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

I have oily skin, very acne-prone with some scarring on the sides of my face. A friend had recommended this foundation to me and I was nervous at first, it felt so thick and I was just hoping it wouldn’t break me out.
After some trial and error (do not use a foundation brush with this) I fell in love! I picked the 41 neutral shade which is perfect for my skin tone. Definitely use a damp beauty blender to apply this; I pump once onto the back of my hand then apply small amounts to different parts of my face then work it in! It is full-coverage and completely covers my acne scars. I just started using the Born This Way Concealer by Too Faced and Huda Easy Bake in “Sugar Cookie” over this and my skin has never looked so good. It saddened me to read that this foundation made others break out, I have very sensitive skin and it doesn’t cause any problems for me.

on 7/30/2018 3:26:00 PM

The coverage is amazing! I suffer from really bad acne and usually struggle to cover it but this foundation covers it very well. It is very long lasting and can last a whole day, even coping through very sweaty raves. The only problem I have with this foundation is the finish, it always looks cakey which is a real bummer.

on 7/27/2018 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

$42.00 for 1 ounce

I do not have one redeeming thing to say about this foundation except that it is full coverage if you apply thickly. I hate everything about it. Two things I detest in a foundation is a bad scent and stickiness. This has both. I also don't like to be aware of it on my face and with this I am, all day long. The smell, chemical like, never goes away and it just feels heavy and drying even though do not have dry skin. I had no rash or breakout but it felt like it was mildly stinging me every time I worse it. It was just not comfortable. It remained sticky even when I used powder over it. It's very thick, dries very fast and not that easy to work with even with a sponge. It accentuates every pore and line and just looks like makeup face. I guess if you like very full coverage, don't mind the smell and don't care if it looks like your skin or better you might like it but this to me is worse than m\any drugstore makeups. After wearing it for a week and never changing my mind I gave up.

Description from Sephora:
A hyper-performance liquid foundation with flexible full coverage and up to 24-hour wear, available in 30 shades for a range of skin tones and undertones.

Lock-It Foundation gives you all the coverage you need to rock a flawless matte-not-flat canvas that stays waterproof, fade-proof, and transfer-resistant for up to 24 hours—no touch-ups necessary. This unique formula delivers flexible full coverage. All you have to do is adjust the amount of foundation you use to quickly and easily achieve your perfect finish, whether it’s natural, medium-to-full coverage, or a flawless full-coverage finish.

With a high-pigment foundation like Lock-It, a little goes a long way. Just one pea-size droplet provides natural, medium-to-full coverage with up to 24-hours of wear. Need to cover redness, blemishes, or discoloration? Simply add another droplet and build lightly to create a flawless, full-coverage finish. For perfect precision and seamless blending, apply with the Lock-It Edge Foundation Brush (sold separately).

Think you know Lock-It Foundation? Think again. Kat Von D’s hyper-performance vegan foundation has been a top-selling foundation for six years and counting—and it’s only getting better.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Phthalates

What else you need to know:
Kat Von D used an antique wax seal as the inspiration for the Lock-It Collection design.

This formula is oil-free and alcohol-free. Kat Von D products are vegan and cruelty-free.

Ingredients:
-Optical Diffusers: Treated pigments visually minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while increasing luminosity on the skin.
-Emollients: Impart excellent slip and playtime; ensure softness.
-Glycerin: Extremely hydrating.
-Siliconic Elastomers: Long-lasting esters with emollient properties; provide dry, semi-matte finish.
-Mattifying Powders: Texturing agent; increase powder effect and absorption properties.
-Siliconic Ester: Provides no-transfer properties.

on 7/21/2018 10:25:00 PM

The foundation itself is great. Very full coverage and transfer resistant. It is a buildable to full coverage base but there is a fine line between the perfect amount and being a streaky mess. A little practice and it’s fine i always used a beauty blender. I like her cosmetics but I don’t like who she is as a person so when I run out I will replace it with another line.

This foundation is extremely full coverage. I have combo skin, which is sometimes dry around my mouth/eyes and oily on my forehead and cheeks. I also have mild acne/acne scarring. This covers absolutely everything and has such a beautiful finish I don't even have to powder! The packaging has a pressurized chamber which means the product isn't exposed to air so will not oxidize and nothing will go to waste. There is a huge shade range, which all seem to be very yellow toned which is great for me but may not suit people with pink undertones, however. If you have acne/acne scarring or oily/combo skin this will be your bestfriend!

on 7/15/2018 1:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this foundation!!! I wore it to my graduation, which was outside in the summer in NYC so very hot & humid- however it didn't budge at all !!! My face looked just as good by the end of the day as it did right after application. It is incredibly thick (definitely not a natural look) and absolutely full coverage, a little goes a long way and you probably won't need to use concealer with it. I would suggest using the testers at sephora to find your shade & using a flat top foundation brush to apply it. I did not have any problems with this oxidizing either.

I have and enjoy the Lock-It powder foundation, but have been on the hunt for a liquid foundation for my very fair, scarred skin. This seemed like an obvious choice. L42 was the correct tone, albeit a bit too yellow (whereas L41 was too light and too pink). I was shade matched to NW10 at MAC, but I had a slight chemical burn at the time. I think I'm normally pretty neutral, even leaning slightly yellow.

On to the texture: it's basically paint. Out of curiosity, I turned the sample jar upside-down with the lid open and it didn't move. My first test of this was a failure, and I thought that my sample had probably dried out, so I had a new one made. Nope; it's really just that thick. My skin is neither oily nor dry, and I moisturize lightly before applying foundation. So really I cannot explain how it looked as horrible as it did. The second time around, I applied with a damp beauty blender and it seemed to dry almost immediately, making blending impossible. I like to go heavier on my cheeks (the location of my scars) and blend out to nothing around my eyes and forehead, but there was a disgusting border of weird patchiness at the edges. The more I tried to fix it, the worse it looked. I left the house not very happy with how it was sitting on my face, but not feeling totally hideous (yet). Imagine my horror when I glimpsed myself in a mirror two hours later out in public and the foundation had completely separated on my chin and around my nose. It was truly a hot mess.

Also of note: when I removed this after only four hours of wear, five new whiteheads were revealed.

Maybe it's possible to make this foundation look good, but I have neither the patience nor money to spare to do so, so Sayonara to my hopes and dreams of a full-coverage pale foundation.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I actually hated this foundation.

I have very oily and pale skin, after about 1 or 2 hours wear this would oxidize and be a much darker orange shade on me, so not a match at all and my face would literally be *wet* to the touch. And if I was to touch my face, even a light tap or to brush a stand of hair off my face, it would completely come off leaving a bare patch of skin showing through.

I'd spend 90% of my day feeling extremely self conscious, so gave up less than a quarter into the bottle.

I would never recommend this.

on 5/20/2018 11:39:00 PM

Hands down the best foundation I've used so far. In the beginning, I had some reservations about the thick, creamy texture, as opposed to other liquid foundations (was afraid of it clogging pores, looking overly made-up etc.). But for its super good staying power, I could deal with that (just gotta cleanse more thoroughly when I remove make-up). This foundation lives up to its claim of "LOCK-IT", cos seriously, it stays matte for an entire day for me and I have combi skin that breaks out with oil at my T-zone usually by mid-day (even with the MUFE HD Foundation). It does oxidise a teeny bit darker than when it first sits on your skin but not much issues with that (not as bad as Fenty's) as long as you set sufficiently with powder after applying. I'm a bit hesitant about applying too much under the eye area because of its thick texture so I gotta spend more effort to blend seamlessly with my undereye concealer formula (I'm not using the Kat Von D concealer maybe that's why). May appear streaky if you simply use a brush so i find that using both a brush and a sponge applies best.

Slight setback would be the packaging but it's not a dealbreaker given the pros. Basically, I find that the nozzle clogs up a little too much (and because of its thick texture). It's also difficult to wipe clean because of the way the nozzle and the pump is in-built into the bottle. You'd probably know what I mean if you head to a beauty store and check out the testers. Also, I know some people may have issue with the sorta-cheap plastic material (some prefer glass-ish kinda bottles), but I'm good with that cos it means I don't have to worry about breaking it or anything when I bring it around.

on 5/9/2018 10:47:00 AM

You definitely have to work this foundation but when you do, and you find the way your skin likes it, it looks great. It lives up to what it says, it is 100% a full coverage matte foundation. I gave it a 3 for the packaging. This bottle is enormous. The amount of product is just as any other foundation so I find it unnecessary for the container to be so bulky.

Onto the product. I have dry skin so I was pretty scared to give this a try. I have found 1 foundation that worked with my skin and it broke me out (MAC) so I was looking to try another. I don't particularly like to look as if I am even wearing make up but would like my skin to look blurred and just healthier so that scared me also. First impression, holy s*** dryness to the max. I expected this I was just hoping it wouldn't be as bad as it was. I moisturized a lot before applying and it really made no difference. I went to Sephora and one of the artists told me to try mixing it with a facial oil, I am so glad she did! It looks SO GOOD when mixed with an oil. I use the drunken elephant virgin marula oil myself, it just works great with my skin. Application: I use my fingers to apply this since I don't have any interest in layering or getting a super great coverage. I have used a brush, definitely get better coverage but it tends to leave streaks so I think a damp beauty blender is the way to go! I apply 1 pump of the foundation to a mirror for mixing and one drop of the marula facial oil and mix it around with my finger and I start by rubbing it into the skin but I also press it after I smooth it over every where I want it. Pressing helps the oil set better. If it looks like I've used too much oil I just go over a tiny bit with setting powder but I rarely need to. I would rather use too much oil than the foundation because once its dry, its dry!

This foundation can do it all for any skin type if you can find some tricks that work for yours! I know it sucks having to experiment so much but it's worth it in the end. Also, as with any foundation I recommend getting a couple of samples and wearing it for a few days before purchasing just to see how your skin will react.