Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation

Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation

3.7

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I actually hated this foundation.

I have very oily and pale skin, after about 1 or 2 hours wear this would oxidize and be a much darker orange shade on me, so not a match at all and my face would literally be *wet* to the touch. And if I was to touch my face, even a light tap or to brush a stand of hair off my face, it would completely come off leaving a bare patch of skin showing through.

I'd spend 90% of my day feeling extremely self conscious, so gave up less than a quarter into the bottle.

I would never recommend this.

on 5/20/2018 11:39:00 PM

Hands down the best foundation I've used so far. In the beginning, I had some reservations about the thick, creamy texture, as opposed to other liquid foundations (was afraid of it clogging pores, looking overly made-up etc.). But for its super good staying power, I could deal with that (just gotta cleanse more thoroughly when I remove make-up). This foundation lives up to its claim of "LOCK-IT", cos seriously, it stays matte for an entire day for me and I have combi skin that breaks out with oil at my T-zone usually by mid-day (even with the MUFE HD Foundation). It does oxidise a teeny bit darker than when it first sits on your skin but not much issues with that (not as bad as Fenty's) as long as you set sufficiently with powder after applying. I'm a bit hesitant about applying too much under the eye area because of its thick texture so I gotta spend more effort to blend seamlessly with my undereye concealer formula (I'm not using the Kat Von D concealer maybe that's why). May appear streaky if you simply use a brush so i find that using both a brush and a sponge applies best.

Slight setback would be the packaging but it's not a dealbreaker given the pros. Basically, I find that the nozzle clogs up a little too much (and because of its thick texture). It's also difficult to wipe clean because of the way the nozzle and the pump is in-built into the bottle. You'd probably know what I mean if you head to a beauty store and check out the testers. Also, I know some people may have issue with the sorta-cheap plastic material (some prefer glass-ish kinda bottles), but I'm good with that cos it means I don't have to worry about breaking it or anything when I bring it around.

on 5/9/2018 10:47:00 AM

You definitely have to work this foundation but when you do, and you find the way your skin likes it, it looks great. It lives up to what it says, it is 100% a full coverage matte foundation. I gave it a 3 for the packaging. This bottle is enormous. The amount of product is just as any other foundation so I find it unnecessary for the container to be so bulky.

Onto the product. I have dry skin so I was pretty scared to give this a try. I have found 1 foundation that worked with my skin and it broke me out (MAC) so I was looking to try another. I don't particularly like to look as if I am even wearing make up but would like my skin to look blurred and just healthier so that scared me also. First impression, holy s*** dryness to the max. I expected this I was just hoping it wouldn't be as bad as it was. I moisturized a lot before applying and it really made no difference. I went to Sephora and one of the artists told me to try mixing it with a facial oil, I am so glad she did! It looks SO GOOD when mixed with an oil. I use the drunken elephant virgin marula oil myself, it just works great with my skin. Application: I use my fingers to apply this since I don't have any interest in layering or getting a super great coverage. I have used a brush, definitely get better coverage but it tends to leave streaks so I think a damp beauty blender is the way to go! I apply 1 pump of the foundation to a mirror for mixing and one drop of the marula facial oil and mix it around with my finger and I start by rubbing it into the skin but I also press it after I smooth it over every where I want it. Pressing helps the oil set better. If it looks like I've used too much oil I just go over a tiny bit with setting powder but I rarely need to. I would rather use too much oil than the foundation because once its dry, its dry!

This foundation can do it all for any skin type if you can find some tricks that work for yours! I know it sucks having to experiment so much but it's worth it in the end. Also, as with any foundation I recommend getting a couple of samples and wearing it for a few days before purchasing just to see how your skin will react.

on 5/7/2018 3:19:00 PM

I love the powder foundation in this line, but I use it up too fast for the price (IMO) so I decided to try the liquid.

I’m 41, not too many fine lines yet because I’m also still incredibly oily. No blemishes, but I was acne prone, mildly, when I was younger.

It has some good points. It looks lovely if you use a small amount blended out fast with a damp blender. A tiny bit goes a LONG way. I had some mixed feelings on that- I usually use a B.B. cream type coverage applied with fingers because I’m both lazy and don’t need full coverage. So, it is more of a chore to get looking nice than my usual routine. It dries super fast and inclined to be streaky if you’re not careful.

(I completely grant that it is marketed as a full coverage matte foundation and that nitpick is totally on me!)

Good selection of colors, heavily weighted in the lighter end of the spectrum. My 45 Warm powder looked a bit cooler and darker in liquid form but was close enough to call a decent match and wear. I’m probably about NC20 in MAC these days.

I set it with loose powder, KVD Lock It also, in fact. Looked great for about 4 hours.

Then, I got even oilier than I usually do, midday, and it broke down a little- about 5 hours in. It didn’t break down horribly, just a bit, but the oil factor was hardcore. I could have touched it up probably, with some blotting and smoothing and more loose powder. I didn’t have my powder so I just blotted. I for some reason got oily AGAIN in a couple hours. Which isn’t usually a thing if I blot.

Anyway. The worst of it was, it broke me out worse than anything else has in a decade. So. Bad. One deep cystic acne spot on the chin and about 7 small whiteheads on my cheek near my nose and a few on the chin and forehead for good measure. I have no idea why. No obvious culprit. Luckily as soon as I wiped it off my skin calmed right down and was fine a couple days later. The cystic one started de-puffing literally within minutes of being freed of the makeup, was a tiny spot the next day and gone fully the second day.

I might use it again with something between it and my skin to see how that goes, but probably not. Too bad! Back to the powder I guess.

I do wonder if it’s the “lock-it” feature that my skin hated. It took two face wipes and a crapload of Argan oil to remove- far more settled into my skin than other foundations.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am trying to find a foundation to replace my EL DW. I received a sample from Sephora to try. I love the coverage of this foundation compared to EL DW. I hardly used any foundation to cover my dark spots, that is a huge plus.

I used moisturizer and Benefit Poprofessional before applying Kat Von D and after 2 hours, the foundation settled into all my pores and fine lines. I removed it and tried my DDF primer, better but not by much. I did notice after 8 hours my natural oils mixed and it looked better but I did not like the feel of this foundation.

It is thick formula, but not so heavy on the face.

Pro: full coverage and a little goes long way. The price is decent, but this will last a long time so the price is not something I would consider.

Con: settled into my fine lines, smile lines, and my pores were exaggerated worse than EL DW. I looked dull.

on 4/28/2018 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I didn't like this foundation at first but applied on a well moisturised face over a silicone primer using a damp beauty bender this foundation gives a lovely satin matte full coverage finish. I can see why this is so popular in its target market. I did not need any concealer. It took me a while to figure out how to get the best from it as you really need to pat it in to your skin with a stippling brush and then the damp beauty blender . It can dry and tighten after application and I did get some cracking around the smile lines after an over enthusiastic application but as the day progessed it seemed to melt in to my skin and repair itself as it became more flexible. You can wear this for a day at work, as I did, but it really needs to be as part of a full make up look to add colour and shape back to your face.
It also was also veryeffective at keeping my lip stick in place. The colour stayed true but I don't think it is quite as durable as ELDW as there was some seperation on my forehead after 10 hours A great party foundation for young skin but it can settle into forehead lines if you have them like I do. Take care to apply it properly and you won't be disappointed.

on 4/26/2018 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My absolute HG foundation, I really can't stress enough how good this foundation is but let's go point by point.

I have oily skin with occasional spots and enlarged pores on my forehead, nose and cheeks. And this foundations covers all of that without the use of a primer! I just use a regular moisturizer and then a very thin layer of this foundation and it covers everything, and most importantly for me, my enlarged pores.

I always powder my liquid foundation, so this one is no exception even though it really dries matte. But this foundation is any exception in that it stays put, really properly put. Does not fade or simply disappear an does not go patchy.

You get a lot of coverage from a very thin layer already but you can also build it up to full coverage very easily without it going cakey. And it never piles up in my fine lines.

Really, this is such a good foundation that will last you a long while with it being so pigmented you only need a tiny bit to achieve very good coverage. Plus it comes in superpale, so this is the first time in my life I don't need to add a white mixer to my foundation.

And it's cruelty-free and vegan. Love. It.

on 4/14/2018 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm 63 and I thought, "this foundation is totally out of my league" because full coverage must mean "hello lines," right? Wrong.

i have overall facial redness and most foundations leave me looking like "base face" but THIS little miracle worked actually blends into my neck.

I mix 42 and 44 and I MUST use Kat's Hydrating Primer to mix with the foundation and underneath. No other primer will do!

I'm left with smooth, even skin. And I do use a damp Beauty Blender, not a brush.

I don't look cakey or even overly made-up.

While the initial investment is a little $high$, I'll have a lot of product for a long time. Plus the airless pump is fantastic!

This is my go to foundation. It is so pigmented yet it doesn't go cakey. It applys beautifully with a thick brush or damp beauty blender. This foundation lasts for hours and does not crease at all! This is one of my most favourite purchases from sephora. Would highly recommend!

on 3/14/2018 9:45:00 PM

I brought this foundation because i was in need of something more full coverage that would not budge during a night out!
This foundation is amazing i used Sephora 8hr wear prior to this and it wasn't building enough for full coverage.
I loved the container and packaging.
This product is so full coverage and waterproof that i can go to work all day and for a swim after and it is still looking good by night time no need to reapply.
The only issue i did have with it was the foundation separating on my skin with an oily silicone based primer but as soon as i bought a water based primer it stuck perfectly.
Would buy again!