MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

Filtered by hair type : Straight
MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35
MAC BBPrep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.40%, Octisalate 4.00%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titanium Dioxide 1.10%, Zinc Oxide 3.50% Other Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Sterate, Behenyl Alcohol, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, PEG-40 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caffeine, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Urea, Sodium Hyluronate, Squalane, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract,/Extrait D’orge, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Glycerin, Lecithin, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Cholesterol, Trehalose, Sodium PCA, Oryzanol, Ammonium Acryloydimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Sucrose, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Xanthan Gum, Polyquaternium-51, Isopropyl Titanium Triisosterate, Silica, Aluminum Stearate, Linoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphensin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I have nothing bad to say about this BB. Most of the time BB creams have been too dark, greasy or light coverage for me. I think I generally like something with light to medium coverage but something that looks like skin. This is literally the first BB cream I like. My skintype is dry on winter and a somewhat more combination on the summer. And the lightest shade is perfect for me. Another complexion makeup I like is the Bobbi Brown skin foundation and Bobbi Brown stick foundation, but those are more expensive than this one. I also like MAC face and body but I find that one a bit too sticky to feel and sometimes too sheer. This one blurs more than face and body. I really love this and I will repurchase.

on 6/18/2015 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I LOVE the way this looks on my skin. I usually don't like BB creams because they are too greasy. The "BB cream" moniker has become so trendy that every brand has one, and it may even become passe due to some companies developing "CC creams" and even "DD creams." These tinted moisturizers have more antioxidants, higher SPF factors, and sometimes other benefits, but they are still TMs. This is one of the best I've tried.

PROS:

Natural-looking. Light Plus is my perfect shade and people compliment my skin when I wear this, so apparently it doesn't look like makeup. And my skin is not perfect!

The tube packaging is my favorite for travel.

The SPF 35 is part titanium dioxide. My sensitive skin needs mineral sunscreens. (Unfortunately it's not purely mineral.)

I like the amount of coverage; it's enough that I can use it instead of foundation.

The price is $30 versus the higher prices I normally pay for department store foundation.

Does not fade or get oily and lasts for several hours (my skin type is combination, not super oily)

Does not break me out.

Contains sodium hyaluronate which fills in fine lines and makes your skin look smoother. I look for this ingredient now.

Fragrance free

CONS:

Some of the active SPF ingredients are chemical in addition to mineral. I wish it didn't have oxybenzone in it. Mineral sunscreens are the safest for sensitive skin.

It doesn't have the coverage of Hourglass Immaculate Powder Foundation or Le Metier de Beaute Classic Flawless Finish foundation. But the coverage is great for a tinted moisturizer.

It is really best for normal to oily skin, or skin that is slightly dry. It happens to look great on me with my combination skin, but there is a tendency to market products to all skin types and that simply isn't realistic.

Tip: no need to use a primer- this IS your primer. It performs best on bare skin as your first layer, if not your only layer.

PROS: Works okay as a primer, which is one of the things MAC says it can be. A definitely dewy finish, even when worn under foundation. If you have a good setting powder and wanted to use this as a primer, it could work. More color choices now (6 or 7) than there used to be. I am N15 (more neutral), and light plus was pefect for me. SPF 35.

CONS: The other things, besides priming, that MAC says this can do is to be worn alone. I disagree, unless you already have practically perfect skin. It makes my acne scars, red marks, and the slightest dryness to my skin stand out so badly. And although it has 6 or 7 different colors now, that's still pretty limited, especially for tone (like cool/warm.) And although I actually like a more dewy finish, this comes off SO easily. I can't emphasize that enough. I've worn a lot of foundations, TMs, etc., that don't practically melt off just sitting still. The price is quite high for a BB. The packaging doesn't allow the bottle to be stored standing on its own (the top is rounded).

ALTERNATES: I tried this because their TM is now discontinued, and the new version won't be out until early April 2015. (By the way, a different SA told me they are not making a new version at all. So who knows?) But for a primer, the texture of this would be comparable to Monistat chafing gel, except it has color. And the Monistat only costs about $6. But my makeup didn't last longer, like it does with the Monistat; in fact, it ran/transferred off my face much quicker.

TheBalm TimeBalm tinted moisturizer, which is so kind to my wrinkles and pores and stays on much better than this.

APPLICATION TIPS: I used Covergirl Advanced Radiance Age-Defying powder (which is so kind to my wrinkles) after this product sets a bit to make it last longer.

on 2/10/2015 1:37:00 AM

Really disappointed with this product. I have dry skin and quite large pores on my nose and chin, which I always managed to cover quite well with Clinique foundations. But Clinique don't sell a shade light enough for my skin now so I went for this one. It just makes my pores look huge and just doesn't blend at all. I tried applying with a brush and with fingers but neither helped. I tried to put my Clinique Chubby Stick blusher on over it but it the BB cream just slid off! I definitely would not buy this one again. Shame as I love a lot of Mac products.

on 10/11/2014 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is my first experience with a "foundation" from MAC. I wanted to be colored matched and the gal at MAC was like: BB cream is for you. I matched as Light Plus (that's me with a tan...so I'm fair)

I love this BB cream. I would say it's medium coverage, but buildable. Seldom do I need to add concealer...except when I have a zit that needs a little more coverage. I apply with either my fingers, beauty blender or even with my foundation brush. I love how it looks regards of which technique I used to apply.

I use this with primer, either Hourglass, Smashbox or It Cosmetics. Wear all day at work. I use Tarte's setting powder over this BB cream.

Applies smoothly without tugging at that skin. Sets/dries quickly and doesn't break me out. I do find I like this when my skin isn't behaving due to coverage.

I actually don't use this as a BB cream but rather an eyeshadow primer! I probably wouldn't use this as a BB cream as I got it from my sister who is at least 4 shades lighter than me. I couldn't live without this stuff as an eyeshadow primer. I've tried UD primer potion, collection 1000, and nothing has been able to keep my makeup on my (extremely) oily lids like this baby has. A little goes a long way with this too! I've had this for at least two years and I'm only now running out. One lippie off because as a BB cream it sucks, but as an eyeshadow primer it's fantastic!

on 8/9/2014 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

No, no, and no. I so wanted to love this but it just didn't happen. The MAC SA suggested this when we couldn't find a suitable replacement for the DC'd Mineralize Satinfinish SPF 15 Foundation. I tried it with and without moisturizer, and it didn't work for me, either way. It's the thickest BB cream I've bought, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get it to blend perfectly. I also gave it a 2 for packaging because the top has rounded edges, so you can't stand it up like most BB creams.

on 6/6/2014 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

6 Jun, 25 Celsius, sun, summer-like hot: I am writing a review after wearing this BB cream for 11 hr. I have to say I am utterly pleased with the performance of this cream. I primed my skin with Afrodita skin care line for oily skin (cream and serum). Upon the initial application of the BB Cream my minor imperfections were covered, skin's surface looked smoother and the present redness was less prominent. My skin looked natural, healthy and as I always wanted it to look: pretty. I so wish a day could come when I will not have to bother myself with foundations/BB creams/tinted moisturizers. I haven't set the cream with a powder, touched up during the day nor have I blotted my skin. As the day passed the cream started to fade, but nevertheless it looked still nice. Now, 11 hr after, there is no BB cream left on my nose and there is some redness present around my nose on the cheek area. The BB cream stayed put on my forehead, cheeks and chin. The overall look of my face, after those 11 hours, is still nice - like I am having a good skin day.

I would recommend this BB cream to any skin type. I got only one pimple (could be due the hot weather and sebum since I haven't cleaned my face for half a day) and haven't got any cystic acne or allergic reaction. This BB cream performed well and lived up to my expectations. Though it is pricey I think I may repurchase it when I run out of it - if I manage to find a MAC store. This BB cream offers very light to light coverage. A good budget dupe is Bourjois BB cream which offers slightly more coverage.

The color is neutral and for the first time it matches my natural skintone so good that it is unbelievable. I have a slightly yellow undertone and pink/peach/beige looks horrible on me.

My color matches: Bourjois 123 51/31, Bobbi Brown 02 Sand, MAC PLW NC20. I bought Light Plus.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I received a sample of this a few months ago and it has lasted forever! I think I'm ready to purchase the full size after being consistently impressed with this product. Pros: SPF is fairly high, the color matches my skin after the original "zombie" look of BB creams, and the packaging is great. Cons: you have to really exfoliate your skin well to make this BB work. It looks patchy and uneven if you don't. Also, you will have a whitish "zombie" look initially, but for whatever reason, the product darkens after about 10 minutes to a nice, flat finish.

EDIT: After using this a week, I found that it really dried my skin. There were patchy areas on my cheeks and I could never get it fully blended into my skin, despite the fact that I exfoliated first. I returned this BB cream.

I am 49, oily skin, large pores in t-zone, NW25. I decided to take a chance and change from my old standby MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus. I was looking for something to wear under my powder plus to cover my pores.

This product works very very well for making my pores less noticeable. I'm wearing this in Medium. It's a good match for my skin tone. I've been using Clarins sunless tanner on my face and Meduim matches my face now, and I'm certain it will with no tanner. The color is versatile in my opinion. It has a good 'range' of color.

I get a little oily during the day, nothing blotting papers won't fix. I'm not using the Powder Plus over this, I don't need to. It gives beautiful coverage, I use a wedge sponge.

I'm very pleased, and not being a huge fan of BB creams, this was a very welcomed surprise.