MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35
MAC BBPrep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

3.5

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.40%, Octisalate 4.00%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titanium Dioxide 1.10%, Zinc Oxide 3.50% Other Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Sterate, Behenyl Alcohol, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, PEG-40 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caffeine, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Urea, Sodium Hyluronate, Squalane, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract,/Extrait D’orge, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Glycerin, Lecithin, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Cholesterol, Trehalose, Sodium PCA, Oryzanol, Ammonium Acryloydimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Sucrose, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Xanthan Gum, Polyquaternium-51, Isopropyl Titanium Triisosterate, Silica, Aluminum Stearate, Linoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphensin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 11/3/2012 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Just to let you all know, this product is exactly the same as the Clinique BB cream, which has many more reviews for you to explore. I only put on my MAC BB for the first time today, but upon realizing it smelled and felt familiar - just like my Clinique BB - I looked up the ingredients of both and compared them. The ingredient lists for both contain about 99.9% the same ingredients, in very close to the same order (which means very close to the same proportions of each ingredient), as you can see below. I read through both lists and the only ingredient I can find at ALL that's in one but not the other is the aluminum hydroxide way toward the end of the list on the Clinique one.

So, if you can't find a shade match in one, try the other. If you can find a match in both, like me (the lightest shade of each) - the Clinique one is cheaper! And for what it's worth, I really like both. :) I am normally N/NW10 - very pale and neutral leaning cool-toned.

Clinique Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30 [$37 USD for 1.4 oz, or $21.43/oz]: Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.50%, Octisalate 4.00%, Zinc Oxide 3.50%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titaniium Dioxide 1.1.0% Other Ingredients: water, dimethicone, butylene glycol, phenyl trimethicone, pentylene glycol, glyceryl stearate, behenyl alcofol, trioctyldodecyl citrate, polymethylsilsesquioxane, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, PEG-40 stearate, polyglyceryl -10 pentastearate, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, Hordeum vulgare (barley extract), extract dorge, Triticum Vulgare (wheat germm extract), Laminaria saccharina extract, Linoleic Acid, Oryzanol, cholesterol, caffeine, sucrose, glycerin, Polyquaternium-51, lecithin, Sodium stearoyl lactylate, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Sodium PCA, Isopropyl titanium triisostearate, Trehalose, urea, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Xanthan Gum, Glycyrrhetinic acid, stearic acid, Aluminum hydroxide, silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica

MAC Prep + Prime Beauty Balm SPF 35 [$30 USD for 1 oz]: Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.40%, Octisalate 4.00%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titanium Dioxide 1.10%, Zinc Oxide 3.50% Other Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Sterate, Behenyl Alcohol, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, PEG-40 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caffeine, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Urea, Sodium Hyluronate, Squalane, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract,/Extrait Dorge, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Glycerin, Lecithin, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Cholesterol, Trehalose, Sodium PCA, Oryzanol, Ammonium Acryloydimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Sucrose, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Xanthan Gum, Polyquaternium-51, Isopropyl Titanium Triisosterate, Silica, Aluminum Stearate, Linoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphensin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I chose near-perfect circumstances to give this beauty balm cream (one of the gazillions available in the Asian market!) a shot. Started my day at a God-forsaken 6 am by slapping on this thick, creamy balm. Blending wasn't exactly a cinch due to its gooey texture, but I was undaunted. With a BB Foundation Brush, I patiently buttered my entire face like it was freshly-popped toast. Persistence paid off. I was rewarded with luminous, Photoshopped skin that looked unbelievably even-colored and radiant. A light dusting of MUFE HD Microfinish Powder and voila! Instant gratification.

Unconvinced nevertheless at the oil-control property of the BB cream (hey, how could a product that looked/felt so impervious possibly keep the dreaded oilies at bay, right?). Hah! I was sure that my face would be an oozing, gleaming mass of oil field in a matter of half an hour, tops.

Went about my work day and forgot about my face. When I popped into the ladies after a late lunch, I was pleasantly taken aback that my complexion looked just as smooth, fresh and dewy (most amazing of all, I was still relatively shine-free!). No blotting or touch-ups required.

Back to my long day that had me running all corners of the island lugging dead weight. My day eventually wrapped at a hot, boisterous al fresco pub for the Germany vs. England match, where I jostled with a sweaty and rowdy crowd for a good three hours. Last time I checked, my makeup was intact and there was zero eyeliner runnage (my eyelids get so oily that lesser eyeliners frequently slide right off; even with the waterproofed ones, there is the occasional corner smudge). I usually apply Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone Treatment on my eyelids to combat this issue, but the BB cream alone works just as impressively.

Highly recommended even for the active, oily-combination-skinned.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I cannot talk about this product highly enough! I just can't! I am over the moon about it. I bought it last weekend at a CCO and just went back today to buy out the stock but they were out :( I have oily skin but really oily in the nose and large pores. No major issues to cover up, just the pores and overall evening out of skin tone.

Foundation (even geared towards oily skin) initially looks good on me (with oil control primer) and then my mid day is not good on my nose area and can look thick or sliding off in other areas.

I have tried everything it feels like.

This product, oh my word! It lasts well into the night for me and looks the same as when I applied it in the morning. It is light but buildable and I usually put two layers on (on top of my primer and Clinique pore cream on my nose) and then a powder (plus other face cosmetics like blush).

This is the first time I actually don't dread looking in a compact at mid-day in horror at what has happened to my face. I honestly don't even need to powder. I have rec'd so many compliments recently, which is so encouraging. I love the SPF, the texture of the product, and the finish.

The one I bought didn't have a color listed on it. When I went on MAC's website right now, there are now a lot of colors. I asked the MAC artist on the chat feature and she said the original launch was in the color Light. It is a great match for me (NW20).

If you are looking for major coverage, this is not it. If you want a light product that you can build, does not add to shine, and you can put many other products on top of, I say give it a try!

on 6/18/2015 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I LOVE the way this looks on my skin. I usually don't like BB creams because they are too greasy. The "BB cream" moniker has become so trendy that every brand has one, and it may even become passe due to some companies developing "CC creams" and even "DD creams." These tinted moisturizers have more antioxidants, higher SPF factors, and sometimes other benefits, but they are still TMs. This is one of the best I've tried.

PROS:

Natural-looking. Light Plus is my perfect shade and people compliment my skin when I wear this, so apparently it doesn't look like makeup. And my skin is not perfect!

The tube packaging is my favorite for travel.

The SPF 35 is part titanium dioxide. My sensitive skin needs mineral sunscreens. (Unfortunately it's not purely mineral.)

I like the amount of coverage; it's enough that I can use it instead of foundation.

The price is $30 versus the higher prices I normally pay for department store foundation.

Does not fade or get oily and lasts for several hours (my skin type is combination, not super oily)

Does not break me out.

Contains sodium hyaluronate which fills in fine lines and makes your skin look smoother. I look for this ingredient now.

Fragrance free

CONS:

Some of the active SPF ingredients are chemical in addition to mineral. I wish it didn't have oxybenzone in it. Mineral sunscreens are the safest for sensitive skin.

It doesn't have the coverage of Hourglass Immaculate Powder Foundation or Le Metier de Beaute Classic Flawless Finish foundation. But the coverage is great for a tinted moisturizer.

It is really best for normal to oily skin, or skin that is slightly dry. It happens to look great on me with my combination skin, but there is a tendency to market products to all skin types and that simply isn't realistic.

Tip: no need to use a primer- this IS your primer. It performs best on bare skin as your first layer, if not your only layer.

on 7/30/2012 6:40:00 PM

I like everything about this product, highly recommended if you are pale. I'm NC 15 and this is perfect. I use it as a tinted moisturizer. The coverage is medium, feels great and looks flawless when I blend with the fingers. No complaints and the price is right too, 30 mLs for $30.

MAC writes:
Prep + Prime Beauty Balm is lightly tinted in a nearly sheer beige tone to work on an array of complexions, it creamily re-texturizes the skin and then goes on to excel at being a face primer with high everyday UVA/UVB SPF 35 defense.

Update- this is being sold in three shades now while originally there was just one option. I used the MAC chat to figure out which one to reorder and apparently, the orig one is now the Light shade.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

i read this was for oily and combination skin types only but this works well on my normal dry skin (winter skin). It goes on easily and feels lightweight. Lasts all day, diffuses redness, offers light coverage. MSBB. I wear the Light Plus. This fits the bill for a product I was unconsciously looking for. Great Spf. I really can't ask for more from a product. And it does not make my mature skin look older, does not settle in my lines or pores. Really a great product.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really love this BB. I have used several before this and for my oily skin, this is the only one I can use. I have texture issues from scarring, large pores and some wrinkles on my forever. I want these things to be smoothed and filled so my skin looks more natural and just smooth. I have to stay away from matte foundations because it tends to settle in my texture problems and accentuate them. This product does a beautiful job at making my skin look smooth, natural and lasts wonderfully on my oily skin. I do set my t zone with a powder, but it still looks great. This has exceptional coverage in my opinion for a bb. I think the tool you use makes all the difference. I use a real techniques expert face brush, but the Mac dual fiber foundation brush is great too. Love this so much, especially the mineral spf 35!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I am skeptical about this product's status as a BB cream, (since it doesn't have a huge assortment of magical, trendy, pseudo-scientific ingredients that make impossible claims like reversing the aging process) but I am a believer in this product as a medium coverage foundation with a better than average broad spectrum SPF. Packaging is okay- it is a squeeze tube with a tiny orifice for controlling your dose. The actual product is thick for a liquid foundation, and the coverage is opaque. If you want to use this as a sunscreen, you'll need to apply liberally, and I'd really recommend a brush for a natural finish. Otherwise, just use a moisturizer with SPF, and use this product to touch up the areas on your face that need brightening or smoothing out. This product also has good staying power, even after working up a bit of a sweat. My only complaint is the pitiful shade selection- no options for darker complexions, at all. Really? Get with it, MAC. It's nice that you promote the line using multicultural ad campaigns, but they're just lip service when you only offer three shades of Caucasian for your latest bandwagon products. Still, if you fit into the tiny range of shades, and are looking for a smooth-finishing, medium coverage foundation with good longevity and a proper SPF, I'd recommend this product.

on 9/9/2016 9:29:00 PM

Foundations just don't wow me anymore. They take too much time to apply, rarely ever look natural in sunlight and I finally realized my skin is good enough without all the cover. This BB cream goes on like a dream, evens my skin while still looking like skin and looks great all day. I love that I don't look heavily made up any longer. Pretty darn happy with this.

on 2/27/2012 4:32:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

As someone with combination oily skin it's often hard for me to find face products that don't cause my t-zone the dreaded midday shine. I discovered BB Cream in 2010 and, after sampling different brands for well over 2 months, I began to faithfully use BRTC's Gold Caviar BB Cream -- until I came across MAC's P&P BB, that is!

Last year, US companies caught on to the BB Cream craze and I found myself purchasing them. None of them did for my skin what BRTC's did, but nevertheless when MAC's P&P BB caught my eye in-store I ran to the register with it. I'm a NC20 and this cream blends well with my coloring, provides decent coverage and an awesome make-up base while warding off midday shine.

If you, like me, began your BB Cream journey with Korean brands, give this one by MAC a try. It's the closest formulation I've found to them and worth every penny!