Tarte Clean Slate 360 Creaseless 12-Hour Smoothing Eye Primer

Tarte Clean Slate 360 Creaseless 12-Hour Smoothing Eye Primer

4.3

Isododecane, Mica, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Cera Alba/Beeswax/ Cire D'abeille, PEG-40 Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Phenoxyethanol, Boron Nitride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am surprised how impressed I am by this product. I have hooded eyes and aging eyes (45 years old), so creepiness is setting in with my eyelids. Add in oily eyelids, and it makes eyeshadow application not only challenging, but wear-time can be abysmal. So I tried this thinking, here we go again, another so-so primer..but I was wrong.

First off, what I notice is this just somehow makes my eyelids look more youthful and SMOOTH, even without eyeshadow. But then applying shadow, this helps make the eyeshadows look more pigmented once applied. My shadows last all day with this, no creasing, they look about the same at the end of 10 hours (or even more!) as they did when I first applied them. And, this amazingly helps with the creepiness I have, it just makes my eyelids look 25 years old again..yay!!!! :)

I will add that if you have trouble blending shadows, this may be something you might want to check out. It makes my shadows seemless; they all blend together flawlessly.

This is a tube application, which although I know wands are not very sanitary, i wish this was a wand applicator. But that obviously bears no merit on the performance or my rating. The opening of the tube is a very small hole, about the size of a pinpoint, so either you get a teeny tiny amount or enough for 4 people at a time, so you have to be careful, as that can be a little annoying to get 'too much' product out at once.

This currently retails for $20.00 USD. I find a dab will do ya, so this should last a good 6 months, so I suggest and plan on waiting for the sales to pick this up. But even so, the price point is not terrible, especially compared to other primers that to me do not work as well. This is a white cream, reminds me of the Nars primer. But the white shade has no bearing on the shadow look, imo..it disappears and melts right into the skin, and I am currently tanned, so if the white shade were to show up, I would 'notice'.

But even with those very minor trivial complaints, the product itself is worth the very minor hassle of the tube application. You do get the 'hang' of how gently you need to squeeze the tube, so it is no biggie. I just wish they would use a more forgiving/softer type of plastic like the Urban Decay tube, this Tarte plastic seems 'hard' and is easy to get 'too much' out at a time. But again, you just learn to be careful....No biggie. To me and for me, it works better than any other shadow primer I have tried, and I am pretty sure I have tried them all. This is holy grail for me, even though the tube is a bit of a pain. And really, I am making the tube to be more of a pain that it actually is. But I just want to mention all the good and the bad.

But seriously to have 12 or more hours with shadow looking as good as when first applied and even the eyelids themselves looking better..yes, please!! And, thank you!! :) :)

on 3/4/2016 11:36:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I bought this together with the Tarte's Clean Slate 12hr Poreless Primer (which I just reviewed).

Much like that primer, this works for me too. I spot-apply it on my eyelids and under my eyes when I forget to prime that area too.

My mineral powder foundation and concealer hadn't creased since I started using this primer, so I'm pretty chuffed about this product.

Some drawbacks: like all Tarte primers, it's not as natural as it purported to be. It had dimethicone in it, an ingredient I'm still undecided on. But it didn't caused me to break out or my skin to secrete even more sebum, so I think it's better than the last primer I tried which was from Urban Decay. It's also not cheap, but since I only use a tiny amt each time, I believe this tube can last me between 6mths to a year, so that isn't too bad.

To Read all 34 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/20/2015 8:44:00 PM

This is by far the best eye primer! I love the fact that it is "flesh" colored. It does not add any color to your lids, nor does it take away any discoloration. If you are looking for something that will even out the skin tone, this is NOT it. This product provides a nice base for your eyeshadows. I have fairly oily lids, and this primer is the only one that makes my shadow stay on for 15+ hours without creasing. A little bit goes a long way. I have been using mine for 6 months pretty much every day, and I still have quite a bit of the product left.

on 12/12/2014 9:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this primer! I have oily hooded eyes, so liner and shadow crease and smudge on me in minutes!! But I apply this at 9am and by the time I take off my makeup at 10pm my shadow is just barely creased in the inner corner but otherwise perfect! It doesn't bother my sensitive eye lids and the bottle has lasted me quite a while!

on 9/5/2014 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I have *extremely* oily lids, and have tried just about every eye primer that exists. This one is my favorite so far, though even it isn't perfect.

Rather oddly, though my eyelids still get super greasy by mid-afternoon when I wear Tarte Clean Slate 360, my shadows don't crease. They may fade a bit by the very end of the day, but they don't crease, and my [pressed powder] eyeliner stays put.

Tarte Clean Slate 360 is white in color, but when it's spread over the lids, as it does easily and evenly, it doesn't make your lids white. Since I prefer a primer that will even out the skin tone on my lids, I mix a drop of cream concealer with the primer, and it works great.

Tarte is a cruelty-free company, which is important to me, so while Tarte Clean Slate 360 is a bit pricey at $19, I'll gladly repurchase it, especially since it's the best eye primer I've found so far.

UPDATE: I've found a way to use this primer that helps reduce the amount of time it takes me to make up my eyes: I just mix Clean Slate 360 with some loose powder eyeshadow (I highly recommend the ones from Jlynne.com) in a 5-gram jar, and I have a cream eyeshadow that will last all day on my oily lids *and* keep everything applied on top of it in place, too. I have fallen in love with this stuff! If you've been disappointed by the likes of UD Primer Potion, or Too Faced Shadow Insurance, take heart - Clean Slate 360 may rise to the challenge for you.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Love this eye primer! It feels very nice, not hard to blend in at all. Keeps my shadows in place all day without creasing. Love it!

on 2/22/2014 11:52:00 PM

This primer is pretty darn good and lives up to its "creaseless" claim. It goes on like a cream and quickly dries to a smooth base. Shadow goes on smoothly and at the end of the night, comes off very easily. However I feel like this primer is horrible to use with tarte eyeshadows. All my other eyeshadows look great over this except my tarte shadows. Over this primer they are hard to apply and blend. That seems so ridiculous and is the main reason that I wouldn't repurchase this primer.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG for Eye primer. My experience is I put it on at 4:30 am and my eye makeup still looks great (seriously no creasing) when I get home at 4:pm or later. I usually only do a light reapply of eyeshadow around 1pm depending on the eye look I went with that day. That being said I will apply a word of warning. I rarely use any eyeshadow except for MAC or a few MUG and Stila. These are highly pigmented with great lasting power on their own so your result with drugstore eyeshadow may not be as long.

I tried this under my eyes, which the packaging suggested, and it was extremely drying and uncomfortable, but I have dry under eye and oily lids so that makes sense.

Applying:
A little goes a looong way, and its kind of expensive, so I put less than a pea sized on one ring finger.
Then I rub my two ring fingers together and I pat each finger over the whole eye lid up to the eyebrow.

Used 6 days a week, every week, a tube last about 2.5 months.

on 10/13/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I received this as a gift with purchase and was amazed at how well it kept my eyeshadows, both shimmer and matte from creasing. I have used this while mountain biking to actually test how well it works, and it really does stay on even through horrendous sweating. I went straight away to buy the full size. I like that it is white which means the eyeshadow color will be perfectly displayed on top. Even used alone it beneficial by brightening the area. I do use a moisturizer underneath and still no creasing. I have very sensitive skin and this has not caused any irritation what so ever. I have used several highly recommended eye primers and this one is the best for me.

on 10/5/2013 7:25:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This was one of three primers that I purchased in a trial set. It was my first time trying an eye primer and was very disappointed in its performance. It did nothing to extend the life of my eyeshadows and eyeliner and on top of that, made my eyelids look very white and shiny after it dried (I put on a dot the size of a couple of millimeters so it wasn't a lot!). I got around 3 hours of wear for both my eyeshadows and eyeliners. Will not be buying again.