AG Hair Cosmetics Colour Savour Sulfate Free Shampoo

AG Hair Cosmetics Colour Savour Sulfate Free Shampoo

4.1

Water (Aqua, Eau), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, PEG/PPG-120/10-Trimethylopropane Trioleat, Laureth-2, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-10, Olyquaternium-47, Ethalkonium Chloride Acrylate/Hema/Styrene Copolymer, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Extract, Pinus Palustris Leaf Extract, Dianthus Cariophyllus (Carnation) Extract, Butylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfomate, Acetamide MEA, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hyaluronic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Linolic Acid, Sorbitol, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Sodium PCA, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Sadly, I developed a thick scaly patch at the front of my hairline after using Colour Savour. I continued using the shampoo until the bottle ran out, secretly hoping it was just a fluke (I mean, look at all the rave reviews...how could this be happening to me?). But every time I used it, my scalp became itchy, and the patch refused to go away. Once I ran out of this shampoo, the scaly patch miraculously disappeared and my scalp stopped itching.

I'm still trying to research what exact ingredient(s) caused this reaction, so that I can avoid it at all costs! So far, I'm thinking it might be one of the coconut derivatives? I've had trouble with coconut-based skin and hair products in the past, but I haven't pinpointed exact ingredients yet.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am not normally a person who spends more than $5-$7 on shampoo, but I began to see that I had tried and failed to love most of the drug store options that were both cruelty free and sulfate free. I read some reviews and decided that Colour Savior sounded pretty nice, so I got a bottle and set my expectations pretty high. I was surprised to find that this shampoo really is better than the less expensive options I had been using. It smells nice, but it doesn't have an overwhelming perfume-y or fake fragrance. It has a ton of luxurious lather, but it doesn't dry out my fine-yet-abundant bleached/color treated hair that is super prone to dryness at the slightest whim AND it doesn't strip the unnatural red/orange color nearly as quickly as other sulfate free shampoos for color treated hair that I have tried. I have also found that with this shampoo I use less to get the same amount of cleanliness, so the bottle lasts a lot longer. I don't want to have a HG shampoo that costs a lot, but because of the difference it has made in my hair I think it is well worth the price tag.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

The hype is true with this shampoo, at least for my hair.
I go to the salon every 10 weeks or so to get my roots touched up and do any highlights if needed then so of course I want to preserve the colour for as long as possible.
My hairdresser tells me to avoid shampoos with SLS as this will fade the colour sooner. My scalp/skin are sensitive to SLS as well.

Colour Savour has a pleasant fruity scent and with minimal lather that washes out easily.
My hair feels clean and nourished and not parched. As for saving the colour, the reality is that as soon as coloured hair is washed, the colour will start to fade. (certain colours like red even more so)
I wash my hair three times a week to try and preserve the colour in addition to using SLS free shampoos.

I will say that my ombre/highlights look a bit 'glossier' with this shampoo. (using a colour depositing shampoo helps too)
I love how soft and silky my hair feels the next day.

Move over Big Sexy Hair volume shampoo and make room for AG Colour Savour.
The price tag of $18.95 CAD for 10 fl oz ($28.95 CAD for 1 litre) is high but hair is an investment and needs to be looked after properly.

on 1/26/2017 3:35:00 AM

Good for protecting color. I do notice that my hair color stays more vibrant and glossy when I'm using this shampoo. But it also makes my hair more frizzy. If that's an issue for you, then you might not love this so much. I know I didn't.

Colour Savour is also kind of a heavy shampoo as well. It lathers up like mad but it takes a little bit of work to rinse it out thoroughly. Cleanses well, so no complaints there. I just wish it moisturized a little better than it does.

For reference I have hair that is thick, wavy-textured, color-treated, and I heat-style it regularly. It has a tendency to get dried-out, so it's important that I take care of it with the right products. This isn't a bad product at all, but it is pretty expensive and not something I will buy again.

Warning. If you have had a keratin treatment this will strip it. Not the best for dry coarse 2a hair. Others may lead be it though.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a totally satisfactory shampoo that was able to thoroughly cleanse my curly, dense but fine hair without stripping it to the bone or washing away my hair color.

I've been around the block with trying just about every sulfate-free shampoo the drugstore and the luxury brands have to offer, and aside from the occasional anomalies I am mostly satisfied with what they do. I lean towards super gentle and moisturizing formulas not just because I color my hair, but because my hair was totally fried for about ten years and even though the bleach damage has grown out, I got in the habit of going easy on my hair.

This shampoo didn't do anything revolutionary but it DID cleanse, smell delicious (JUST like oranges), and didn't work my hair over too much to where it felt dry. I don't feel like my color was fully protected, but at the same time it didn't strip it off either. I have come to terms with the fact that no matter how hard a shampoo tries to be gentle, it is shampoo, not a styling product, and even permanent hair dye is going to be affected with repeated washings. How MUCH it is affected can be mitigated by how often you're washing and what you're using, but time takes a toll.

With that said, I am setting aside any fantasy notions that a shampoo (of all things) is going to salvage my hair color over weeks of use, and just say that this is a very good sulfate free option. Whether or not I will repurchase is yet to be determined, because while I liked this, I didn't notice anything life-altering about it either, and let's be real- there are cheaper alternatives out there. So, not a swing and a miss but not a game changer either!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I like the new packaging of the line and the sweet citrus scent of this shampoo. It does produce a cleansing lather but is feels surprisingly gentle on my hair. It is not stripping and has done a good job of maintaining color for me and leaves good shine. I'm definitely getting this at Ulta's liter sale. It was recommended one time on the hair board and I'm glad I took the plunge.

on 10/5/2015 12:26:00 PM

This shampoo and conditioner transformed my hair completely...i have thick hair that i need to straighten everyday or else it looks really crazy after a night sleep.....but after using this set my hair regains it's natural flow.......it starts to fall nice on it's own which allow me to just straighten where it's needed lightly.......i dun even understand how is this possible...my hair now has this nice wave at the end which never exists before!!

As for color staying power i can't really say much because my hair is not colored...... i just got it out of good reviews and hoping it be gentle on my hair cause i wash my hair everyday. i have spent so much money over shampoo/conditioner over the years trying to find the ones that truly makes a difference...and i think i have finally found it!!!!!!!!!

Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!

Best shampoo and conditioner on the market!!! I love this stuff! Makes my hair healthy shiny and frizz free without weighing it down! Smells awesome and is not too heavy. I rotate this with Enjoy Luxury. You gotta try it! Pricey but worth it! Love, love, love!!!!

on 2/3/2016 7:54:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Got this at a litre sale. At some point I test all my sulfate-free shampoos on their own - without putting conditioner in afterwards. This often turns into a "yikes!" moment with SLS shampoos because I have curly hair. But really, it's the best way of seeing how gentle the sulfate-free shampoos are because they can fall all over the place - some sulfate-frees are quite harsh, and others are so gentle I can literally wash and go without any styling product afterwards and actually have a nice hair day (has only happened with one particular granola-type shampoo from the UK). Still others don't clean enough. It can be a tricky thing, finding a sulfate-free shampoo that just "works." And ultimately, I think shampoos are more interchangeable than conditioners so it's also fun to try new offerings and scents.

This shampoo suds very nicely for a sulfate-free. Much better than its Rusk counterpart I recently tried. It is also on the gentle side of sulfate-frees, so that's good. The scent is fresh enough, though like most shampoos I have to rotate because I get sick of scents after awhile - even happened with my HG Kerastase scent (that's alas, not sulfate-free). I do not like sulfate-free shampoos with oils in them, so this product meets that stipulation as well and was ultimately the reason I chose this shampoo over Sexy Hair's Vibrant Sexy Hair Color Lock Shampoo.

As far as the protein ingredients go, I believe part of the protein issue with sulfate frees has to do with lather and cleansing. I have neither read this nor been told this, but over time I have observed how the low and no poo shampoos don't have the protein ingredients that the higher suds sulfate-free shampoos do... Of course I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong on that count.

I can't comment on colour-savour-ness because I have blond hair.

I give this shampoo 4.5 lippies. Not quite "to die for," but a top contender in its category. It's not there with Kerastase or Oribe scents, so can't be quite a 5 ;)