AG Hair Colour Savour Sulfate Free Shampoo

AG Hair Colour Savour Sulfate Free Shampoo

3.9

Water (Aqua, Eau), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, PEG/PPG-120/10-Trimethylopropane Trioleat, Laureth-2, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-10, Olyquaternium-47, Ethalkonium Chloride Acrylate/Hema/Styrene Copolymer, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Extract, Pinus Palustris Leaf Extract, Dianthus Cariophyllus (Carnation) Extract, Butylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfomate, Acetamide MEA, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hyaluronic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Linolic Acid, Sorbitol, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Sodium PCA, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

on 5/2/2018 5:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been using Colour Savour on my colored 3n hair for over 8 years now. As new cool products or suggestions come up, I will try them, but I always end up coming back to Colour Savour. It does preserve color, as when I have used other shampoos for color hair my 3n turns very orangey. But with this, it holds true till the very end. Heck, I went 4 months between colorings and it still looked decent (minus the incoming gray hairs). I shampoo my very, very fine wavy hair about 3-4 times a week. I ONLY buy this during Ulta liter sales in July and December/January so the liter is only $22. I have used countless other sulfate free shampoos from high end brands like Virtue down to L'oreal drugstore stuff. I always come back to Colour Savour. Besides the benefits of color protection and being less drying, there are other pros for this shampoo including:

The Pros:
- It lathers like nobody's business and works through your hair so much easier than other sulfate free shampoos.
- It smells wonderful, light and fresh and the smell doesn't overly linger and conflict with other scents
- It does not fade color as stated above, but it also has no build up feeling...at all. Most of the ones I use especially have this build up feeling on the hair, but not AG.
- It does not weigh my uber fine hair down. This is huge as everything weighs my hair down.
- It is Curly Girl friendly

Now of course, no shampoo is perfect there are some cons including:
- Price could be a deterrent, but purchasing during the liter sale fixes that for me
- Proteins - there are some in here I think, but they don't seem to bother my hair. Maybe because I am rinsing them out? I am usually fairly protein sensitive with anything that is left in and too much protein turns my hair into straw, but what ever is in here is ok for my hair. There are many shampoos out there that are really protein heavy compared to this.
- It is sulfate free. While I think this is one of the best sulfate free products out there, there are some people who are just not going to like sulfate free shampoos or just don't need them.

All in all, while I find no shampoo to be perfect, this I have used for over 8 years. Yes, I have tried others during that time, but if I don't like something, I don't make myself finish it. So after spending a few weeks with the new sparkly product, I always come running back to Colour Savour.

on 5/1/2018 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Meh, meh, and again, meh. Gives a generous lather and smells like yuzu/lemons--I like that. However, I have little else that's positive to say about this product. Strips colour and leaves a tacky, flat residue. This was not cheap ($20-something), so I'm going to chug through my bottle and chalk it up to experience.

on 11/19/2017 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I don't know about color part but this shampoo made my hair flat and ends were dry. What's up with that. No I would not buy this again :((((

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Sadly, I developed a thick scaly patch at the front of my hairline after using Colour Savour. I continued using the shampoo until the bottle ran out, secretly hoping it was just a fluke (I mean, look at all the rave reviews...how could this be happening to me?). But every time I used it, my scalp became itchy, and the patch refused to go away. Once I ran out of this shampoo, the scaly patch miraculously disappeared and my scalp stopped itching.

I'm still trying to research what exact ingredient(s) caused this reaction, so that I can avoid it at all costs! So far, I'm thinking it might be one of the coconut derivatives? I've had trouble with coconut-based skin and hair products in the past, but I haven't pinpointed exact ingredients yet.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am not normally a person who spends more than $5-$7 on shampoo, but I began to see that I had tried and failed to love most of the drug store options that were both cruelty free and sulfate free. I read some reviews and decided that Colour Savior sounded pretty nice, so I got a bottle and set my expectations pretty high. I was surprised to find that this shampoo really is better than the less expensive options I had been using. It smells nice, but it doesn't have an overwhelming perfume-y or fake fragrance. It has a ton of luxurious lather, but it doesn't dry out my fine-yet-abundant bleached/color treated hair that is super prone to dryness at the slightest whim AND it doesn't strip the unnatural red/orange color nearly as quickly as other sulfate free shampoos for color treated hair that I have tried. I have also found that with this shampoo I use less to get the same amount of cleanliness, so the bottle lasts a lot longer. I don't want to have a HG shampoo that costs a lot, but because of the difference it has made in my hair I think it is well worth the price tag.

on 1/26/2017 3:35:00 AM

Good for protecting color. I do notice that my hair color stays more vibrant and glossy when I'm using this shampoo. But it also makes my hair more frizzy. If that's an issue for you, then you might not love this so much. I know I didn't.

Colour Savour is also kind of a heavy shampoo as well. It lathers up like mad but it takes a little bit of work to rinse it out thoroughly. Cleanses well, so no complaints there. I just wish it moisturized a little better than it does.

For reference I have hair that is thick, wavy-textured, color-treated, and I heat-style it regularly. It has a tendency to get dried-out, so it's important that I take care of it with the right products. This isn't a bad product at all, but it is pretty expensive and not something I will buy again.

Warning. If you have had a keratin treatment this will strip it. Not the best for dry coarse 2a hair. Others may lead be it though.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

The hype is true with this shampoo, at least for my hair.
I go to the salon every 10 weeks or so to get my roots touched up and do any highlights if needed then so of course I want to preserve the colour for as long as possible.
My hairdresser tells me to avoid shampoos with SLS as this will fade the colour sooner. My scalp/skin are sensitive to SLS as well.

Colour Savour has a pleasant fruity scent and with minimal lather that washes out easily.
My hair feels clean and nourished and not parched. As for saving the colour, the reality is that as soon as coloured hair is washed, the colour will start to fade. (certain colours like red even more so)
I wash my hair three times a week to try and preserve the colour in addition to using SLS free shampoos.

I will say that my ombre/highlights look a bit 'glossier' with this shampoo. (using a colour depositing shampoo helps too)
I love how soft and silky my hair feels the next day.

Move over Big Sexy Hair volume shampoo and make room for AG Colour Savour.
The price tag of $18.95 CAD for 10 fl oz ($28.95 CAD for 1 litre) is high but hair is an investment and needs to be looked after properly.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a totally satisfactory shampoo that was able to thoroughly cleanse my curly, dense but fine hair without stripping it to the bone or washing away my hair color.

I've been around the block with trying just about every sulfate-free shampoo the drugstore and the luxury brands have to offer, and aside from the occasional anomalies I am mostly satisfied with what they do. I lean towards super gentle and moisturizing formulas not just because I color my hair, but because my hair was totally fried for about ten years and even though the bleach damage has grown out, I got in the habit of going easy on my hair.

This shampoo didn't do anything revolutionary but it DID cleanse, smell delicious (JUST like oranges), and didn't work my hair over too much to where it felt dry. I don't feel like my color was fully protected, but at the same time it didn't strip it off either. I have come to terms with the fact that no matter how hard a shampoo tries to be gentle, it is shampoo, not a styling product, and even permanent hair dye is going to be affected with repeated washings. How MUCH it is affected can be mitigated by how often you're washing and what you're using, but time takes a toll.

With that said, I am setting aside any fantasy notions that a shampoo (of all things) is going to salvage my hair color over weeks of use, and just say that this is a very good sulfate free option. Whether or not I will repurchase is yet to be determined, because while I liked this, I didn't notice anything life-altering about it either, and let's be real- there are cheaper alternatives out there. So, not a swing and a miss but not a game changer either!

on 2/3/2016 7:54:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Got this at a litre sale. At some point I test all my sulfate-free shampoos on their own - without putting conditioner in afterwards. This often turns into a "yikes!" moment with SLS shampoos because I have curly hair. But really, it's the best way of seeing how gentle the sulfate-free shampoos are because they can fall all over the place - some sulfate-frees are quite harsh, and others are so gentle I can literally wash and go without any styling product afterwards and actually have a nice hair day (has only happened with one particular granola-type shampoo from the UK). Still others don't clean enough. It can be a tricky thing, finding a sulfate-free shampoo that just "works." And ultimately, I think shampoos are more interchangeable than conditioners so it's also fun to try new offerings and scents.

This shampoo suds very nicely for a sulfate-free. Much better than its Rusk counterpart I recently tried. It is also on the gentle side of sulfate-frees, so that's good. The scent is fresh enough, though like most shampoos I have to rotate because I get sick of scents after awhile - even happened with my HG Kerastase scent (that's alas, not sulfate-free). I do not like sulfate-free shampoos with oils in them, so this product meets that stipulation as well and was ultimately the reason I chose this shampoo over Sexy Hair's Vibrant Sexy Hair Color Lock Shampoo.

As far as the protein ingredients go, I believe part of the protein issue with sulfate frees has to do with lather and cleansing. I have neither read this nor been told this, but over time I have observed how the low and no poo shampoos don't have the protein ingredients that the higher suds sulfate-free shampoos do... Of course I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong on that count.

I can't comment on colour-savour-ness because I have blond hair.

I give this shampoo 4.5 lippies. Not quite "to die for," but a top contender in its category. It's not there with Kerastase or Oribe scents, so can't be quite a 5 ;)