AG Hair Cosmetics Colour Savour Sulfate Free Shampoo

AG Hair Cosmetics Colour Savour Sulfate Free Shampoo

4.5

on 2/3/2016 7:54:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Got this at a litre sale. At some point I test all my sulfate-free shampoos on their own - without putting conditioner in afterwards. This often turns into a "yikes!" moment with SLS shampoos because I have curly hair. But really, it's the best way of seeing how gentle the sulfate-free shampoos are because they can fall all over the place - some sulfate-frees are quite harsh, and others are so gentle I can literally wash and go without any styling product afterwards and actually have a nice hair day (has only happened with one particular granola-type shampoo from the UK). Still others don't clean enough. It can be a tricky thing, finding a sulfate-free shampoo that just "works." And ultimately, I think shampoos are more interchangeable than conditioners so it's also fun to try new offerings and scents.

This shampoo suds very nicely for a sulfate-free. Much better than its Rusk counterpart I recently tried. It is also on the gentle side of sulfate-frees, so that's good. The scent is fresh enough, though like most shampoos I have to rotate because I get sick of scents after awhile - even happened with my HG Kerastase scent (that's alas, not sulfate-free). I do not like sulfate-free shampoos with oils in them, so this product meets that stipulation as well and was ultimately the reason I chose this shampoo over Sexy Hair's Vibrant Sexy Hair Color Lock Shampoo.

As far as the protein ingredients go, I believe part of the protein issue with sulfate frees has to do with lather and cleansing. I have neither read this nor been told this, but over time I have observed how the low and no poo shampoos don't have the protein ingredients that the higher suds sulfate-free shampoos do... Of course I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong on that count.

I can't comment on colour-savour-ness because I have blond hair.

I give this shampoo 4.5 lippies. Not quite "to die for," but a top contender in its category. It's not there with Kerastase or Oribe scents, so can't be quite a 5 ;)

on 10/5/2015 12:26:00 PM

This shampoo and conditioner transformed my hair completely...i have thick hair that i need to straighten everyday or else it looks really crazy after a night sleep.....but after using this set my hair regains it's natural flow.......it starts to fall nice on it's own which allow me to just straighten where it's needed lightly.......i dun even understand how is this possible...my hair now has this nice wave at the end which never exists before!!

As for color staying power i can't really say much because my hair is not colored...... i just got it out of good reviews and hoping it be gentle on my hair cause i wash my hair everyday. i have spent so much money over shampoo/conditioner over the years trying to find the ones that truly makes a difference...and i think i have finally found it!!!!!!!!!

Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!

To Read all 13 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/16/2015 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Neutral

Greatest

Best shampoo and conditioner on the market!!! I love this stuff! Makes my hair healthy shiny and frizz free without weighing it down! Smells awesome and is not too heavy. I rotate this with Enjoy Luxury. You gotta try it! Pricey but worth it! Love, love, love!!!!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I like the new packaging of the line and the sweet citrus scent of this shampoo. It does produce a cleansing lather but is feels surprisingly gentle on my hair. It is not stripping and has done a good job of maintaining color for me and leaves good shine. I'm definitely getting this at Ulta's liter sale. It was recommended one time on the hair board and I'm glad I took the plunge.

on 7/1/2015 12:22:00 PM

UPDATE 12/15/15: I am sure I will still repeat the cycle below, but this my old reliable. And this does help maintain my color. I had used the GVP generic for Biolage Color Care and it caused blatant fading. With the AG, I have not had any issues with my 3n hair fading or turning orange. Bumping this up to a full 5 lippie.

ORIGINAL: So, I keep trying this, liking it, getting bored or irritated by it, stopping it and repeating the cycle later. I am currently stocked up on this because Ulta was clearing out the old packaging and they had liters of this on sale for cheaper than I could get at the liter sale. It is something I am cool with keeping in the shower. Sometimes I really like it: smooth hair, color protection, smells nice, nice for a sulfate free product. But after long term (months) consistent use, the proteins start to get the best of my fine hair and it starts to feel dry. Then, if I go back in a year or so, great then dry. So if proteins are NOT an issue for you, this is a really nice shampoo. But I would only buy it during the Ulta liter sale or some other sale of such. Not worth the full price tag IMO. Kind of a flouncy review, but that is kind of how I am with this. I don't love it, I don't hate it.

on 6/23/2015 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using this shampoo for a couple of years. For reference I color/bleach my hair and this is the brand I trust not to make my hair orange or brassy. Especially since salon services can get pricey as well as time consuming! I'm in the salon for at least 3 hours for cut, shampoo, style and touch-up color. I don't want all that going down the drain. I shampoo twice a week and rarely use clarifying shampoo even after buildup from leave in conditioner, serums, or hairspray. This is good stuff! The scent is not strong, pleasant, not too fruity. I suggest purchasing a moisturizing conditioner after using any sulfate free shampoo. But I find this has great lather and not drying. It fits my criteria for a sulfate free shampoo.

For those who wonder why try sulfate free? For me, it doesn't leave a waxy film on my hair, my scalp is not itchy and oily, I can wash my hair twice a week with it, and it retains color! I have tried other cheaper ones but my color fades and still get a waxy build up or leaves my hair parched.

I purchase at Ulta during their liter sales so it's about $20 which I feel is a good value. My hair is down my back and can't buy 8 oz shampoos no longer. Stock up otherwise it's around $50 for one liter. So if you color your hair and want to invest in good products to maintain it, try AG Color Savour. I switch with their Smooth line with argan oil to switch things up.

I have been using this for some time so I am always on the look out for better sulfate free shampoos.

on 5/3/2015 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Woah, love this shampoo! It's cleansing, yet does not strip my hair of moisture and it smells sooo good! It also lathers amazingly for a sulfate free shampoo!

I also love that the pH of the product is clearly listed as pH 4.5-5.5. I use slightly acidic hair products whenever possible, as it helps seal the cuticle. There are many hair products (even expensive, branded ones) in the market that are alkaline and are actually not good for your hair.

I cannot however comment on its "color savour" claim as I do not have color treated hair.

on 7/16/2014 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

EHHHHHHHH.

This shampoo is kind of weak for how expensive it is. I do like the smell of it and it cleans my hair. That's about it really. I don't get the rave reviews about this product. It didn't work for me.

And for the self proclaimed "color savour" title, I really don't think this and the colour savour conditioner did anything to savour my colour - both when it was ombre and dyed back to a light brown. My color actually faded out pretty hard and my golden ombre got very brassy.

And trust me I use heat and UV protectant, deep condtiton, blah blah blah to take care of my hair.

Next.

on 3/29/2014 1:09:00 AM

I heard nothing but fantastic reviews on this product, so I knew I needed to try it. I had previously been using Pureology's Reviving Reds line for redheads, but the price was obscene, even if a bottle did last me 4 months (I'm a redhead who only washes 2-3x per week). This is still crazy expensive ($50 for liter bottle, WHAT?) but I opted for the cheaper $20 8oz. bottle and the matching conditioner. Right off the bat I was annoyed because the conditioner is 2 oz. smaller but still the same price and I always run out of conditioner first. The bottle is a pain, I really have to shake and squeeze more the lower I get down in the bottle, but the plastic is thick and awkwardly shaped. The smell is very pleasant, I love it! It does not dry my hair out at all, but still leaves it very clean. However, I do notice more color washing out than I did with my previous products and that bums me out. Red is a stubborn enough color to maintain. I'd still recommend it, but I'm iffy about buying it again, especially because of the price. Even the best products have someone they don't work well for, I guess this one is it for me. The conditioner is great though! Smells better than the shampoo, is very moisturizing and doesn't weigh my hair down, despite the fact that it contains silicones.

Popular Shampoos