Jane Iredale Glow Time BB Cream

3.6

Not tested on animals

I generally won't do a review until I have used a product for a little while but wanted to give others some information on the shades. I went to a local salon which had very bad lighting and was having trouble deciding. I went outside to look to try to decide on a shade. The BB1 on this line is going to be great for you super duper pale gals! Finally a line that remembers us paler gals. BB1 is kind of an odd shade as I remember...not really pink and not yellow...very neutral. The BB3 shade to me looked much more pink than the BB5 which has stronger yellow tones...almost freaked me out it was so yellow but looks fabulous on. I am right now between NC15 and NC20 but will be NC 15 in winter and I think this BB3 is going to be perfect for winter. The BB3 might be a little too light for a true NC20. I waited for this to oxidize,..for the first time....kinda hoping it would turn a little darker but it didnt seem to do this. Get color matched before buying. The price is sky high...BUT you only use an amount smaller than a pea and its almost twice the size of for example, Maybelline's BB cream. I am one who tends to sometimes use too much foundation but truely, you only need a small amount for great coverage so the price isn't that bad since this 1.7 oz bottle will probably last you forever! I had been using Maybelline's BB cream...which I liked but limited coverage and was using so much of it trying to get some coverage that I could see going through it quite fast so the cost of this Jane Iredale seems to be good considering you use such a tiny amount. It gives off a glow but not the oil slick of Garnier's and slightly less shiny than Maybellines. I will update again once I have worn it for a while but I do think I will like it. I have not tried the primer as of yet that they now have out. I did call Jane Iredales customer support once and when I asked if the BB1 and BB3 were pink or yellow, I was told they ALL had yellow undertones in them. This was not currect and I really think the BB1 is truely neutral...very very pale and the BB3 is more pink than BB5. Good luck! Can't wait to see what others think! I never buy anything without checking with all you gals so took a risk since there was only one reviews out there before mine. :)

EDIT 8-21-12: Have been wearing this and loving it. No break outs. Love the coverage. I DO have combo skin so am trying to decide what powder to use to set it with. It has a dewey finish initially and if you apply powder, you will look cakey as it picks up too much powder initially...wait to set with powder. I have noticed througout the day my face has a glow and I touched my face to see if it felt greasy...it doesn't...just glowy...almost feels matte but doesnt look matte. LOVE IT. I did buy the primer which I do think helps with application.

Edit march 2013, I have long stopped using this. It's just too greasy and cakey for my skin. I now use and LOVE Aveeno's BB cream which has a fair/light shade for my NC 15 skin.

I have been using Origin's Stay Tuned Foundation for a while without any problems, but I want to try a BB cream since it's so popular in the U.S. & Asia. I searched many brands of BB cream including the Asian brands. I tried the "SKIN 79 PINK LABEL" BB cream & it broke me out terribly because it had isopropyl palmitate + other acne causing ingredients.

Since my skin breaks out easily & is prone to allergic response, I try to avoid products with long ingredient list, natural w/o many toxic chemicals, fragrance-free, & cruelty free. This BB cream fits all the criteria I'm looking for so I decide to give it a try despite the price is expansive. I have been using it for 3 months & nothing has changed in my skin care routine. Here is my review of this product after using it for 3 months:

TEXTURE --> This is more like a "FULL COVERAGE FOUNDATION" then a BB cream. It is extremely thick so if you don't moisturize your skin well, you will see white streaks & look cakey. I'm using Tazorac (the strongest type of retinol) & my skin can be dry after using retinol. This BB cream enhances the flakiness of my skin & make it look dry if I don't moisturize it well. The down side is that it is very difficult to blend despite that it contains silicon ingredients (silicon compounds is supposed to allow foundation to glide smoothly on the skin). It does provides a dewy look on my face but it looks too shiny after a few hours.

COLOR: THIS IS NOT COLOR ADJUSTING LIKE OTHER BB CREAM (therefore I think of this product as a "FULL COVERAGE FOUNDATION")!! So if you get the wrong color, you will look like you are wearing a white ghost mask or have strange orange tan on your face. I tried out the BB7 in the store & it was TOO ORANGE for me so I bought the BB5. It is much whiter than my skin but the SA told me this BB cream will SELF-ADJUST its color to match my skin color. I put this on & it looks like a white ghost mask on my face. The color doesn't 'self-adjust" to my skin color after a few hours & I still look like a ghost mask.

SKIN REACTION: No itching, burning, or unpleasant allergic reactions. I started to get small bumps on my face & LOTS OF BLACKHEADS after using it for 2 months. I know the packaging says it's NON-COMEDOGENIC but it still clogs my pores. Maybe its thick texture causes blackheads on my nose.

After trying it for 3 months, I'm done with this product & going back to the origin's foundation which is much lighter & friendly to my skin. I'm not writing this review to discourage you from buying this good product because there are many good reviews about this product. I think as long as your skin doesn't have so many problems like my skin, then this is a great BB cream for you!! If you have acne prone skin, this cream might still cause breakout or blackheads. Because of my skin problems, I will not repurchase this but I still think this is a great product for people with normal skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I'm a professional makeup artist who has struggled with acne for the past 10 yrs. I prefer to use natural mineral based products on my skin, but many of the natural foundations out there just don't offer enough coverage for my complexion. I recently found out about JI BB cream and had to check it out. Absolutely LOVE IT! This stuff provides the FULL coverage that I've been looking for from a mineral product. However, I do find that b/c the pigment is so concentrated, you would have to pre-moisturize before applying or it will be hard to spread, OR you can also mix it w/ moisturizer or primer--then apply. For a skincare&makeup product in ONE that gives you 1.7oz , $48 is a quite reasonable, especially since a little bit goes a long way.

I previously just loved BB creams. However, I then "went cruelty free" and stopped using them as most were not able to be traced for their animal testing status. I did try.

So, for the cruelty free girls the only that come to mind are the Boscia bb and now the Jane Iredale. The Boscia I was less than impressed with.

Back to the point. I'm so happy to be able to re-enter the bb cream world with this one from Jane Iredale. Despite its cruelty free status, this is my favorite bb cream I have used. I do use this with her Primer as well, which I also totally love.
Pros:
-The coverage with this is quite nice. It is quite solid for a bb cream and i would give it an overall "light to medium" coverage for a foundation product ("Light" to me is Chanel Aqua lumiere and "Heavy" is Bobbi Brown hydrating foundation). I don't require too much coverage but for under my eyes, so I can't speak to this for someone who wants a lot lot of coverage. Used in conjunction with my color corrector and concealer, I am very happy with my under eye appearance.
-The product lasts a full day for me when used with the primer.
-Some bb creams collect in the pores and on the tiny peach fuzz between my eyes. This one really smooths out my pores and doesn't collect as much as others have in fine hairs.
-Like most BB creams, I found matching my color somewhat difficult. However, I do find that less is more with this product. I am far happier with the color match when I use the least amount of product possible.

Cons
-Expensive, but this is going to last your for-ever because you need so little of it.
-If you have oily skin, you may not be stoked with this product. I'm combo leaning dry and I get shiny in the T zone.
-The color selection is somewhat limited, I think. However, as I said above, using less is much better and gets the color match better.
-You have to blend, blend blend the heck out of this or you will see the product. Not really a con, just a note.

You are limited in selection to BB creams if you only buy cruelty free. However, you now have access to the best one out there, in my opinion, with this new Iredale BB.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a good product, but the color selection is somewhat limited. That is the only reason I've knocked a lippie off the rating. Otherwise, if you use the new primer, Smooth Affair, this goes on and blends well -- especially with the blending brush. The coverage is medium to full -- but the colors aren't totally right for my skin for a full coverage product. My skin is light-medium. I wear fairly light in BE, and NC25 in MAC. The BB5 is a tad light, so full coverage looks chalky because it is too light for my skin. I have to go with more of a medium coverage to not look like a ghost. The BB7 is too dark and yellow. I opted for the BB5 and use it with a setting powder in translucent and a bronzer to give me a bit of color. I do like the product because it does give me a bit of a glowiness, and the coverage is really good if you can find a match. I think I'll like this more in the winter when my skin is a little paler. Oh, and it does NOT break me out. Now, I will say not to buy into the gimmick of the washcloth they give you that doesn't require soap and doesn't hold on to bacteria to help maintain your skin barrier. Using that for a couple of days with no soap to help break down sebum and remove all impurities will cause breakouts if you are acne prone. But, the foundation and primer will not cause breakouts. And, I think this is about the only BB Cream that will not break you out. UPDATE 8/21/2012: Just wanted to say that I ended up getting BB5 and BB7, and I mix them to get a perfect color. Coverage is flawless with a slight glow. I am keeping the original rating as is because I have to mix 2 colors for a perfect match. I bet a BB6 would be perfect for a lot of people.

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I started using Jane Iredale compact powder several years ago. I think I am allergic to parabens and mineral oil following many years of sun tan lotion use when sailing. I am sure it was an accumulative issue, but have no desire to try them out again. I absolutely loved the powder. It is light, but covers well, giving me a good SPF coverage and being portable to boot.

Now in my 50's I felt I needed more coverage, and decided to take the plunge and get a BB cream as I was going to Australia for 10 days. The idea was a foundation-like product with good SPF which would not upset my skin.

Well I hated it, really hated it. It felt thick, non-mobile in terms of spread ability. I felt like I had this thick plastic mask on. The only good thing is that I did not burn.

On returning to NZ, I went back to the compact again and was very happy to do so.

However, I felt the powder was beginning to make me look older, sitting on top of my skin or in the creases. Time to make a change.

I tried the BB cream again, and once more hated it. Not giving up, though, I watched several videos, including Jane's on how to apply it. I also went to my stockist to ask advise and discuss dislike of the product.

The secret, is definitely in the application. I was advised I could add it to moisturiser to make it more malleable and that it is indeed supposed to be very thick. The idea is once applied, it does not move!!!

I now use a pea sized amount which I put on the base of my thumb. I let is warm up on my skin and apply tiny dots on my face and spread it out on newly moisturised skin. I use the pads of my fingers and work quickly and gently, as if I am applying a light oil. I work in sections, so it does not have time to settle in any one space as a blob.

The only downside is that it tends to make a dry area by my nose more noticeable, but I add a little concealer here to hide this, as suggested by my stockist.

Overall I have begun to like this product and would advise anyone trying it to either have a beautician show them how to apply it, or look at the video tutorials. Whether I would repurchase is open to debate at this stage, but I am hoping by Summer I have become proficient enough in its application that I do.

I received this BB cream as a sample when I purchased some lipstick from Nordstrom. The first time I put it on, I didn't read the instructions and used way, way, way too much. It was awful. It looked like I had a mask on. I was about to toss it, when I saw on the instructions that the sample should last for at least 3 applications. I tried it again the next day, using just a pea size amount and applying it just like the video on Jane Iredale's website shows and it was absolutely amazing. I am hooked. I have redness on my face and this hides EVERYTHING. I don't need any concealer at all. And if you apply it right, using just the tiniest amount, you will get the perfect coverage without it looking like you're wearing a lot of makeup. The sample I received has lasted me for 5 or 6 applications and I still have some left. Every time I wear this, I receive compliments on my appearance. Not to mention, it is waterproof, so I can put it on when I know I'm going to the pool that day. I love, love, love this BB cream. It does tend to make me a little shiny, so I don't use moisturizer when I wear it and that way it gives me the most perfect dewy finish. It is a bit pricey, but I imagine with how little product that you have to use, that it will last for a year. I am definitely buying this when my sample runs out.

I was very excited to try the BB foundation. I am NC15-NC20 in MAC. In JI I am a Bisque in Winter and Warm Silk in Summer. I ordered BB1 direct from JI and it was far to light for my skin so I exchanged it for BB3. BB3 is still a tad bit light for me in the summer and on MY skin it has a slightly cool tone. I called JI customer service for color assistance and they said the BB product colors tends to be lighter then their other product lines and to go up a shade. I purchased BB5 and it is too dark for me, but a warmer tone on my skin. After experimenting, here is how I see the color tones for BB1-BB5.

BB1 is neutral (for extremely fair skin)
BB3 is slightly cool (fair to light skin)
BB5 is slightly warm

The product is expensive but you really only need very little. It takes getting use to, but if applied properly (I use a brush), it does not look chalky or caked. It does do a nice job of evening out my skin and covering the red areas. Now that Im $100 into the product, I will try blending BB3 & BB5 to get me through summer.

Amazing. I'm nearly 30 and this makes me look 16 again. Lol but seriously this stuff is worth the price because it is so concentrated. I bet it would take me at least 6 months of daily use to get through the whole bottle. Absolutely full coverage, smoothing, hydrating, but not greasy. Impressive wear time for a BB cream. I even use it as a concealer for minor imperfections and under the eyes. For reference, I have stubborn combination skin that can be oily or dry depending on the climate.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Originally I didn't like this product. I started out using BB3 which looked really heavy, settled in my lines, and just didn't look right. Turns out half the problem was that the color wasn't right. I contacted JI customer service and they sent me a generous sample of BB5. Now, I think these run light, as I wear Bisque in the Amazing Base, which should be MUCH lighter than BB5 according to their descriptions. But BB5 looks good. A good color match is a must. And then there is application. I feel like I was applying way too much, at first. After talking with their customer service and reading lots of reviews, I now use a few small dabs and blend with my fingers or a sponge and it looks really great. Very, very smooth and perfect.
After all the initial bumps in the road, this is now one of my favorite foundations. The coverage is great, I love the color, the SPF is perfect for daily intermittent sun exposure. It's not too glowy or too matte. And I think the tube will last forever with how little I actually need to use. I don't find this terribly thick or hard to blend. My skin is pretty dry but so far it doesn't dry it out any more or anything (this was a problem with JI Dream Tint tinted moisturizer. NOT moisturizing on me by a long shot!). In the winter, I think I can mix the BB3 that I have with the BB5 and it will work nicely (and use up the "too light" color). It is pricey, but really well worth it.
Edited to add: this BB is more than enough coverage for me on its own, but on days when I know I'm going to be needing to look extra polished, or working really late, I use a dusting of Amazing Base mineral powder over this. Looks absolutely perfect all day long that way.