Jane Iredale smooth Affair Facial Primer & Brightener

3.7

Not tested on animals

on 1/23/2017 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is an excellent primer for those with dry skin. It provides a smooth base and prevents makeup from clinging to dry, rough spots. I'm able to apply makeup effortlessly and it seems to provided added moisture.

on 1/21/2017 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this primer, I received a tube as a free gift with my vogue subscription and I think I'm going to buy it again when I run out:
Pros -
- lovely lightweight texture, doesn't feel silicone heavy at all so feels like my skin can breath under it
- mattifies my super oily skin
- stops foundation oxidising really well
- creates a great base for make up and holds into your foundation for hours
- really does brighten skin as it claims, on days I opt to go makeup free I just apply this in the morning and it gives skin a nice glow
- a little goes a really really long way, I use a 5 pence size piece, I've had this 6 months and there's still loads left
Cons -
- The lid seems to trap quite a lot of the product, I stuck my pinky in it recently and got enough product out to do my whole face so this could work out pretty wasteful, I've marked the packaging down for this
- I hate the smell. Here in the U.K. As kids we used to get antibiotics in a liquid form that came in strawberry, banana and orange flavours. It smells exactly like the orange one. Many people have said they find the smell refreshing and citrusy when they put it on their face, it reminds me of the time I had chronic tonsillitis as a 6 year old

Ultimately the pros outweigh the cons, I really like the primer and I hope to repurchase when it eventually runs out

I recently switched all of my makeup to Jane Iredale products and I couldn't be happier. I have dry/oily skin and I am prone to breakouts so I am a little weary trying new products. My esthetician recommended I use Jane Iredale products and I am so glad I did!

In the past I had never used a facial primer before. Once I got into Jane Iredale and heard about Smooth Affair I just had to try it. Jane Iredale also carries a Smooth Affair for oily skin but I was nervous to try it as I'm so dry but my skin overcompensates and gets oily.

When I purchased Smooth Affair I also purchased Jane Iredale's Glow Time BB cream. How I use Smooth Affair is after washing my face and using my serums and sunscreen, I put about a pea sized amount of Smooth Affair in my hands and spread it gently all over my face. I allow it to dry for about a minute and then I put a tiny, and I mean tiny, amount of Glow Time on the back of my hand and apply with a foundation brush. Then I use my pure press powder. I always finish with my hydration setting spray. I use Balance for oily skin.

At first I thought these new products were breaking me out, but I kept using them and now my skin is better than it's ever been. It's smooth, moisturized, looks glowy and healthy. I get compliments on my skin all of the time now.

I really do feel this primer helps my makeup stay put better than not using it. I do feel it's improving the health of my skin and I will continue to use it. Thank you, Jane Iredale for making such wonderful products for troubled skin!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

It smells nice and goes on nice but it did nothing for my pores at all! Or my fine lines. I like a primer that minimizes them, unfortunately this did not do it for me. And with the price tag I would expect more. I have oily skin and have tried both versions of the primer and neither helped w oil control.

on 12/8/2015 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Besides smelling wonderful, this product disappointed me. I had asked for a sample on the JI website and I am glad I did. When I first applied, it seemed very thin and has a light citrusy scent which was nice. However, that's about it. I didn't notice that it made my makeup look any smoother than any other mousturizer and I did not notice it made any different in the longevity of my makeup. I will definitely not purchase this.

on 10/14/2015 7:00:00 AM

I would like to give it a higher rating, but it contains cyclopentasiloxane, which is possible cancer hazard, thus it deserves just 2 lipsticks. I have extremely sensitive skin thus I bought sample size as oppose to full size which is rather pricey.

My skin seem to like the texture and the feel of the product for the first couple of times, but it was short lived as at the end of the trial week I had small red patches all over my face. I haven't changed my skin care routine just introduced a new product! And guess what, as soon as I stopped using the primer my skin got back to normalcy. I should have checked the ingredients more carefully, but luckily it was just a sample size!

For that reason, I would not buy it again unless JI changed the formula and removed the 'dirty' ingredient!

on 10/7/2015 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

It seems like with Jane Iredale I either love a product or hate it, and this one just didn't work out for me. It went on nice enough and felt moist, but it didn't do anything for my skin like smooth out pores or lines. As the day wore on my face started to get dry and rough looking. I tried again the next day, but had the same results so I returned it.

on 7/17/2015 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is the ONLY primer I've used that doesn't break me out, HG!!!!

on 1/10/2014 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is a great smelling, easy to blend, lightweight primer. I got a deluxe sample with the plan to try it under Jane Iredale's mineral powder foundation (which I love). I am not "in love" with this primer though it's definitely a very nice, high quality product with good ingredients, but lacking SPF. The price is a bit too high for the quantity (IMHO), but the main thing I don't like about it is if it's not TOTALLY dry and absorbed into your skin (which takes a few minutes) before you put on makeup, it cakes up. I wasted a lot of my sample due to having to start over because of this issue. I am "in love" with Chanel's Le Blanc Brightening Make up Base which has SPF30 and Natura Bisse Diamond Drops. I will go back to those and won't buy this in the full size.

on 5/18/2013 12:45:00 PM