Jane Iredale smooth Affair Facial Primer & Brightener

3.5

Not tested on animals

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

It smells nice and goes on nice but it did nothing for my pores at all! Or my fine lines. I like a primer that minimizes them, unfortunately this did not do it for me. And with the price tag I would expect more. I have oily skin and have tried both versions of the primer and neither helped w oil control.

on 12/8/2015 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Besides smelling wonderful, this product disappointed me. I had asked for a sample on the JI website and I am glad I did. When I first applied, it seemed very thin and has a light citrusy scent which was nice. However, that's about it. I didn't notice that it made my makeup look any smoother than any other mousturizer and I did not notice it made any different in the longevity of my makeup. I will definitely not purchase this.

To Read all 12 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/14/2015 7:00:00 AM

I would like to give it a higher rating, but it contains cyclopentasiloxane, which is possible cancer hazard, thus it deserves just 2 lipsticks. I have extremely sensitive skin thus I bought sample size as oppose to full size which is rather pricey.

My skin seem to like the texture and the feel of the product for the first couple of times, but it was short lived as at the end of the trial week I had small red patches all over my face. I haven't changed my skin care routine just introduced a new product! And guess what, as soon as I stopped using the primer my skin got back to normalcy. I should have checked the ingredients more carefully, but luckily it was just a sample size!

For that reason, I would not buy it again unless JI changed the formula and removed the 'dirty' ingredient!

on 10/7/2015 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

It seems like with Jane Iredale I either love a product or hate it, and this one just didn't work out for me. It went on nice enough and felt moist, but it didn't do anything for my skin like smooth out pores or lines. As the day wore on my face started to get dry and rough looking. I tried again the next day, but had the same results so I returned it.

on 7/17/2015 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is the ONLY primer I've used that doesn't break me out, HG!!!!

on 1/10/2014 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is a great smelling, easy to blend, lightweight primer. I got a deluxe sample with the plan to try it under Jane Iredale's mineral powder foundation (which I love). I am not "in love" with this primer though it's definitely a very nice, high quality product with good ingredients, but lacking SPF. The price is a bit too high for the quantity (IMHO), but the main thing I don't like about it is if it's not TOTALLY dry and absorbed into your skin (which takes a few minutes) before you put on makeup, it cakes up. I wasted a lot of my sample due to having to start over because of this issue. I am "in love" with Chanel's Le Blanc Brightening Make up Base which has SPF30 and Natura Bisse Diamond Drops. I will go back to those and won't buy this in the full size.

on 5/18/2013 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Smells amazing . Didn't clog pores . Beautiful primer

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was never a big fan of primers, especially since most of them just make my skin oilier. When I tried JI Smooth Affair, I fell in love. First, it feels like a silky serum. It leaves the skin feeling really soft and supple. I do recommend that you let it fully dry before applying foundation. Secondly, this primer works with any foundation. It worked well with the BB cream, Dream Tint and the Pure Pressed. It keeps my make up from caking. I will even wear this on its own. Lastly, it does not make your face itch. I hated how other primers felt heavy and had so much fragrance that I found myself scratching my face every so often. JI primer does have fragrance but it is not overbearing. Overall, it is an excellent primer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

1. Smells good

2. Nice packaging

3. Some good ingredients

But wowsa that's some hefty price tag for a moisturizer. Is it worth it for just something nicely packaged that smells good? It's not much of a primer and brightens nothing in my opinion, it's just a moisturizer so if I want a luxury item I'd rather have Chantecaille, Chanel or La Prairie if I'm shopping to impress.

on 9/23/2012 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

this definitely does what they say - makes bb cream go on more easily and smoothly. I use much less bb cream when this is applied first. smells amazing. It is great used around eyes before applying bb cream - keeps the bb cream from drying eye area and makes it go on smoothly. I might buy again, still not sure.

Feels great as its applied, does leave a nice smooth finish, but not sure it's something I need - might be redundant for me. I think in summer when I'm using lighter serums it may be more neccessary.
I've seen no pore shrinkage or smoothing of lines or my mildly lumpy rosacea areas.

It may keep the bb cream or powder in place longer. If they offered a travel size I'd say definitely try it but it's too pricey at full size just to try.
sorry, i'll have to do a more scientific trial and update this.