Alpha Skin Care Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHA

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
Alpha Skin Care Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHA
Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHAAlpha Skin Care

4.5

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Matricaria Extract, Green Tea Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aloe Baradensis Juice, Wheatgemamidopropyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cellulose Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate. (note they have reformulated and changed the preservative to a less irritating ingredient)

on 7/23/2016 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm a big fan of Alpha Hydrox 12% Souffle (now called Alpha Enhanced Revitalizing Skin Cream), and was excited to try the serum. The old name is Alpha Hydrox Intensive Serum, and it came in a bottle with a flip-top cap. The new version is the same formula, new name Alpha Intensive Rejuvinating Serum, and it comes in a pump, which is a great packaging improvement. The product is water-like in consistency, a bit slippery which helps in spreading it over skin. It is fragrance free, but has a slight vinegar-like scent which I've noticed with most AHA products. I use bare hands to apply it--I put a few drops in my cupped hand, quickly rub my hands together and glide it over my skin.

For my face, I only use AHA around 3 times a week at night, and alternate other nights with a low concentration prescription Retin-A. There is no doubt that the Alpha products are effective as I had smoother skin overnight when I first started using them, and I continue to enjoy clear, radiant skin with regular use. AHA was a great addition to my routine, and as a plus, it eliminated the flaking problem I had from Retin-A. There is also solid research showing that AHA does provide skin repair and improvement over time, which is a potent anti-aging perk!

Having said that, for use on my face, I found the 14% AHA concentration to be a little too much, even after working up to it with the Alpha 12% skin cream. On my body, it has been superlative, and I've been able to use it daily. When applied on my upper arms, it keeps my KP in check better than any other product I've tried. When used on my hands before hand cream, it smooths rough patches, even around the knuckles. I think it would also be great on other thickened areas on the body such as elbows, knees and feet, although I haven't tried that yet.

All the Alpha products are fairly priced, although not widely available. I have only seen them in one local store, and they do not carry the full line. However, the company does have a very nice web site and online store, so the products can be easily mail ordered. Many of the formulae are simple, but all are balanced to the correct pH to optimize effectiveness. The company is open about publishing their ingredients, so it is easy to check for the right product before purchasing. I really can't say enough good things about Alpha and their AHA products. I'm a customer for life!

One thing to beware of--if using AHA, make sure it is not applied to broken skin, or it will burn! Small cuts, chapped areas, etc., must be mostly healed to avoid irritation. Also, AHA makes skin more sensitive to sun damage, so it is imperative to wear sun screen daily.

on 12/11/2015 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

WOW! This product is just amazing! It's cheap in price, but the ingredients in this is top notch! Doesn't contain any comedogenic ingredients and it is the right pH and concentration to actually work wonders on the skin! I saw immediate results after one night . My skin is smoother and my blemishes (which I got from using Josie Maran's Argan Oil Light) have dramatically decreased. The texture is watery and soaks right into my skin. I layer Josie Maran's Argan Oil (the regular version!) over it every night and I get baby soft skin in the morning. If you are new to aha products, I would recommend patch testing as the concentration of this product is pretty high. But I used this just fine and did not even feel a tingle. So glad I found this product!

on 6/10/2014 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Have been using this for about a month. Very light weight watery serum, easy to use. I thought at 14% it would be more stingy but it is not at all which makes me wonder how effective it is. pH is 3.7. I used to use the souffle which stung more than this at 12%. My skin is happy with it though. So don't be afraid to try this because of the higher percentage acid. It has some nice conditioning agents in it.

on 2/7/2013 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is a very effective product. It has a consistency like water. It dries very quickly, and makeup wears well over it; it does not affect makeup application. I've had no irritation/stinging, and it leaves my skin radiant after usage. I am very clog-prone and break out very easily; this has not broken me out, and it appears to have faded some of my sun spots and acne scars. I've used this for 6 months and will continue to use. I only purchase when it's on sale.

Update 9/2014: I was given MD Forte Lotion II and MD Forte Lotion III; I loooooove them! However, I will not be able to afford them when finished, so then it will be back to Alpha Hydrox Intensive Serum.

Update 7/09/14: I bounced this down a lippie. I started using this again after I ran out of my MD Forte Lotion I & Lotion II. This Alpha Hydrox Serum broke me out after only 2 nights of use. Before when I was using it, I was aggressively exfoliating every morning & evening--as well as using RetinoA. As my routine has changed to a gentler, less aggressive approach, the propyl glycol broke me out (as it usually does). Also, this product stings much more than the MD Forte did, even with the Facial Lotion II, which is 20%). My oily, hyper-allergic skin responded so well to the MD Forte Facial Lotions that switching back to this didn't work out. This serum, while a nice consistency, left my face with an oily sheen, and exacerbated my oil production; most products do that to me, so I didn't think anything of it. However, the MD Forte Facial Lotions actually reduced my oil production, dried matte, and made such a visible/noticeable difference that I realized that I didn't HAVE to stay with products that did perform as well. Sadly, the MD Forte Facial Lotions have been discontinued. (Am always the last to find out.) I found an e-store that still had some, and stocked up. While I wouldn't buy the Alpha Hydrox Serum again, it is an excellent product--it just doesn't work as well with my skin.