Alpha Skin Care Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHA

Filtered by age: 44-55
Alpha Skin Care Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHA
Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHAAlpha Skin Care

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Matricaria Extract, Green Tea Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aloe Baradensis Juice, Wheatgemamidopropyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cellulose Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate. (note they have reformulated and changed the preservative to a less irritating ingredient)

on 4/23/2017 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Omg!!!!! I super love this stuff! This is what keeps me from breaking out! I buy several bottles every time I go to Ulta! This is worth a try if you break out in your 40s!

on 12/18/2016 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using Alpha products since they hit the market over two decades ago (when they were Alpha Hydrox) and the very first AHAs on the market. It's been a staple in my routine ever since, and you can look at my pics to see what this, strong sunscreen, and a few other potions (primarily Paula's Choice serums) have done for a 45 yo smoker (the b&w pic does have airbrushing, I'll admit, if anyone looks) who has never had a chemical peel, been in a tanning bed, or had any plastic surgery. I'm proof it's THE Holy Grail product along with a properly pH'd BHA, which declogs pores & prevents blackheads.

I use this first, then a BHA (unless my skin needs me to ease off, which happens in cold weather), a serum, Olay Total Effects 7 in the pump container (best deal for a whopping dose of skin-repairing niacinamide), and maybe Cerave Healing Ointment or vaseline under my eyes, around my mouth and along my nose.

If that's too much for you, by all means make this one the start of your nightly routine followed by whatever potion you like. It exfoliates skin, thus turning cells over faster & reducing fine lines, pores, imperfections & discolorations. It takes skin six weeks to turn over, so don't expect immediate results from anything not prescribed by a doctor. It will sting at first application, and this may subside for you, or you may be like me and forever experience at least an initial tingle.

WARNING: if you're new to using AHAs, I strongly recommend beginning with a 8-10% AHA solution because 14% is almost the strongest you can go without a prescription. It's easy to go overboard & end up causing more harm than good, then blaming the product. Gentle is always the key, as you can always build up but not build down.

on 9/22/2016 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm on my third or fourth bottle of this serum. It has quality ingredients, the price is amazingly low and it is effective. I use it most nights before I moisturize. It keeps my skin looking clear, fresh and tight. I LOVE this line and have been a faithful customer of this brand for years! Even when I stray, I always come back!

on 7/23/2016 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm a big fan of Alpha Hydrox 12% Souffle (now called Alpha Enhanced Revitalizing Skin Cream), and was excited to try the serum. The old name is Alpha Hydrox Intensive Serum, and it came in a bottle with a flip-top cap. The new version is the same formula, new name Alpha Intensive Rejuvinating Serum, and it comes in a pump, which is a great packaging improvement. The product is water-like in consistency, a bit slippery which helps in spreading it over skin. It is fragrance free, but has a slight vinegar-like scent which I've noticed with most AHA products. I use bare hands to apply it--I put a few drops in my cupped hand, quickly rub my hands together and glide it over my skin.

For my face, I only use AHA around 3 times a week at night, and alternate other nights with a low concentration prescription Retin-A. There is no doubt that the Alpha products are effective as I had smoother skin overnight when I first started using them, and I continue to enjoy clear, radiant skin with regular use. AHA was a great addition to my routine, and as a plus, it eliminated the flaking problem I had from Retin-A. There is also solid research showing that AHA does provide skin repair and improvement over time, which is a potent anti-aging perk!

Having said that, for use on my face, I found the 14% AHA concentration to be a little too much, even after working up to it with the Alpha 12% skin cream. On my body, it has been superlative, and I've been able to use it daily. When applied on my upper arms, it keeps my KP in check better than any other product I've tried. When used on my hands before hand cream, it smooths rough patches, even around the knuckles. I think it would also be great on other thickened areas on the body such as elbows, knees and feet, although I haven't tried that yet.

All the Alpha products are fairly priced, although not widely available. I have only seen them in one local store, and they do not carry the full line. However, the company does have a very nice web site and online store, so the products can be easily mail ordered. Many of the formulae are simple, but all are balanced to the correct pH to optimize effectiveness. The company is open about publishing their ingredients, so it is easy to check for the right product before purchasing. I really can't say enough good things about Alpha and their AHA products. I'm a customer for life!

One thing to beware of--if using AHA, make sure it is not applied to broken skin, or it will burn! Small cuts, chapped areas, etc., must be mostly healed to avoid irritation. Also, AHA makes skin more sensitive to sun damage, so it is imperative to wear sun screen daily.

on 6/10/2014 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Have been using this for about a month. Very light weight watery serum, easy to use. I thought at 14% it would be more stingy but it is not at all which makes me wonder how effective it is. pH is 3.7. I used to use the souffle which stung more than this at 12%. My skin is happy with it though. So don't be afraid to try this because of the higher percentage acid. It has some nice conditioning agents in it.

on 11/22/2012 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I concur with the first reviewer. I tried this as an AHA replacement for the swipes (also a good product). This IS oil free, it dries completely with no residue, makeup goes on well over it, and no burning/irritation--for me--and I'm allergic to most everything. I bought backups when it went on sale After 2 months of morning use, I'm very pleased with the product and it's results. Yes, I would buy it again--and recommend it to others.