La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Daily Anti-Aging Primer with Sunscreen

La Roche-Posay  Anthelios 50 Daily Anti-Aging Primer with Sunscreen

3.8

Key Ingredients Avobenzone 3% (sunscreen) Homosalate 10% (suncreen) Octisalate 5% (sunscreen) Octocrylene 5% (sunscreen) Oxybenzone 6% (sunscreen) Other Ingredients: dimethicone,C12-15 alkyl benzoate, talc, diisopropyl sebacate, silica, silica silylate, glycerin, trimethylsiloxysilicate, dimethicone crosspolymer, water, diethylhexyl syringylidenemalonate, cassa alata leaf extract, maltodextrin

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This broke me out soooo bad.

on 7/30/2017 10:17:00 AM

I love this as a sunscreen. I have never used this as a primer because I very, very rarely wear face makeup in the summer.

Some people here critique the texture (it's waxy & thick), but I love it. It doesn't truly soak it your face, and does act as a film barrier; it doesn't bother me, but it could bother others. You have to apply liberally to have enough to spread around because of how thick it is. The texture is beneficial for me because it is NOT greasy at all, and makes my combo skin/oily t-zone pretty matte! Also, it does NOT make my skin breakout or irritate my skin/pre-existing acne. Also, the smell is fine: noticeable when applying but in no way overpowering or offensive.

As a sunscreen, it is absolutely great. I have spent significant time in the sun with this and only this(5+ hours of direct summer sun exposure for multiple consecutive and nonconsecutive days), and I did not get burnt. Just follow the standard sunscreen instructions on the tube :). Because of my sensitive skin, I can only use baby sunscreen on my face (but real sunscreen makes everyone look like a wet seal lol), but this looks wonderfully matte and makes me feel confident.

Personally, I am not sure how it would be as a primer based solely on texture; the only primers I have ever used were liquid-based, and this feels like it could a bit thick/heavy-feeling for a primer, but this is not in my area of knowhow lol

The tube is little and it may seem like you got ripped off for the price point, but it has lasted me about 2-2.5 months of everyday/almost everyday use and makes the price totally justifiable. I don't like tubes in general, but I love how small the tube is, to be honest, because it doesn't clutter my bathroom cabinet.

In summary: I love this as a sunscreen; it makes my skin matte and really does protect my face. It has been my go-to face sunscreen for the summer and will continue to be so.

on 5/18/2015 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This has probably got excellent protection but you obviously have to apply a serious amount in order to be protected but it is so oily! i don't see how this product can act as a primer and help makeup to stay put if it is already oily by itself! when you spread the product on the face you can see all your fine hair all shiny....
It does smooth skin a little but nothing exciting. Definitely won't repurchase because i will probably never finish this tube, i get sooooo shiny with this!

I am usually really impressed with the quality of LRP's products but this is an exception to that. It has a really odd consistency - like soft beeswax - and leaves a waxy, powdery film on your face. Many reviewers here and elsewhere have complained that it's hard to apply because of the thick quality. That wasn't my experience but it is strange. Worst of all, it clogged my pores and made me break out. I will not be buying this again. In fact, I'm returning what I didn't use to Amazon. P.S. The packaging almost guarantees a lot of waste so it's also not very cost effective.

on 7/7/2015 3:00:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

It's a primer and it's spf - it should be the last thing in your skincare routine and before your foundation or tint. I've been using this primer for years and love it. It is creamy and does blur, and the spf is great without looking chalky or creating flashback, and I never burn with it. Even better, it doesn't break me out. The packaging is terrible, though - when you can't get any more out of it there's about a month's worth of product left. I just cut open the bottle and scoop the rest into an opaque travel container, though. Your best bet for price in the US is Amazon, though CVS does great LRP coupons and will occasionally mark the entire Anthelios line down to $20.

on 11/8/2014 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Migraineurs beware. I suffer from migraines triggered by a multitude of foods, smells, and unfortunately this primer-sunscreen. I cannot pinpoint what ingredient sets my migraine off but whatever it is exists in this primer. After multiple trials not believing that a skin product could trigger a migraine, I finally gave up using this product. Within 10 minutes of application I felt the symptoms of a migraine approaching including nausea and a general ill feeling. I washed my face and called it quits with this particular product.

I use sunscreen daily and have never experienced a reaction like this to any product prior. I'm hoping this is an isolated incident and that I don't have to start keeping a log of cosmetic products like how I did to determine my food triggers.

on 12/11/2013 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I bought this on the Walgreen's assistant recommendation and I have been very happy with it! I am always trying to whittle down the amount of products I use and this is great because of the sunscreen and a primer both. It's very thick but a little does go a long ways. I get out of the shower, use my toners and then a moisturizer and then top it with this primer. I then dry my hair and allow it to sink in really well. No problems with balling up. I took a lippie off for the price but when you consider you are just buying one product instead of two, it's not bad. I like the other LRP Anthelios sunscreen a lot too. I like this brand a lot and will continue to buy.

on 7/13/2014 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really REALLY wanted to like this as I've been searching for a replacement to my holy grail spf 50 primer (the old mac formula), but this was awful!!!

The consistency was so thick and I felt like it never absorbed or dried, it just sat on top of my skin like a greasy mess. And even hours later when I touched my face...my foundation just slid off! Not a tiny bit of residue, I'm talking about the entire area looked like there wasn't any foundation on it any more! It completely came off!!

I'd compare the consistency to L'oreal magic perfecting base only greasier (and much more expensive!) So if you like that product, maybe you'll like this.

It also pills under foundation! I tried it with 3 different kinds of foundation (they were each different formulas too) and it pilled underneath ALL of them. THEN I thought maybe if I mixed it with a liquid foundation it would work better, and it was slightly better, but the formula was still a nightmare.

The only positive I can think of is the packaging.

If you're going to buy this do yourself a favor and try a sample first!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and if anyone finds a primer of spf for the face that is similar to MAC's original spf 50 prep & prime PLEASE message me! :)

on 2/18/2014 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was reading in Harper's Bazaar magazine about making your face look fresh and using a SPF and Primer combined. I normally use La Roche products and saw that they had a SPF/Primer combo. I must say I really like it and it helps smooth out lines around your eyes. I would suggest using a moisturizer with a tint for a little color if you are pale. Over all I would recommend it.

on 8/19/2014 1:06:00 PM

This product is thicker and more opaque than the average primer, but it does mattify as soon as it goes on your skin and has the typical silicone feel, except heavier because it's thick, which may feel heavy to some people but I really like the smoothness and I don't mind. Slight smell but not too bad. Very expensive for what it is. Do not rely on this for your suncreen protection because you can 't put very much on (silicone primer) and you won't get the adequate amount on your face for the sunscreen to work. Over time it does not help "fix" the skin, it just mattifies and feels nice on the skin. Overall, just like any other silicone primer, maybe more mattifying and thicker.