Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shea Butter Soap with Songyi Mushroom

4.1

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

I love this soap and have been purchasing it for about a year now. The ingredients are gentle enough not to strip the skin of moisture and the scent is light and pleasant. I am sensitive to most average soaps and body wash products and I love that this soap does not cause any irritation to my skin.

I recently bought four different SheaMoisture bar soaps during their buy one get one free sale at Walgreens and this was one of them. I have only used it about three times and I really like it. I usually use the green tea and olive soap from Shea moisture. While I still love that soap I am liking this new coconut one too. The larger is so creamy and it is very moisturizing. It does not smell like the other coconut & hibiscus products. This soap has a very light vanilla scent with a hint of a play dough smell. The scent does not linger on the skin so the play dough part doesn't bother me. I will update once I have been using a while on the toning and brightening effects.

To Read all 10 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love this soap. It has a nice light scent and moisturizes the skin really well leaving it really soft. My skin also feels very clean. It lasts a long time.

on 1/27/2015 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Lathers up well and does not strip the skin. Pricier than most DS soap bars but it is also larger. I sliced my bar in half and felt that the product lasted longer this way. Scent-wise, there is a pleasant but not overpowering fragrance of coconut. I have been using this soap bar twice a day for several months. Moisturizing qualities aside, I have not noticed any "brightening" or "evening of discolorations", so I can't attest to those claims made by the brand.

Compared to Alaffia, Pre de Provence, and Trader Joe's lavender soap bar, I felt that this soap bar was the most moisturizing and it is one of my favorites for winter.

on 12/6/2014 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I like this soap! It looks like soft vanilla fudge and is actually soft enough that I can slice it with a knife. There are dark bits of mushroom in it, which does not look at all appealing, especially as I dislike mushrooms. It produces a rich lather and the scent is absolutely divine. Feels squeaky clean after a shower and I look forward to multiple showers a day, because of this soap, lol! I use it on the face and it has cleared up my face and back acne and made the skin smooth. The scent persists after the shower and smells like vanilla, coconut and floral.
Be careful to not keep the soap in an open dish. It chips and dissolves very easily. The bar is huge but I don't think it would last for more than a month at the rate I am using it!

3.5/5 because if I use this soap several days consecutively, it causes few breakouts or buildup, making the skin look dull.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE iT! Best Soap Ever! Smells great. Amazing rich lather I may give up my shave gel. I feel squeaky clean. Lasts a long time. No questionable ingredients.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I like it, no complaints. I lather up with soap, then add some sugar to exfoliate. I'm trying out the other Shea Moisture soap bars but so far the coconut hibiscus soap is my fave. I had less breakouts for some reason when I started using this.

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Thus far I am the minority here in that I absolutely love this bar soap! I am convinced that going through only one bar of it has helped with my upper shoulder and back acne, for one, and has really made my skin smooth and moisturized. I am a total fan.

on 1/4/2013 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I cannot believe Shea Moisture changed the formula to this body wash. The other formula was so much better. My skin would feel clean, moisturized and smelled good. This new formula leaves my skin feeling itchy and dry after I take a shower. Don't ever buy this body wash and I'm recommending that!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

First I will say that I really like the Shea Moisture brand. I have used their hair products-shampoos, curling products- and have been impressed, so when I saw this soap at Target, I really wanted to try it. I was intrigued by the claims on the packaging which stated that it helps with brightening and evening out skin tone, and it has anti-aging properties.

This soap smells really good. It has a nice, sweet coconut scent, but it isn't overpowering, which I like. I use exfoliating gloves when I shower, and I only had to apply the soap on the gloves one time during the entire shower. It produced a very rich, creamy lather. It makes my skin feel clean, but not stripped of moisture, and my skin is feeling even softer than before.

I can't wait to keep using the product to see if I notice any brightening and evening out of my skin's tone, as I have a few scars and areas that are darker than others. I'm happy with this purchase. I paid five dollars for the bar, which I thought was a little expensive (I am used to buying Dove bars which are much cheaper), but it is definitely worth it.

EDIT: I used this bar up completely, but I realized that it wasn't helping to provide any moisture to my skin. I did feel clean, but I did have that "stripped feeling". Also, the bar smelled great before I used it, but once I did, I could no longer smell the coconut. I will not be repurchasing this product.