L'Oreal Extraordinary Oil

L'Oreal Extraordinary Oil
L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Chamomilla Recutita Extract/ Matricaria Flower Extract, Cocos Nucifera Oil/ Coconut Oil, Nelumbium Speciosum Extract/ Nelumbium Speciosum Flower Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Cinnamal, Linalool, Linum Usitatissimum Flower Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Rosa Canina Flower Extract, Bisabolol, Glycine Soja Oil/Soybean Oil, Parfum/ Fragrance

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This serum is terrible. The only thing it has going for it is the lack of fragrance (even though fragrance is listed in the ingredients, I smell nothing). Other than that, this is a thick goopy almost gel-like serum that does nothing for my fine hair. It doesn’t even weigh it down...it just does nothing. No frizz control, no shine, just nothing. Spend your money on anything else.

I visited my mom where tap water is as hard as a rock- after a few washes my hair got dry, dull and frizzy (I was breaking out on my face pretty badly too, eh). I wanted a product I could use on wet hair, before blow drying, and that would soften them. This product, combined with rinsing my hair with bottled water at the end of washing, restored their previous (already pretty good) condition.

I don't use it on dry hair because of their structure- straight, fine, flat, they don't tolerate large amounts of product. But as a leave-in conditioner, it this oil works wonderfully. Makes brushing wet hair a lot easier. Smells lovely, a pump or two is more than enough for one use. One bottle will last me for very long. I don't use it too often because I don't want to add too much weight to my hair, especially now when I'm back home (where water is a lot softer) and I don't necessarily need high maintenance conditioner.

Btw: I live in EU, but ingredients list of my product is same as product's on this page, so I decided to write a review here. :)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair type: Coarse frizzy/wavy hair (bought the oil for all hair types)
Method of application:
1. After shower, wait for hair to be 80% dry before applying oil on hair ends
OR
2. Applying to ends of fully dried hair whenever my hair feels like it's lacking moisture

First Impression:
Initially, I was quite in love with the product. It absorbed fast and my hair felt soft and quite shiny without leaving any greasy feeling. Also, the smell was great.

After:
Halfway through the bottle, I realised my hair started falling like crazy but I blamed this problem on exam stress. When I ran out of the oil, I took a 2 week break to hunt for the oil. During that time, I realised my hair stopped dropping as much although I had a higher level of stress and a healthier diet.

However, I did check with my sister about it since she shared the oil with me. She felt that she didn't really have a problem like mine and the oil seemed to work on her hair quite well. (BTW she has much finer and straighter hair compared to mine)

Verdict: For hair types like mine, please proceed with caution. For my sis's hair type, maybe it will work better for you. :)

on 6/23/2017 4:54:00 AM

Does exactly what its meant to- makes my hair softer and more manageable for the 2-3 days until I wash it again.
It does make a massive difference and is one of the few products I use that hasn't been disappointing and actually does what its supposed to do!

I used to love this oil and it was the only thing that gave my hair shine without giving it that greasy look, now, a year or two later, my hair is complitely matte after using this and if I put more of it, it just looks like I haven't washed my hair. Smell is the only thing that stayed the same.. I still like it, but will not be buying it again

on 3/31/2017 7:38:00 AM

I really do not like the fact that the version for colored hair has alcohol in it.I also did not notice any change in my hair

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Did nothing much for my hair, though it smells really good! Like literally, it has no effects on my hair, it was not weighed down nor tamed.

on 3/21/2017 7:51:00 PM

Great oil for dry hair.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This oil is light, tames my hair very well and keeps it soft throughout the day. Love the smell as well. Would buy it again if there are no hair oils that work better!

on 11/27/2016 10:07:00 AM

I purchased this oil (yellow pump) years ago. My hair is very dry with oily roots and I hate the greasy feeling that most oils save the jojoba oil gives my hair. I just want a leave in product smooths my hair and detangles it without weighting it down. Therefore I decided to buy this one based on all these raving reviews here. After a month of using this (Garbage) my hair started breaking awfully I was shocked when I notice how hair became weak easy breaking and heavy. I never figured out what is the problem until one of the reviewer explained that it was due to being loaded with silicons. Well I believed that at that time and I stopped using anything with silicons until one day I bought another silicon based serum from s high end brand but I was in a hurry and didn't read the ingredients list. I used it anyway and I have to say it left my hair soft, smooth and never weighed it down. I dont know what is the issue here with this product !!!!!! But I have to say that the high brand serum was sodium chloride, sulphates, phosphates and paraben free.