Sonia Kashuk Brush & Sponge Cleanser

Sonia Kashuk Brush & Sponge Cleanser

2.6

This product is awful. I have used so many brush cleansers and I have never seen anything like this. I sprayed on a good amount as the directions specified and it literally did nothing. I get way better results with baby shampoo. Honestly it felt like I was just running water over my brush.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I was previously using hand soap to clean my makeup tools, which seemed to work fine but after awhile it seemed like my brushes were getting stiff and prickly feeling. I finally decided to get some actual brush cleaner. I like that it's a spray because you don't need a lot. I could see all the makeup running into the sink. My brushes are back to normal and no longer feel prickly. My beauty sponge feels bouncier and looks clean (despite a few stains that wouldn't come out.) The spray is pretty gentle and didn't seem to leave any residue on anything. It smells like lavender to me.

To Read all 15 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am pretty sure I remember reading this was re-formulated quite some time ago. My bottle is the 'new' formula. I used it the first time to clean about 15 brushes and it worked like a charm. Very subtle smell that was pleasant to me (and I am picky and sensitive abopt smells and scents). It did a good job, I was pleased. I feel it is a very good brush cleaner for the price. And easy to access as Targets are everywhere and the closest Sephora and Ulta to me are both an hour away. However, bummer, the spray nozzle on my bottle did stop working, so I had to transfer the product to another spray bottle. So for that I took a star off. I tried all the tricks, running the nozzle under hot water, etc.. And this stopped working after only like the 2nd or third time I used it, so I still had a good part of product (almost all, actually) left. I would have returned it for an exchange except the receipt was gone. But the product works just great. Cleans the brushes well, is easy to use, and just leaves a very subtle (imo) pleasing scent. I would re-purchase but will definitely hang on to the receipt next time just in case I get another faulty spray bottle. But the product itself imo works every bit as good as the more expensive brush cleansers.

on 1/16/2015 11:42:00 AM

This is much cheaper than most spray-on brush cleaners, but a huge waste of money. Even after spraying tons of product on my brushes, I could still see foundation and concealer on the brushes, which comes out easily when I use a shampoo or face cleanser. No sense in spending 7 bucks plus tax on something that doesn't do what it promises. I have found most of Sonia's products to be high quality, affordable alternatives to high end options, so this one was a big disappointment.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

UPDATE: OMG, THIS DESTROYS MAKEUP SPONGES it's like some crazy beast like my blending sponge literally mutated. MUTATED. So, don't follow the instructions on the back and "spray a generous amount" onto the sponge, you will have a deformed sponge and it will take forever to wring it out to bring it back to it's regular fluffy self.
I swear I thought this was gonna kill my makeup tools...
if you've bought this don't just throw it in the trash though just use a little bit sprayed onto your sponges if you do use them, I've noticed that works better.

This is actually a pretty good product. I don't understand all the bad reviews it's not even that bad. If you use makeup that's easy to get out (non long wearing or waterproof) this will do the job pretty nicely! It got out most of the foundation in my blending sponge, the rest of it was removed with dove bar soap but I could have used this cleanser again and it would do the same thing.

What I do is squirt it from afar so it's not a stream, it's somewhat more like a spray (not really but you get the idea) and make sure I hit all the stains and then leave it in there for a few seconds and then start massaging the sponge and it works great!

Would I repurchase? No...because I can just use dove soap to clean my sponge and I use shampoo for my brushes but because I have a bottle of this just sitting there I'll use it until it finishes.

on 6/5/2014 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was super disappointed with this cleanser. I usually wash my brushes with Olive oil & dawn dish soap, but was looking for something different because I have a lot of trouble getting my revlon colorstay foundation out of my brushes. I had high hopes for this cleanser! I sprayed a generous amount on to my brushes with futile results. Not one ounce of makeup came off!! Needless to say, I'll be returning this asap. Only plus is the price (6.99) was definitely affordable for a cleanser had it worked properly!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I normally just use baby shampoo to clean my makeup brushes, but I wanted to try something else, so I thought I'd try this. I was not impressed. This product is for deep cleaning your sponges and brushes. I used one of my foundation brushes to see how it would clean it, but it didn't even remove all of the foundation. Then I tried it on one of my dark eyeshadow brushes, and there was a lot left over in the brush. The worst part is the packaging, it doesn't "spray", it only "squirts" as in it comes out in a long stream of liquid. I returned it and got more baby shampoo.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Whenever Sonia Kashuk redid the packaging for the brand, they must have changed the formula for this. Which is really unfortunate because I loved the 'original.' The 'new' version is absolute crap. I used it to clean a brush that I use solely for face powder (which other brush cleansers usually have no problem cleaning) and this BARELY removed any of the makeup off. Such crap! I am pretty sure that it probably won't do anything for a liquid or cream foundation brush. Along with the 'new' formula' and packaging, the nozzle on the new bottle sucks too. The old packaging with the white nozzel would spray a fine mist of the cleanser onto the brush, the new one just squirts it out. Ugh.

The 'original' cleanser was fantastic though and I purchased many bottles of it.

I guess it's time to find a new one.

on 9/8/2013 1:56:00 AM

I was so happy to read "brush and SPONGE cleanser"
I REALLY wanted to like this product because it was so cheap and i finally found something to clean my brushes and my beauty blender sponge. P.s i dislike returning things, its such a drag.
So i gave it a try, i used my beauty blender on it, and MOST of the makeup did come off but after squeezing and squeezing the excess water off, little bubbles went into the water (indicating that there was still some of the product in there)
I was also hoping that it would bubble up and it would be foamy, but it wasnt at all. Even with more than 2 sprays, it wouldnt foam up!
The product wouldnt come out!!
So i tried it on one of my brushes, and the makeup came off fast, but it just didnt seem like the brush was thoroughly clean
The smell isnt that great, i was hoping it wouldnt be so scented,
I dont even know how to describe the smell, its bleh!
Overall, didnt like it, i guess i have to keep searching or just make my own!

on 8/19/2013 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like everything about this sponge/brush cleaner! It lathers really well with a lot smaller amount than I expected.
I switched from Sephora's Makeup Brush Shampoo which just uses so much product and always has to be washed twice. I've also tried baby shampoo but I also felt like I was just wasting a lot of product because of the bottle and trying to make sure I got a good lather. I also had to wash everything twice for it to feel clean.

Pros:
- sprays, foams and rinses out well
- can see everything coming washing off of brushes and sponges
- small amount of product needed
- easy to use spray bottle
- sponges and brushes feel and look a lot cleaner

Cons:
- no cons

This is recommended for a once a week shampoo. I hope Sonia Kashuk comes out with a daily brush/sponge cleanser similar to Sephora's daily antibacterial brush wash because I would definitely buy it if they did!

Popular Makeup Brushes