Carol's Daughter Monoi repairing hair mask

Carol's Daughter Monoi repairing hair mask

4.1

Coconut milk, coconut oil, raspberry seed oil, papaya oil, sweet almond oil, black currant oil, glycerine, aloe Vera extract, dimethicone, trimethicone, methylparaben.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

The best hair mask that i have ever tried period! I have tried natural based hair masks that don't even come close to giving me crazy slip, intense moisturization, and major softness to my hair like this hair mask does. Yes, it is not silicone free and that doesn't bother my hair one bit. It is strongly scented of monoi, but i actually like the scent of Monoi, so the scent is something i've gotten used to, and even though it is expensive, i buy it when it is offered within Monoi kits, which is more economical to do.

This conditioner has silk protein in it, which acts as a softening agent to ones hair. Silk protein is not a protein that dries out ones hair at all. And, i do use this mask with heat, every time i use it. I absolutely love this product, as it is like heaven in a jar for my hair.

When i started using this product, my hair was not in a damaged state, but a relatively healthy state. However, i figured that my hair can always use added strengthening to it, which is why, i started buying products from the Monoi line to use on my hair, and i have been very pleased with every Monoi product that i have ever bought and used on my hair.

on 2/25/2016 3:06:00 PM

I got a try me set of 2 oz each of the shampoo, conditioner and mask. I agree completely with everything the prior reviewer said about this mask. On the plus side, the fragrance isn't as strong as the fragrance in the shampoo and conditioner. But when I used all 3 products, I had the two worst hair days I've had in a long time. My hair was still dry, very tangled, frizzy and flyaway. I kept constantly getting random strands of hair in my mouth. Yuck. And I kept pulling out strands of my hair when I tried to run my hands through it. It reminded me of how it feels to pull an office supply rubberband out of your hair (if you ever had to use one of these in desperation when you didn't have a hair elastic, you know what I mean). My hair looked so bad on the second use that I actually contemplated going back into the shower to start over, which I only do on very rare occasions if my hair looks dirty (like if I use an oil too close to my scalp).

To Read all 28 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm so bummed I didn't like this product :(

I have fine yet very curly hair that craves moisture most of the time. That said, this line/ product claimed to be able to provide just that. I spent quite a bit of $$ on this and am sad to say it worked no better than $5 drug store brands....it didn't moisturize for me at all!

While the fragrance is indeed pleasant and I appreciate what this brand is all about, so far I've not found many products that deliver what is promised- this mask included. When I hear "mask", I think "intense hydration" and something you shouldn't need to do every day to see results. My hair felt just as dry after I used this as it did before so it wasn't a "winner" in my book.

on 12/3/2015 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this as a "daily" conditioner for a couple of years, and my hair has become so much healthier, shinier, softer, and less frizzy.

My hair is typically a couple of inches past my shoulders. It's a little dry and wavy and fine, but dense. The hair that grows from the crown is finer and softer than the thicker, coarser hair under it. Basically, every day I'm working with 2 different types of hair on one head, lol!

This product conditions the coarser, thicker hair without weighing down the finer hair on top.

After shampooing, I massage the mask into the ends, and then I use a wide tooth comb to disperse it through my hair. I try to use a little less or none at the roots on the crown of my head, but if I get too much on them it's not a big deal. I try to leave it in for a little bit. 3 min does the job, but it works a little better if you can leave it on longer. After 10 min, there doesn't seem to be a big difference. I wash my hair about every 3 days.

The fragrance is strong, but it will diminish after your hair dries. I really like the smell, but it's possible it's not for everyone.

One caution: if you sign up for emails on the carols daughter website, you'll get some really good deals on their products, but they email allllll the time. It'd be nice if they dialed it back 30-50%. I'm trying to decide if it's worth staying on their email list since this is the only carols daughter product that I use.

on 2/2/2015 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have fine frizzy damaged curly colores highlighted weak hair. I got this kit with matching shampoo conditioner and this mask. Ive used this mask after applying and washing out the conditioner my hair became soft and moisturized and not weighed down it felt much healthier. I havent used this product alone only in conjunction with the matching monoi conditioner. The matching shampoo was too drying. Scent is strong but after drying and flat ironing it goes away.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought the introductory kit to the monoi line and this was part of it along with the matching shampoo and conditioner. It smells wonderful but strongly of typical taire and coconut oil blends but it it had good slip and left my hair super soft and moisturized. My hair was left shiny but not greasy or weighed down. However the scent is strong and stays in my hair for a long time. My husband didn't care for it but also didn't complain about it so I guess it's not too bad. It is to pricey for the big jar so not too sure if I would repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have problem hair. Itís curly, porous, fine, frizzy and dry, and now that itís shoulder-length, damaged as well from years of highlights. I grew it out from a pixie cut, which was also color-treated, but since all nearly all the color went on fresh hair every time I got it cut, it didnít sustain as much damage. When it was shorter, I didnít need to use high-quality repairing products on it. I am also limited in the kind of shampoos I can use as my skin is highly sensitive to SLS, so I only use sulfate-free shampoos (and body wash, and cleansers, etc.)

When I realized I needed to step up my S & C game from what I was using when it was short, I recalled having a good experience with the Monoi shampoo and mask combo, so I bought both of them, followed by the Tui and Capuacu lines in the same combination. Theyíre all better than what Iíd been using, but donít fit my current needs.

Having used all 3 for some months now I think the CD S & Cs just arenít a great match for my hair. I find the shampoos to be drying (the Tui less so, but not by much) and leave my hair with a rough texture. Other shampoos do a nice job of leaving it smooth after cleansing (Ouidad Oil Cleanser and the Alterna Bamboo line, for instance) so itís not just my hair Ė itís the product.

The masks donít give enough moisture to compensate for the stripping effect from the shampoos. Of the 3, I find the Monoi to be the most hydrating and once I got used to it, Iíve come to really like the scent. But this mask is just okay, and not great. There are much better hair mask options out there for my hair (the Fekkai and Mixed Chicks ones for starters.)

The Capuacu (anti-frizz line) Iím not a fan of at all. It doesnít reduce frizz in the least and gives my hair a weird stretchiness as well as making it fuzzy. It also has a scent that Iím not at all fond of, which lingers for daaayyysss. To my nose, itís an odd combination of powdery floral mixed with butterscotch. Pass.

The Tui line has been repackaged as a color-care line but Iím not sure which of the ingredients in either the shampoo or mask would make it so. And again, the shampoo is stripping and the mask isnít moisturizing enough. The mask does have a thinner texture than the 2 others, which are quite thick, making it easier to distribute throughout my hair, but itís still a no-go for me. It has a floral-candy scent, reminiscent of many recently trendy perfumes marketed toward young women, which I donít object to particularly but isnít what I want my hair to smell like.

I do like a lot of CD styling products, but the S & C line just isnít for me. Hope this helps.

on 8/8/2014 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

For a little background, I have thick, coarse, long, wavy, colored hair and I've used a lot of masks but none like this one. So far it's my favorite; the smell is heavenly, like my hair went on vacation to Hawaii.
Unlike other masks, when I rub it into my hair, I feel it working instantly. I wash my hair and then squeeze all the water out and then separate my hair into two parts and start working the mask into the ends. As I work the product into my hair, my hair starts to feel all buttery and slippery - this has never happened with another mask. Other masks just feel like they're laying on top of my hair not actually seeping into the hair itself. I went swimming and the chlorine turned my hair into a dry tangled birds nest and I didn't even think this mask could help but all of the tangles were gone before my hair even dried! It makes it soft and shiny, I can't stop touching my hair. As for the price, I know it seems pretty expensive but a little goes a long way! I bought this back in November and I still have another month left! Again, my hair is LONG so that says a lot.
Also, the longer you leave it in, the better the product works. So I try to do it for about 20-30 minutes but not long enough for my hair to actually dry.

UPDATE: this is officially my desert island product. I ran out and stopped using it for two weeks and my hair sheds 3x as much then before and I'm DEFINITELY seeing more split ends. I need this to always be in my life!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a really tough product to review. I definitely felt that my hair had less breakage. I would say up to a good 60% less with this. It seemed to make my hair stronger so come brushing and flat iron time I saw less in the sink. The issue is that it doesnt moisturize much, and dry stronger hair isnt much better than moisturized weak hair. It's also very expensive, at a bit over 30 bucks. It just doesnt seem to be worth it for me for those two reasons. I do believe in the line and it may be an excellent product for someone who's hair isn't as dry.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Let me begin by saying that I am African American with a mid length Bob hair cut, my hair texture while wet is very thick and what I would call cup a noddle curls, however I recently colored my hair & it dramatically changed the texture for the worst. I have used various products in my day biosillk, biolage, keracare, nioxin, redkin, nexus, ganier nutrisse, neutrogena, apogee, aveda invati, olive oil conditioner, hell everything lol!!! But this mask is Everything, okay so I left it on for 30 mins with a plastic bag on my head and took my hair dryer and heated the treatment. I removed the mask & my hair was so fine and soft it was surreal, now generally my hair gets soft but not fine!!!! Then I blow dried my hair and there was substantially less shedding & I could run my fingers thru it without difficulty. Also when I blowdried my hair it looked as if I flat ironed it verses blowdried it so needless to say its amazing!! It was $32.00 plus tax at Sephora but I'd pay whatever for the health of my hair...