Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Oil-Free Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment & Moisturizer

4.1

-Salicylic Acid 1% Water, Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Acacia Decurrens/Jojoba/Sunflower Seed Wax/Polyglyceryl-3 Esters, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Squalane, Lecithin, Oligopeptide-10, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trimethylpentanediol/Adipic Acid Copolymer, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Ppg-12/Smdi Copolymer, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Edta, O-Cymen-5-Ol.

on 8/15/2017 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I've been looking for a good, effective BHA moisturizer/ exfoliant lotion for a long time now. A little background on my skin:
Even when I don't have "active" breakouts, I always get little whiteheads and blackheads as a matter of course. It doesn't matter how many charcoal masks I use, how much I keep my skin clean or use my Foreo Luna, or apply AHAs. I knew I needed BHAs, but was struggling to find the right one which would be effective for my stubborn, whitehead-prone skin.

I previously tried Paula's Choice BHA lotions (hopelessly ineffective on me.) I then tried Cos RX Blackhead Power serum, which was better but still not dramatically effective. I honestly didn't have very high hopes for this one, considering the BHA % is actually lower than those two. But lo and behold - I applied it the first night and instantly it had an undeniably smoothing effect!! It's like all the 'budding" bumps or whiteheads had been nipped in the bud, and it keeps the skin clog-free and gets rid of congestion.
My skin felt way smoother and softer with less clogging my pores, so this functions for me as a safety bet against acne.

What's been working for active acne is Avene's Triacneal cream (works a dream)... but for preservation of overall skin health and de-clogging, this is magic.

PROS:
Really gentle on skin
Moisturizing
Keeps skin clog-free
Helps stop the formation new budding whiteheads - BEST THING about this.
Not oily or greasy

CONS:
The lid is soo annoying - there is just 2 oz of this and a TON of product oozes out of the bottle at the mildest squeeze.
Expensive!! Especially for so little product.
Best to apply at night (though it's NOT thick or greasy -- so its not that you absolutely can't apply it during the day either..)

on 11/15/2016 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This has become my favorite BHA, but the price is prohibitive (I get a solid discount on most products). It's exceeding gentle for a BHA, has no smell, and left me with no irritation while using it 5 days per week (I take two days off for other serums). I like it better than Paula's Choice's options, although I swear by those in a heartbeat. My preference for this BHA is due to the emollient qualities, and I highly recommend it for treatment of acne & blackheads.

on 5/27/2015 7:53:00 PM

The product works gently to exfoliate and treat acne on my normal/combination skin. It doesn't prevent acne altogether, but it does reduce the time they last. While it treats acne, the moisturizer isn't drying. The instructions say use 2-3 times a day. I find twice a day to be enough. The moisturizer doesn't go well under makeup! It looks obvious if I apply BB cream or foundation over it.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought this because it's one of the few salicylic acid moisturizers that have the correct % and pH range (according to Paula's Choice).

I've been using this for about 2.5 months and I'm quite pleased with it. After an initial 3 week purging period, it has actually kept my skin very smooth and clear. It's not very moisturizing, so even for my combo/oily skin this won't be sufficient in the winter. But it's perfect as a summer time moisturizer if followed by an SPF product.

It's very pricey for an acne treatment that doesn't really do much else, and I hate the flip top cap. The opening is way too big and too much product oozes out with even a mild squeeze of the tube. SOLUTION: I switched caps with one from a handcream I have (not Philosophy), which is the same size but a much smaller opening. Works great now! Perfect amount of product every time!

I'll repurchase this until I can find a less expensive substitute that works equally well....

My question is this: With facts about salicylic acid's efficacy in a limited % and pH range widely known in the beauty industry (hello Internet Age), why do most companies still KNOWINGLY manufacture and sell acne products that just don't and CAN'T work????

I really like this moisturizer! I bought it as insurance against acne, not really as a treatment for existing acne, but it does help with that, too. I read about it on Paula Begoun's website, which I read with a grain of salt (or two), and thought that I would try it out because I have mild acne and also some hormonal acne. It's really pleasant to use and feels very silky. It does contain a lot of silicone, but not cyclopentasiloxane, which is the only one my skin really hates. It dries pretty quickly and does a good job of moisturizing without being oily or clogging. I actually love the feel of rubbing it on my face.

I used it day and night and it lasted me a few months. I definitely plan on repurchasing because it helped keep acne at bay and kept my existing acne from blowing up. The only thing wrong with this moisturizer is the horrible packaging. It comes in a squeeze tube that always squirts out too much and leaks all over the inside of the cap. It would be so much better housed in a pump jar or with a tube that had a smaller opening. Regardless of the crap packaging, though, I'm picking up another tube.

on 6/6/2014 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was pretty excited about this. I was using Paulas Choice BHAs, which were the only products that have ever minimized my nose blackheads (or filaments, whatever they are...either way, nothing...not retinol, AHAs, peels, Clarisonic, Oxy Pads....has ever cleared them).

Unfortunately, PC really irritated me with their robotic customer responses, failure to publish less than stellar reviews, refusal to acknowledge silicones and other ingredients in their products cause acne for some, and misleading research references...I.e., references to non peer reviewed journals, references to articles about drinking alcohol to show how alcohol is bad for skin, etc.

Anyway, she does have good reviews as far as saying which exfoliants are at the proper ph for effective exfoliation (and saying which sunscreens provide adequate UVA protection). So I consulted those for a BHA alternative. This ranked as a "Best" product (with, of course, a snarky reference to her own "superior" BHA products).

However, after several days my blackheads actually got worse. You'd think since I was already using a 2% BHA, the 1% would help maintain minimal appearance of those little buggers. Nope. My nose is as clogged and dotted as ever. I will be returning this product and going back to a simple regimen of CeraVe cleanser and moisturizers with some drugstore 2.5% BP for my acne. That honestly makes me look clearer and healthier than any high-end product I've tried.

By the way, I won't harp on it since others have already provided critiques of the packaging, but it irritates me that the tube comes seemingly half empty and the hole squeezes out about 4 times more product than necessary. After years of customer feedback, I can only assume that Philosophy continues to package it this way knowing people will over-pour it and need to repurchase it frequently.

For the meager extra beneficial ingredients, the price is absolutely ridiculous for the amount you get, too. For $40 I expect some antioxidants, more moisturizing ingredients, something. Pretty basic for a high end skin care line. Hmph. Not pleased with Philosophy and probably won't try anything from their line again.

on 4/11/2014 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

My sensitive/combination skin LOVES this stuff!!! Had bad irritation on my face after using Olay's serum and 7-in-one moisturizer; this felt good on my skin right after application and next morning my face was no longer red and it cleared up the tiny pimples I had!!! I cannot use Benzoyl (too harsh for me) but this absolutely did not irritate me! No dryness at all! It's kinda pricey, kinda, but you do get 2 oz which is about $20 per oz (not too bad) and it works!!!!! It works great under makeup too! Oh and beautypedia gives this high ratings.....I can understand why!

on 2/4/2014 12:52:00 PM

This is a nice lotion textured acne treatment that did exfoliate my skin, but did not leave me with clear skin! Something in this treatment is causing abnormal breakouts. Just too bad, because I heard nothing but great about it. Everybody's skin is different!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really love this moisturizer. I use it every morning after cleansing and before sunscreen. It has really helped keep my skin clear and that's saying a lot. I also end up using it most afternoons after work or after a workout and it's not drying for me at all (my skin is very oily and acne prone). It also mattifies slightly and has a velvety texture once you apply it. The opening to dispense the product is wayyy too big so be careful this stuff will fall out and you really don't need a lot to cover your entire face and neck. I have repurchased at least 3 times and will continue to buy, again just a really great product it works well for me I love it.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Philosophy and I just dont go well together. I realize that now. I have oily skin and the only thing this product did was clog my pores long enough for me to think it was helping with my oil. Beyond that , this product did nothing for me. After a couple days of use, I noticed 8(!!) huge welts where no welts had been before and my pores especially around my nose were incredibly clogged.

This product has some pretty atrocious packaging as well. it comes in a tube and has a hole that is too large, allowing this (ineffective) expensive moisturizer to leak out. Literally money down the drain. I will be returning this product and my ability to buy into the philosophy hype back to the store today.