Aura Cacia Argan Oil

3.8

on 4/15/2016 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

For years I've rotated between moisturizing with Argan, Grapeseed, Rosehip seed, or Coconut oil. Love them all, but Argan is the least greasy, in fact it's not really greasy at all. Argan absorbs right in, leaves my face so soft, plump and hydrated. It's great for under make up, and it's full of skin loving, barrier replenishing ingredients.
I attribute my great skin to the use of oils as moisturizers for the last 12+ years. It's the only thing I've done consistently, and I was super careless with tanning/not wearing SPF in FL for many years. My skin should be destroyed. Genetics only get you so far when it comes to photo-aging.

I have normal, clear skin, sometimes dry/sensitive due to Retin-a, and it causes me no irritations or acne. So I can't speak for those who may have oilier or acne prone skin.
I love it as a moisturizer. Totally worth looking in to.

*** For those concerned about the smell of Aura Cacia Argan oil: it does smell odd. Like olives, or human diarrhea. No, you most likely haven't got a bad bottle. It's just the way this brand of oil smells. From what I understand, cold pressed, single filtered Argan oil retains most of its scent and natural color, which are described as olive/citrus and light golden. Further filtering and refining can remove both of these. If you hate the smell, I suggest trying Josie Maran Argan oil, which is far less offensive than Aura Cacia, at least to me. (But with a ridiculous price tag)
Also, this could be goat-processed Argan oil, which from what I've read, can also effect the smell slightly. Because its first been pooped out by goats ;-) Although I've read that using goats in the process is phasing out.
I emailed Aura Cacia, and while they didn't mention any goat aspect, I was advised that yes, there is a pungent smell to their product and the bottle I was checking on was indeed not expired. (I provided them with the lot #).
I've since used several bottles of this and they all have that smell.

on 3/16/2016 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is the 2nd bottle of argan oil I've bought. The 1st was a brand called New Roots and it didn't have any scent. This one, Aura Cacia does. It comes in a dark glass bottle with a pump (I wish it had a dropper so I could better control how much comes out), and honestly, it smells like a barn. Yes, it smells like manure. But....the scent fades very quickly, and I find this makes my hair gorgeously soft and helps with frizz if I use it on wet hair before I wash it. If I use after washing, I find my chin length hair feels too greasy. I also started using a few drops as serum on my face and am finding the results to be fantastic. I don't know why I waited so long to try it. It does not give me acne or make me oily, it's actually helped regulate my oil a little and helped keep my skin clear and moisturized. The only reason this is not a 5 lippie product is because the pump bottle is annoying and every time I catch a whiff of it, all I can think is "I'm probably putting goat poop argan on my face". Having said that, I probably will re purchase this as the results are much more drastic than what I got with the New Roots argan, which I can't understand because I thought all argan oil came from the same source, and individual companies then either bottled it, removed the scent or processed it somehow into other products.

To Read all 8 Reviews, Login or Join

I'm not a fan of it AT ALL. I was looking for a 100% pure Argan oil so I went to my local Whole Foods Market to see what they had. I ran across this Aura Cacia brand. I read the ingredients and all it said was Argan oil so i purchased it for $14.99.
THIS OIL SMELLS LIKE MANURE. I emailed the VP of sales for Aura Cacia, Jennifer Ellis, to find out if this was the way it was supposed to smell (because I read reviews that Aura Cacia Argan Oil has no smell). I still haven't received a response.
Anyway, besides the awful manure smell this oil leaves a sticky, oily feel to my face like a cooking oil would probably do. ITS HORRIBLE. I wouldn't recommend this oil to my worst enemy. Buyer beware, I don't believe it's pure Argan oil. Thumbs down.

on 8/14/2015 11:27:00 PM

I wanted to wait a few weeks to give an honest review. I've been using this every morning and night after washing my face as a moisturizer. I was using Josie Maran's light argan oil before, but I ran out and was too lazy to drive a couple more miles to Ulta. I just picked this up at Earthfare instead.

So, it doesn't stink. The Josie Maran stuff smelled like fried chicken. It made me hungry. This has a kind of sweet, very vague perfume-y scent. Not good, but not awful. Doesn't matter, the smell doesn't last long so NBD. I'd rub cat turds on my face if it would give me beautiful skin.

After about a week I had a couple pimples pop up, but I decided to stick it out because my period was due soon and I'd already been through 3 bottles of the JM light argan oil with no big breakouts. I'm at probably 3 weeks of pretty consistent twice-daily use, and now I've gotten probably five new bumps on my jaw line, one under my nose, one on my chin, cheek, and two on my forehead. My skin was pretty well under control before I started using this brand of argan oil. I believe it to be the culprit causing my face to explode. Ok, it's not THAT bad, but I'm not messing with it anymore. I'm going back to the stupid expensive JM until I can find something better that doesn't break me out. You would think by 31 this wouldn't be an issue anymore. Ugh. Good luck, everybody else! Hope it works better for you than it did for me.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Great oil for the under eye area, not so much for my entire face. I have oily, acne prone skin which can be a bit temperamental at times. Hearing so much about Argan oil and how it's great for all skin types including oily skin, I decided to give it a try. Two weeks into using it, I experienced a couple of breakouts. Not sure if it was from the oil or my occasional hormonal breakouts, I stopped for a while and returned back to it a few months later. The same thing happened again. I quit using it for my face and started using it for my under eye area.

Now for my under eyes, I love it. I use a very small amount around my whole entire eye area nightly and by morning the skin around my eyes are so soft and hydrated. It soaks in within minutes of application. Be sure to use a small amount. I have no wrinkles, dark circles, or crows feet, but I do have a few fine lines and since using this oil there has been major improvements. I will continue to use it for preventive measures. The fact that it's natural and doesn't cause any irritation around my eyes is a definite plus for me. Great natural alternative to irritating eye creams.

::Updated 12/23/14:: I'm no longer using Argan oil. I was using it for a couple of months and while I did love it, I started experiencing little bumps under my eyes. I kind of figured it was from the oil because the same thing had happened when I had applied it to my face. My skin just doesn't agree with Argan oil. I'm now using Cold Pressed Grapeseed oil as an alternative and i'm very pleased with the results. The bumps are now completely gone and I'm still receiving the same benefits, even better, without the bad side effects.

After doing my research I finally hopped on over to the store to pick this up! After two days (~two days~!) I noticed a huge difference in how my skin is. I have combination skin; mostly dry. Honestly, it was so bad that when I would try to put makeup on it would just flake on me. However, since I've started using this, today (my second day), I put on foundation and it looked perfect! The smell is a little .. unpleasant, but other than that I can deal if it'll make my skin as awesome as it is now! I put this on twice a day :) .. simply amazing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Works really well on my sensitive skin! Didn't make me break out and wasn't too heavy! I wouldn't say it's a miracle or anything, but it's a good product.

on 7/10/2012 11:34:00 AM

I love this product, I have naturally dry curley hair and I hate to use a ton of product. I tried ONE N ONLY argan oil and I am hooked. My hair is not dry it is beuatiful. For the last 40 years I have hated my hair. I use the oil and the hydrting mask and I have soft silky manageable hair. Whether I dry naturally or blow it dry.