Neutrogena Shine Control Pressed Powder

4.1

Mica, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Silica, Boron Nitride, Squalane, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Seed Protein, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Nylon-12, Lauroyl Lysine, Methylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Propylparaben, Silica Silylate --- may contain (CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am oilier than Kuwait during the first Gulf war. Like a duck after the Exxon Valdez accident, or your average McDonals deep frier.

I've tried almost every oil control method under the sun- primers, powders, any makeup product geared towards or designed for oily skinned people. Physical sunscreen has helped a lot, but a mattifying powder is absolute necessity.

I found this looking for a cheaper alternative to Tarte smooth operator finishing powder, which is balls to the walls, but painfully pricy. Neutrogena makes a stunning oil control product that compares equally in its ability to mattify. I find I have to blot only twice or three times per day rather than 10 or more with other powders. It has a light finish and never cakes.

I am pleasantly surprised by this and will continue to repurchase. $11 or $12 is totally worth it, especially for people struggling with oil control.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I think I found my ideal shine control powder. I always get oily all over by midday and tend to look greasy, so I do need to have a shine control powder on hand everyday. These are some of the powders that I've tried in the past.
1. MUFE HD - works good at setting my makeup and providing maybe 30 minutes of shine control. But, it doesn't have long lasting effects. Plus, it doesn't travel well since it can be messy. I do appreciate this powder before applying my foundations to provide a matte canvas and it seems to work better for me this way.
2. MAC Blot - Works fantastic at controlling oil. However, it gives me a lot of clogged pores. So, I can't use this.
3. Maybelline Dream Matte - Another powder with great blotting power however it gives too much coverage for my taste and the packaging is atrocious.
4. Laura Geller - The most poor quality chalky powder I have ever encountered.
So, the list goes on to say the least but the train stops here at Neutrogena! I like that this powder is actually translucent on my NC40 skin. It doesn't leave behind ghost face but I hate the puffer they provided with this powder, it is very thin and the cotton is linty leaving behind lint balls on your face. I like to use a travel kabuki brush with this and it gives a better finish. I also find that this kept me shine free for hours and it doesn't make my foundation look cakey, very amazing if you ask me! Also, no clogged pores or breakouts from this lovely powder. Lastly, I love the packaging! The compact is built well and sturdy. The notch to close the powder, closes the lid snug so it won't snap open in your purse. I also love how the packaging is sleek and matte black. This powder is $12.99 USD and sold at most retailers.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I just bought this after seeing the positive reviews on MUA. I've used other Physicians formula powders for my sensitive skin, and this powder is like theirs, in that it is talc-free.

First try: After wearing this at work a full day (just the powder, no foundation etc..) - I noticed about 1-2 hours in - it does NOT handle my shine very well at all, if applying it with a powder brush. I think my Physician's Formula talc-free powder does a little better job - just because it gives some coverage compared to this translucent shade, if you want to just wear powder. My nose was shiny after about an hour. My forehead handled a little better. Since wearing no base foundation, I have found that this stuff really IS sheer.

Second try: I tried this over foundation to see if it would work a bit better at controlling shine? NOPE, if applying with a brush again. I dusted some of this on my T-zone after applying light foundation all over my face to even out skin tone - and the powder on my nose lasted not even 20 minutes. I had shine right back. My forehead is okay - but my nose just didn't hold at ALL.

Third: Am trying this again using Burt's Bees BB cream (love) and this over - and it's working well. I'm applying it with a small foundation brush, just tapping the powder on the spots that need oil control. My nose is the worst - nothing ever seems to control the oil there - but everywhere else seems really good. I do love applying this powder with a small brush - its easy to touch up and doesn't leave a mess all over (like ELF).

I've also found that this isn't near as "white" over my BB cream vs. ELF's HD powder. Both are translucent, but Neutrogena's is a little better.

+++++++++
EDIT: knocked a lippy off after trying E.L.F.'s High Def powder in sheer for $6.00 (compared to the $15 I spent on this stuff) - ELF is a bit better, but cheaper, and controls my shine just as welll, but I dislike the powder mess of ELF. Up and down if I'd repurchase this because it's so $$$.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I'm absolutely in love with it. I'm a guy so who loves to perfect my skin, and this does that. It has an extremely natural and blendable color, because I put it on and it covers up my acne and dark spots, which I thought was weird for non makeup. My skin is oily and this lasts long enough to last through 2 hours of intermediate exercise (I sweat a lot) and a remaining 6 hours of school. Which I thought was astonishing, and I only only spend like 5 minutes a applying it. The only bothering things in my opinion which I find about is: 1. The mirror sucks and it's better to use another one 2. The cotton pad it comes with clumps the powder up on my skin and makes it all horrible and very difficult to fix, so I use a makeup brush instead3. You need to be close to a window to get natural light because I noticed it leaves excess powder over your face which I couldn't see until I got close to a window. But overall the problems are fixable and I absolutely love this product (sorry for the long review).

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love the powder. I have used it for a while since it first came out. But lately with the past two compacts I've used, I begin to have concern. As the powder ran thin in the center and the metal plate below the powder became exposed I see a black color on my cotton pad applicator mixed in with the powder on the pad. Of coarse I suspected the exposed metal plate below holding the powder. I removed all the powder from the compact and wiped a cotton ball all around on that metal plate. the cotton ball came up with a dark thick amount of black stuff on it.
What I want to know is what is this metal plate holding the powder we put on our faces made of. Lead? made in china? What? Neutrogena company had no answer for me when I called them. I bought three 3 compacts all at the same time and they all have them same lot number on them. I am now on the second of these three compacts and fear the third will be the same.
A waste of money and scary.

HG! I press the powder into my T-zone with a sponge, then brush away the excess with a powder brush. My oilies are kept at bay for hours! I am pretty tan and this looks invisible on me. This works just as well as my Estee Lauder Double Matte Oil-Control Pressed powder. I also like the Neutrogena better than the MUFE HD powder. The MUFE made my skin feel a little itchy. The Neutrogena feels better on my skin.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I currently keep this in my work makeup bag to take care of my greasy tzone during break. Sets perfect, no caking, or settling in fine lines. Doesn't dry out my skin or make it feel parched. Good stuff for oily skin like mine,

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Very light powder that goes on translucent or "invisible" according to the packaging. This did break on me a few times in my purse so I started using it at home only and had no further breakage. It did help my oiliness stay at bay a bit and was even a good undereye setting powder. I won't buy again due to price. I think my Maybelline Matte powder or the Rimmel Stay Matte work just as well for my oil and they're cheaper.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

What a great powder! After trying the CoverGirl Oil Control Pressed Powder and hating it, I did my research and found this gem. It comes in one translucent color for all skin tones, and costs about $12 at Ulta. I love that I can wear this by itself or over bb cream. I have VERY oily, clog-prone skin, but I trust Neutrogena and this kept the shine away and didn't break me out! I love that it's non-comedogenic. It lasts for about 4-5 hours before the shine starts coming through, but it never cakes up or gets splotchy as it breaks down. Even though it's translucent, I never get a white cast, but I'm pale so maybe that's why. I use a powder brush (not the sponge it comes with), and just swirl it on. It doesn't look chalky or powdery, and not too matte. I'm pretty sure I'll repurchase!

I have VERY OILY acne prone skin. Not to mention I live in Florida where it's almost always hot and humid. Anyways, I wear this alone on my bare skin and in controls my oil so well. I don't need to blot till roughly 10 hours after applying. Usually I have to blot 3 hours after washing my face. LOVE this product it's a miracle worker. A bit expensive but I will forever repurchase.