Chantecaille Olivia

Chantecaille Olivia
Chantecaille, La Palette d'Olivia (2011)

4.2

on 3/20/2012 9:58:00 AM

The contents of this palette changed circa 2010. This review is for the current version (as of 2011).

from L to R, top row then bottom:

eyeshadow: Peony Lasting Eye Shade - matte pink

eyeshadow: Granite Shine Eye Shade - taupe shimmer

eyeshadow: Zinc Lasting Eye Shade - matte medium brownish-grey

eyeshadow: Obsidian Lasting Eye Shade - matte dark smoky charcoal grey

Product - Nice assortment of relatively neutral yet classic shades: a blush, five neutral-to-cool shadows, one purple shade for "pop", and one liner shade. Joy wears coral-toned rosy pink on my AAB/NC25 skin; nice, glowy, and not too bright for my coloring. Obsidian Lasting Eye Shade is also found in the Les Bijoux eye defining palette. The eyeshadows are nicely pigmented and feel very smooth. I really prefer this lineup to the previous, warmer/browner version.

Comparisons - The color range is similar to Lancome Color Design Artist Palette in Stylish Neutrals, which leans more pink-purple than neutral and is less versatile than Olivia.

Packaging - 8-pan (36mm) palette with mirror-finish exterior, brush well, and full size mirror under the lid. The included eyeshadow brush is of good quality; it would be even nicer if the brush were dual-ended for lining or finer detail work. Overall, it has the same size and layout as the Stila 8-pan palettes, though the Stila pans are smaller (35mm). Retail on this palette was $135 ($224 value, if purchased individually).

Overall - Modern yet classic, and absolutely gorgeous. Love it, but not sure I'd shell out full retail for it - the price is pretty steep. continued >>

on 11/15/2010 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The colors are in a beautiful purple/pink range despite some photos making them look brown or dirty.

The colors really are great with some matte and some slightly shimmery yet sophisticated - I returned the palette because after applying the eyeshadow, a lot of it landed under my eye and I had to clean it off. I expect this from a cheap drug-store brand and am not willing to put up with it on a daily basis with a luxury brand. In other words, the formula is too chalky. You will need lid primer in order to wear these shadoes which introduces problems of wearing primer.
Also, the included brush for eye shadow should have gone the extra step to have one end as a liner brush like Bobbi Brown palettes do.

on 2/15/2006 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

These palettes are so beautiful i have three and just must have them. The colors are always stunning. But for $125, its not worth it. You get a sleek silver case with a large mirror and nice brush, although its a little thin. The colors are goregeous and the darker colors last all day. The lighter ones do need to be reapplied if you wear this for more than 5 hours. They are not as pigmented as lot of brands which is why i took points off but i still own several of them for the sheer beauty. The cheek color is mood, a shimmery rose pink shade. Quartz, Granite, Crystal, Perle are all shine eye shades so they have shimmer. Quartz is a light pink with mauvey undertone, Granite is a taupe, crystal is a light silver, perle is a light pink. The other shades are lasting eye shades so they are matte. Get Patchouli, a mavuey brown plum, peony, a light pink and graphite a dark grey. The light shades dont really show much color. Very pretty. $125 is alot though and i think can be better spent.

on 12/11/2005 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

The colors are neutral, subtle, and lovely. I wanted this forever and finally broke down last weekend as I was making my way through Neiman Marcus on my way to get my hair done. I'm pretty pale so I admit I have to use a bit of heavy hand on some colors to get them to show up but I would rather have that control with layering then having to be so careful to go lightly. I have small children and another one due any minute, so having these colors I don't have to be precise with is a big plus. The packaging is very lovely and the brush that accompanies is decent. But you're on your own for applying the blush. It's a splurge and I would splurge again but there is so much product in this palette that I fully expect to get sick of it before I would ever have to replace.

on 12/15/2005 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Other

I bought this at Neiman's after trying her lip sheers and let me tell you this palette is AMAZING! I am a cool tone, so this palette works great on me. The colors are cool, pale, and sheer/shimmery, but buildable (meaning you can layer them) and you look great. What I like is the fact that I look like I gleam without the overpowering of make-up. The colors in this kit really make your eyes pop, esp. blue eyes. Great palette kit!

on 11/17/2006 3:19:00 PM

chantecaille makes good quality eyeshadows. this palette is really pretty and allows you to create a variety of eye combinations. but its pretty basic and i have to say, carries a hefty price tag. granted that its a good value for money since you get 7 shadows, 1 blush, 1 brush and the palette -- but it might make more sense to buy select shades of your choice because while all these shades are easy to wear, not all will be favourites and you'll neglect some shades for sure (at least i do - i tend to just use the same 3-4 colours)

some shades are shimmery, others are more matte. but they're very wearable as the shimmery shades are subtly shimmery, while the matte shades dont look flat and dull. they're smooth in texture, apply beautifully and arent chalky. lasting power isnt that great - but with a good base, it can last for the day.

perle is one of my fave shades in this palette. the palette comes with a good sized mirror. the brush is actually not useless like how alot of palette brushes are.

its a classic palette thats beautiful - its something the lady who likes a chic palette will want to own.

continued >>

on 1/18/2003 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Argh... the price... it's very hard to swallow, although you are "saving money." But how much better would it be if you could choose the colors and personalize it? At least you can refill, and you can end up e/s from different lines in here. Very nice presentation, but as usual, the plastic-y container bothers me... The colors are lovely, more on the cool side, as Jenny below noted. Three of my fave colors were in here... but my cousin fell in love with this palette, and so it no longer belongs to me... so, yes, this will be a repurchase! ;-)

on 11/25/2002 4:07:00 PM

PROS: palette contains several colors to try; refillable; high quality eyeshadows and blush; CONS: $120 is a large investment to make at one time but I'm guessing it would cost you $165 or so to buy the shades separately COMMENTS: cool color choices include Mood Cheek Shade, Quartz, Patchouli, Granite, Crystal, Perle, Peony, and Graphite; I personally like palettes because you get to see several colors at once when you open the compact; comes with a good quality basic eye brush (although I prefer three eye brushes - liner, lid, and crease - when applying eye makeup)

on 12/18/2004 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

wow, this is my saving grace.
i don't wear color well, but everything included in this palatte is wearable and just makes me look pretty and alive!
the hues are sheer but definitely buildable without looking cakey.
two thumbs wayyyy up!

-Crystal Shine Eye Shade: pearly-shimmered grey
-Perle Shine Eye Shade: champaign shimmer
- Peony Lasting Eye Shade: baby pink e/s, matte
- Graphite Lasting Eye Shade: matte blue-ish black
- e/s brush with wooden handle: great quality, will not shed even with daily use.
(edit: Wrote this review before reading MsGolightly's great color description below. Check it out!)

This palette offers wearable, everyday colors that can be glammed up with the right application. For those who are concerned about cool vs. warm colors, this is a cool-toned palette.

I love my Rites of Spring Chantecaille palette, but if you are new to Chantecaille palettes, La Palette Olivia is the one to try. The colors aren't as exciting as, say, NARS palettes, but you will be pleased by the superior quality and versatility of this palette.

If you already own many of the colors that this palette offers, you should try this palette for its quality: The colors are more complex than they appear in pictures, and they are not chalky at all. Chantecaille blushes and e/s, FYI, are very silky and the colors to blend right into the skin, never fading or wandering the entire day. (If you have dark lids, however, you might find that these shadows too sheer.) Chantecaille is to eyeshadow what NARS is to blushes, in my experience.

The price is a bit steep, but well worth it! Classy and chic! 5 lippies!

continued >>