NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo

4.5

O.K so, there's a lot of people who absolutely loooove these. I do too or at least I did. They aren't bad at all. But on days when you are having extremely chapped lips, it won't do the work. It goes on buttery on application. After drying slowly it gets very dry, dry to the point where your lips look dead. The shade Monte Carlo is absolutely gorgeous though. It's 98% similar to MAC Rubywoo. Lovely smell. Because it's cheap. Go ahead and try a few if you haven't.

on 7/4/2017 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This was my first matte lipstick purchase several years ago and I still love the color! I really like the NYX soft matte lip cream texture and the fact that it doesn't dry my lips out.

on 8/25/2016 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

If you are looking for matte lipstick, this is a good buy. It's cheap, nice looking packaging (secure, doesn't ooze around the applicator), and lasts a long time. In fact, too long! Last night I went to bed 8 hours after applying this, after dinner, drinks, and reapplying some balm on top, and it was still there!

I don't think I'll be purchasing another matte lipstick---I bought this one just to test the look, and it's not for me. However, this one is relatively non-drying. When you rub your lips together, it feels a little sticky.

My biggest complaint about this product is that the color of the packaging is really misleading. At least on me, the 3 shades I tried looked completely different on the applicator than the outside of the tube--and different on my lips than on either!

This looked like a nice, deep, classic red in the tube. However, on my lips it became bright dark fuschia. I looked like I had painted my lips with a red Sharpie. Completely unnatural and no way to play it off! I have fair, yellow-toned skin, which right now is a bit tan. If you can carry off super bright lip shades, this might work for you, but I looked like The Joker!

There is a strong vanilla smell when first applied, but it fades in a minute or two. The applicator (doefoot) is slim giving you good control around the edges.

Overall, a good product - just not for me.

on 12/28/2016 6:00:00 AM

Beautiful colour on my yellowish skin tone, colour dried to the exact colour on the tube. Unfortunately, lipsticks only last 2 hours on my lips, this product is no exception. Maybe I'm just clumsy but dark lipsticks tend to smudge and smear and I seem to get it all over my chin and nose.

I'm allergic to fragrance but thankfully I'm not allergic to Nyx SMLCs!

Also, Monte Carlo is an exact dupe for UD's Mrs Mia Wallace!

on 4/26/2017 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I am NC 30-35, yellow olive toned, with deeply pigmented lips that have a cool undertone. I assumed when searching for a red that my match would be blue toned. When I swatched this Monte Carlo and Amsterdam, the latter, an orange based tone worked best against my skin. However I use both because when applied lightly to dry but previously moisturized and exfoliated lips, (I scrap off the doe applicator or use a brush, Amsterdam looks like a natural daytime red. Monte Carlo somehow looks dressier and more evening. This formulation doesn't dry my lips and wears evenly. I can extend wearing time if I use a primer or bit of foundation and if I blot then lightly dust powder through the tissue. I have also lined with a natural lip liner, but I don't really have problems with lipstick migrating or bleeding. It doesnt feel like I'm wearing much product. I don't usually wear any red, so this is all a new concept for me. My favorite way to wear it (for occasions) is to first apply 1 thin layer of Amsterdam. Blot. Then one thin layer of montecarlo.

I got this idea because when swatched on my skin, Monte Carlo skewed blue, pink red (aka leaning towards fushia which I didn't want) Obviously I don't do this for every day. Personally I think the doe foot applicator dispenses too much product, kind of like mascara applicators.

I wore two thin layers of this product recently to an event. The lips lasted from 4pm -1130 pm in roughly the same condition through late afternoon activities, cocktails, dinner and and after dinner. By the end of the evening the color had worn evenly into a stain. No reapplication. No special care was taken, although I don't rub my lips on a napkin. There was also no transfer of lip color onto my drinking glass.

Note: NYX soft lip creams in different shades perform differently. I purchased two of the Berlin shade. Both were thin, moussey textured and dry. Very different from Monte Carlo or Amsterdam.

on 9/12/2016 6:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Just for the fact that I get compliments every single time I wear this, without exaggeration, I would repurchase it. My skin has a yellow undertone to it yet somehow this lipstick compliments my features beautifully (despite its cool tone).

The funniest thing about Monte Carlo? It makes my lips look larger (even with a lip liner) and not smaller. Somehow it defies the rules of dark lipsticks, at least for me!

The colour aside: everything else is just perfect. My dream was to find a matte liquid lipstick that wasn't extremely drying and didn't leave my shriveled lips begging for mercy (I.e.: at least a little bit moisturizing) and I have finally found it - and the best part is it's from an affordable brand!

It's long lasting. It does wear a little from eating or drinking but only slightly. I've never had a liquid lipstick that didn't transfer anyways, so yeah.

Yes, I have to apply a few coats to get full opacity but this doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's still very pigmented and its long wearing quality makes up for that. Also, it smells like vanilla! It doesn't last very long though, the smell disappears a few minutes after applying it.

NYX overachieves yet again!

on 10/30/2015 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I own just about every shade of this line for a reason - they are amazing. This particular shade is gorgeous. WARNING - the actual shade is nothing like the color of the tube. It's lighter but if you want it deeper, simply line and fill in your lips with a dark lip liner and problem solved (FYI, I use NYX Blackberry slim lip pencil to deepen the color). The scent is heavenly, the formula, while matte, is not at all drying. Its lightweight, so you don't feel it on and it does not crack, flake, or ball up like some matte liquid lipsticks.

The price point cannot be beat - highly recommend. Love me some NYX.

on 5/26/2016 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Love this blue based red color. I think it is flattering on fair and deeper skin tones. Once applied it doesn't go anywhere. It fades a bit after a few hours but my lips remain red tinted. Reapplying is not an issue. It dries completely matte which i love just be sure to exfoliate and wear lip balm beforehand.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Decided to give into the hype and I'm glad I did. Very good lip cream formula! It may go on a bit clumpy but it dries to an excellent matte finish and it barely budged when I ate strawberries and a cheese stick earlier. I find this formula better than the liquid suede. Now I know what to get as a cheap but good quality liquid lipstick as I'm trying to save money.

on 1/14/2016 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Ok this one I think is the best I've tried so far formula wise of nyx, the color is great, staying power is great, perfect nude red!

Popular Lips Products